Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

I keep coming back to this post and thread. Maybe I just like the virtual slap it gives me.

Was reading another thread over on the Women's Corner and the OP was talking about hard work versus taking the easy way out, and it started me thinking about the fact that our default, by and large, as a society, is to look for the easy ways out. Parking close, having machines do our work, taking elevators, grabbing prepackaged foods. I can't stand that mentality in work and other areas, so there's no reason to put up with it with respect to doing what I need to do to be healthy. Making the effort makes the difference. Pushing through the strain of an exercise routine makes a difference. Saying no when you want to say yes to a snack makes a difference. But those all require a lot more work than giving in.

Right now I am at the realization that the work doesn't end, either. I hit my goal weight 2 weeks ago. I am still working just as hard to maintain, and there's still no room for excuses. I had to set new goals...not weight, but exercise performance, body fat reduction...it's still work. It sucks that I can't say, well, I did it, I can go back to the way I used to be, but that's why I'm still here, still logging everything, still being accountable. What is it the 12-steppers say? It only works if you work it? The word work probably isn't an accident.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

you are correct, the word work is there for a reason. People tell me that it's too hard to workout (for whatever reason). I tell them that if it weren't work it wouldn't be called a WORKout.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a newbie so should probably shut up but I need to express a minority view. Had you just told us about the excuses and the like I might have accepted your post at face value. But your post as a whole feels to me like you're telling me how much better you are than I am. I'm not competitive and find your post more of a put down than encouragement.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Sashikra
I'm a newbie so should probably shut up but I need to express a minority view. Had you just told us about the excuses and the like I might have accepted your post at face value. But your post as a whole feels to me like you're telling me how much better you are than I am. I'm not competitive and find your post more of a put down than encouragement.
Sashikra...It wasn't my post, but I'm sorry that you feel that way. Maybe, just maybe, it's time to do a little soul searching though. Why do you feel put down instead of encouraged or challenged? We all have our own battles to fight and it's certainly important to be kind and supportive to each other....but...sometimes, we all need a cold hard slap in the face of reality. I know I do...constantly! It's a sad, sad, sad state of society these days that everyone is constantly looking outside themselves and putting the blame on others instead of taking personal responsibility for their lot in life. America is the land of "opportunity" not the land of sit on your bootie and everything will be handed to you on a silver platter.

Here's just a tiny list of some of the excuses that have run through MY head in the past:

"I'm only fat because my husband brings home pizza. I'm only fat because McDonalds won't stop bombarding me with ads for french fries. I'm only fat because Starbucks puts whipped cream on my quad mocha frappachino. I'm only fat because my knees hurt. I'm only fat because I had thyroid cancer. I'm only fat because I gained a lot of weight when my kids were born (16 years ago). I'm only fat because I'm too tired to work out in the morning. I'm only fat because I'm too tired to work out after work at night. I'm only fat because I can't miss the Biggest Loser and I can't hear the tv over the sound of the treadmill."

I could go on and on and on.

Take your pick. We can choose to use the excuses to keep being fat and unhealthy....OR we can start using reasons to change our mindsets and therefore our behaviors and then change our LIVES!!

Don't take it as an insult. Don't take it as a "put down." Take it as a challenge to make your life better.

Best wishes and happy travels, Naomi
Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

My excuse for the past 2 years: "I just had a baby"... 2 YEARS ago. Before that it was "Why bother losing the baby weight? I'll just gain it all back with the next one". I come here and post often because pretty much the only social network I have is the girls at work, 2 of them are obese, 1 is desperate to fit into a bridesmaid dress that was not designed with a 30 year old "big girl" in mind, the other one looks like she'll burst her scrubs if she bends over too fast. Both of them eat fast food, diet drinks by the gallon, one brings cookies to work all the time and one finds excuses why she doesn't have time for anything other than calzones or the junk from the ice cream place next door. Quite frankly, I think I annoy them both when I talk about how much weight I've lost. I used to be an enabler to the first one, splitting the junk from the ice cream place neither of us really needed last summer. Not this year, I've worked too hard. I may allow myself an occasional frozen yogurt, but so far I don't want it. The chili cheese tater tots just aren't worth going back to not fitting into drawstring waist scrubs. I also realize the difference between weight loss and maintenance will probably come down to having milk with dinner and peanut butter on my apples and celery. If I go back to the way I ate before, I'm gonna weigh what I did before. There's no way around it, if you want the results you're gonna have to do the work. It may take me 2 years but I WILL get back to a healthy weight and I WILL stay there.

I'll add this too: If you can't do it on your own, if something physical or mental is blocking you from getting started: SEEK HELP. Accepting you need help is a sign of strength, not weakness. I have bad arthritis. Many doctors and medications later, I'm on Celebrex twice a day. I'm 35. It's hard to accept that yes I really do need the drugs. I still have bad days, like yesterday, where I eat crap and self-medicate with alcohol because I'm in pain and I don't have a better way to cope. But I have more good days than bad now, and I will not allow my medical condition to define me, stop me or hold me back.

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 03-29-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default You Nailed It

[QUOTE=01gt4.6;6995]

6) "I'm alone in this, I hate cooking big meals and I don't have anyone to exercise with." - blah, blah, blah. You are responsible for keeping yourself in shape so why avoid exercising b/c you don't have a partner? Do it FOR YOURSELF, even if it is BY YOURSELF! Cook a big healthy meal and package it up for future use. This will also save you time, more time to go for a walk.

7) "I have big bones." - Since when did big bones help add a double chin, or arms that keep waving after you've stopped?

Yes sir, "Dr. Phil," I love it!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sashikra
you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I appreciate it. It takes a lot guts to go against the grain, which you did. With that being said... my intent was to get attention and maybe ruffle some feathers, which I have now done.
I'll shoot from the hip here (as I usually do), and I'd like to you to be honest with yourself and reply to these questions. Why did you take it that I was saying that I am better than you? Was it b/c I shared my success story and my pictures? If so, would you rather someone try to give you advice that hasn't "been there, done that"? I would have been a hypocrate if I were to say that you (or anyone for that matter) needs to quit making excuse and accept the blame (when it applies) if I hadn't did just that myself. I clearly stated that I was FAT, and I was FAT because I WAS THE PROBLEM. The point at which I knew that I was the problem was the point at which I was honest with myself and got out of denial. It wasn't until then that I could make the change.
Like I said you can't please everone, that's just the nature of the beast I guess. Thanks for your reply, I look forward to your responses.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

For the longest time I kept telling myself I wasn't fat, even though the sizes on the clothing tags kept going up. Sure I knew I was packing on a few pounds but I quit smoking and Hey, I felt entitled (stupid I know). It didn't really hit me just HOW fat I was until I picked up some photos that I got developed at Walgreens. I was quickly sifting through them and found one I didn't recognize (being that I am the camera person). At first glance I was like who is this fat woman sitting at my table...after looking closer at the picture, to my horror, it was me!!! What a reality check.

I quit smoking nearly 7 years ago - when I weighed 139 pounds. I now weight around 180 (don't weigh in until friday) and while slipping back into my lazy rut for awhile, I have been back at the exercising for a week now (why is the longest I've done it consecutively in YEARS). So over the course of the past 6.5 years I've packed on over 40 pounds...disgusting! I never had excuses because I lived in denial that I was fat.

Great thread!

Last edited by finallyfree73; 03-29-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

FF73, I've never smoked but from what I hear, that's a common issue when someone quits. I think it's the thing of needing something in your mouth so often. I have a friend that quit and he was like that so he started sucking on hard candies, needless to say the candy hasn't help him any for sure.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I appreciate it. It takes a lot guts to go against the grain, which you did. With that being said... my intent was to get attention and maybe ruffle some feathers, which I have now done.
I'll shoot from the hip here (as I usually do), and I'd like to you to be honest with yourself and reply to these questions. Why did you take it that I was saying that I am better than you? Was it b/c I shared my success story and my pictures? If so, would you rather someone try to give you advice that hasn't "been there, done that"? I would have been a hypocrate if I were to say that you (or anyone for that matter) needs to quit making excuse and accept the blame (when it applies) if I hadn't did just that myself. I clearly stated that I was FAT, and I was FAT because I WAS THE PROBLEM. The point at which I knew that I was the problem was the point at which I was honest with myself and got out of denial. It wasn't until then that I could make the change.
Like I said you can't please everone, that's just the nature of the beast I guess. Thanks for your reply, I look forward to your responses.

01gt4.6 your original post is spot on.

Human nature is selfish. We like things our way, with minimal effort, and no mental anguish. Each day -- in all areas of life -- we battle to overcome these selfish desires. We would rather hear that things are not our fault; be coddled, and magically believe things will be alright if we ignore the issue.

Sometimes the pit we dig ourselves into is too large and formitable. The secret is one step at a time. Excuses stop the step forward in whatever area we are trying to improve.

From a pragmatic point of view: if a problem is caused by us or not -- we are responsible for getting out of the pit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.