FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Needing some extra motivation (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/2587-needing-some-extra-motivation.html)

caseykm 12-07-2010 07:42 AM

Needing some extra motivation

Wouldn’t call myself “new” because I’ve been a member since August or so but I haven’t used the forums yet. I’m looking for some extra motivation to help me get back on track.

My name is Casey and I’m 22F 5’6” 175ish lbs. I’ve struggled with weight all my life. Both of my parents are obese as well as my extended family. Needless to say I never learned healthy eating habits or portion control growing up. In college I actually lost weight (went from 185 to around 175) simply by walking to classes and being away from the junk my family eats. During my senior year my boyfriend of 6 years went off to grad school and that also helped me lose a few lbs because I wasn’t eating like a guy and going out every weekend. Also with him away I found myself actually working out more to pass the time! It was great. Eventually I got enough motivation to run my first half marathon in May of this year. At that time I was in the best shape I think I’ve ever been in my adult life – I was at 160lbs and could run 8 miles before stopping. However that quickly changed when I graduated a few weeks later. I moved across the country to be with my bf and got a 40 hour per week desk job. It only took a couple of months but I gained back the weight and now I’m at 175 and feeling pretty angry at myself. I work out 3-4 times per week and I’m trying to eat better so hopefully I can get back to where I was. I’ve run 3 races since I moved but it hasn’t been the same.

I’m happy to be part of this group and hope it helps me achieve my goals (again!). Any support and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

01gt4.6 12-07-2010 10:41 AM

great job on what you've done so far. I've done a 1/2 marathon, I could not imagine being able to do a marathon. I can't imagine being able to run a mile without stopping, so my hat's off to you. You done more already than most people will ever do. Just track your food and activities and it will all fall into place.

stopcounting 12-08-2010 03:08 AM

It's important to remember that weight fluctuates a LOT during life changes, like moving or changing careers and the like. It doesn't mean that you've done anything wrong...it's perfectly normal, and nothing to hate yourself over. People talk about the 'freshman 15' in college, but really, there's a 'freshman 15' for almost every major life shift.

I can't give you much advice about your exercise routine, but I find that walking really helps. For an extra exercise bonus, intersperse your walks with quick jogs before taking another few minutes to relax. Using a timer helps...just gradually up the amount of time you spend running and decrease the amount of time you spend walking. That should help build up your stamina, which might help get you back to the running-8-miles stamina that you had before. I also find that it helps clear my mind.

Best of luck!