Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

I figured the title of this thread would probably get your attention and maybe ruffle some feathers. If it did, then good, that was the point.

First off, a little about me. I'm a 38 year old dad, I gained the typical pound or two a year and it slowly started to add up. Then I went from an active job to a desk job, but didn't change my eating habits and guess what??? I got fat! It wasn't until I quit making excuses and realized that I was the problem, that's right, me... I was the reason why I was fat, that I could make a change. My job changed and I didn't. I finally put my excuses aside and started eating better, took the stairs instead of the elevator, started walking, drank only water... a lot of water. Before I knew it, the weight started to fall off. "How fast?" you may ask, how about my first 20 pounds took all of 42 days! So lets set this straight, it took FAR LESS time to take it off than it did to put it on, once I dropped the excuses.

I'm not going to bore you with statistics, nor do I have the time for them. This is from my heart, not something that I copy and pasted! Being fat will likely decrease your life span and the time you do have alive will not be as enjoyable as it could have been. You'll probably spend more time on your sofa or favorite chair than you will outside enjoying good weather.

So let me ask you this... have you made the commitment to truly change yourself, for YOURSELF or are you making excuses?

People know that for alcoholics & drug addicts to recover, the first step is to admit that there is a problem... not to make excuses. So why do we make so many excuses yet expect to change? Here's are some common excuses that fat people (yes I said the "F" word again) make.

1) "I can't afford to eat healthy." - Can you afford to be unhealthy? Can you afford to have a double bypass? Can you afford to leave your children early?

2) "I can't afford a gym membership." - Get off your ass and walk, it's free! Quit waiting for that parking spot b/c it's closer to the door of Wal Mart, walk dammit!

3) "I don't have the time, I have a family to take care of." - Get off your ass and go play with your kids. Take them to the park and do something with them, don't just sit there. Turn off American Idol or Survivor and go walk.

4) "It's in my genes, I come from a big family." - This may be true, it's in you JEANS b/c you came from a lazy family that had poor eating habits. Now it's your turn to break the cycle for your family!

5) "It's my thyroid..." - Really, did your doctor say this? If so what are you and your doctor doing to correct this? Are you still doing the things that I suggested for #2 & #3?

6) "I'm alone in this, I hate cooking big meals and I don't have anyone to exercise with." - blah, blah, blah. You are responsible for keeping yourself in shape so why avoid exercising b/c you don't have a partner? Do it FOR YOURSELF, even if it is BY YOURSELF! Cook a big healthy meal and package it up for future use. This will also save you time, more time to go for a walk.

7) "I have big bones." - Since when did big bones help add a double chin, or arms that keep waving after you've stopped?

The list of excuses can go on and on. If what I'm saying offends you, then you may be hanging on to your excuse. It's time to wake up people and realize that we are the problem, quit blaming others and making excuses.

Once you get to where you want to be, you'll be glad you did!

Like I said, I was fat. But it didn't take me that long to get where I am today. I feel great and my overall health is much better!

............................EXCUSES \/.................................................. .................................................. .........................................NO EXCUSES \/.............

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-28-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

My scale is not moving nearly as fast as yours did (jealous!) but it is moving just the same. Maybe it's cause I'm female and you're male, but whatev. The point is, I've made changes and they're making a difference. Not just on the scale either, I have more energy and I actually WANT to go out and chase the kids. And you're right, dump the excuses. It is a lifestyle change, NOT a diet. Your post may be blunt and to the point, and to some maybe even rude...but....it will get attention. Hope it helps somebody.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
My scale is not moving nearly as fast as yours did (jealous!) but it is moving just the same. Maybe it's cause I'm female and you're male, but whatev. The point is, I've made changes and they're making a difference. Not just on the scale either, I have more energy and I actually WANT to go out and chase the kids. And you're right, dump the excuses. It is a lifestyle change, NOT a diet. Your post may be blunt and to the point, and to some maybe even rude...but....it will get attention. Hope it helps somebody.
thanks. The one thing that I've learned is that you really can't compare yourself to anyone else. Especially from male to female. It's my understanding that males do lose weight faster, but you are on the right track and THAT is what counts. I guess I shouldn't have made the reference to it taking 42 days to lose 20 pounds. I was just trying to emphasize that I will come off quicker than it went on, and I'm sure you can attest to that. Great job, and keep it up girl!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-28-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Brutally honest, but what you say is so true. I could not agree more. I have been very guilty of making excuses myself for what seems like forever. A person has to decide to stop making excuses and start making those necessary changes to turn things around in their life. Eating right, moving more. Both of which are possible for anyone no matter what their situation. Have to just make it a priority. There are no excuses! (I still have to keep reminding myself of that all the time..!)

Lizzy, I hear you, once you start feeling better you actually feel like getting out and moving more because you have more energy, and the momentum builds.

Congrats Mike on your success, very inspiring!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

thanks Shell250! I'm glad my advice thus far was well received. I think the ones (like you and Lizzy) that are making the changes and dumping the excuse will take it as good advice. I have a feeling that the ones that don't like what I'm saying b/c they are taking it "personal"... should be taking it personal.

Thanks again.
Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with what you said...Im going to add one more thing. Someone told me awhile ago...*your only cheating yourself*. You can make that work for eating or exercising.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

No offense taken, straight and to the point...I like it

Good pictures by the way

I have used 1 and 2 and part of 3 several times over the past several years and watched my weight creep up and up.

And with help from my wife to keep me focused, not letting crap food and soda/beer into the house, and making sure I get out and walk daily I have dropped the first 17 of my goal 50 pounds in the last 2 months.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

I like his bluntness. I've seen some of your posts before and I quite prefer the brutal honesty of your posts, and not something of a sugar coated truth...not as much of an impact. Great post.
Great pictures also, a much bigger difference. I have been going at this longer than 42 days...and not lost even 15 pounds yet (more like 10) but whatever. Lucky you, eh
Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pattialbert
I agree with what you said...Im going to add one more thing. Someone told me awhile ago...*your only cheating yourself*. You can make that work for eating or exercising.
IMO every now and then it's good to cheat. But we have to stay focus on our own goals. I say that all the time. We are all worth not being cheated by ourselves!

Originally Posted by toofarwest
No offense taken, straight and to the point...I like it

Good pictures by the way

I have used 1 and 2 and part of 3 several times over the past several years and watched my weight creep up and up.

And with help from my wife to keep me focused, not letting crap food and soda/beer into the house, and making sure I get out and walk daily I have dropped the first 17 of my goal 50 pounds in the last 2 months.
I've used many of those excuses myself, that's why I was the way I was. Having the support of your wife will truly help with your success. 17 pounds in 2 months is nothing to sneeze at, great job man!

Originally Posted by DeathArrow
I like his bluntness. I've seen some of your posts before and I quite prefer the brutal honesty of your posts, and not something of a sugar coated truth...not as much of an impact. Great post.
Great pictures also, a much bigger difference. I have been going at this longer than 42 days...and not lost even 15 pounds yet (more like 10) but whatever. Lucky you, eh
Thanks DA, I believe in shooting from the hip, sometimes I'm more tactful than others. Either way I try to get my point across but sooner or later someone will be offended with something I say, it's just human nature LOL. 15 pounds is great! You should be proud!! What's your goal? BTW the time span between the pic on the left and right in my 1st post was about 6 months and about 35 pounds. So as you can see the first 20 came off much faster than the next 15. That's just how it goes. When I first decided to get in shape (last August) I took my fat pic. That was tough to do and I didn't realize how fat I really was until I saw that. I don't know about you or anyone else but I think I walked around slightly sucking in my gut all the time. So standing in front of the camera with no shirt... relaxed was a rude awakening. The crazy thing was I found an older picture and looking at my face I was probably a good (or bad) 10 pounds heavier then.

For anyone reading this and serious about losing weight. I CAN NOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR PROGRESS, NO MATTER HOW PAINFUL IT MAY BE!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-28-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

What an awesome post! I'm guilty of all of the above excuses plus some extras. I used #3 in many variations for years. Weight gain was how I found out that I had thyroid cancer...fair enough of an excuse/reason, right? I had sort of figured that once the cancer was under control the weight would fall back off as fast as it had piled on (nearly a 100 pound gain in less than a year!) Well, no such luck. It doesn't work that way. What a slap in the face it was when I finally asked my doctor, "What's the deal? Why isn't the weight coming off? Do we need to switch my meds around? Imagine my shock and dismay when my doctor lovingly placed his hands on my shoulders...looked me in the eyes...and said, "Naomi, you're still fat because you eat too much and don't get enough exercise."

Bummer...no magic pill for me. Talk about telling it like it is!

No more excuses...It's a struggle, but I'm winning the battle...one step at a time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.