FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread for 1/28/13 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9043-7-day-motivational-thread-1-28-13-a.html)

bojibridge 01-27-2013 11:37 PM

7-Day Motivational Thread for 1/28/13

I guess I'll start us off for this week!

I weighed in at 162.8 this morning, for a weekly loss of 1.8 lbs. I was ridiculously nervous getting on the scale! I'm pleased with the result overall. I mean, I would have liked to hit 2 lbs, but I'd prepared myself for just a pound lost, so it was good. I think I'm going to do another week without the scale again.

Here are my goals:
1.) Drink 64 oz water/day
2.) Some form of workout 6 days
3.) Under 1400 calories/day
4.) Finish ASTRO 534 HW by Wed PM
5.) Finish PHYS 479 HW by Fri

dmartz 01-28-2013 12:32 AM

What's for Breakfast?

After read a recommendation last week to 'make sure cereal has more than five grams of fiber and less than one gram of sugar,' I'm wondering what I can eat for breakfast. My usual default, raisin bran and yoplait is two out of two on the offenders list, and the other cereal in my cabinet is not much better.

So let's start an informal poll: What's your favorite healthy breakfast food?

(My goals will be the same as last week. I'll post them w/Monday results Tues. a.m.)

- Donna

jjrudd 01-28-2013 02:06 AM

Donna I eat spoon size Shredded Wheat--no sugar, no salt and 6grams of fibre. I had to look through all the cereals before I found one. I used to eat Harvest Crunch until I saw how much sugar it was!

Mern, my Dr appointment is Feb. 14. My weight is currently 273 but I wanted to be 270. My goal weight is 200. They had something on the news about diabetes risk for people who take statins so I have to ask about that too (I take it to protect kidneys).

Shovelled slushy snow this morning for 15min so I have half of my exercise in for today already :) 123 CALORIES BURNED!! (just looked it up)

Jenn

01gt4.6 01-28-2013 02:14 AM

Good morning ladies. This morning I weighed in at 194.8:mad::eek:

I just talked to sis (Tori) and she said she was trying to post goals but keeps getting kicked out. Anyone else still having issues?

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 94892)
Good morning ladies. This morning I weighed in at 194.8:mad::eek:

I just talked to sis (Tori) and she said she was trying to post goals but keeps getting kicked out. Anyone else still having issues?

Well look at what the Jassi Cat dragged in!

Tell Tori to go to last week's thread toward the end; I copied Paul's suggestions for clearing, etc. in there. That may get her in till they get it fixed.

canary52 01-28-2013 02:24 AM

Goals:
1) plan meals (seems to be working)
2) stick to plan or reasonable substitutes
3) water, gotta do it, 6 glasses c'mon
4) stretch
5) meditate (also working)
6) practice Spanish
7) write 5 days this week
8) do not get discouraged (health, writing, family, etc.)

Hello fellow motivators!!! Yucky day out but trying to keep spirits high. I got faked out by my scale. Got on today and it said I was the lowest I've been in 15 years (130). And then got on again (why did I do that?) and it was up a pound from that, which is still good. These five or six pounds are my "white whale." I got this.

That's what I want you all to say to yourselves too. I got this. Jenn, those three pounds by Feb 14: you got this. Joanna, you're so accomplished; you got this. Donna, you're sticking with your goals shows they're good ones. You got this.

We got this, right!! Sorry if I seem like an insane cheerleader but I have to go to my knee surgeon tomorrow and I am NOT psyched but trying to get into a positive place.

Breakfasts: lately egg whites and no nitrite ham, eggs (as omelets or with or without no nitrite bacon- turkey or pork- or chicken or turkey sausage.) But I am also adding almond milk shakes, oatmeal or sugar free or low sugar muesli (Familia) with almond or soy milk. I get bored, not gonna lie. Sometimes I buy sugar free goat or sheep milk yogurt (sounds yucky, I know but it's not bad) and add stevia and flavorings (chocolate and coffee are favorites) I get from the health food store. If you can do cows milk yogurt (I can't) I say get some Brown Cow or other good brand unsweetened and do your own thing, even if it's adding maple syrup, honey, stevia, whatever. I also think there's antoehr thread on this (breakfasts) but I might be mistaken.

Plan for today:
egg whites and no nitrite ham
1/2 chicken sandwich
DH's chicken and zucchini with peppers and onions
Snacks:
blueberries
clementines
dried kale
no nitrite trukey bologna
goat cheese

jjrudd 01-28-2013 02:32 AM

GOALS
the usual

1. Drink 6 glasses of water
2. Keep within carb/protein limit
3. Exercise 5X 30min
4. 4 fruits/veggies
5. Log
6. Don't focus on number on scale

Jenn

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 02:37 AM

Okay, Hope, I got this.

Thanks for making me say it. I just this morning told someone else that about a hurdle they were facing. And now I'm saying it again to myself and to all of you...You. Got. This. Or "youse," or "y'all;" you know who you are.

Mike, the wagon is waiting for you. Buckle down and saddle up and don't make us come after you.

Jenn, I agree...you can get there! Focus, grasshopper...;).

Donna, I usually eat a high-fiber English muffin for breakfast, a Greek yogurt, banana with a bit of peanut butter, or a slice of homemade wheat bread with a smear of peanut butter. This morning it was a homemade granola bar, which probably wasn't enough fiber or protein but I couldn't resist :o. If I'm late out the door, I just have some almonds. I'm not much of a morning eater either, but I have learned the hard way that for me personally, to not eat anything is totally shooting myself in the foot the rest of the day.

Joanna, congrats on your 1.8! That extra .2 will happen today, I'm sure, so don't sweat it. Keep up the great work :).

Mern 01-28-2013 02:58 AM

Donna, my husband eats Fiber One cereal. The nutrition facts say a 1/2 cup serving has 14g fiber and zero sugar.

Mern 01-28-2013 03:11 AM

Got a new eating lifestyle book Saturday. The plan I followed for the past 10 days (21-Day Metabolism Makeover) was good and I had a net loss of 3.5 lbs., but the book was out of my price range, even used. I'm switching to the 21 Day Mindset Makeover from the Diet-Free for Life book by Robert Ferguson who co-authored the other plan. It's basically the same program with a few newer tweaks but will be easier for me to follow with having a copy of the more affordable book. I have to adapt it, though, to my need to manage my blood sugar without meds. My tweaks will be sticking to the sat fat, cholesterol and carb limits my doc and I agreed upon.

This week's goals:

Calorie range 1200-1800
Follow 21 Day Mindset Makeover guidelines for meal and snack content and spacing, calories, fat, etc. with my health management tweaks
Saturated fat 10% or less of total calories
Cholesterol 250mg or less
Protein minimum 100g (plan is has unlimited protein)
Net carb limit (total carbs less fiber) 25g
Dietary fiber minimum 25g
Water 64 oz.
Snack 30-40 minutes before workout and meal or snack within an hour after exercise
Exercise 5 days

Today's planned menu:
Breakfast: a protein powder serving divided between flaxmeal as "cereal" and a peanut butter and low carb tortilla wrap
Snack: don't know yet
Lunch: deli ham chef salad
Snack: protein shake
Dinner: veggie omelet, strawberries
Evening snack: textured veggie protein "rice" pudding

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 03:23 AM

Mern, congrats on figuring out your new plan of attack. I daresay many people in general could benefit from a "mindset makeover," myself included! I know yours is more detailed than just the mindset, and I am eager to see how it works for you.

Goals for the week pretty much the same

1. Calories under 1300 daily.
2. Log everything; post update daily.
3. Stick to my pie chart rules
4. Take vitamins and supplements daily.
5. Eat clean and use portion control.
6. 4 fruits/veggies per day.
7. 64 oz. fluids daily.
8. Exercise 6 times.

As the wise woman said, I got this.

Gotta fly and get my W-2s to the post office. I hate tax stuff but fortunately that's hubby's field ;).

ToriD1012 01-28-2013 03:25 AM

I'm here! I'll post goals this evening after work.

Donna--my go to breakfast is lowfat cottage cheese. Sometimes with fresh fruit or granola and sometimes (like today) plain. It seems to work for me

canary52 01-28-2013 03:41 AM

Aw right , Mern, 3.5 pounds!!!! Woot woot!!! Wherre is the dancing banana?

Cassie, thanks for picking up the battle cry!!!

Tori, so good to see you here. Now can you get Mike onboard? You better post some goals, Mister.

Cassie reminded me of other breakfasts: Ezkiel muffins with either a couple of slices of cheese or my Tofutti cream cheese or pb. Apple with pb, sometimes with raisins, really yummy.

Good goals, y'all. Youse?

Mern 01-28-2013 03:54 AM

Joanna! Well done! Congrats on your weight loss. :) Best wishes on your food, fitness, and studies goals this week.

Donna, my favorite breakfast is a zero cholesterol egg substitute veggie omelet. Two servings of the egg substitute gives me 10g protein and no added sugar.

Jenn, thanks for telling me when your next dr. appointment is. You and I have a lot in common with the blood sugar and cholesterol issues and both being over 200 lbs. I forgot--do you also have high triglycerides? Kudos on the snow shoveling--certainly IS calorie burning exercise, especially when it's slushy snow. I'm rooting for you to reach your mini goal by Feb. 14. Keep thinking positive thoughts. :)

Mike, so what is your plan to attack your scale number? The only issue I had today was that as I was posting in the reply box my reply diasppeared and the page reverted to displaying the previous posts.

Hope, I think your scale must be a sister of my scale. If I get on mine three times in a row I get three different numbers--not kidding. I go by the highest of the three numbers to err on the side of conservatism. My doctor's scale consistently registers three pounds lower than my scale. I go by my own scale on FitDay, but keep in the back of my mind, when I'm discouraged that the doc's scale says I weigh three pounds less. :) YUM on your menu! I love cheese--any kind. On my new eating plan, though, I can count cheese as a protein if there are more grams of protein than fat--if so I am can have a whole ounce as a serving. But if there are more fat grams, I have to count it as a fat and can have only 1/2 ounce which means just using it as a flavoring. I used a half ounce on TOP of my omelet yesterday rather than IN the omelet and I could still taste it, so I guess I can adapt to that new guideline.

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope, this made me think of you. Not because you need to take it as a lesson, but because you champion this and fight it better than anyone I know:

Mern 01-28-2013 04:09 AM

Hope, a Woot woot is just as much appreciated as a dancing banana. Thanks! :)

I think even better grammar is "youse guys." Must be because that's how the teenage and young twenty-something wait staff always address us in Ohio restaurants. LOL

canary52 01-28-2013 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 94904)
Hope, I think your scale must be a sister of my scale. If I get on mine three times in a row I get three different numbers--not kidding. I go by the highest of the three numbers to err on the side of conservatism. My doctor's scale consistently registers three pounds lower than my scale. I go by my own scale on FitDay, but keep in the back of my mind, when I'm discouraged that the doc's scale says I weigh three pounds less. :) YUM on your menu! I love cheese--any kind. On my new eating plan, though, I can count cheese as a protein if there are more grams of protein than fat--if so I am can have a whole ounce as a serving. But if there are more fat grams, I have to count it as a fat and can have only 1/2 ounce which means just using it as a flavoring. I used a half ounce on TOP of my omelet yesterday rather than IN the omelet and I could still taste it, so I guess I can adapt to that new guideline.

Yes Mern you and I are sisters inthe demented scale category.LOL. Cheese as a sort of "condiment." I like that. Like Joanna, I love me my cheese. But with allergies and such I have to restrict. Good approach.

Glad you aprreciate the woots; they are heartfelt.

Cassie, thank you so much for that. I have a friend who says what you put out is what you attract. So I try to be positive, try sometimes being the operative word!!! But I can bear witness that the positive attitude works. You're pretty good on that score yourself, girl. Excellent, in fact.

jjrudd 01-28-2013 04:41 AM

Mern, I found my print out of my last Dr visit (Oct.23) with GP. Triglycerides are 2.70, should be less than 2.30. All my other numbers are normal except for A1C which was 7.1 (as a percent). The only numbers they are really concerned about is protein (for kidney Dr) and A1C. They would like it to be less than 7.

Jenn

amalthea1892 01-28-2013 04:44 AM

I fell off from posting end of last week – between the heavy work load and the log-in errors on FD I kind of gave it up! Unfortunately I am up a few lbs from last week… errr. I mentally allow a 3 lb range, but I have hit the ceiling to time to get back to it! I got this!!!

Similar goals for this week. I am really trying to cut back on “ingredients” in an attempt to eat real. This is proving really tough! I made pasta and there were 14 ingredients listed on the label :(. The coffee creamer I use at work every day has more ingredients than I am even going to attempt to count (so I am drinking black coffee at work now). And the Smart Butter DH and I usually buy has a laundry list of stuff in it, also too much to count.

At least DH and I are starting our garden early this year, and we have been drinking smoothies for breakfast every morning (re Donna :)) so we are plowing through fruit and veggies at breakneck speed!

Daily vitamin:
Nothing out of a box, can, bag, bottle or package that has more than 5 ingredients listed on the label:
Drink lots of H2O:
Be mindful of portion sizes:
Exercise 3x this week:

It sounds like we are off to a great start this week! Happy Monday to everyone!

01gt4.6 01-28-2013 06:17 AM

Unfortunately I believe I've lost my walking partner, Chloe'. We went out for a walk a few days ago. I planed on knocking out 6 miles. As soon as we got out the car, I noticed she had a slight limp. After about a mile it had cleared up. A couple miles in, I started to jog, my poor girl was lagging behind, so that didn't last long. We stopped several times so I could give her water, the temps were around 70*. Around the 1/2 way point, she was panting heavily so I stopped at a gas station and grabbed us a big bottle of water. Yes, I said us. :p

Soon after that I could tell she was whipped, head hanging low, tongue hanging out. I found a nice shaded spot and let her lay down to catch her breath for a little while. We start headed back towards the car, which is a couple miles away, and her limp has gotten much worse. We go about another 100 yards and I call it quits for my baby. As much as I didn't want to have to make that call, I called my GF to have her come pick Chloe' up. She sits down and puts her front left leg up. She sets it back down and lets out a yelp. So we sat and waited for her to show. Once she got there, I put her in the car and I continued my walk without my trusted partner.

I make it home she's walking with three legs with her front left leg up. I wrapped it and must have had the bandage a little snug because her foot started to swell up. I take off the bandage and she hopped around for the rest of the day. The following day she seems like she back to normal.

Last year the vet told me she had the beginning signs of arthritis. It looks like it caught up to her. The heat breaking thing is she LOVES to walk. I'm going to see about changing her food, if that seems to help I may start walking with her again. I will just have to limit her to short distances.

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 94904)
Mike, so what is your plan to attack your scale number? The only issue I had today was that as I was posting in the reply box my reply diasppeared and the page reverted to displaying the previous posts.

That would require me getting my head out my ass. I guess I need to do that.

01gt4.6 01-28-2013 06:20 AM

1) Lose 2 pounds
2) Eat better (more fruits and veggies, less junk)
3) Lift 3 times
4) walk 10 miles
5) Drink more water

Mern 01-28-2013 10:17 AM

Hope, "demented scale" :p I'm so sorry you have to restrict your cheese due to allergies. Today I erred in choosing both 1/2 ounce fatty cheese on my chef salad for lunch and having a 21g stick of protein category cheese as a snack. It was a good lesson for me to learn on my first day on this program. With having eaten both cheeses, my sat fat today will be at 12%. Had I not eaten the fatty cheese, I'd have made my goal of 10% saturated fat. Ah, I GET it now. And I think it's an adjustment I can make without much difficulty. I sought out a new eating plan to learn some new tweaks to try to help speed up my metabolism, and the cheese guidelines may prove to be quite a beneficial one.

Jenn, thanks for telling me what normal is for you for triglycerides and A1C. We measure our triglycerides differently. Normal is 150 or less and my last test was a whopping 272, down from my highest of 286. A1C normal here is 4-6% mine has been between 5.6 and 5.9% since May of 2011. My doc is a little leary of all the protein I eat, but my blood protein and any tests that would point to possible kidney problems are always normal. Doc gave me her reluctant blessing to proceed at 120g protein per day until my next blood tests in March, but I'll compromise and see if I can drop it down to 100g on my new plan (which has unlimited protein) and still lose weight.

Ama, happy Monday to you, too. Keep in mind that being up a few pounds doesn't mean it's all fat weight gain--could also partially be water retention and scale fluctuations. And yes, YOU'VE GOT THIS, too. Now might be a good time for you to start with unseasoned canned tomato sauce and add your own herbs and spices--I'll bet it wouldn't be 14. UGH, I cannot go black coffee--more power to ya. Ooh, I should look at my brand of smart butter. Thanks for bringing that up. Smoothies are yummy--I'm so glad Donna shared her ideas with us. :)

Aw, Mike, so sorry about Choe's pain. It really sucks big time when our pets develop arthritis or any other health issues. LOL on your reply about where your head has been. But there ya go! Nice simple goals for attacking your scale numbers.

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 10:30 AM

Yep, I'm looking forward to trying a smoothie soon, too. I just need to get past the cold-drink-cold-weather hurdle. Maybe later in the week.

Mike, sorry about your Chloe' girl :(. There are some folks who live near us who had an elderly dog with a lot of joint pain. They did get some medication for her and it helped quite a bit. I hope you can find something to help her.

But that's not an excuse...keep walking ;). Now you have to enjoy it for BOTH of you.

Ama, I hear you on the ingredient thing. Was it the pasta or the sauce that was the problem? I have a lot of recipes I like for sauces; if you want some, give a holler. My hubby's Italian, so it's always been homemade sauce in our house. He refers to Ragu as "raw goo." And the Smart Balance butter is one of my conundrums as well. I waver between the artificiality of margarine and the heavy calorie/fat load of butter. Right now I'm using something that is a butter-olive oil blend; not calorie friendly, but I don't use it much. Same for sugar vs. sweeteners. I don't know that there's a answer; it's just personal choice.

Thanks, Hope :).

Glad you all are here today. Wish some of our long losts would pop back in!

dmartz 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Mern, I should follow your lead and do egg white omelets, but I know I'll never cook breakfast on a weekday. It just won't happen, so that's out. I used to cook up a nest of boiled eggs and eat one or two on the mornings when I was in a hurry. With a couple of dashes of hot sauce to get the motor running. Now, one whole egg is my whole cholesterol limit for the day. & I might have a problem boiling a half dozen egg whites, so I think that's out. I'll have to try Fiber One. And goat milk yogurt.

Jenn, My Mom used to eat Shredded Wheat all the time and I would make fun of her, but even though it looks unappetizing to me, I can get over that. Humility, is not my strong suit, but I could perhaps add a side of crow.

Cassie, I switched to all natural peanut butter, so peanut butter and bananas are definitely a possibility. High fiber english muffins sound good, too. I eat a lot of almond for snacks, but think something more substantial for breakfast will keep me sated longer. BTW, I love the jpg you posted.
Oh, & instead of butter I've been using peanut oil, or peanut/olive mix. Once in a blue moon I'll throw in some butter to get things browner, but just a pat. Peanut oil is a tad expensive but not as much as real butter.

Tori, I haven't tried cottage cheese in ages! I'll have to consider that. Since my main goal is lower cholesterol I've tried to swear off cheese or all kinds, but cottage cheese may work.

Ama, I'm with you on 'nothing that has more than 5 ingredients listed on the package' rule. Excellent advice. And smoothies, with low sugar yogurt and cud, um, I mean kale. That's what I should eat, smoothies with greek yogurt and green vegetables!

Hope, You Rock. Don't let that doc try to intimidate you. You Got That.

- Donna

ToriD1012 01-28-2013 12:39 PM

Goals

I'm gonna go with my old way of setting my goals, separate goals for fitness and home....here goes nuthin...

Health/Fitness

1--Under 1800 calories--Higher than I was previously doing, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just going to take longer to get these last 20-30 pounds off. I've just got to step up my exercise. Speaking of which.....
2--EXERCISE!!!--I haven't been doing this in months. No wonder I've stalled, then started to slowly gain a little back. I've tried the treadmill....I just can't force myself to walk on it. It's so freaking boring....and yes, I've tried watching tv, listening to an audio book, it's BORING!!!! I'm gonna have to break out some of my old DVDs and warm them back up. I'm shooting for 3 nights this week.
3--Water--my nemesis.......

Home/Life

1--See The Jassi Cat no fewer than 4 times this week--Going between the two different households is starting to wear on me, but I can't take it out on her by not going by.
2--Organize the cabinets--My OCD is really starting to rear it's ugly head, and the cabinets are driving me batty!!!
3--Start working on the pillowcases--I've had an embroidery pattern for weeks, haven't done anything with it.

That's it. Not too too hard. I'm hoping I can keep up with it this week. WHN learned that his triglycerides were high, so he needs to start watching what he eats too. It's hard during the week, because we work different shifts we normally fix quick meals. And we all know "quick" doesn't always equal "healthy". Life is going good though. His sister has officially moved back in with her husband. She turned over her key yesterday. His niece moved to her dad's a couple of months ago, so it's just the two of us now. We've been looking at houses, and he's going to go see about getting preapproved for a home loan pretty soon. He's realized that, while the rent is awesome here, the landlord is lazy and at the end of the day (Sorry Bubba) we have nothing to call our own. We want to own...it's what makes sense. Okay, I'm off to do the dishes. We need to find a house with a dishwasher..........:p

Mern 01-28-2013 01:41 PM

Donna, have you tried the zero cholesterol egg substitute like Egg Beaters? I mostly use the store brands, though, because they're cheaper. Giving up shell eggs was one of the keys to getting my cholesterol down to normal. Sometimes I use half regular egg substitute and half egg white substitute for my omelets. I tried to make a deviled egg a couple weeks ago with egg substitute, but it didn't work. I was hoping to be able to somehow cook the white in the shape of half a boiled egg, but I couldn't do it. For my tuna salad, I cook the regular yellow egg substitute in a shallow bowl, allow it to cool, and then dice it to add to the tuna salad. DH said it tasted just like regular egg in the tuna salad. Does to me, too. There are recipes for make-ahead omelets that you bake in a muffin tin, store in the fridge and then reheat the next few days in the microwave. I haven't made any for a long time, but I'm sure they'd work the same with egg substitute.

Tori, kudos on setting some goals and your willingness to get back to exercise. I haven't been getting to the Y lately and have been doing exercise to DVDs. I need to get some new ones to add some variety. I haven't done embroidery since I was a young teenager. Funny you mentioned that because not more than half an hour ago my little sis and I were reminiscing about one of the elderly neighbors (when we were children) teaching us how to do it. Best wishes with your eating lifestyles and living arrangements.

Robingen 01-28-2013 01:44 PM

Hi Everyone, just getting on now and I am sick so I won't be exercising for a few days other than some gentle yoga. My stomach is fine so I am sticking with the same menus. I eat Fiber One or Shredded Wheat for breakfast. Although last week a couple of days I had green smoothies. If I am rushed I eat a banana on the go.

Joanna congrats on your loss really. 1.8 is an admirable loss for one week. I think that means that officially you are off plateau?

Hope best to you at the Dr. tomorrow.

Mern 01-28-2013 02:24 PM

Robin, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Monday Report:

I did pretty well for my first day on my new eating plan. Went over in sat fat by the fat in 1/2 oz. cheese and by 1/2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate that I ate to satisfy a chocolate craving. Over in carbs by the 2g in the baking chocolate.

Calorie range 1200-1800 1404
Follow 21 Day Mindset Makeover guidelines for meal and snack content and spacing, calories, fat, etc. with my health management tweaks. B+
Saturated fat 10% or less of total calories 14%
Cholesterol 250mg or less 155mg
Protein minimum 100g (plan is has unlimited protein) 110g
Net carb limit average 25g (total carbs less fiber) 27g
Dietary fiber minimum 25g 40g
Water 64 oz. YES
Snack 30-40 minutes before workout and meal or snack within an hour after exercise YES
Exercise 5 days YES

canary52 01-28-2013 03:05 PM

Donna, Robin, everyone thanks. Little nerovus but I got this, right?

Ama, love the no packaged food, limited ingredients goal. Love it. I know it's hard.

Exhuasted, can't read posts. Big day tomorrow, class trying to work out this piece and be done.

Tawk soon, Hope

canary52 01-28-2013 03:09 PM

Goals:
1) plan meals (seems to be working) - yes
2) stick to plan or reasonable substitutes - ish
3) water, gotta do it, 6 glasses c'mon - yup
4) stretch -yes
5) meditate (also working) -yes
6) practice Spanish - no
7) write 5 days this week - yes breakthrough!!!
8) do not get discouraged (health, writing, family, etc.)- trying

canary52 01-28-2013 03:10 PM

Plan for tomorrow:
Ezkiel English muffin and Tofutti cream cheese
chef salad
yellowfin tuna, Asian veg and brown rice OR squash ravioli and shrimp (eating out)
Snacks:
clementine
apple
tangerine
kale
roasted soy nuts
sf biscotti

how i did today:

Plan for today:
egg whites and no nitrite ham - yes
1/2 chicken sandwich -yes
DH's chicken and zucchini with peppers and onions -too much
Snacks:
blueberries -yes
clementines -one
dried kale - yes
no nitrite trukey bologna -no
goat cheese -no

1/2 slice vegan lemon pie made with coconut and walnuts and agave syrup

bojibridge 01-28-2013 03:12 PM

For today:
1.) Drink 64 oz water/day: M - Y
2.) Some form of workout 6 days: M - Y
3.) Under 1400 calories/day: M - N
4.) Finish ASTRO 534 HW by Wed PM: In progress
5.) Finish PHYS 479 HW by Fri: In progress

Went over on calories today - probably ate just under what I burned. I was just feeling so munchy, and I couldn't convince myself to not make popcorn, and when I make popcorn, well, it's not a particularly healthy snack. And then I was just like, whatever, I'll just eat everything in sight. Ah well, could have been worse!

01gt4.6 01-28-2013 03:56 PM

1) Lose 2 pounds
2) Eat better (more fruits and veggies, less junk)- I ate better (not a lot of veggies though)
3) Lift 3 times- 0
4) walk 10 miles- 0
5) Drink more water- no

I wasn't expecting to workout or walk today because Mondays are hectic but I should have done better with water.

Mern 01-28-2013 04:24 PM

Tuesday planned menu:
Breakfast: veggie omelet topped with 1/2 ounce Laughing Cow Cheese
Snack: almonds
Lunch: tuna salad on a bed of fresh spinach, sweet & sour cucumbers
Snack: protein shake
Dinner: low carb meat loaf, sauteed green beans, low carb pasta with mushrooms
Snack: textured veggie protein "rice" pudding

Mike, way to go on eating eating better. :)

Joanna, great job on probably eating just under what you burned. Better than the other way around. :) Isn't popcorn pretty healthful if you don't put salt and butter on it? But I'd guess it would taste akin to styrofoam packing peanuts. LOL

Hope, questions:

1. When you report on how well you stuck to your menu, is that because you feel you didn't do well if you deviated from what you planned or do you do that in lieu of logging in the nutrition tracker? Just wondering because in my plan the author strongly recommends pre-planning but gives his blessing to change our minds as long we stay within the plan's dietary guidelines.

2. Does tofutti cream cheese taste like Philadelphia Cream Cheese?

I use Hormel or Boar's Head no preservative ham and also no nitrite bacon. Your menu tomorrow looks yummy! I LOVE squash ravioli and boiled or grilled shrimp, but not breaded or deep fried shrimp. Does your DH cook the chicken and zucchini with peppers and onions? That sounds delicious.

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 04:48 PM

1. Calories under 1300 daily. 1301...geez!
2. Log everything; post update daily. Yes
3. Stick to my pie chart rules. Yes
4. Take vitamins and supplements daily. Yes
5. Eat clean and use portion control. Fair to good
6. 4 fruits/veggies per day. Yes
7. 64 oz. fluids daily. Yes
8. Exercise 6 times. One

Just put some steel-cut oats in the slow cooker so they'll be ready for breakfast. I haven't tried that before...we'll see how it goes. Sweet dreams, everyone :)

jjrudd 01-28-2013 11:39 PM

GOALS
the usual

1. Drink 6 glasses of water only 5
2. Keep within carb/protein limit 140/65 (a little over) screen kept freezing when I was trying to log foods (no problem with forums) so I added it up manually.
3. Exercise 5X 30min yes
4. 4 fruits/veggies 2.5 :(
5. Log yes
6. Don't focus on number on scale hmm trying

Jenn

dmartz 01-28-2013 11:56 PM

Monday Report

• Cholesterol < 250 mg/day: 106
  • Exercise > 30 mins x 3: 45m,
  • Vegetables > 3 servings/day: N
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 54
  • Calories < 1750 / day: 1430
  • Less Sugar: ~

bojibridge 01-29-2013 12:21 AM

Mern - yes, popcorn can be a good snack, but not when I make it! For one, it was waaay too much popcorn for one person, and then I did put butter and salt - a lot of it! And also nutritional yeast, which totally makes it nutritional, right? Not likely :) And in the end, I think I did eat more calories than I burned. And all the carbs I ate earned me a high blood sugar this morning, naturally. It's funny, actually, 'cause it's been days since I've had a high blood sugar, what with working out and all, so I'm feeling it a bit more than usual - you know, tired, kind of dehydrated. What's crazy is - I used to live like this all the time. Back before I got my crap together a few years ago, my blood sugars were ALWAYS like this - and somehow I thought I was fully functional! I'm so glad I'm not there anymore.

dmartz 01-29-2013 12:59 AM

Sugar induced rant

I've got a rant I'd like to get off my chest. I know Fitday has had a lot of issues lately with their server systems administration, but once they have this resolved, I hope they will address another shortcoming they've had for a while - They should update the Nutrition Facts label in the food log section to match the one mandated by the FDA.

Where does it differ? Fitday does not have the entry that specifies Sugar. The Sugar item was added to the Fed regulations for food labeling in 2006 - I looked it up. ( See Nutrition Labeling of Food: “Sugars” - US Code of Fed Regs, Title 21, Sect. 101.9(c)(6)(II) ) The USDA database has contained this data for several years, (since ~ 2008, I believe.)

So, I'm hoping that Fitday can update their db so this can be logged and tracked like other nutrition components, in the near future. This would be a big help to people who would like to quantify their sugar intake in their journal.

I've read comments in the past that with some nebulous mentions that this may be forthcoming, but never any assurances that work on adding 'Sugar' to the Food Log was underway. Can anyone confirm or deny rumors of the impending introduction of Sugar to the food log?

- Donna Martz

P.S. The USDA What's In The Foods You Eat Search Tool may be of interest to some.

Mern 01-29-2013 02:03 AM

Byardley, welcome to our group. Edited in later: Oops welcomed this person to our group by mistake unless he/she is lurking. I accidentally picked up the name from a thread on another forum.

Cassie, one calorie over goal is something to crow about. LOL Nice report! I hope you had a great night of sleep and enjoyed the oats this morning.

Donna, Mike and Jenn, I'm rooting for you to eat more veggies today. :)

Jenn, congrats on the water you DID drink and on your exercise and logging. I had trouble with the nutrition tracker yesterday and I don't think it was my computer. It was freezing on me, too, and sometimes would revert back to whatever page of the website I was on previously.

Donna, nice report! I was going to suggest you copy your post about tracking sugar to the Forum Feedback and Support, but I see you already did that. Best wishes.

Joanna, LOL on the yeast popcorn. Can you taste the nutritional yeast? You've come a long way in learning how to control your blood sugar. Kudos on that. I think the deal with feeling fine with high blood sugar is that we don't realize how much better we could feel with normal blood sugar until we get there. It reminds me of when I asked my eye doctor for computer glasses as bifocals with no prescription on top and a reading prescription on the bottom so I could read from a paper and type it into the computer. He gave me a prescription for the top of the bifocals, too, and until then I thought my computer monitor was supposed to look slightly fuzzy. Controlled blood sugar is our "new normal." :)