Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread for 1/7/2013

Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
I couldn't get any help from the dietitian
Because she was a MORON. Truth.

Will be back with a more detailed post later; going to try to run some errands and beat the drizzle.

Joanna and anyone who's doing/done grad school in the sciences, this is for you. And speaking of that, WHERE IS TERRI???

Zheng Lab - Bad Project (Lady Gaga parody) - YouTube
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, I'm glad you posted about the argument with your daughter. We parents certainly don't have all the answers, but I must say that in my 36 years of parenting I can say in all honesty that the best any of us can do is to make the best decisions and actions according to the information we have at the time. And that's what you did in the obesity discussion with your daughter. I remember how I hated it when my Mom told me something for my own good--things that needed to be said and there was no other way to do it except to "tell it like it is" because she knew I was living in denial and headed down a path of self-destruction. It was hard to hear at the time, but eventually I came to accept that she was right and that I was the only one who could change my life to make it better. If the subject comes up again, just continue to reassure her that you said what you did, not to hurt her feelings, but because you love her and have her best interest at heart--for her to live a long, happy and healthy life. Huge Mom hugs to ya!
Thank you for this. She has told me that she hates when I tell her these things that she already knows or feels or hates about herself. She hates to feel she is disappointing me (ashe's not) or I am judging her (Hoenstly, in ways I am and in ways I am not.) But Mern, I have danced around this issue so as to try not to make her feel bad for years and it's just getting worse. I feel I had to as you say "tell it like it is" even if she hates me for it now. I know she and I have a bond that will not be broken by this and if this talk could give any impetus... it was worth it, worth her going back to school resenting me. But I don't fool myself. She has to not only want it but to be willing to put in the work to do it. Don't we all know that!!!

All that being said, I, of course, ate a "comfort" slice of pizza. I do not say I am the best example but I try.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

I hear ya, Hope. I, too, am so discouraged, trying my hardest and getting nowhere on a personal issue with a family member who is in a self-destruct mode and not accepting sound advice--not health, but serious personal and financial issues of that person. I'm also discouraged about honestly doing my personal best on food goals, water, and exercise, and doctor's recommendations, and having stalled out on weight loss again after only a 2 1/2 lb. net loss two weeks after my restart. I usually lose about 6-7 lbs. on a restart.

I don't know what else to do except to keep on keeping on, so that's what I'll do until I get whopped upside the head with new inspirations that are wise and that work. Hang in there, kiddo--you and I can and will succeed.

Your daily reports and food look great. I have a pork shoulder in the crockpot to make low carb shredded pork BBQ. I'll just have to be careful to watch my portion sizes to stay within my dietary cholesterol and sat fat targets, but I can do it.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: flaxmeal muffin and protein shake
Lunch: broccoli egg substitute omelet
Snack another protein shake
Dinner: low carb pork BBQ on a low carb tortilla, coleslaw made with ranch dressing instead of mayo
Evening snack--don't know, but I'll make it fit in my targets.

Going to a birthday party Sunday for our one year old great-granddaughter from DH's first marriage. They're just having snacks and cupcakes, so even though I wasn't asked to contribute a dish, I'm going to take some kind of low carb snack to share so I know there will be something I can eat. I usually don't buy protein bars, but I'll buy a low carb bar to shove in my purse to keep me from eating a cupcake.

Mern, sorry to hear about your family member; it is so hard to watch people we care about make bad decisions but we do what we can and then hope they want to make the change.

Your menu looks great and I think it's great you hae a plan. I am trying to make myself stay, when everything says give up. I can relate to what that feels like. Let's keep on keeping on, Mern, let's keep going.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Good Morning All!

I have had a really great first week being back on track and the scale has been really rewarding, as well. Pulled out a pair of black, skinny cords that I loved to wear with some boots last winter and they fit great... Yea! It's amazing at what just 5 lbs. can do. BUT, now is the weekend, where I always fall on my face. I have to find a way to stay on track with hubby always wanting to indulge in one food or another. Ugh. Daughter will be going back tomorrow, which will allow me more time to do walking and other things that should help.

Hope,
Sorry to hear about all the things that are going on right now. As you know, my daughter is about the same age, so I know what it can be like at times. We try to walk a fine line between "being mom" and letting them adventure into full adulthood... Sometimes seamlessly and sometimes with a thud. Sometimes, I think the best we can to with young adults, is to lead by example and eventually, they seem to follow. I wanted to clean up my daughter's eating and was unsuccessful. It was only after she started dated a guy that attended West Point last year that she suddenly "found" exercise, proper eating and training... Go figure. Be patient. When she has had enough of clothes that don't fit, dressing room nightmares, etc., like all of us, she'll come around. Think of it like trying to talk an alcoholic into giving up drinking if they don't want to. Eventually, she'll come to the right conclusion... It just takes time.
Quinn, what you say makes a lot of sense. I think she MAY be on the way there: the clothes that dont fit (they shrunk in the wash) the dressing room nightmares (all these clothes are for Barbies.) But she knows the truth even she says, "None of my friends said I gained weight. Only you." (meaning me) She knows; she's said it to me. I was just adding insult to injury I guess. I hope she realizes and WANTS to take better care of herself. Does this West Point guy have a nice friend? LOL.

Last edited by canary52; 01-11-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jjrudd
Hope, while I am not a parent I can remember my parents forcing me to go to Weight Watchers. It didn't work and I would stop at the variety store and buy a bag of chips out of spite (yeah, I know!). She has to want to do it for herself.

Mern, I hear ya on being discouraged. I wish I had a follow-up appointment sooner with dietician at Diabetes Centre. Although they aren't any help in developing a meal plan that is low protein! If I try to eat too low carb I'm hungry in between meals.

Jenn
Jenn, I hear ya. I can't force her. But we have serious heart, stroke and diabetes issues in this family. I hope she wakes up before her health suffers.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'm behind on my updates so I'm going to try to catch up as best as I can, I'll have to finish it later tonight

1) log everything (except for one cheat day) yes (it wasn't that pretty), no, (I think so, I have to check, no
2) 3 fruit/veggies per day 2, 3, I think so
3) exercise 3 times 0, 0, 1, 0
4) a lot of water pretty good, not too good,no, no
---------------
DONE 5) write two policies 0, none, 0, out of work, 3
6) lend a helping hand not yet, yes (maybe I can do another before the week is up, nope, bed ridden
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

Joanna, kudos for knowing how to be able to keep Starbucks on your menu. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from your sharing. My wonderful, super-helpful doc was able to help me get my blood sugar down to normal through diet, but she had run out of ideas to help me with speeding up my metabolism through diet to lose weight.

Cassie, Yeah, that dietitian from the pharmaceutical company IS a moron. We had our drizzle earlier in the day and have blue sky and 58 degrees at 5:30PM.

Hope, even when I resented my Mom for trying to give me impetus, deep down I knew she was right. Mine wasn't about weight, but about my former fiance. And I had to be the one who was willing to suffer short-term in order to have a secure, happier life in the future. Hey, you didn't tell DD she had to be perfect, just better about her choices. One "comfort" slice of pizza is OK--you were in control. The family member about whom I am speaking made me want to explode again today with yet another asinine choice that isn't going to matter a drop in a bucket on alleviating any problems. To my credit, I merely fantasized about throwing rocks. LOL Yup, I'm with you on keepin' on keepin' on.

Mike, kudos on the fruit/veggies and policy writing. Oh no! Are you sick? If so, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Last edited by Mern; 01-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Just got my HbA1C results back - 6.4%! For those not in the know, that's basically a 3 month average of how my blood sugars have been. That's the best A1C I've ever had! Well since I was diagnosed almost 17 years ago. The insulin pump was the best decision I ever made.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bojibridge
Just got my HbA1C results back - 6.4%! For those not in the know, that's basically a 3 month average of how my blood sugars have been. That's the best A1C I've ever had! Well since I was diagnosed almost 17 years ago. The insulin pump was the best decision I ever made.
Wow Joanna that is so amazing! What an inspiration.

Mern, sorry to hear that you have been working so hard and not making the progress you expected. I don't know anything about what it means but at least you are going down. That stuff about the nutritionist is just plain weird.

Hope, about DD, I am sorry to hear how it went. I certainly have had issues with my kids when they were that age as well. At 18, peers have way more influence than parents. But they do come around. You can be clear on your views and be a good role model. That's about it. She's an adult and can make her own choices (even though her brain won't mature for another 7 years). Of course, she doesn't want to hear it. None of us want to hear that we are not in control.

I haven't posted in a few days and this thread is overwhelmingly busy! Things are going well with me. Instead of take out pizza for our friday night treat we had homemade lobster wraps. Yum. And not nearly as expensive.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Quinn, what you say makes a lot of sense. I think she MAY be on the way there: the clothes that dont fit (they shrunk in the wash) the dressing room nightmares (all these clothes are for Barbies.) But she knows the truth even she says, "None of my friends said I gained weight. Only you." (meaning me) She knows; she's said it to me. I was just adding insult to injury I guess. I hope she realizes and WANTS to take better care of herself. Does this West Point guy have a nice friend? LOL.
Actually, there are about 4,000 more of them at WP! (Close to you! Lol) When she first arrived at college, a group of ROTC guys offered to carry all of our stuff to the top floor of the dorm where her room is. They have been best buddies ever since. He's not ROTC, but she met him through them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.