Notices

Nervous

Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Nervous

Hi everyone, I'm a male college student who is attempting to lose some weight. I'm only on the first day of my weight loss journey and I'm already nervous. I'd need several hands to count how many times I've tried to embark on a journey and gave up. The last time was the most successful, but still here I am, having gained about 30 - 40 pounds in a year. I'd like to blame Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I know that would be pointless.

I guess for once I'm actually looking for support because I'm tired of my 'gut' and I can't wait to loss it.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Very few people diet just once, lose the weight, never have to diet again. Maintenance of the weight you do lose is a kind of diet, so anyone who diets even once stays on some kind of eating plan to keep it off. So, don't beat yourself up for trying to diet many times.

When you find the right balance, you'll know. It will be easier to turn down more food (or drink - if you're a college student, you're going to have occasions to drink alcohol!) when you are happy to know that it keeps your weight down. When you haven't hit your 'groove' yet, you'll be constantly adjusting and resisting. Keep at it and you will find what works for you - financially, emotionally, physically. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you.

I think my biggest fear, and what's making me nervous, is portion control. I've always eaten relatively healthy food, but I eat a lot of it.

Thanks again, I think I'm starting to feel better about going forward already.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Me too!

Weightlozer,

I completely relate. I'm a student as well, although this is my 2nd time around (first career didn't survive the recession). I too feel good about my knowledge of healthy foods and what NOT to eat, but my portion control is non-existent. Once I realized I was eating three portions of cereal at a time, I got serious with FitDay.
If you need a cheerleader for your successes (or your slip-ups) just let me know!