Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational Thread starting May 20 - Stay Strong! >

7 Day Motivational Thread starting May 20 - Stay Strong!

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting May 20 - Stay Strong!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default It's been so cold

I was craving comfort food yesterday so I made a large dish of scalloped potatoes.
With that I cooked fish and brussel sprouts. I thought that the good would balance the bad but my weight is up this morning. I refuse to turn the furnace back on. It's almost June. I want to get my bike out of the garage today and see if I remember how to ride it. I hope I don't fall off. Have a beautiful Sunday.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Scalloped potatoes! Damn, I want that! I haven't had anything cooked in an oven for almost 3 years
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

Heh that's true, Robin, a day of rest is probably a good thing. Thing is, my day of rest wasn't intentional -- it just sort of happened because I couldn't get my rusty butt in action . On a more serious note, fingers cross you'll get some good news regarding your back on Tuesday. It stinks when a condition persists and you're not really sure why. Oh, and on a lighter note, look at your Wonderful Week! Great job!!!

Donna, I'm envious that you can do planks and pushups. Planks and I do not get along at all. They make my lower back scream. I suppose that's telling me I need to strengthen those muscles. And sadly, I don't have enough arm/shoulder strength to do a proper pushup. Well, I can push up, I just can't lower back down. The elbows buckle, then splat. Does a faceplant count as exercise?

Looking forward to seeing your new, revised goal set, Ian! I think it's always a good idea to tweak goals. Try things out for a while then ask the old question: "How's that workin' for ya?". Regarding your point on rice cookers, yes, we have them in the States, but I don't know if they are the same as you have over there. I don't have one, even as much as I love love love rice! I just make it on the stove.

LilBits, I know it's disheartening to have an uncooperative scale (oh, how I know!) but in my opinion, with the exception of water weight, things don't work quite that fast (thankfully). Last night's potatoes may be still be sitting in your body but I don't think they became *part* of your body overnight. Changing subjects, I hear you about the weather. I actually did turn the heat back on. It may be near June but it feels like late-March. Heh last week, I was out playing a delightful round of golf. This week, I could almost go skiing (I heard they did have snow in the mountains near here).

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
  • At least 2000ml water per day: 2000, 2000, 2000, 2000, 2000, 2000 <--- looking forward to revising this goal
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 1200-1550 calories: 1319, 1349, 1372, 1392, 1383, 1379
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average between 800-1300mg sodium: 903, 876, 886, 907, 958, 989
  • Maintain a 7-day rolling average of at least 16g fiber: 23, 23, 22, 21, 22, 19
  • Some sort of physical activity 4x during the week: M=Tai Chi/Yoga, T=Taiko Class, W=Tai Chi, Th=Yoga Class, F=nothing, Sa=Tai Chi ---- (5/4) Goal exceeded!
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

We're almost done with another week, folks. Let's finish strong. As Carolynn said in the title of this week's thread, let's make it a Stay Strong Sunday!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lilbits120
Today I weighted in at 186.4 lbs. I am under 5ft and that is too much weight to be carrying around. If I made steady progress I could be at goal in a year.
The week ends are a challenge for me so I have to be vigilant and stick to my plan. It helps to have like minded people to convers with. We can do this.
I too find weekends very difficult to stay the course! I'm planning to stick to my exercise goals and calories target, but allow myself some red wine on the weekends. When I try to cut it out completely, it just makes me feel deprived! I hope as long as the exercise and food intake are good, a little wine won't defeat all my efforts.

Glad to have others that know what I mean!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lildebbieg
I too find weekends very difficult to stay the course! I'm planning to stick to my exercise goals and calories target, but allow myself some red wine on the weekends. When I try to cut it out completely, it just makes me feel deprived! I hope as long as the exercise and food intake are good, a little wine won't defeat all my efforts.

Glad to have others that know what I mean!
I notice that some have different calorie goals on the weekends, so that they can adjust as needed to weekend activity. Makes sense to be to raise your calorie limit on the weekends as long as you are in a deficit (even if it's a small one). Weekends are actually better for me as I have more time to cook. It is cold and rainy here (still) and I made a nice chicken stew today.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Week 1 (unrealistic) goals:

Less than 1500 calories per day, under 10 000 for the week.
Log all exercise to set a proper goal for week 2

Daily Progress (Sunday):

2753 Calories
Walked 1 mile

Weekly Progress:

13567 Calories
2.5 miles walked
600 situps
50 pushups

Well 13567 is a bit more than I intended but it seems it's low enough. Not quite enough exercise but I'll rectify that next week.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 PM
FitDay Member

That feeling of deprivation has knocked me off the wagon more times than I care to count, Debbie. Feeling (food) deprived makes me feel sad, far sadder than it should, but that's just the way I am. Once that happens, unfortunately, I go into victim mode, followed by "doggonit, I should be allowed to have it" and finishing up with "I'm gonna have it and you can't stop me. [Disaster] Bah, I'll start over on Monday...".

Mmmm chicken stew. A nice, comfort food, especially on a cold, rainy weekend day! I bet your house smells real cozy now, Robin.

13567 calories for the week is under 2000 average per day, Ian. Did that feel comfortable for you? Did you feel hungry with that amount?

As for me, I tried to make some blackeyed peas and rice tonight (Ian's post earlier in this thread made me start craving rice). It came out... ok, not great. My first time trying. Didn't follow a recipe, just threw stuff in a pot and crossed my fingers. It's a little bland. Next time, I may have to up the sodium content by adding more salt (or maybe a salt sub). Or maybe it needs butter. I am soooo not a cook!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

This week's goals:

1. Green tea 1x per day:M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y, S-Y
2. Calories 1200-1400: 1837, 1286, 1326, 1304, 1226, 1321, 1230
3. Swim once: Th
4. Gym once: W
5. Walk at least 2x: T, W

Yes the chicken stew was great and smelled great too! Good ending to a week that didn't start out so great -1837 eek!

I also made quinoa taboulah today to take to work for lunch.

Last edited by Robingen; 05-26-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by episode2011
That feeling of deprivation has knocked me off the wagon more times than I care to count, Debbie. Feeling (food) deprived makes me feel sad, far sadder than it should, but that's just the way I am. Once that happens, unfortunately, I go into victim mode, followed by "doggonit, I should be allowed to have it" and finishing up with "I'm gonna have it and you can't stop me. [Disaster] Bah, I'll start over on Monday...".
Your ability to read my mind is...scary!!!

On another note, I was cruising the site tonight and noticed that the 'Fitness' board is waaaaay slow! We all know that we just can't focus on just nutrition...getting physical plays a role as well...yup!! I'm going to have to think of some good fitness challenges to hopefully motivate us all to get moving! Stay tuned
Old 05-26-2013, 03:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default Better weather is on the way

The southern Ontario weather is going to warm up this week YAY. I need to increase my exercise to burn some calories. My son runs marathons and duathlons. My goal for the week is to walk 5K. Who wants to join me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.