FitDay Member

Goals:

1) stretch every day: Yes, Yes, yes, yes
2) plan food (seems to be working): Yes, Yes, yes, yes
3) stay close to plan: Ummm, no Yes? ?
4) drink 6 glasses of water: 6, 7 IDK 7
5) keep track of water: Yes, yes No yes
6) meditate (it really helps): Yes, yes, yes, yes
7) practice Spanish at least a half hour a day if not more: Si, Nada quince minutos in the middle of the night
8) be professional: Yes, yes ish, got a "consultation" yes
9) Do not JAD, explain I think is OK (justify, argue, defend): Yes, yes no, argued; no argued My DD is furious at me becaude I told her that she is "on the road to obesity." Maybe not the best thing to say to an 18 year old but I have tried sparing her feelings and I am worried about her health. She knows how I feel and I know she feels bad but I wish she would DO something. She went to the gym once in th emonth she was here (when I went.) She complains about her back and arms being sore, complains about her big belly, then eats so much sugar and junk. And with our family history... I'm afraid. So she's going back to school Sat but she's furious, says she won't come back, etc. etc. I keep thinking about Mike's thread about excuses... I know it's hard. But am I supposed to watch my DD kill herself with food and say nothing?
10) Light exercise 3x min this week without doing anything to further upset my back or knees: NO, NO, NO, NO may have to take this off my list because I got up from a chair, my knee gave out and I fell down, my knee replacement has been moving to a very painful place and now I need to go to the doctor for that. But I will try upper body stuff

Gained weight, feel discouraged. Sorry for the buzzkill. But I am still determined to be professional (write) meditate and try to eat well, if it kills (or hopefully saves) me.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

eggs whites and ham - egg whites and chicken sausagechicken breast and salad - chicken, broccoli, spinach and onions in sf ff sauce
chicken thighs and veg - fish fajitas ( alot)
nuts
fruit - apple?
lox or sardines
Vitamuffin or 94% ff popcorn
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

egg whites and chicken sausage
tuna and salad
chicken thighs and veg
nuts
fruit
ham and cheese or lox

Gotta go back to logging
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, I'm glad you posted about the argument with your daughter. We parents certainly don't have all the answers, but I must say that in my 36 years of parenting I can say in all honesty that the best any of us can do is to make the best decisions and actions according to the information we have at the time. And that's what you did in the obesity discussion with your daughter. I remember how I hated it when my Mom told me something for my own good--things that needed to be said and there was no other way to do it except to "tell it like it is" because she knew I was living in denial and headed down a path of self-destruction. It was hard to hear at the time, but eventually I came to accept that she was right and that I was the only one who could change my life to make it better. If the subject comes up again, just continue to reassure her that you said what you did, not to hurt her feelings, but because you love her and have her best interest at heart--for her to live a long, happy and healthy life. Huge Mom hugs to ya!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Gained weight, feel discouraged. Sorry for the buzzkill. But I am still determined to be professional (write) meditate and try to eat well, if it kills (or hopefully saves) me.
I hear ya, Hope. I, too, am so discouraged, trying my hardest and getting nowhere on a personal issue with a family member who is in a self-destruct mode and not accepting sound advice--not health, but serious personal and financial issues of that person. I'm also discouraged about honestly doing my personal best on food goals, water, and exercise, and doctor's recommendations, and having stalled out on weight loss again after only a 2 1/2 lb. net loss two weeks after my restart. I usually lose about 6-7 lbs. on a restart.

I don't know what else to do except to keep on keeping on, so that's what I'll do until I get whopped upside the head with new inspirations that are wise and that work. Hang in there, kiddo--you and I can and will succeed.

Your daily reports and food look great. I have a pork shoulder in the crockpot to make low carb shredded pork BBQ. I'll just have to be careful to watch my portion sizes to stay within my dietary cholesterol and sat fat targets, but I can do it.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: flaxmeal muffin and protein shake
Lunch: broccoli egg substitute omelet
Snack another protein shake
Dinner: low carb pork BBQ on a low carb tortilla, coleslaw made with ranch dressing instead of mayo
Evening snack--don't know, but I'll make it fit in my targets.

Going to a birthday party Sunday for our one year old great-granddaughter from DH's first marriage. They're just having snacks and cupcakes, so even though I wasn't asked to contribute a dish, I'm going to take some kind of low carb snack to share so I know there will be something I can eat. I usually don't buy protein bars, but I'll buy a low carb bar to shove in my purse to keep me from eating a cupcake.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Good Morning All!

I have had a really great first week being back on track and the scale has been really rewarding, as well. Pulled out a pair of black, skinny cords that I loved to wear with some boots last winter and they fit great... Yea! It's amazing at what just 5 lbs. can do. BUT, now is the weekend, where I always fall on my face. I have to find a way to stay on track with hubby always wanting to indulge in one food or another. Ugh. Daughter will be going back tomorrow, which will allow me more time to do walking and other things that should help.

Hope,
Sorry to hear about all the things that are going on right now. As you know, my daughter is about the same age, so I know what it can be like at times. We try to walk a fine line between "being mom" and letting them adventure into full adulthood... Sometimes seamlessly and sometimes with a thud. Sometimes, I think the best we can to with young adults, is to lead by example and eventually, they seem to follow. I wanted to clean up my daughter's eating and was unsuccessful. It was only after she started dated a guy that attended West Point last year that she suddenly "found" exercise, proper eating and training... Go figure. Be patient. When she has had enough of clothes that don't fit, dressing room nightmares, etc., like all of us, she'll come around. Think of it like trying to talk an alcoholic into giving up drinking if they don't want to. Eventually, she'll come to the right conclusion... It just takes time.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, while I am not a parent I can remember my parents forcing me to go to Weight Watchers. It didn't work and I would stop at the variety store and buy a bag of chips out of spite (yeah, I know!). She has to want to do it for herself.

Mern, I hear ya on being discouraged. I wish I had a follow-up appointment sooner with dietician at Diabetes Centre. Although they aren't any help in developing a meal plan that is low protein! If I try to eat too low carb I'm hungry in between meals.

Jenn
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

Jenn, seems like you and I just don't fit the mold when it comes to dietitians. I couldn't get any help from the dietitian with speeding up my metobolism with foods or food combinations. Even though I told her I control my blood sugar, keeping it normal through diet alone, she wanted me to eat high carb enough to send me into full blown diabetes and then accept a prescription for insulin because she thinks my slow metabolism is self-inflicted due to not eating enough calories and carbs. I've decided I'd rather be fat and have normal blood sugar than follow her advice.... I'll find a way to lose this weight one way or another and it won't be to the benefit of the pharmaceutical company for whom she works. I've come to the conclusion she's not educated enough to help me--thinks there's only one way to do things--her way or no way.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

Fun facts to know and tell: There are significantly more calories in Starbucks whipped cream than there are in your average pressure can you buy in the store. Leaving the whipped cream off your drink saves you 70 calories. So, I love Starbucks mochas, but they're 270 calories. Leave off the whipped cream and only get 2 pumps of the chocolate (there're usually 3 pumps), and your awesome mocha is now only 175 calories. Of course you can always go nonfat, but I just don't like nonfat, not if I'm looking for the indulgence.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

That sucks about ya'lls dietitians. I had a nutritionist back in IL, when I was first trying to wrangle my diabetes into control, who was extremely helpful. I think she ended up being the most helpful person on my team - part nutritionist, part therapist. She worked with what I felt I could commit to, and push a little bit farther. But I also wasn't trying to do anything complicated, simply just eat more vegetables

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.