Notices

Starting my Low Carb High Fat diet

Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Starting my Low Carb High Fat diet

Hello! I am so glad I found this site. I am a 51 yr old woman and the last time I went to my doctor, I weighed in at 335 lbs. I am also a type 2 diabetic and I have been using insulin to get my blood sugar down. It seemed that every time I went for my checkup, I was told to up my basal insulin dosage of Lantus because my fast acting insulin was just not getting my numbers low enough. Besides the terrible blood sugar control, my weight continued creeping up regardless of the low fat diet I was following.
I had tried the Atkins-type diet in years past and it seemed to work - I lost over 30 lbs, but I was not following it to the T, and started eating whole grains, milk and eventually stopped the low carb eating altogether. Needless to say, my weight crept up and eventually got to the horrid number of 335 (10 lbs more than when I started the Atkins!). Something had to be done.
I did a lot of research online and was very impressed by the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) way of eating. I know that from past experience that the low carb way of eating is the only way I am able to lose weight, but the high fat aspect was something I never really knew about. I was impressed by the stories of individuals who have started on this eating lifestyle and I wanted to be one of them!
I found this website as a link from one of the LCHF forums. I have been tracking my food intake for the past 3 days now and I am amazed at how much info is available to me. I am especially impressed at the way my food logs break down into not only calories, but fat, protein and carbs as well. This is so helpful when on the LCHF diet because the charts and graphs help me see in detail what my intake %-ages are - something that would be impossible for me to do myself. I now know exactly what I need to eat to stay within my ranges.
I weighed myself this morning, and I am at 329. That is a loss of 6 lbs since I started my diet just 4 days ago. Thanks to this site, I now have a place to record all my records and see the results in wonderful graphs and charts. I can't wait to see how I progress in the next few months!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Good luck to you! I went from 325 to 115 pounds on Atkins. Love my diet. I now spend my time motivating others, mostly on FB. You can do it and, as a diabetic, it is the ONLY option for you. I, too, was diabetic and my blood sugar went from 300 to about 85. No meds!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Just wanted to wish you luck as well as you continue along on your weight loss journey. It sounds like you are off to a great start with 6 lbs lost!