Notices

Hello Everyone!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello Everyone!

I am new here, and I am so upset. I went down south for about a week during Thansgiving to be with family. I don't know what happend. I just ate 1 plate and it wasn't even a lot of food. But I guess when we traveled to Myrtle beach, everything went out the window. I weighed myself today, and I am 204lbs! So discussed. I was doing so well, however, I go to the gym at least 3 times a week and all I do is walk for 30 minutes, and use about 2-3 equipments, but none that would bulk me up and I really don't eat that much during the day except when I was on vacation. Just really need some sound advice and support. My ideal weight goal is 150, so I have to lose 54 pounds! OMG!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Hi bq41, welcome to the forums!

A lot of us are fighting holiday weight gain alongside you. It's natural to eat a lot during holiday feasts, so my first bit of advice would be not to focus so much on dieting during Thanksgiving and Xmas eve! Those are days to enjoy a good warm winter meal with your family. Ever heard the saying, "it's not so much what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas that matters, it's what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving" ?

If you can commit to eating more healthily (and there are plenty of others on here that can give better tips about that than I can) then I will tell you this: move more. This means, when you go to the gym, walk for 45 minutes, not 30 minutes. Instead of 2-3 machines, use free weights and do 4-5 exercises instead. Don't use any weight that's less than 5lbs. You won't bulk up. Trust me. See this woman? She's squatting 225 lbs, which is more than I can squat, and she's not bulky at all. (You can ask a trainer to teach you the movement).

It also means move more in your day-to-day life. It's easy to get caught up in the idea that exercise can only happen in the gym. But this couldn't be further from the truth. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If your grocery store / post office / bank is less than two miles away, walk there instead of driving. Rearrange the furniture in your house. Anything that gets you moving is exercise!

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

A couple of things to consider. Are your 30 minute walks challenging you? I am not saying walking is bad but if you are not sweating, and raising your heart rate then you aren't getting the most out of your workout time. Look into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to help you get the most out of your cardio work.

I agree with Nik about the weight lifting. Move to the free weights, you do not have the testosterone to bulk. You will build denser muscles and will look more 'toned' (I hate that expression). If you can perform more than 12 repetitions (preferably 5 to 6) of a exercise with good form, without resting, the weight is not heavy enough. More muscle will also help you burn more calories. Eating more protein will aid in recovery and strength gains.

Turning up the intensity will help you see the results you want.