Returning and ready to commit

Community
Notices

Returning and ready to commit

Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Returning and ready to commit

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would re-introduce myself to the community since it's been so long since I've been active on here. It's been a number of years since I joined-about 4 I think. I joined with only needing to lose about 30-40 pounds and I lived in Ankara Turkey at the time. My weight gain was due to a sedative life style and over eating of the Turkish food. My last year there I started becoming more active-regular walks, cleaner eating-but the weight wasn't coming off.

Once we got back to the US in 2011 I weighed 180-185 still. I had weighed 150 before going to Turkey. I got a very physically active job right after I arrived. I was spending about 60 hours a week at work, and managed to lose 10 pounds in my first 2 months because I was hardly eating and I was killing myself with work- which required being on my feet ALL through my shift and constant heavy lifting/pushing/pulling. I should have lost more to be honest, but that's all I managed. Once Winter hit and my hours were bumped down to 40 hours a week, and I started eating normal-like 1500 calories a day instead of 1200 or less) I gained the 10 lbs back. My muscles in my calves and feet were damaged from the sudden lifestyle change-I have a hard time walking in the morning for about 15 minutes. I can't say that the weight gain was all muscle either because my measurements barely changed from when I was in Turkey-though I did feel strong in my legs.

I left that job, and my activity level at my new job is balanced now so I'm not killing myself anymore. I'm on my feet walking through my shift but I only work about 25 hours a week. I lift part of that time doing freight work. I can't say my eating habits are that great but they're not as bad as they were in Turkey. I realize that my husband orders fast food frequently and these are extremely fattening, calorie dense foods..so I usually only eat dinner, and an extremely light lunch and breakfast. I do have a sweets addiction I am trying to battle. I went and had a physical last month and my Doctor is baffled at my weight because I'm now tipping 190-195. We think maybe I have other problems, but we haven't figured it out yet. My thyroid is fine, my vitamin D levels are low and my liver enzymes are high. Other than this she said I'm healthy.

So, after doing some serious research and tracking my food intake and problem areas I've realized where I need to straighten myself out.

First, if I'm going to eat out with my husband, I need to choose salads and lean meats and keep the refined carbs down as low as possible. I don't do well with breads, white rices and gluten and sugars screw up my glucose levels. (I've got hypoglycemia).

Second, I'm increasing my protein intake. I realize for the amount of physical labor I do, I don't take in hardly any protein. I actually took in mostly carbs. I think this will help me to build muscle, and this is also the reason it was getting damaged.

Third, I need to do more weight training since I've left my last job. My legs are getting most of the work, but my back, abdominal, and arm muscles have weakened a lot.

Fourth, I need to stop eating from boredom, and overcome that ice cream addiction I developed after I quit smoking 7 years ago.

Fifth, I need to learn to love my body in whatever shape it's in, so I can feel good about myself regardless of what weight I carry.

Finally, I need to break up my weight loss goal into smaller goals. I admit I am really really hard on myself. I now realize that this is causing me to BREAK. I think if I can break it down to 10-15lbs increments then I will feel like I'm accomplishing more and not give up when I don't see the results I expected.

So far, by reading other peoples posts I am motivated. I'm really tired of feeling disgusted with myself and HEAVY all the time. I'm really going to do this. I'm excited about reading everyone else's experiences as well and I hope that I can also help support some of you with motivating you in achieving your own goals.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a freezer with some space for storing frozen vegetables? One of the hardest things about giving up rice and bread is finding something to serve WITH a protein. Recently, I noticed my local supermarket had frozen vegetables for $1 a box (Green Giant brand) on sale. How I wished we had a nice freezer and I could 'stock up' on green vegetables at a good price. Our little refrigerator freezer space won't take much....