Notices

green smoothie/raw salad fast

Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default green smoothie/raw salad fast

Hi,
I'm new to FitDay and am starting a Green Smoothie/Raw Salad fast this week. I plan to stick to this fast/feast at least for the month of May. I'll post regular updates here!

Here's my story: I am a teacher and during the school year I find that I often gain a lot of weight. Last year was a particularly hard year, and by May 1st, I discovered that I'd gained a total of 15 pounds from the previous year's gain of 10 pounds. I was having all sorts of health problems as a result--from back pain to depression to acne. That's when I discovered green smoothies. I went on a raw salad (vegetables and fruits, a small amount of nuts, no dressing except for lime and/or salsa) and green smoothie-based diet. It was the perfect diet for me--in a matter of days, my whole life turned around. I felt a new sense of energy, and the weight began to come off rapidly. My skin cleared up. My back problems melted away.

Over the late spring and summer, I concentrated on taking as much time off as possible and getting back into a healthy state. I lost 15 pounds by August and as the new school year rolled around I was feeling healthy and energized.

I expected to keep losing weight, but as the fall began, I found myself in a new job, in a new city, with a whole truckload of new family health & career issues not related to me but impacting my whole family. I became the family caretaker. In addition to being stressed at work and trying to make friends and settle into a new community, I spent most of my time outside of work dealing with these family health & career issues.

May 2013 rolls around again, and I find that I have gained back 10 of the 15 pounds that I lost. I stopped drinking green smoothies and started eating more and more comfort food and drinking wine on a nightly basis. My depression is coming back, and I feel and look exhausted all the time.

I am determined to nip this negative cycle in the bud.

So, I'm starting a new green smoothie fast. I know that green smoothies don't work for everyone, but for me they work great. I enjoy the taste. I like being creative with fruit/veggie combinations. And making them gets me out to the farmer's market on a regular basis to buy fresh organic food.

I plan to drink 60 oz of smoothies a day and eat one or two big, raw salads per day for the month of May. I'll post updates here about my weightloss and mood/health changes.

Day 2/April 29

Weighed in at 171.2 pounds
Goal is 150 pounds by July 30 (I'm 5'8'', large frame, female, early 40s, so I feel this is my ideal weight)

Energy level: Yesterday, I felt great after 24 hours of smoothies and raw salads. But due to my weight gain and general lack of self-care I've been struggling with insomnia. So, last night I didn't get much sleep. Woke up tired and cranky. Had 2 smoothies this morning and energy is slowly increasing.

I'm drinking coffee with almond milk, too. A little treat that helps me get through tired mornings.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

What is in your smoothies? My health has been bad so I have been thinking of some kind of detox.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

I mostly use recipes from the Raw Family website and books. They're great!
And super easy.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-13-2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Day 3 green smoothie fast

It's Day 3 and I'm feeling hungry. I was a bit irritable and light headed today, but nothing major. In general, I'm feeling a lot more energy and a sense of happiness and clearheadedness.

I've stuck to my plan pretty well--60 oz of green smoothies a day + 2 big raw salads (greens, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, cabbage, shredded carrots, bell pepper, lime juice or salsa).

Added 1 glass of wine per night and one cup of coffee with almond milk. Those are my weaknesses, I guess.

Today I'm down 3 pounds to 168.2

Not sure how long I can keep this going--hopefully till Memorial day weekend.

My goal is to lose 20 pounds by the end of July.