Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational Thread, starting June 3: Starting June with renewed vigor! >

7 Day Motivational Thread, starting June 3: Starting June with renewed vigor!

Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread, starting June 3: Starting June with renewed vigor!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

I hate it when the site gets groggy, Robin. When I can't log (for whatever reason), I use the Notes feature on my phone to note of everything I eat. I don't log any nutritional info (too painful to search on the phone), just the food and quantity. It helps me remember so I can log properly when I get back to Fitday.

Carolynn, I just watched the whole "Why Thin People Aren't Fat" documentary on Youtube. Overall, I found depressing. What if the weight I am now IS my setpoint, the weight I can maintain without any specific effort? What if "Nature" is saying this is my normal, even though "society" says I'm not acceptable as I am? Am I destined to a lifelong battle against myself if I want to fit in (literally and figuratively)? On the sillier side, some of the food combos those folks ate were, um, interesting, shall we say. Some of those combos would put me right off eating!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I am feeling kinda blah today. Yesterday at work, I felt great. I even ran up the stairs instead of walking them every time I used them. I am not hungry today, but the "blah" feeling makes me want to give in to temptations. Hope I keep control of myself.

Dmartz: good idea to bring fresh cherries
Robin: sorry the site has been slow for you
Episode: good idea to type in on a phone what you eat to log into here later
Libby: I find the weekend the most difficult, too
Jimmyswifey: hope to see you on here soon

Goals for the week

*keep calories at a min. of 1,200 and max. of 1,400 yes, yes, yes, yes, yes ( I say yes but next week I need to reword this because I did go under the min. amount of calories that I set
*Walk 15 minutes at night yes, yes, yes (jogged a bit too ), yes, yes
*Drink 6 glasses of water at the min. yes, no, yes, yes, yes
*Only eat raw fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts for the week yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Start date: April 29, 2013
Weight loss as of June 2: -21 pounds
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

This weeks goals:

1. Cals between 1200 and 1400 (rolling average) 1311, 1292, 1240, 1219, 1176, 1146
2. One green tea per day. M-Y. T-N (eek forgot), W-3 cups, Th- Y, F-Y, S-Y
3. Increase Omega 3. M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y

Ouch Donna, so hard to find a low cal option when you eat out. I have been staying out of restaurants for the most part but when I have gone I have tried to enjoy the food and eat a SMALL portion (e.g., half a half order). And as far as breakfast I find that there are many healthy options........I usually eat a grain cereal of some kind (I am not watching labels for sugar but I am not eating sugary cereals either). Last week I bought a granola "boost" for Omerga 3- so I had a small serving of no-fat greek yogurt, a tablespoon of granola burst and a few berries. Yum.

Libby- I agree with the others that you need to find your own menu that works for you. I don't know about others kidney stones but my husband was eating too much junk food.

Renewed Soul it sounds like today's funk is some adjustment that your body is going through. It's probably a healthy adjustment given your raw eating. Ride it out you are doing so well with your goals. I'm with you, what happened to Jimmy's wifey?

Epixi, from what I heard set points can be changed. That's the hard part though, struggling til your body adjusts to a new one. I recently went through some plateaus as I was reaching the lowest weight I was ever at and I think that plateaus and set points are probably related. Donna you are at the longest plateau ever , I still think that the key is to increase cardio.

Six pounds to goal weight. I had set June 25 as my goal date but I don't really care about the date so much. I am losing too slowly to reach that now anyway. But I have to start thinking about maintenance. Part of my would love to give up logging but I am also afraid to I have been consistent since last Dec and it helps so much. On the other hand I think I have made some permanent changes to my eating, especially bringing lunch to work every day instead of eating take out.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dmartz
... I usually go for: 1 cup of whole grain cereal of some type, and add some fruit. Bananas, blueberries( my favorite) or something. (I look for cereal with less than 10 grams sugar per cup, though the recommendation is generally less than 5 gms.) ...
Donna, just this week I discovered a new-to-me cereal. Barbara's High Fiber. Not the most creative name, but it delivers what it promises. It has a bit more sugar than you're looking for, but at 8g/cup, it's not outrageous. Some other nutri-facts: 1 cup serving has 180 calories, 140mg sodium, 180 potassium, 8g sugar, 5g protein and, get this, a whopping 14g fiber. Yep, not a typo -- 14!

It contains a mix of fiber-rich ingredients, including Whole Wheat, Rolled Whole Oats, Wheat Bran, Corn Meal, Oat Hull Fiber (more on that in a minute), Corn Bran and Oat Bran as well as other, all-natural ingredients (sugars, salts, etc). You can see and identify many of the ingredients, which I think is a good thing. Best of all, it's actually tasty (you know and I know, not all better-for-you foods can claim such).

Funny tidbit regarding the Oat Hull Fiber: I bought the cereal at my local grocer but was too lazy to go downstairs and get the box in order to quote the nutrition info for this post. Instead, I looked it up on Amazon. Amazon lists the ingredients and this one popped out at me -- Oat HELL Fiber. That gave me a chuckle (hope that didn't get Fitday censored...) .

Anyway, thought I'd mention Barbara's, if you're looking for something new to try!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

Robin, I hadn't noticed that you snuck down a few more pounds! Six to goal -- yay!!!

And look at our buddy, Carolynn! You have MET your most current goal! I'm absolutely thrilled for you!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:29 PM
FitDay Member

wow, it's been an active Saturday here.

Donna, here's a summary of Why Aren't Thin People Fat. I was at 150 forever. Now I can't budge from 145. Is the set point you've been at since last September a weight you were previously at? I was around 145 from about 2000-2010.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...eople-fat.html

Epixi, I alternated from feeling depressed about some of the info in Why Aren't Thin People Fat to thinking, aha, maybe that's why I am the way I am. I'm pretty sure I have the FDO gene where you're genetically predispositioned to keep eating even when you're full. I did that even as a child - only I didn't gain weight back then. I've been trying (mostly successfully) to control that behavior, but I feel a bit better about it knowing that my body is pushing me to do it and I don't just do it because I'm completely pathetic and can't control myself. LOL at Oat Hell Fiber. I think I've been it Oat Hell before!

Set points can be moved up or down. And set points tend to occur when we lose 10-15% of our weight, or at weights we maintained at in the past. There's not much research on it though. From what I've read so far, one might be stuck at a set point for several weeks to 6 months (Donna - it's been 9 mos for you so far!!!) before being able to budge. Apparently our bodies have to become convinced that we're not starving before they'll let us lose more weight. Several sources recommended varying the types of exercise we do.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Goals for the week

*keep calories at a min. of 1,200 and max. of 1,400 yes, yes, yes, yes, yes ( I say yes but next week I need to reword this because I did go under the min. amount of calories that I set, yes
*Walk 15 minutes at night yes, yes, yes (jogged a bit too ), yes, yes, no
*Drink 6 glasses of water at the min. yes, no, yes, yes, yes, no
*Only eat raw fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts for the week yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Start date: April 29, 2013
Weight loss as of June 2: -21 pounds
Old 06-09-2013, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1078, 1069, 871, 1071, 1564, 2352
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 109, 78, 133, 204, 351, 178
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2 (I'm calling it @ two, even if tomatoes are a fruit + cabbage slaw.)
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 53, 42, 48, 86, 100, 89
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 64, 57, 20, 41, 45, 83
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55, 10, 55, 10, 10, 0
'Typical' weekend blowout. Went to a party that featured fried fresh perch, hand cut shoestring fried spud. Then there was the crab dip, and SuperBaker's homemade Red Velvet cake. Did I mention fresh salsa? Oh, and only sweet tea, no unsweet. What can I say, except the cherries were good, but no match for all that.

Last edited by dmartz; 06-09-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Carolyn: Thanks so much for posting the synopsis. More on that in a bit.

Epixi: I've been stuck at several setpoints in the last decade, but have often managed to move them. Sometimes it took serious determination (down), other time no effort whatsoever (up). I think 'Nature' still works on the principle of inertia, hard to get moving, but sometimes, also hard to stop.

I would think that your body can find a setpoint in the range that would be considered healthy for you. For me, it's not about 'society' (as my friends can attest), it's about more managing risk factors. And If I feel great, and look great at the same time, so much the better.
P.S. Thanks for the tip about the cereal. I'll look for it in the grocery.

Carolyn: And I'm with you regarding the FDO gene. As a child I ate like a hog, but ran it off. & The stat that setpoints tend to occur at 10-15% of bodyweight is definitely consistent with my experience. I hit my goal weight around the beginning of last September, so that's why I've been (thankfully!) on this long plateau, but I attribute that to continuing to log the whole time. Otherwise, I would let those weekends run over into the weekdays, and would have been back where I started. But I don't feel starved on my low cal days. Unless I go below 1000 cals, then I'm famished the next day. After a while eating well becomes second nature (no pun intended.)

Oh, and yesterday I had my first sweetened beverage in at least a year. Even though it tasted 'off' to me, I still couldn't bring my self to switch to water. Sweet tea seemed a better alternative than wine.

- Donna

Last edited by dmartz; 06-09-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

This weeks goals:

1. Cals between 1200 and 1400 (rolling average) 1311, 1292, 1240, 1219, 1176, 1146, 1122
2. One green tea per day. M-Y. T-N (eek forgot), W-3 cups, Th- Y, F-Y, S-Y, S-Y
3. Increase Omega 3. M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y, S-Y

Made quinoa taboulah for lunch this coming week. I find that it works out well, for nutrients and getting vegs in. Also made a chicken stew with lots of vegs. Learning to get them in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.