Notices

New fat girl saying hello!!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy New fat girl saying hello!!

Hi you all. I suppose that at this point I'm desperate, so I started looking up "diet places" online. I don't know where to start, what to do, eat or breathe, I don't know how to cook, I don't know left from right in this weight business...I keep trying to lose it, but it keeps finding me back!

I'm an only child who began her steady relationship with weight gain right when her only parent (and Friend and Family and everything else) died. I've tried controlling my portions, eating 5-6 times a day (healthier stuff), but I fall back into the midnight meals - it's not that I get up and have an appetite, I can never sleep before 3 or 4 am. I've mustered all the resolve that my personal & physical strength allow me to, and still, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been (nearing 230lbs at 5'6"), I can hear my joints crack jokes about me, I've had the first surgery of my entire life (appendix), and I'm having the oddest symptoms come and go: from suddenly throwing up for no reason or after eating certain things I never had a problem with (cheddar cheese & sparkling water being oddly strong triggers), and when throwing up, I feel my organs cramp (not muscles, ORGANS), and it's painful as hell (usually I have to throw myself on the floor and twist & turn and heavily massage my abdominal area for them to go away). I am now more scared because my stool has been of an odd consistence and color, & per what I've read, though I feel fine, I'm afraid I might have something horrible.

I can't go to something like Weight-Watchers because I lost my job (great, huh?) & am barely scraping by, & I'm so worried about dying I can't even begin to tell you.

Anyhow...sorry to ramble on (I guess I really took the "introduction" term literally). If anyone picks up an interest in telling me where I can start, I'd appreciate it. I really don't know where to look to for support or what kind of support to look for, so any guidance will be more than appreciated.

Thanks,
Totally Lost Overly Fat Girl.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there!
I honestly don't know what kind of answer to give to your post. Your situation is kinda complicate and first of all I would encourage you to seek some medical help for your abdominal symptoms. I STRONGLY doubt it will be something bad OR that you are going to die... but still that's what I would do.
As for weight loss, that's fixable. You need to start looking for some motivation inside of you to start eating healthy and exercising. You can find lots of info in this forum; it has helped me both to understand more of "this weight business" (!) and to keep me going.
We are here to help and get help, so please feel free to ask whatever question you may have =)
And good luck!!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hello, and welcome. I have experienced the "organ cramping" thing myself (or something like it). It's scary as hell. However, I have discovered this: when I take a really good vitamin supplement, plus extra B-comples, and extra Vit D.... the cramping isn't as bad. So, I'm pretty sure it's some kind of vitamin/mineral deficit. Although, I did notice it was really, really bad just before they discovered my hypothyroidism, so that may play into it too. Also, wheat and dairy products seem to have an effect, so I've tried to stay away from them. Taking a course of really good probiotics was helpful too.

I would start with some good supplements (vitamins and probiotics) and a gluten free diet. Limit your dairy to yogurts. Limit your fats to about 30% of your intake, and no fried foods. Try that for about 10 days and see how you feel. You may need to experiment to see what works and what doesn't. You don't need Weight Watchers, most of us just need a new way of thinking and being, and that take some trial & error, introspection & feedback.

Ideally you would go to your doctor and share your concerns, perhaps get thyroid & vit D levels tested. In these times, with joblessness and lack of health insurance, I know a lot of people who just don't go see the doctor. Maybe that's your case too, I dunno. So do some experimenting to see what your needs are. Fitday is a good place to track things and share your journey. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
FitDay Member

@vsabino
Thank you for your words of advice - it's the motivation part I have a problem with. I'm one of those people whom, if she doesn't have a "buddy" to run toward to goal with, it's hard to just push through. Inside me would be an option, though I really wouldn't know where to begin, since it feels so empty. Oh, I would be the first one to go see a doctor but I lost my job not long ago, don't have government or other health insurance, so I'm kinda out of luck on that front My regular doctor, though, has agreed to charge me half of her office call fee if I ever decide to see her for something...but I can't even afford that right now, so I just pray that I find a new job soon!!

@LisaAnnie
You know? As I read your note I kept saying bigger and bigger OMIGODs because you hit the nail on the head on some things you couldn't have possibly known about b/c I've not told anyone (of course). The hypothyroidism is one of them - I've been actually diagnosed w/it. Then, I'm also allergic to wheat, dairy (which I did mention) & oranges (which I adore). What ARE probiotics? I'm unfamiliar with this. Thanks for the advice on how to start...Yogurt should be no problem b/c I like it, but how do I know what has gluten? As you can see, I'm rather ignorant when it comes to food components... As I told vsabino w/regard to the doctor, it's indeed as you suspect. Just waiting for a new job so I can go see one again.

Thank you BOTH for your support, I'll probably be seeing you around here!

~Blanche.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM
FitDay Member

@SisterJen - thanks for all the leads!! Believe it or not, every bit helps b/c I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to food + whatever relates to it (as you'd see evident if you took a look at me!).
Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Blanche :^) Gluten is a protein found in some grains. Someone with Celiac Disease, has a severe reaction to gluten and it will cause trouble in their gut, and systemically because they don't absorb the nutrients from their foods. So, they can become malnourished, vitamin/mineral deficient and weakened immune system, even though they are eating regularly.

It sucks because gluten is in soooo many things! Even soy sauce and salad dressings aren't safe. There are more and more gluten free products being offered, so there is some good news. And some stores (like Trader Joes) carry a wide selection of gluten free products. I do well with rice, oats, and most corn products... if they aren't mixed with wheat. Celiac.org has lots of info on gluten and how to recognize it in labeling (for instance: "modified food starch") . Generally, it's wise to stay away from already prepared foods.

Probiotics: A healthy human gut has a mix of living organisms in it, that when in balance, helps it to maintain health and proper function. This mix can become unbalanced when conditions like celiacs, stomach flu, antibiotics, irritable bowel, and perhaps severe stress occur. A course of probiotics helps to restore the natural balance (the gut flora). Yogurt has some probiotics, especially a good greek yogurt. But it doesn't have enough to put things right if the gut is really imbalanced, so I get probiotics at a health store, drug store, or off the internet. They can be expensive, but after a couple weeks you don't need to keep taking them... just eat some yogurt a couple times a week. Also, cook with real garlic and onion, helps keep the gut in good health.

Whew.

One other thing I found that I could not tolerate was soda pop. It would temporarily help to sip on a diet soda, but cause way more pain in the long run.

Like I said earlier, you will need to experiment to come up with what works for you. Good luck and keep checking in with your progress!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 PM
FitDay Member

Blanche, how long ago did you have your appendix out? Were you vomiting or having the wrenching gut pains before your surgery?

I ask because after my neice had surgery, her intestines got a kink in them and she was very ill. Couldn't hold down food. That would be extremely serious and necessary to see a doctor.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum Blanche! First off I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in 1998 and it's still difficult for me to deal with.

There is a way to get a detailed medical exam that won't cost you a penny, however, I don't think that I could ethically come out tell you how to go about it. I will say this, if you are in fear for your life, you may want to look into a life insurance policy.

BTW beating around the bush isn't one of my strong points. There may or may not be something in my "public profile" that explains why I may or may not have to beat around the bush. Damn I'm getting better at this.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! There are a lot of great people here that will help you along the way, you are not alone.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-29-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:04 AM
FitDay Member

Food.com - Thousands Of Free Recipes From Home Chefs With Recipe Ratings, Reviews And Tips

I love this web site! It's a huge data base of user created recipes. You can sort by ingredient, difficulty, prep time, exclude certain ingredients, it's awesome. I could spend hours here. I'm trying to learn how to cook fast healthy recipes the rest of the family will actually eat, and have come up with a few "hits" here already.

It sounds like you're under a wee bit of stress Well, stress will mess up my guts something fierce! You might have good luck with Activia yogurt, it's got the probiotics added to it. It was a little too "effective" for me, if you get my drift but tasty. Stress also keeps me up at night, and lack of sleep makes me more stressed...vicious circle.

Hypothyroidism will whomp you six ways from Sunday, it's not just a matter of weight gain. I don't have it personally but there's a lot of posters here that do, they might have a support thread going I don't know. If you start one I'm sure you'll get replies. We're friendly souls here so come back often.