Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational starting April 1st: No fooling!!!  Let's Get April Started Right!! >

7 Day Motivational starting April 1st: No fooling!!! Let's Get April Started Right!!

Notices

7 Day Motivational starting April 1st: No fooling!!! Let's Get April Started Right!!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canary52
Mike is right, I can attest,
NOLA food is, no doubt, the best.
Coops at midnight for fried chicken,
And cafe beignets cause finger licking,
Gumbo, crawfish, red beans and rice,
And etoufee is pretty nice,
The food is worth a million trips,
(And don't get me started on the Voodoo chips)
But NOLA is more than just its food,
It can dance a sourpuss into a festive mood
The weather's warm and so are the folks
Who gossip, laugh and trade odd jokes.
They talk funny - that's a fact,
and throw a parade at the drop of a hat.
They really let the good times roll,
That NOLA vodoo just grabs your soul.
I love it

NOLA is a city, some say has been forgotten
The people that live here, are sure to spoil you rotten
Just as Hope said, the voodoo will grab your soul
There is laughter, music and dancing, all at the rock n bowl
Every day is a party but we move at a slower pace
You can eat crawfish on a table covered with news paper... or even lace
Our people are different and have their own story to tell
Just know that during the summer, it's hotter than hell
Feel free to come, anytime you wish
Here in NOLA, we always serve up a new dish
There are people here from all walks of life
Some have it made, while others live in strife
Everyone is welcome, come one come all
You haven't lived, until you've experienced a Mardi Gras Ball

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 04-02-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, Donna, and Hope - I'm loving the poetry (but that's one thing I won't be joining in on). Brought a smile to my face this morning.

Hope - Tagalog is a conglomeration of native, Spanish, English with some Chinese and Arabic influence thrown in. Lots of Spanish influence. Keso is cheese. Pwerta (door). Sapatas (shoes). My favorite is kamusta (how are you?) - it sounds like "como esta" said fast and slurred together. Hamburger is hamburger. Salamat is thank you (the Arabic influence). Tagalog tv is a great idea. I'll have to check. When I first started learning, I started with things in the kitchen. When I was washing dishes, every time I'd pick up a plate, I'd say plato, tinidor for a fork, etc. There was a lot of repetition, so those words have stuck with me - words I memorized randomly, haven't stuck with me as much.

Hope - I think it's smart to work cravings into your eating plan to prevent the cravings from turning into a binge.

------------
Yesterday was a good day, and I've started today with 25 min of exercise.

1. Calories under 1200 (I've lowered it this week) Y
2. An hour extra movement a day Y
3. No sugar, white flour Y
4. Small bites and put fork down between bites.-Working on it and I'm remembering to do it more often.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Re all the poetry: You folks are so creative! Loving it! Do you come up with those on the spot or have they been mulling about in your brains for bit? New Orleans should most definitely considering hiring you for those "Come to New Orleans" promos!

Re Tagalog TV: While I'm not familiar with Tagalog TV per se, I have an app on my phone that allows me to listen to radio from all over. I can sort/search by many criteria, language being one. There are somewhere close to 100 languages supported, and yes, Tagalog is one of them! Please let me know if I can mention the name of the app here, otherwise, I'll PM it to anyone who wants it (I'm not connected with the app in any way except as a consumer).

I use the app for listening to Japanese radio, Japanese being the language I'm studying (Goal: study every day). I haven't a clue as to what they're saying most of the time but I figure it helps tune my ear to the sound (and speed ) of the language.

Other stuff: I'm thinking I might modify my name to make it a bit easier to say/type. Sign in will still be Episode2011 of course, but for forum/signature purposes, I'm considering "Epixi". Get it? "Epi" for Episode and "xi" for Roman numeral 11 . Whadya think?

Going to go start a sig now .
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by episode2011
Re all the poetry: You folks are so creative! Loving it! Do you come up with those on the spot or have they been mulling about in your brains for bit? New Orleans should most definitely considering hiring you for those "Come to New Orleans" promos!

Other stuff: I'm thinking I might modify my name to make it a bit easier to say/type. Sign in will still be Episode2011 of course, but for forum/signature purposes, I'm considering "Epixi". Get it? "Epi" for Episode and "xi" for Roman numeral 11 . Whadya think?

Thanks! I came up with on the spot. A few of the ladies from this group have made it down to NOLA. I've got to meet some awesome people on here. Hope was just here and we finally got to meet up (several times) face to face. We hit up a parade (during Mardi Gras), walked the city, ate wonderful food, you name it. It's odd that a yank would have NOLA in her blood, but she's definitely has it.

I like the name, its catchy.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Yes New Orleans is in my blood
(Along with a little riverfront mud)
For those who wrote the city off
I can do nothing but scoff.
New Orleans is too big to die,
to go to that great Mardi Gras ball in the sky
If it were ever to go to its grave,
the folks would bring it back with a big ol' parade.
New Orleans is a gumbo, a great big stew,
it's a big brass band you dance the two step to
You can get grass fed burgers at the Rock and Bowl
and meet a soul mate wherever you stroll
Just remember - beware of the crime
cause N'awlins will steal your heart BIGTIME!!!

In NY, it is cold and windy
Why did we leave the Crecent City?
Florida was warm and breezy
But I much prefer the Big Ol' Easy,
It's the home of my heart and that's a fact
(and I even learned how to spell "Where y'at?")

I'm just making this up on the spot.
Mike got me rhyming, I can't seem to stop.
Am I am avoiding work and just being lazy?
Better sign off before I drive y'all crazy.

Last edited by canary52; 04-02-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by carolynnq
Mike, Donna, and Hope - I'm loving the poetry (but that's one thing I won't be joining in on). Brought a smile to my face this morning.

Hope - Tagalog is a conglomeration of native, Spanish, English with some Chinese and Arabic influence thrown in. Lots of Spanish influence. Keso is cheese. Pwerta (door). Sapatas (shoes). My favorite is kamusta (how are you?) - it sounds like "como esta" said fast and slurred together. Hamburger is hamburger. Salamat is thank you (the Arabic influence). Tagalog tv is a great idea. I'll have to check. When I first started learning, I started with things in the kitchen. When I was washing dishes, every time I'd pick up a plate, I'd say plato, tinidor for a fork, etc. There was a lot of repetition, so those words have stuck with me - words I memorized randomly, haven't stuck with me as much.

Hope - I think it's smart to work cravings into your eating plan to prevent the cravings from turning into a binge.
I love all this info on Tagalog, sooooooooo interesting. I know nothing about the language other than what you said but I sounds so cool. I also think that using it in your head over and over for things is a great idea. Thinking in the language makes it yours. Another idea from an otherwise terrible Spanish teacher I had: songs, children's books, anything you can get your hands, eyes or ears on. Think abut how kids learn (it's not like Rosetta Stone: I have it, trust me.)

As for working my cravings in, I have to. I already gained weight in FL and I know where I'm at now. I NEED my cheats/treats at the moment. I'll calm down.

Originally Posted by episode2011

Re Tagalog TV: While I'm not familiar with Tagalog TV per se, I have an app on my phone that allows me to listen to radio from all over. I can sort/search by many criteria, language being one. There are somewhere close to 100 languages supported, and yes, Tagalog is one of them! Please let me know if I can mention the name of the app here, otherwise, I'll PM it to anyone who wants it (I'm not connected with the app in any way except as a consumer).

I use the app for listening to Japanese radio, Japanese being the language I'm studying (Goal: study every day). I haven't a clue as to what they're saying most of the time but I figure it helps tune my ear to the sound (and speed ) of the language.

I may just call you epi cause I'm that lazy. I love the idea of phone aps but I can't get my aps to work (ask people here aobut my fab tech skills) This morning I forgot how to multi quote again and had to remind myself. Heavy sigh.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Epixi it is, then! Epi is fine, too! As the old saying goes, call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner. Hehe pretty appropriate saying for a diet and health site, eh?

As for that signature, I wrote it up but it didn't show up in my prior posts. I have "Show my signature" checked and I have "Show signatures" checked on the Options page. Could my sig not appear because 1) I needed to post one more post for it to take effect, or 2) one has to meet a minimum post count for sigs to be used or 3) sigs are a perk for Premiums only?

Thanks for any guidance!

~ Epixi

Edit: and there it is! Yay!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hope,

I must admit, you're on a roll
With all this poetry, you can cross off that goal

For those that are wondering what NOLA is, it's New Orleans, LA. My last bit about NOLA for now.

NOLA is a place, without much drama
The food is so good, you'll slap ya mama!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Hope,
Las fresas son rojas
Los arándanos son azules
Espero que este poema completa dos metas para usted
Si no es así
No hay mucho de lo que puedo decir
Me parece que lo que sabemos que esas palabras de todos modos
Mike,

Las limas son vertes,
Los limons son amarillos
Yo soy aqui
mi quierdo amigo.

Muchos gracias por todo!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

It's funny. I just saw that April is national poetry month...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.