Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational Thread, starting May 27: New Week, New Start! >

7 Day Motivational Thread, starting May 27: New Week, New Start!

Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread, starting May 27: New Week, New Start!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default 7 Day Motivational Thread, starting May 27: New Week, New Start!

Good Monday morning, folks! It's a new week, let's get started!

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!):
  • Maintain adequate daily hydration:
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 1200-1550 calories:
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 800-1300mg sodium:
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average of at least 16g fiber:
  • Some sort of physical activity 4x during the week:
  • Study every day:

Most of my goals seem to be working for me, so I'll continue them for another week. I've swapped out the water goal, though. Unfortunately, this new one seems rather subjective. I'm not sure how to properly quantify what "adequate hydration" will mean. I know what I want: I want to be properly hydrated but I also want to stop being tethered to a restroom. I also want be able to sleep through night, uninterrupted. I'll play it by ear this week with the hope of being able to make a better goal next week.

Anyway, let's get the ball rolling, eh? What's on your list for this week?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

epixi - thanks for starting the thread - perfect timing - I just finished reading through the weekend posts. IMO, adequate hydration is easy to determine - it's when you don't feel thirsty. Years ago, people didn't walk around everywhere with water bottles and people were slimmer. Water can play a role in weight loss. There's research that shows that people who drink two cups of water before a meal eat less at the meal immediately following (makes sense as there's not as much room in the stomach for food). A research study also found that people ate less when eating a stew or casserole with water added turning it into a soup, than the group who ate the stew or casserole and drank a glass of water with it. Big applause for you for your two blue weeks!!!

Ian - glad your total calories for the week wasn't bad after all.

Goals for the week:
1. Avg 1400 calories a day:
2. Avg 45 min exercise a day:
3. Small bites, slower eating:
4. No sugar, white flour:
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default my goals for the week

I'm just re-starting, so my goals this week are going to be small and simple

1. Log all food and exercise
2. Pay attention to portion sizes
3. Drink plenty of water
4. Work out 15 minutes/day
5. Keep within the calorie recommendations on here based on my goals

I'll look back in a week and see where I get!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Mayberly - welcome! Glad you joined in. Good goals! Small and simple is the way to go. It reminds me of something my kids' piano teacher used to say: "Inch by inch, it's a cinch. Yard by yard, it's hard." Portion size is really important. I keep my measuring cups and spoons handy now - I really had to in order to log my food correctly.

Try to check in here daily if you can. It's really made a difference for me. It makes me focus on meeting my goals for today - one day. Trying to make my goals for one day seems manageable - I can focus on that. A longer time frame than that and I think I would slip.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Talking goals

Weight: 138
Goal Weight: 128
Height:5'7-3/4"

1. Need to make sure I'm drinking half my weight in water according to experts, lol, we'll see (I struggle to get 40 oz let alone 70oz).
2. Need to get more MUFAs
3. probably need to eat at least 1200 calories, only been getting around 1000, and feel lousy.
4. Absolutely need to do some more activity, even if its raining outside!!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Goals: eat more veggies, drink more water, exercise and don't obsess about the scale.
I walked 2.2K in 31min. today so I am going to raise my goal to 10K for the week. Let's see what my legs say about that tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by carolynnq
... A research study also found that people ate less when eating a stew or casserole with water added turning it into a soup, than the group who ate the stew or casserole and drank a glass of water with it...
Oh, I think I remember when you cited that study, Carolynn. Was that the sneaky one where they pumped extra stew into the bowl from underneath so people didn't realize how much they were eating? Diabolical, but funny!

Mabyerly, welcome aboard! Good for you for "small and simple". It takes a few trials to determine what's workable for you. As Carolynn said, do try to check in daily (even if you don't have time to post). I find it helps me keep the goals front-of-mind. That and keeping them on my phone's daily to-do list.

A hearty welcome to you, too, KWest! I'm right there with you on the water consumption. It can be a chore to get it all in! I had to look up MUFAs .

"...and don't obsess about the scale..." I like that, Lilbits! Good luck with the walking goal -- you've made great strides already (haha see what I did there? ).
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM
FitDay Member

Good job on the walking, LilBits. I walk sometimes

Debbie - I'm all for a red wine weekend pass!

Welcome, Kwest! I had to look up MUFAs too.

epixi - different soup study! I'm a food study geek. I find it interesting how many different variables influence the amounts people eat - rather than people just stopping eating when they're full. The first study was about the influence of visual cues. I wonder if my cat would eat more each day if I put her food in a bigger bowl?! For supposedly being so smart, people are tripped up by all kinds of psychological factors when it comes to eating.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Lilbits, good walking so far! Yeah you you can do 10.

Welcome to the newcomers and the re-starters.

Goals this week:

1. Maintain a rolling average between 1200 and 1400 calories: 1231
2. Walk 10k this week: M-2k
3. Swim 1x
4. Weight training 1x
5. Increase Omega 3: M-Y

I am so excited to go to the back clinic tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some direction.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Default libby116 formerly known as lilbits

I decided that I needed a new start today to be consistent so today is day one.
HW195 CW186 GW116
Jan 2013 May 2013 May 2014
I am so glad to be a part of this group and you have made me feel like I matter. I am here for the long haul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.