FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Hello All! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/2599-hello-all.html)

trent_rn 12-08-2010 10:52 AM

Hello All!

Hi everyone!

My name is Brooke and I'm from Canada and just recently joined FitDay to keep track of my intake. My current stats:

Height: 5'9"
CW: 167.5lbs
GW: 140lbs (by April 27 2011)

I'm horrible for mindless eating and as a once-again student, exam and essay stress has me eating even more. So this is my effort to keep track of how much I'm actually eating. I'm also engaged with my wedding coming up in May 2013 so I want to get a good start on weight loss and toning! Right now I try to get out for a jog a few times a week but with the wonderful Canadian winter, I find myself less motivated to get out in the cold!

Now with the holidays coming up I'm worried that I'm going to be packing on even more weight...Any tips for keeping up with my diet and motivation to get exercising?! I'm hoping for the Wii Fit+ and EA Sports Active for Christmas which will help get me moving at least on those truly horrible wintery days when it's just too cold or snowy!

Also, any recommendations for exercises I can do inside without a lot of space or equipment? Thanks so much everyone!

rpmcduff 12-09-2010 06:14 AM

Welcome. An inside stairway that you can run up and down is a good alternative to jogging. Situps, push-ups, lunges and squats can all be done with body weight in limited space (you can hold heavy text books for added resistance). Exercise videos (here we can borrow them from the library) can be good aerobic options.

I think every member here has some trepidation about holiday eating. Eat in moderation keeping your goal in mind but enjoy yourself. Get back on track as soon as possible.

01gt4.6 12-09-2010 06:48 AM

welcome to the forums. I'd recommend P90X, a jump rope is also good.

tandoorichicken 12-09-2010 06:48 PM

Hi there! I totally identify with exam season. One more to go for me (Monday), then I'm finally done with grad school! :D

I'll second Ron's advice to remember to enjoy yourself come Christmas eve dinner; holiday season is a crummy time to start a diet, and plus, the whole point is to be thankful for the food on your plate and celebrate being with family. Don't be too hard on yourself if you gain a few pounds over the holidays, it happens to the best too.

Exercising outside (or even getting motivation to drive to the gym) can be tough in crappy weather, so there's lots of bodyweight movements you can do in the comfort of your own home. I wrote a fitness program on this thread that you can do indoors without much equipment (just some dumbbells or your loaded up backpack or a small animal) and it's got some inherent variety so you won't get bored. And, it will definitely help you get "toned" (there's no such thing as real "toning," the effect comes from a combination of muscle building and fat burning that makes that area of your body more shapely).

Good luck with finals, and happy holidays!