FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Seeking a healthy lifestyle that will last! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9637-seeking-healthy-lifestyle-will-last.html)

jacklin 05-29-2013 06:04 AM

Seeking a healthy lifestyle that will last!

This is a struggle for me. Finally putting in writing how I struggle with my weight, self-esteem, lack of energy...they're all related, right? It's hard to admit I struggle daily with my weight however if you were to look at me it would be no secret.

A little background....I turned 40 in December so its getting harder to lose weight now as some of you may know. But things are different for me now. It's not just about fitting into that bikini or buying the smaller sizes. Don't get me wrong, those things are great, but after this morning I have come to realize I have to make some changes so I can become a healthy, confident mom to my daughter. I have been married to a wonderful man for 12 years and since my wedding day my weight has steadily crept up. I was in the 130's on our wedding day. By the time I had my biggest and best suprise, being pregnant at the age of 37, my weight was up to 190. After a healthy pregnancy I was able to quickly lose 30 of the 40 pounds I had gained, confident that I would lose that last 10 and then more. I then suffered 2 miscarriages within 6 months which as you can imagine was heartbreaking. It is still something that I really don't talk about as it was a changing moment in my life....I gave up on myself. I have devoted my time to my family and put on a smiling face for friends and family but stopped taking care of myself. I have no doubt I was depressed during those dark months although I never sought medical attention for it. Since then my weight has crept up to 243 at its highest. That is higher than when I gave actually gave birth! For the record, I know this is a lot of personal information but I feel that I finally need to be honest about my struggles if I am to move forward. I am ashamed of the way I have let myself go and am horrified of the thought that my daughter would have to worry about my health or be embarrassed by my size.

Everything came to a hault today as I was forced to look at what I have done to myself. I went to the doctor this morning because I caught some cold that my husband and daughter have been passing back and forth. They took my blood pressure 4 times....the first was 165/100, the second....185/150, the third and fourth were back "down" to 168/98. That's when I finally realized this can no longer be a fantasy to lose weight. I have to take care of myself so I can be a healthy mother to my daughter and a better wife to my husband. Most importantly, I need to learn to start liking....even loving myself again. On a side note, my husband was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so this is obviously a family issue and I don't want my daughter to ever have to struggle with her weight or body image as I have.

I hope that by posting my story, I can hold myself accountable to my future goals. I'm not looking for a quick fix nor do I feel the need to lose all my weight in a short amount of time. I am looking for a lifestyle change full of activity and healthy eating....not just a diet that I will do until I hit my goal weight then go back to way things were (a mistake I've made in the past). I would like to reach my goal weight of 125 pounds and I'm going to give myself a goal of 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lost per week. I've done the thing where I have lost over 10 pounds in the first couple of weeks only to gain 12 back the next month. Been there, done that. Please, in no way am I knocking any of the other people that have had great success in a short amount of time. I am so happy for them! I have just learned that for myself....when I lose weight quickly, I seem to put it back on at an even quicker pace. This is my journey and I have to start accepting some facts that I have learned about myself along the way.

The doctor says that the high blood pressure may be due to the illness (I don't have a history of high blood pressure despite my weight issues). She gave me some antibiotics and said I needed to take care of this first before we looked at my weight or blood pressure.....interestingly enough she didn't set up a follow up appointment. So, I'm taking things into my own hands. I will take the 10 days of the medicine and am scheduling a physical for the following week. For the first time ever, I have been counting my sodium intake for the day. That has been an eye opener.

Once again, I'm sharing my story so I can hold myself accountable and maybe someday inspire others with my success along the way. As of today, I was at 235.8....wish me luck

episode2011 05-29-2013 11:03 AM

Hello there, Jacklin! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I particularly love the line "This is my journey and I have to start accepting some facts that I've learned about myself along the way." So true!

There's a thread a few of us post on fairly regularly and I think it may be what you're looking for. Basically, people post up some goals for the week, whatever is important to THEM, then post during the week to make updates on their progress. There is no competition and no pressure. Just support, motivation, advice, tips and camaraderie! A new thread starts every Monday; here is the one for this week --->7 Day Motivational Thread, starting May 27: New Week, New Start". Take a peek, and, if it looks like something that might interest you, jump on in. You don't even have to wait til Monday! Hope to see you there!

nottango 05-29-2013 12:02 PM

Welcome Jacklin!
Fitday has been a really positive experience for me. I have been using it for almost 3 years - very religiously at first, and now sporadically. I do not track every calorie anymore, but do track my weight and check in with the forums. I also use the journal section, and have found it very useful - it really helps with figuring out what triggers mindless eating, and develop strategies for dealing with tough issues.
My journey has been tough, but so worth it! I do not follow a specific "diet" - don't believe in them - just eating mostly healthy foods and limiting (not avoiding) junk. Since reaching my goal in Spring 2011, I have been able to keep my weight within 10 pounds or so, and have no health issues at age 47.
Good luck and keep posting! Your story will inspire more people than you know.

jacklin 05-30-2013 01:38 AM

Thanks so much for the support! Episode, I do plan to keep posting. In the past, I have made so many promises to myself that I will do it THIS time, only to make an excuse for cheating on the diet and then the all or nothing personality takes over and its back to the old way. Then, it is followed by a fresh round of guilt and self loathing that leads to another round of overeating because in some sick way, in that moment, I believe that the food I'm stuffing in my face is the only thing that will make me feel better. It really has been a vicious cycle. My thinking is that if I can go public with my goals, I will hold myself more accountable.

Nottango, I will check out the other thread. I think I was looking at some of the posts yesterday as I was surfing through the site. It does look like a nice, supportive fit for me.

Yesterday was full of enlightenment. I started looking at the sodium in all of the foods I was eating and sure enough, I am on sodium overload. Even the frozen green beans that I cook (in chicken broth followed by a boullion cube) is loaded in sodium after I'm through with them. I did realize that I was adding sodium in a healthy item...I just didn't realize how much. I'm going to have to rethink the way I prepare my "healthy" foods...not just look at calories like I have in the past. I have been rereading "20 Years Younger" by Bob Green and a book on reversing diabetes for my husband's health issues since I am the cook in the family. They both encourage you to look at your eating style in the beginning by not focusing on what you can't have, but focus on what needs to be added to your diet. Also, start small to ensure you have some success. So, I have started adding some fruits and vegetables to our diet. We made some baggies this morning full of fruit. I have strawberries, apple slices, blackberries, and blueberries in the bags. Apparently the berries don't have as much sugar so its good for my husband's diabetes and low in sodium for me, plus they are full of vitamins and antioxidents. I'm still trying to get over my chest cold but we did walk last night with our daughter and pups. It was a leisurely stroll (about 3/4 of a mile) but at least we were active rather than plopped in front of the TV. As we regain control of our health, I really want to be a positive role model for our daughter. We've already decided to buy bikes when she is old enough to ride so we can all ride together!

On a good note, I was at 234.6 this morning so I'm down 1.2 pounds. It's a beginning!

Fitnessjunkie1 06-07-2013 01:47 PM

If you are ever in the market for an at home fitness workout or just motivation follow me on facebook facebook.com/janellebuihealthfitnessfitness. And please don't be shy ask me whatever you need to.

jacklin 07-30-2013 02:33 AM

It's been a while since I've posted but 3 doctors later I'm finally seeing the light. I've always been passive with doctors but I've found I've had to really take charge in my own health. After going to the 2nd female doctor, noting my blood pressure was extremely high and she sent me home telling me to continue to monitor it, I changed doctors again to my husband's doctor. My husband liked him because he's a real tell it like it is kind of guy and boy is he. I went in and he immediately put me on blood pressure medication that has slowly brought it down over the summer. Secondly, we had a hard talk about my weight. He told me I was at a cross roads. I could continue this path and probably be on meds for diabetes by next year and within 10 years possible heart disease.....or I could start a healthy lifestyle and at this point everything is completely reversable. Come to find out, my hormone levels are completely off so we are working to get that back in order. Of course that has alot to do with my weight and will self regulate as I continue to lose. I have had my ups and downs the past couple of months but I'm happy to say that I'm now at 225.8 pounds. I couldn't tell you the last time I lost 10 pounds over a summer! We have gone on a couple of vacations and I have continued to eat the foods I love but I have really focused on portion control. I've added in fruits as my afternoon snack. My doctor has recommended that I eat the majority of my food before 3 pm. Dinner should just be a meat and veggie. Sounds simple but it is working. My blood pressure was so high, it wasn't recommended that I exercise at a high level so I've continued to go for light walks for 30 minute segments. I go back in at the end of August and I'm hoping I will be able to step that up a little bit but for now I'm enjoying my success. I'm truly embracing this journey as a marathon, not a quick 100 yard dash.

nottango 07-30-2013 11:01 PM

Good Job!

Glad to see you've kept your commitment. Sadly, many people post once or twice and then disappear. Sounds like you have the right attitude for success - focus on long-term healthy habits and not depriving yourself of favorite foods. :)
Hormones can be real b*tches!

jacklin 08-02-2013 12:50 AM

Thanks nottango! I have to say that my attitude is different this time around. I have a sense of calmness about me knowing what I need to do. Before, I was always stressed thinking I needed to lose a certain amount in # months before we hit the beach...or before this party when I see this person I haven't seen in a while, etc. After meeting with the dr and hearing the hard truth, I know I have to change for myself and for my family. My husband has already started to see a change and I've had 3 different people comment on my complexion. One person said they couldn't figure out what was different but I looked great. I will say the blood pressure medication has alot to do with that. I find my face isnt as flushed and I do feel better. I hadn't posted in a while because I was really just trying to get the right doctor and figure out a plan. I will continue to post my progress in order to keep myself accountable and maybe I can help someone out there who is in my shoes. This isn't an easy journey. But I want to live a long, healthy, active life with my husband and daughter. I think it is worth it!!!:) As of today, I am at 225, so another.8 of a pound down. Slowly, slowly creeping down but it is progress and I'll take it!

sailgal1 08-10-2013 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jacklin (Post 99298)
Thanks so much for the support! Episode, I do plan to keep posting. In the past, I have made so many promises to myself that I will do it THIS time, only to make an excuse for cheating on the diet and then the all or nothing personality takes over and its back to the old way. Then, it is followed by a fresh round of guilt and self loathing that leads to another round of overeating because in some sick way, in that moment, I believe that the food I'm stuffing in my face is the only thing that will make me feel better. It really has been a vicious cycle. My thinking is that if I can go public with my goals, I will hold myself more accountable.

Nottango, I will check out the other thread. I think I was looking at some of the posts yesterday as I was surfing through the site. It does look like a nice, supportive fit for me.

Yesterday was full of enlightenment. I started looking at the sodium in all of the foods I was eating and sure enough, I am on sodium overload. Even the frozen green beans that I cook (in chicken broth followed by a boullion cube) is loaded in sodium after I'm through with them. I did realize that I was adding sodium in a healthy item...I just didn't realize how much. I'm going to have to rethink the way I prepare my "healthy" foods...not just look at calories like I have in the past. I have been rereading "20 Years Younger" by Bob Green and a book on reversing diabetes for my husband's health issues since I am the cook in the family. They both encourage you to look at your eating style in the beginning by not focusing on what you can't have, but focus on what needs to be added to your diet. Also, start small to ensure you have some success. So, I have started adding some fruits and vegetables to our diet. We made some baggies this morning full of fruit. I have strawberries, apple slices, blackberries, and blueberries in the bags. Apparently the berries don't have as much sugar so its good for my husband's diabetes and low in sodium for me, plus they are full of vitamins and antioxidents. I'm still trying to get over my chest cold but we did walk last night with our daughter and pups. It was a leisurely stroll (about 3/4 of a mile) but at least we were active rather than plopped in front of the TV. As we regain control of our health, I really want to be a positive role model for our daughter. We've already decided to buy bikes when she is old enough to ride so we can all ride together!

On a good note, I was at 234.6 this morning so I'm down 1.2 pounds. It's a beginning!

Jacklin, so wonderful to hear you are taking control of your weight issues, something I have dealt with for a lifetime. I would like to add something you may like to consider since your hubs was diagnosed with type 2, if he reduces the carbs in his diet (including fruits)he will see his numbers get into range, lose weight and be healthier. I am type 2 and allow up to 30 grams of carbs per day, most days less than 20, carbs turn into glucose which increases blood sugar. I'm sure you are familiar with Atkins, Southbeach, and those diets that reduce carbs, but since it is so imperative for diabetics, you may want to visit the bloodsugar101 website for help for your husband. Everyone eating the same way in the household will be less stressful, and a journey to a healthy lifestyle.

Congratulations on your continued weight loss!

jacklin 08-20-2013 05:43 AM

Thanks sailgal! I'll check that site out for my husband. Since I am the primary cook in the house it really does come down to me with what my family eats. My husband has already lost over 10 pounds just by changing up what we have been eating for dinner. His blood sugar levels have dropped significantly as well so hopefully he is on his way to reducing his medication. He doesn't have near the amount of weight that I have to lose but the diabetes thing has always scared me so I'm proud of him for doing this with me. I think he wants to lose about 15 more pounds and he'll be at his goal weight.

As for me, I'm down to 216 as of this morning. The weight is steadily coming off. I am going back to the doctor in a couple of days so I'm hoping that I'll be able to up my exercise a bit. I'm still just doing the leisurely walking thing and started lifting some light weights. I bought a yoga "for beginners" dvd....for beginners, yeah right. I could barely get through the thing. I had to laugh at myself. I just keep thinking I have to look at the progress I continue to make...not how far I have to go, that is just way to overwhelming at this point!

I continue to struggle with my blood pressure. I have a stressful job and deal with some difficult people at work but then again who doesn't?? I need to figure out a way to deal with the stress in a healthy way. I've written down some positive quotes I try to focus on instead of silently brewing over some nasty comment or unprofessional gossip that comes my way, but I really think exercise will eventually be my savior on this one. If I can just get the okay from the dr. to step it up a notch, I'm hoping that'll help with the tension I sometimes feel. I also know as the weight continues to come off, it will eventually come back down.

Another positive, I was able to wear a shirt that I couldn't squeeze into for over 2 years! I am starting to see and feel the results!! Pound by pound I'm getting closer and feeling better:)

looser20131 08-22-2013 02:12 AM

hello, my name is Kathy & also struggling with these same Issues. I'm 250 Lbs & NOT very motivated when it come to exersize. I just turned 50 & NEVER liked much of myself. I put on a pretty good front but Truthfully I'm just not happy with myself & need to change it. I would like to keep in touch with you as I start my new journey. what do you say?

jacklin 08-26-2013 08:11 AM

Hi Kathy! Absolutely we can keep in touch on this journey! I'm sorry it's taken a couple of days to respond. I work full time, have a family, and am in school working towards an advanced degree so I don't check the site everyday but certainly need to get in the habit of doing so. The more the merrier!

"I just turned 50 & NEVER liked much of myself"
You know what is really messed up about me and what I am realizing that may not be that out of the norm?? I have a really hard time coming up with things that I LIKE about myself. I have a laundry list of everything I can tell you that is wrong about me...from my looks, procrastinating, clumsiness, etc. etc. But I'm starting to realize that in this journey, if I don't start liking myself, I won't ever want to start "fixing" it, you know? We have to start accepting ourselves for where we are. Our friends and family do...so we cant be that bad, can we? I wore a new shirt to work on Friday (actually I had bought it a couple of years ago but it was the first time I had been able to fit into it in years). I thought about squeezing into some spanx and then thought about how miserable I'd be and about how nice it is to be able to breath during the day without them....so I went without. I didn't look perfect...I had bulges, but this is where I am now. I'm now 26 pounds smaller than where I was a few months ago and I need to be happy about that. I still have a way to go, but I'll focus on the positives for now.

I'll be happy to support you and anyone else as we continue on with our journey!

jacklin 08-27-2013 03:25 AM

I forgot to post my latest results from my doctor. I had a follow up appointment last week and had a great visit. He was very pleased with my results saying I was doing better than he thought I would do....not sure how to take that but I'll go with it. My blood pressure was 124/72...or 122/74..either way a BIG drop from 185/150 a couple of months ago. I've had some dizzy spells which he thought was due to the BP meds so he has already cut that dosage by half!! For some reason I hate the thought of taking those meds so I'm so happy to reduce that dosage and he thinks I can eventually go off of them. He also finally cleared me for some exercise. I am to get in 3 hours of cardio per week and some light weights. I've been getting up at 4:45 in the morning to get on the treadmill and then follow up with light weights. Right now, I'm pretty tired while at work but I know if I can stick with it I'll continue to lose and get some energy. I cant exercise in the afternoon because I have a 2 year old and after being at work all day I feel the need to devote all my energy to her. by the time she goes to bed, honestly, I'm too tired to get in a workout at that point so the morning is it. I do feel better and the clothes are fitting better. I'd like to get down to 200 by October and I think I can do that, especially now that I'm excercising. We shall see....I have noticed I am more focused and getting more things done at work and at home. I was really in a funk and not feeling well enough to do anything at all. It's amazing how a much difference a couple of months can make!

jacklin 10-02-2013 03:45 AM

checking in with my progress

Well, I don't have many people posting but I see I'm over 700 views so I guess that means someone is interested in my journey so I'll keep on posting my progress for others to see :) It does keep me honest! Geez, I just looked and it's been over a month since I last posted so a lot has happened. I am officially down to 203 as of today. I was hoping to get to 200 by Oct. 1 but I'm not complaining. It was a lofty goal to start with and I'm happy with where I'm at. I keep reminding myself that this time is for life...it'll take a while to get it off so no hurry. My blood pressure is basically down to normal and I should be off the medicine by my next doctors visit. Praise god for that. I hate taking that stuff. Everytime I bend over or bend my knees to get something and then stand back up I feel like I'll black out. Come to find out the meds actually slow your blood flow to the muscles, causing the dizziness. Who knew?? At least that's what my doctor says. Hopefully that will stop once I get off of that medication. My doctor says I'm doing well with the weight loss and seems pleased. I just really started exercising about 2 weeks ago. I was supposed to start about 5 weeks ago and then got some "bacterial infection" that lasted about 3 weeks where I couldn't stop coughing, wheezing....all that fun stuff. Now I'm alternating between cardio and weights just to get started. Right now it exhausts me, I'm not even going to lie about it, but soon (hopefully) I'll start to feel the benefits of it and maybe even feel energized.

On a good/great note, I can actually wear the clothes in my closet again!!! I still have some smaller sizes I have stored away, but I'm back down to the sizes that I wore pre-pregnancy which is nice. Basically, I look like I have a new wardrobe so thats an added bonus. I still have a long way to go but I'm still going strong and starting to get compliments so that's always nice. Friends that are also struggling with their weight want to know what I'm doing so I've told them my whole story, right down to the miscarriages. It's funny, that is something that I couldn't even talk about before but now its somewhat cathartic. It's like I have to dump this toxic energy that used to weigh me down so I can continue to move forward. It's nice to see that I can motivate people. Me, ordinary me, can help motivate someone else. It's a good feeling.

As I'm shrinking, I've gotten rid of my clothes that are too big. I didn't even like the clothes I was wearing. I basically bought them out of necessity rather than style. For example, I bought this shirt because it would cover up my....everything...that was my necessity versus actually liking it. I've given the clothes to goodwill and have been able to pull out my smaller sizes. I have sizes going down to 4s and 6s. Just could't let them go, but this is the first time that I believe that I can actually get there again. I'm really shooting for next June but we'll see. I'm taking it month by month and day by day. Since I've been able to start exercising I'm really hoping to see some changes. Hopefully next time I'll be in the 190's!!!!! That is a big deal for me!:D

astralmonkey 10-02-2013 09:10 AM

Your story is inspiring, and you are right lots of people are viewing but may not be posting. I was going to read and move on but thought I would stop and post a note to you to say GREAT JOB! You are awesome :)

I read all of your posts and can tell, simply by how you wrote your words that you have a sense of calm and acceptance - which will take you far! Keep on striving, you can do it! (talking to myself too! lol)

LMB2011 10-04-2013 01:15 PM

Hi Jacklin! Thank you for sharing your story. I think I will ask my doctor about checking my hormone levels when I go back in Jan. As I seem to be stuck at 292. But my dietitian told me to keep up all the hard work I've been doing with journaling what I eat, as I do have goals set for minimum and maximum for, calories, fat, carbs, fiber, sodium, cholesterol, and protein. When I first saw my dietitian I was around 312 pounds, and with walking every day for 15 min. along with journaling for a healthy lifestyle class, I did get down to 287. I'm guessing 5 lbs really isn't looked at as a big deal. When they take my blood pressure I'm also high. 144/97 with a pulse of 109. For must people that would be something to worry about. But when I take using the stores monitories I do get readings of 128/88. My doc also ran an EKG test to make sure my pulse was just from anxiety. I also was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic. This was catch with the A1C test as my fasting reading where always normal. My A1C came back as being 6.2 and as of this month I'm 5.5 :) Now my goal is to keep it there. In the past it would creep up to 5.7. Since the weather in my area is getting to cool be pleasant for walking, I'm doing Lessi Simons (not sure if I spelled her name right) 2 mile walk. It's about 35 minutes and it does get you sweeting.

jacklin 10-04-2013 01:21 PM

Thanks astralmonkey for the kind words. I have to admit its taken me a while to grasp this self acceptance piece and sense of calmness of where I am but quite honestly I think a scary dr visit had to have shocked me into that reality. Whatever the reason, I am grateful for the new path it has sent me on.

jacklin 10-04-2013 01:56 PM

Hi LMB! You must have been posting as I was just posting my previous reply. It sounds like we have some similar histories. My dr told me I was about one year away from being on medication for possible type 2 diabetes and my husband was already there although I'm happy to report that he is now off all medication after he joined me on this journey of healthy eating. All of his levels are normal so it is reversible IF you catch it early enough. When I went in, all of my hormone levels were high. The way he explained it was when we gain weight for whatever reason the body will create more estrogen. As women gain weight, we of course have more body fat... The more body fat you have, the more estrogen your body will hold onto making it even more difficult to lose body fat so it becomes this vicious cycle. In my case, my estrogen was so high, my testosterone levels had also started to climb (dr said) in my body's attempt to self regulate at get back to normal. So...if you can imagine I was tired, moody, thought I was depressed, possibly losing my mind, and it came down to my hormones. He actually didn't put me on any meds for that and said once I started losing the weight it would take care of itself and he was right. I wasn't able to lose any weight but one thing that really helped but wasn't easy...not even gonna lie... He wants me to eat 80% of my calories before 3:00. So I try to eat 5 times a day...at 7,10,12,3, and dinner at 6 or 7. No carbs at dinner, just a meat and veggie but I eat carbs during the day. It's worked for me, but I've had to get used to being hungry sometimes at night...not all the time but that was usually when I fell off the wagon if you know what I mean when I dieted before. I had to go through 3 doctors until I could find someone who would listen to me so good luck talking to your doctor. That has been life changing for me! Good luck!

jacklin 10-28-2013 04:19 AM

latest progress report

I'm still making steady progress here and finally back into the 100's!!! I weighed in at 194.6 this morning. As far as sizes go, I think I was about a 22 and now I'm down to an 18 and a 16 in some brands. Shirts have gone from 2X/3X to XL. I was able to get into my old size 14 jeans but I actually like to be able to breath when I'm walking around during the day so I'll need to give it a few more weeks before I actually wear those babies for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I can't remember if I noted in my last post but I've hurt my foot so that has hurt some of my progress in cardio because I do like to walk on my treadmill in the mornings but what I've done is slowed the pace but added light weights every five minutes. So every five minutes I'm doing light weights to work on the arms to try to increase the heartrate a bit. I'm having to walk S---L---O----W so I don't re-injure the foot...probably shouldn't be walking at all but this seems to be working in the meantime. My arms need all the help they can get in the toning department so I'll probably stick with this even after the foot heals. I'm actually starting to feel stronger even with the use of these smaller weights.

It's funny, someone asked my if I had hit my halfway mark yet....I haven't even thought about that. I had to explain to them that this is a one day at a time kind of thing. Every day is a success for me that I can eat healthy and get some excercise in. I only stress myself out if I start thinking about how far I have to go. I still have a long way to go...I know that. BUT..I'm making progress and that's all that matters at this point.

Kathy13118 10-28-2013 05:47 AM

Good luck on your journey, Jacklin! I think the ways we regain what we lost are as important as the ways we lost pounds. Putting weight back on after you've lost it is so frustrating, but a common experience. Not to mention putting on weight after emotional milestones.

I was reading a book recently (wish I could find the title) in which the author pointed out that the desire to eat something for comfort, for snacking, or just to eat more calories, occurs some time before you actually make the attempt to even decide what to eat. After your boss gave you an impossible assignment, for example, and you aren't even thinking of food... suddenly, the word 'lunch' pops into your mind. Or 'grocery shopping,' or 'food cart.' He said that that was the time to start thinking about better ways to deal with the stress or boredom that prompted that thought. Right then, with some conscious follow-through. Of course, hunger prompts you to think about food, too.

This really hit home with me because I am a 'stress eater.' Not everyone is, but I sure am.

Merimcc 11-02-2013 02:35 PM

Great job!!

Hi Jacklin, my name is Mary and I , too, have started on a lifetime journey. I have a thread under Motivation similar to yours, but you have been way more honest than I have been. I have had lots of trying times as well, but did not go into anywhere close the detail that you did. And, as you can see by your views, you are inspiring many others, including me. I am so jealous that you are down into the 100's again! I am 5'2" and weigh 235 pounds. My highest weight was about 5 years ago at 268. I have been off and on with my weight effort over the years. I am 62, so it is pretty hard to get it off. It is a good thing you are doing this now, before you get any older! Another difference is that I have never been at a normal weight as an adult. In high school, I was about 20 pounds overweight (and I thought I was really FAT!). In college, I hit 150 and was really disappointed in myself. So, over the years, I would gain and lose, gain and lose, etc. I became a single mom and continued my gain and lose habit. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago and have been taking metformin since then. I once got down to 200, but could not get another pound below that before I started gaining it back! (Again, major disappointment with myself!) Anyway, my son is now in his 30's and he is the reason I am on this discussion board. He has been "nagging" me for years about my weight and overall lack of good healthy habits. But he actually recently got through to me because he was kind of like your doctor that told you like it really was, only my son didn't use medical terms. It was more about the family and what would happen if I died because I did not take care of myself. I have a granddaughter too, that I want to see grow up and get married and all of that. So I am working with him (I call him my coach), to stay accountable. It is hard because I am a very busy person, even though I am retired, and I don't like to spend all this time on the computer. But if it must be to stay motivated, then I am going to have to post on here more often. You have truly inspired me!
I would like to tell you about another website called Flylady.com. Fly means "finally loving yourself." Her name is Marla Cilley and she and her team help people get organized in every area of their lives, including weight loss. She helps people learn to love themselves so they will keep themselves healthy. There is way more to her than that, but you can learn more on her website.
I wish you the best and I pray that you will stay on your path of getting and keeping yourself and your family healthy! God bless you!:)

jacklin 11-04-2013 02:18 AM

Thank you Mary! I actually teared up a little reading your response. I sometimes feel like I'm talking to myself when I'm posting but I've promised myself that I would continue to post the good or bad. One of my issues is that I haven't ever followed up on anything weight related so I'm trying to keep myself accountable. It makes me happy to hear that I can be inspiring or helpful to anyone. Lord knows I'm not perfect so that means alot.

I can relate to looking back at previous weights when I thought I was fat....there was a time when I cringed at the thought of even being in a double digit size...I didn't even know a size 20 and up existed! Now I dream of getting down to a size 12 or 14! My daughter has been a huge inspiration to me. She is only 3 and I joke around that I hope to lose the weight before she realizes that mommy has a weight problem. I joke but it really is a fear so I know that must be hard to hear the concern from your son but isn't it great to have that support and know that he cares? My biggest fear is that my daughter will grow up having the same eating issues that I have and I don't want to see her struggle or be made fun of or taunted by other children. Growing up is hard enough without dealing with a weight issue on top of it!

I will definitely check out the other website you mentioned. It sounds really great! Like you, I'm pretty busy but I'm always looking for new ways to stay motivated. The pounds are coming off but much slower than in the beginning so I have to keep reading other people's success stories and motivating things to keep me going. Thanks so much for sharing! It really means alot!

On a good note, I was down another pound this morning to 193.4 so it's coming off! I have my next doctors appointment next week so wouldn't it be great to report a 180's number??? Wow, that would be amazing. We'll see. My foot is finally improving so I'm going to actually increase my speed a little tomorrow to see how that goes.

Merimcc 11-11-2013 11:35 AM

Progress is great!

No, thank you, Jacklyn, for your inspiration! Congratulations on the progress you have made. Well, I have lost a couple more pounds, but how is beyond me. I did not walk last week at all! I can't believe it, but I really did forget. I have an alarm that goes off every night at 10:30 to remind me to walk (in my back yard, around my pool :-)). It would go off and I would think, I will walk after I finish this (whatever I was doing). But then I would completely forget about it. So now I have to get back on track and get those 15-19 minute walks in. We can do anything for 15 minutes, right?

Thanks again for hanging in there with me!

Starting weight 240 10-1-13
First goal 235 10/27/13 :)
Second goal 230 11/24/13

lisa968 11-11-2013 09:40 PM

Doing it right!

Jacklin, reading your story made me tear up a little bit. You're sooo encouraging and I love how you are losing weight for all the right reasons and making healthy lifestyle choices! My mother is dying a slow death due to her own inactivity and I see people all the time sentence themselves to a lifetime of diabetes, hypertension, and muscle wasting. You can't eat a diet full of empty calories, cholesterol, sodium, and fat; then sit on the couch all day and expect to have any energy to do anything!

Last year a friend talked me into trying the hcg diet. I lost 20 pounds pretty quick - then put on 25.

This time, I'm doing it for real, too. No gimmicks. Low fat diet (having gall bladder issues, so I either do low fat or I do surgery), lots of water, limiting the "bad stuff", increasing the healthy foods, and MOVING. Routine has been an issue for me as my schedule is all sorts of wacky.

Anyway, I am SO PROUD of your accomplishments! So proud of your healthy outlook! So proud that you're doing this right! Keep on truckin', sister!

lisa

jacklin 11-13-2013 04:42 AM

Today has been a wake up call! Once again....

Thanks Lisa and Mary for your positive posts!:D You are right Mary! You can do anything for 15 minutes! I keep telling myself, just one day at a time....next thing you know, we'll be there! FYI, I checked out that website you mentioned and I'm hooked! I love it! Anything about organization and I'm all about it! I started really reading it the other day and I love the monthly plans. I'm really going to start doing those so I can stay better organized with my house. It's really an inspiring, feel good site. Thanks for recommending it!

Lisa, I can so relate to you about what you mentioned about watching your mom dying a slow death... My father has always been overweight and what is sad is that I can remember resenting him when I was little because I wanted him to play with me but he was too tired. (FYI....in no way am I saying you are like this!! This was just my way of dealing with it, right or wrong) When I was older and knew he had been diagnosed with diabetes and saw him eating powdered doughnuts, I would become angry because I knew that he knew better and he was essentially killing himself!! I promised myself I would never become that person.....but I did. It's sad how our environment really can influence us BUT we DO have the power to change that which is what I'm desperately working on now. As I've gotten older, I'm accepting of his lifestyle now but somehow, the anger became more centered at myself at one point...like a self hatred. I'm finding through this process, that I'm slowing finding my way back to some self acceptance as I try to find ways to like/love myself again. Blaming myself or my dad for where I was didn't really get me anywhere....only madder and fatter.

On a serious note, for those of you that are reading my posts....If I can give you one bit of motivation I hope to do it today, right now. I've had 2 more wake up calls within the last 24 hours. My first wake up call was back in June/July when I started this journey and realized that I was really on the verge of putting myself at risk. It wasn't about being pretty or skinny anymore.....it was about being ALIVE for my daughter and husband. I took the news from my doctor to heart and have worked daily to make changes since then. Not everyday has been perfect but I have made slow improvements. I can fit in clothes now that I couldn't before, I can walk up a flight of stairs without being winded...I can play with my daughter without being exhausted...the list goes on. This is what is important to me...This is what is living to me.

Yesterday, I was speaking to a coworker. I was asking her about a phone message that she left for me last Friday...something about needing information about a doctor. She explained, one of the ladies that we work with, that I don't see on a daily basis, I had been encouraging to see my doctor. She too, has high blood pressure. She's a little older than me, and her blood pressure has been higher than mine at times. I told her everything that I had read about the dangers of it and how my doctor had helped me. She told me she was going to make an appointment. I saw her a few weeks later, and she still hadn't made the appointment. I found out last week that she had suffered a stroke. It was described as a mini-stroke and they believe she'll be okay but she was calling to get my doctors name once again. She spent a few days in the hospital so I'm not sure if she'll see him or not.

Today, another friend of mine, a couple of years older suffered a heart attack. As of now, he is okay but still waiting on test results.

THIS is our wake up call. THIS is why we get up early and get on the treadmill, swim in the pool, run laps, etc. THIS is why we choose the healthy food option versus the high fat/high cholesterol that sure tastes good but you'll pay for it later. THIS is why we are here reading these posts.

WE CAN DO THIS. ONE DAY AT A TIME. Life is too short. We need to cherish it and take care of our bodies for the long haul. There is no rewind button in life. Take care.

Kathy13118 11-13-2013 09:00 AM

'THIS is our wake up call. THIS is why we get up early'

So true!

jacklin 11-15-2013 04:22 AM

It's a great day! I got up and jumped on the scale and it read 189.8. I have officially lost all of the baby weight and the weight gained from both miscarriages. I remember weighing 190 with my first pregnancy and that was 4 years ago so its been a while. I went back to my doctor and he would like to use my weight chart as an example for others struggling with their weight of how it can be done! So...I'm feeling pretty successful today! :D Now....onto the 70's.....my next goal. Again, I still have a long ways to go, I'm a shorty here with a small frame, but I KNOW I can make it this time.

Something happened to me this month. I had been talking/complaining to my husband about the exercise. I used to love to exercise (sick, right?) but seriously, I loved being active and loved the feeling of laying down at the end of the day and just feeling the exhaustion in my body knowing that I had worked my body hard that day. I would sleep like a log and would wake up refreshed. As I've started exercising again, for the longest time, I felt truly tired after the work outs....completely wiped out. I kept asking my husband, when is this exercise going to make me start feeling better again?? Then, about 3 weeks ago, it happened. I've been getting up around 4:45 to 5 to get my 30 minutes of walking in before work and feeling sluggish. Then all of a sudden, I'd find myself waking up before the alarm at 4:30, and I started thinking, I think I can walk a little faster today....and I did. Then I thought, I think I can walk a little longer today....and I did!! So for the last couple of weeks, I've been getting up a little earlier and getting in a full hour of walking coupled with light weights. Then I do some stomach crunches and then get ready for work. I've been doing this M-F without fail and I can say I'm FINALLY starting to feel like the old me...the active, athletic me!! I used to come home from work and immediately plop down on the couch until I had to fix dinner only to plop down again until bed. I can honestly say, I don't do that anymore. My house is cleaner...I'm getting things done. I all of a sudden have energy again. I don't know when exactly it happened. It kind of snuck up on me while I was focused on getting there..but it did. From the doctor's readings, I have gained 1.1% of muscle as I lost 9 pounds and 3% body fat since my last visit so it is exciting to see this is working. I FEEL that it is working. Another shocker is that I've lost 7 inches from my waist. I hadn't been keeping track of that at all other than by clothing.

I've got the holidays coming up and I'm not really nervous...I'm cooking for about 10 people but I'm moving forward with all of this positive energy and momentum. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and cooking for everyone. I'll have small portions and that will be that. There is no way that I'm going to let one day get me off track at this point. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am running for it!

Merimcc 11-25-2013 11:29 AM

You are a true inspiration!

Thanks so much, Jacklyn, for telling your story and for your encouragement! I am not doing so well, I have not even lost 10 pounds yet. I am still at 7 pounds since Sept. 1. I guess I should not beat myself up though, it is probably counter-productive. I know I need to drink more water - I have been barely drinking any. I usually set my (Flylady) timer for 15 minutes and take a drink every time it goes off. I forget to do that and it is 4 or 5 oclock before I remember to drink some water! When I drink enough water, the pounds come off! I am so glad you liked the Flylady website! I don't read all the emails, but I would if I had time. Even she says to not read them all unless we need the motivation. I read all the daily missions of course, because they help me keep my house picked up. They help motivate me to eat more healthy foods as well. So I will keep it up and I will be successful, just like you are! I am way too comfortable with my fat body since I have had it so many years. I need to love it, but strive to improve it! That is how I need to see this effort - love me, but improve me! I am just typing out loud here.... :D OK, better go get a drink of water! Have a lovely and blessed Thanksgiving everybody! Remember, taste all you want, but keep it in moderation!

jacklin 12-05-2013 03:13 AM

Hey Mary, don't beat yourself up about the slow weight loss. A pound lost is a pound lost...period! I started out losing about 10 pounds over a couple of months. I couldn't really do anything because my blood pressure was so high so I couldn't exercise. Now that I look back, it was actually a good thing. I'm usually an all or nothing type of person going for all the exercise and all the diet strategies at once. Then if I messed up once, I would give up. I think by just focusing on one thing (my diet) first, I was able to get that under control and then move onto the next. For some reason it seemed more manageable that way. Besides, I did get a chance to read your other posts and you are dealing with some other health issues, so just remember to take care of YOU....everything else will fall into place. The good thing is, exercise will help all of your ailments (so the doctors say) so just take it one day at a time and you WILL succeed!

Thanksgiving went great! I decided that I didn't get fat from just one day out of the year....it was the other 364 days that messed me up so I cooked like I normally would for the family but I didn't taste test like I normally did. Instead, I let the familily take turns tasting...determining if something needed more salt, sage, cheese, whatever. There were a total of 10 people there so plenty of taste testers to go around and no one was full by any means from the sampling before the meal was served. They had fun with it and I saved calories. When it came time to eat, I had a sampling of everything on my plate but very small portions and I only had a couple of bites of each food. Since it was very filling foods, the small bites were enough to fill me up and I didn't feel deprived at all....and I didn't feel like the big dieter at the table, so score one for me!:)

Exercise is going great. I continue to feel stronger as my endurance is coming back and the pounds continue to come off. I'm up to an hour a day on the treadmill while lifting small weights every five minutes for 2 minutes working the bi/triceps followed by stomach crunches and some squats. As of today I'm down to 182. I had some size 12s in my closet that are a little tight but I should be able to get in them by January...that's the goal anyway. I have a ton of size 12, 10 and 8 pants that still have tags on them. Thank goodness I never got rid of them. They are saving me from having to buy a new wardrobe. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

jacklin 12-20-2013 04:52 AM

Latest check in results......well, I went back to the doctor last week and my blood pressure is up slightly again. Geez...I don't know what is up with that other that the normal daily stress of my life but I'm still on meds which stinks but I'll continue to take them until we are sure I can go off. It's no where near as high as it used to be, its just not where it needs to be. I'm not going to lie, I'm really tired these days. The flu has been spreading throughout the area and I'm not sure if my body is trying to fight that off or what. All I know is that I feel like I could really take a 4 hour nap right now. Who has time for that???

I'm working on my doctorate degree and I should finish up with that in the next few months. I really think that if I can get that off my plate that will be one less thing to worry about and maybe that will help with my BP. TOO MUCH TO DO!!

As far as progress, I continue to truck along. I started doing some pilates only to find that I really need to get some sort of mat (which I should get from Santa). Pilates on a hard wood floor just doesn't cut it. The good news is that all the crunches that I'm doing have really paid off and I wasn't really struggling as much as you would think that I would as a beginner (again). I really loved what Pilates did for me in the past and I'm aiming for the same results. I'm having some major back issues and I'm hoping that by adding some Pilates and Yoga in the mix will help those muscles and alleviate some of the pain I'm feeling. At one point I was down to 178.2 and somehow I'm up to 178.4...hate it when that happens. I'll be out of town for some Christmas festivities but am still feeling strong about my progress. My goal this weekend is to get some sleep. I'm really run down and cannot afford to get sick right now!! Between working on a dissertation and trying to get these workouts in, oh yeah, this thing called Christmas that I'm trying to get ready for.....there are not enough hours in the day and I can't handle getting sick on top of that. Enough whining though, I just need a nap. TGIF

One victory I did notice though....I was playing with my daughter the other day and she was showing me some of her jumps that they do in her gymnastics class. She wanted me to try one of them. Now of course I cant do them, but I at least had to try them because that is all I keep telling her to do when she says she cant do something...just keep trying, just keep trying, honey...You'll get it!!! So I tried it. Now I don't know what it looked like, and really don't care because what I did notice was that my body didn't hurt when I landed. It used to ache if I tried to do anything like that when it was too strenuous for someone of my size. It's amazing how I really feel so much younger now. Not as many aches and pains. Yes, I have the back issues but that has alot to do with my chest size....on a side note, who can lose 60 pounds and not go down a cup size?? Me! That's who! What in the world? But that is another sob story for another day......have a great holiday!

Prospect84 12-20-2013 05:41 AM

I just read through your entire thread, your story is truely inspiring. I'm a lot younger, man, with 2 kids and a wonderful wife. I set out on my marathon less than a week ago. Already my energy is way up just from changing how I eat. Eating clean, keeping track of my calories, keeping a nice balanced diet of 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats (and avoiding trans fat at all costs!) It's nice to read others' succes stories, it is like confirming that I can do what I set out to do because like you, I finally made the decision to have a healthy life, not just "take off some weight"

Anyways I just wanted to say way to go and keep it going! So awesome to read about other peoples stories when they are honest. I started a thread of honesty of in the Newcomers section of the forums if you feel like stopping by, updating it pretty regular right now, only been at this for a week and it's going to be a long road. In fact, I plan on it be a life-long road, where I follow a healthy lifestyle and never even look back down the road of unhealthy binge eating that I was on before! Thanks again for sharing from the heart, and congratulations!

jacklin 01-17-2014 07:10 AM

Thanks Prospect 84! Good luck to you in your journey!

Just a quick update from me. I'm literally on my way out the door here but saw it's been almost a month since I've updated anything. Well...good news on the home front. As of Monday, I was finally taken off of the blood pressure medication!! I hated taking that stuff! Don't know why, but I didn't like the idea of taking it! Now, hopefully I'll be able to stay off of it. I'm down to 168 pounds and no longer "obese"....only "overweight" by the fitday standards, so I'll take it. That may not mean anything to some of you, but to those of us that have been in the obese range, it means a heck of a lot!!

Just out of curiousity I tried on a dress that had been in my closet for years. Didn't think it would fit and wouldn't you know it....it does fit!!! A size 8!!! I have gone from a size 22 to a size 8 since this summer! Now, to be completely honest I'm sure the size is a little off because none of my other sizes are near an 8 but I will wear that one size 8 with pride for now:D

I was also able to go into a department store and saw a shirt I'd like to try on. The large looked a bit big and there was no medium so I figured I try on the small and maybe by the summer I'd be able to wear it. Well, I can wear it NOW!!! At the last doctors visit, within a month my body fat percentage had dropped another 4% while my muscle had increased 2.1% so the weight training and cardio are paying off. I really do feel like I'll be able to meet my goals this time. I'm steadily dropping 1-2 pounds per week so it is slow and steady towards my goal. For the first time in a LLLLOOOONNNNGGG time, I'm actually looking forward to summer! :):):)

jacklin 02-25-2014 01:34 AM

Well, as updates go, I'm still losing and doing well. As of today I'm down to 154.2. My doctor had set the initial goal for me of 150 which I privately knew I wanted to be at 125 but at the time that seemed so unreachable. Now, I think it may not only be doable, but this may be one of the first times in my life that I have set a long term goal, stuck with it...and then reached it. Yes, I know, I still have some more weight to lose but I've come so far...I just don't see any stopping at this point.

I was trying to think about what to post this month, rather than the same ol' same ol'. I always try to post on something that I've learned or experienced, some new goal I've reached....I've tried to stay positive because I really feel like staying positive throughout this difficult journey is one of the things that has helped keep me on target. However, I do want to share some of the changing of the tides (so to speak) in the levels of support that I have received from others around me. Now, not to bash these people, because I really don't think the things that they say are meant to be hurtful or harmful, but when people are losing weight, I just don't think others really understand how impactful their words can be.

When I started losing weight, I got mostly positive feedback. You know, everyone is a cheerleader at that point. They are all happy that you've made the decision to make a change. What really made me happy was as the weight loss really started to show, I started to have other women come to me that struggled with their weight and ask me what I was doing. I have had some really great conversations with these women and even started a few new friendships out of this bonding over our struggles. I loved sharing my story that I was once embarrassed about if that meant it could help motivate someone else to make some healthier changes.

Now.....the reactions started changing, I'd say when I hit about the 65 to 70 pound loss range. The conversations always start with some compliment and then "how much weight have you lost??" Now when it was just 30 pounds or so, the response was usually "that's great!" or something like that. Now that the numbers have increased...I do still get the supportive "that's great!" but there's also an "oh my gosh!!" with an additional look over of my body....and then the dreaded question that has now been added....."well, how much MORE do you want to lose?" OR just the closing comment of "well, I hope you aren't planning on losing too much more" or "don't lose too much weight" or " wow, you don't look tired or anything..alot of people that lose that much weight look so tired!" or "did you have weight loss surgery??"...the list goes on and on.....

I think the one that offends me the most is " just don't lose too much weight". I really would like to ask them. Do you have any idea how hard it is to lose this amount of weight in the first place and then maintain it? Do you think I actually want to lose TOO MUCH weight?? It's hard enough just to try to hit an ideal weight, much less being under weight. And for the record...I'm 5'3 and small framed (a double curse if you ask me), the weight chart says I should be 104 to 141 pounds to be in a healthy weight range, so technically I'm still overweight. When I've explained that point to people and that I used to weigh 125 just 15 years ago, they remind me I'm no longer in my 20s.....Well that is true but just because I'm older does that mean I'm supposed to throw up my hands and give up and say its ok to be overweight from here on out?? That's what I WAS doing and I wasn't happy or healthy. And maybe I will find that I'll plateau and have a difficult time getting to the 120s.....but it hasn't happened yet so why are other women so determined to tell me I can't or shouldn't do it? Its funny how it seems to start out where people want you to do a good job....just not too good of a job with the weight loss thing. Am I eating enough? Well, lets see...I eat every 2-3 hours and I guarantee the chicken and rice I just ate was healthier than the bag of Cheetos you just ate. Do I exercise? I get up at 4:00 am before the rest of the family wakes up because it is the only time that I have to myself in the day...I do 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week...plus light weights, plus pilates/yoga when I can, oh yeah, I have 3 year old so we play outside/inside 24/7 in between those hours of exercise. If feel like I'm being questioned to see if I'm starving myself because I certainly couldn't have lost all this weight a healthy and natural way...no...that is unheard of!!

One of my good friends that started this journey with me had a heart to heart with me about her losing weight. She started off very strong and was actually losing much quicker than I was. She stalled in her weight loss a few months ago and has never really been able to lose much more and that's really where I began to really pick up on mine. But that's also where I was really able to get my work outs going (I had a fractured foot, and couldn't work out before that because my blood pressure was so dangerously high). After I had vented about some of the negative things people were saying, she admitted that she was happy for me but she was also struggling with being jealous of my success. I admitted I had noticed some of that which is why I no longer mentioned how much I had lost...in fact we really didn't even talk about it anymore unless someone else brought it up. It was one of the those uncomfortable conversations that you sometimes have to have between friends where she thought I was actually passive agressively complaining about her. I'm glad we were able to clear the air but it still makes me feel bad....there's nothing I can do about her frustrations and she is working really hard...

Anyway, what I have learned in the past couple of months is that gaining weight can be a lonely and isolating process but losing weight can also have the same effect at times. Now I'm not saying that I would want to gain it all back because of this!!! No way! But other peoples' reactions can be hurtful. I did have one insightful person say something that I believe to be a bit profound and I am holding onto this. She said....Don't let other people's level of uncomfortableness with YOUR personal success influence your experiences in this journey. She then advised me to keep my numbers private. It's no ones business but mine. So that's what I'm now doing. Of course I'm still telling a few that are close to me. But when others ask, I simply respond..."alot" and smile.

Okay, venting session over. I feel better :)

jacklin 06-02-2014 01:38 PM

One year down, my lifetime to go

Well, its been a year since I started posting. I started by reading my first post and my, my, my how much has changed in a year. I'm happy to say that I have officially lost 100 pounds in the past year. It really does seem like a blur to me but day by day I never gave up and the pounds did come off. I will say that if you stick with it, it really does work! I have gotten a couple of private messages so I will share with those of you that are curious as to how I did it.... I am a fierce calorie counter sticking to 1200 calories a day. I use my fitness pal app on my phone to calculate all of my calories and although it will let you eat more if you exercise, I never added anymore calories into my diet despite the calories I may have burned. I started out walking just as much as I could at a very slow pace...maybe 2.0? for about 30 minutes and now walk a minimum of 5 miles per day ranging from 3.5 to 4.0 mph so a steady pace but by no means a run. I've had some injuries along the way so I've had to nurse those and I've really tried to take care of my body rather than try to push myself to the limits and then end up pulling a muscle which is what I've done in the past. I do a lot of weight exercises using my own body weight, such as crunches, lunges, squats, planks, push ups. If you are looking for a challenge, you can look up 30 day fitness challenges for monthly plans to keep you on track. I use smaller weights while on the treadmill and have just now started using some weights with my squats as I'm getting to the last 10 pounds. Diet wise, I eat about 4-6 times per day...breakfast is about 320 calories followed by a morning snack of 150-200 calories. Lunch is usually 250 to 300 calories and dinner is the same. Depending on the calorie count at that point, I'll have a smoothie after dinner or even have enough for a snack before dinner. I've become an avid recipe hunter for healthy options for the entire family and find that it makes it easier if I can find something that everyone likes, its really about portion control for me. I cannot stress enough how important it has been for me to eat on a regular basis and stay "ahead" of the hunger so to speak. It keeps me in check and in control.

I've been able to go from a size 20-22 down to a size 4 dress/pants and even bought size 2 jeans the other day. I couldn't tell you the last time I ever bought size 2 anything! The best thing is that I'm off of the blood pressure meds and even better I was able to do cartwheels and round offs in our front yard last week end! Not bad for a 40 year old mom!!

In my last post, I vented a bit about some of the negativity that I had received from some people. I'm not sure if that has gotten better or if I'm just handling it better. Come to find out, there was a rumor among some office peeps that I was sick and that's how I was losing weight....that just made me laugh. You have to know these people to understand. If they aren't criticizing someone, they just aren't breathing. I've just had to realize it's just not about me, it's about them. Once that clicked, I was able to let a lot of that go.

I am still aiming for 10 more pounds to hit my goal. I'd like to hit that goal in July but we'll see. I'm really focusing on toning up this summer and getting stronger. I will definitely be looking at different things that I can do to keep me motivated and moving forward. I've grown to love my walks and enjoy seeing my body become stronger. We'll see what I can try to continue to challenge myself.

Thank you for following me in this journey. It's been quite a year!

Kathy13118 06-02-2014 03:02 PM

You have achieved an incredible goal. Yay, you! What a great feeling to know how hard your worked and how well it paid off.

I sympathize with your getting up early in the a.m. to have some time to yourself. My husband gets up very early because that is when he is most productive. I am most productive later in the day and at night. We meet somewhere in the middle!

JediMindTricks 06-02-2014 04:09 PM

Jacklin, that's amazing! Good for you! That took a lot of work and dedication. I'll look to you for inspiration to keep going and lose my +100lbs I have to lose. Yeah, don't listen to other people's negativity. Most people do that to try to feel better about themselves. Keep it up!

aimeet_1 06-03-2014 06:23 AM

Jacklin- I have just now finished reading every single one of your posts and I wanted to tell you how much of an inspiration you are!!! It's really wonderful to read of your weight loss journey and all the changes you've made in your life for your health and well-being. I wish you continued success in your journey!!!

Losing 100lbs, getting off your medication,going down in dress sizes, and so many more milestones you've reached in the past year! Thank you for sharing your story.

jacklin 06-04-2014 12:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm happy to hear that I can be some inspiration to others in this. I started this posting as a type of accountability effort for myself but if it can help motivate anyone else then that is amazing. When I was in the midst of everything, the weight loss often seemed slow and would at times stall especially here towards the end when I am nearing closer to my goal but I KNOW that if I just keep doing what I'm doing it will happen. Good luck to you guys:D I will post when I hit my goal! I'm shooting for July! Down to 134.4 this morning....

aimeet_1 06-05-2014 03:14 AM

Hi Jacklin-I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some of your fav healthy recipes and/or snack ideas when you get a chance? I cook for my family of 4 and am curious to get some new ideas.

Good luck getting to your final goal weight btw. I've had several ppl tell me it is unreasonable to weigh as much or less than I did when I was in my 20s and it's really nice to see how awesome you are doing with that. You've GOT THIS!

jacklin 06-05-2014 01:44 PM

Hi aimeet! Absolutely! I had actually been talking to my husband about putting together a notebook or collection of sorts of the recipes that I had found so I could share with my friends. I'll start posting some of my favorites. I have to warn you I am a bit of a crock pot queen. I work full time with a child and am in school so I cook in bulk and then freeze so you can adjust the portions if you need to. I'll post some things soon.