Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > Newcomers
My saved Custom Food Entries don't show in Search. >

My saved Custom Food Entries don't show in Search.

Community
Notices

My saved Custom Food Entries don't show in Search.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default My saved Custom Food Entries don't show in Search.

Hello, I'm new to FitDay. I needed a site where I could just type in what food I ate and the nutrition content would populate automatically. I just don't have time to look up lots of items, and it seemed that FitDay was just what I needed. However, I have already encountered a few problems.

I would think that Deli Sliced Ham (or some combination of that description) would be in the database with this wording. However, no matter how many ways I entered Ham Deli Sliced, it didn't come up. I tried entering Deli Ham, Packaged Ham, Sliced Packaged Ham, but couldn't hit on the right combination. No results, none. I really didn't have time to search any further, so I used the Custom Food option and entered all the information (Which was exactly what I was trying to avoid, aggh!) and saved it. A couple of days later, I tried to enter Deli Sliced Ham into my food log again, assuming that now it was there since I saved it, but no joy. I went back to find the previous log of mine to see if it was still saved, and it was. I opened THAT log up, then changed the date that was displayed, and entered it that way. Pretty convoluted, and this just won't work if that's what I have to do. I should note that I finally entered just Ham in the search today,. and scrolled through all the listings... Ham Sliced was there, and Deli was in sub-description only. Why, oh why, didn't it bring me up Ham Sliced when I entered Ham Sliced Deli? : / No bueno.

Also, I notice that it randomly takes me to the user log in page and asks me to log in again, while I am actively entering information. Sometimes I need to sit down quick, enter my info, and go! Between these two issues, FitDay will sadly be a no-go for me : (

Please, can someone help me out to 1) fix the Custom Food save problem, and 2) help me understand why the program logs me out all the time. I use Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Image & Flash Blocker... maybe that's contributing? If so, again, FD will be a no-go.

Also, what's with the search engine? I tried searching with quite a few different word combinations, but missed it by including one word (Deli) which automatically disqualified all the database entries that could have matched at least one, but even two words that I entered. Even simple descriptions of super common foods aren't there. Bell pepper being one of them: "No results for Bell pepper." Really? : ( Is there some magic word that I'm missing to describe your basic bell pepper?

Thanks so much!

DS

Last edited by DogSnoggins; 03-24-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Clarification and condensing
Old 03-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Did you ever find the 'bell pepper'? It is listed as 'pepper, raw.' Then, I see a pepper that is red and cooked, and a pepper that is green and cooked. Go figure...

(Maybe 'bell pepper' is the American name for that?)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

No, rather than spend time messing around with all the different ways of entering it in order to find it in the FD database (like you did!, thanks, you have more patience and time than I), I just entered it as a custom food.

Honestly, there are so MANY types of 'peppers', (haha, one source said there are over 900 varieties!) that it would seem we should be able to enter the specific variety in the search bar, and then see the options for that variety.

I don't know, is "Bell Pepper" just too broad (or narrow) of a search parameter for FD? O_o Seriously, "pepper, RED cooked" could be a Bell, Parano, Chili, Serano, Habanero, Cayenne, Chinese, omgosh, there's way too many to list. And 'Pepper, raw?" Don't even try to figure out how many fall under THAT definition! : )

Anyway, I will give FD the old 'college try' for a little while until I get totally frustrated, in hopes that someone will at least help me with why my custom entries don't carry over to the next day. As it is now, I will have to re-enter the information for 'Bell Pepper, red' again next time I eat one, it seems, or go find it in a previous day and do it the round-about way.

Doesn't this whole process bother anyone else? lol

Last edited by DogSnoggins; 03-25-2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

When you've entered your custom food, saved it and added it to your food log, does it show up in your Recent Foods?

You must be using Fitday2, right?

In the food log, you click on 'New Custom Food' and a screen comes up to 'Create New Food.' You fill in the box with Custom Food Name and then fill in all the information you have in the boxes below. Then click on 'save' and click on 'add to food log.'

Then you scroll down and you see that the food shows up in your log for the day.

If you want to see the food showing up as saved, you type it in the 'Search' box (next to the orange magnifying glass) - the box is under the words 'Food Log' . Beneath that box, you'll see 'All, Recent, Custom' in tabs.

The result you created won't show up in a search when 'All,' the first tab, is highlighted. You should see it when you click on 'Recent' so that it is highlighted. If you click on 'Custom,' with the search argument still there, it should show up in the Custom list of foods, too.

When you see the name of the food in the box, over to the far right is a plus sign that is under 'Add the food' and when you click on that plus sign, it will bring it up and then you have to click on the displayed food's 'Add to Food Log' box to add the food.

I haven't been adding foods for a while, and not in Fitday2, but I just tried it with some Pillsbury cake information and it worked for me. I'm in Firefox.

With my example, I should add that I used the word 'Pillsbury' alone in the search box. What shows up under the All tab below that is a list of some Pillsbury cake and brownie products but my custom food is not in that list. It does show up when I click on the Recent tab and when I click on the Custom tab. The whole text that I typed in as the title for my food, which I then click on the '+' box to the right to add. When it comes up, I have to click again to 'Add to Food Log.'

Did that work?

I can't do much about the 'bell pepper search' situation. Searching for foods is just something you get used to - the more you use the database, it does tend to get easier.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 03-25-2015 at 06:56 PM.