Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
FitDay Member

LOVE THIS POST! So blunt and brutal.

I'm a fattie because while I love the idea of body beautiful, I LOVE food more.
Especially those dreaded carbs...

However, after stepping on my scales a couple of months ago and discovering they don't weigh that high I decided to make a change for the better.
Six gruelling weeks in the gym later and I am 27lbs lighter, 11 inches smaller, and a million times happier. Still a loooong way to go, but there is no way I'm going back to that slob who would rather sit on her backside with a tub of ice cream than sweating it in the gym.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
FitDay Member

Default Well done

Keep going. Im encouraged by your determination. Keep it up and let us know how you get on.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Maybe you need to find a new doctor? Seriously, because if your thyroid is regulated by meds it is not an excuse. Once your thyroid is regulated you CAN lose the weight if you want to, by eating healthy and getting active. And when you do that you will see your energy levels increase.

People get fat for different reasons but everyone who wants to lose the fat needs to do the same thing. Eat healthy and Get active.

It is not easy but anyone can do it once they stop making excuses and make the choice to start living healthy.

Congrats on the quitting smoking and good luck on losing the weight.
I have one of the best endocrinologist available. My point is - yes, weight loss can be done even with thyroid condition but it's much harder - not as easy as the OP describes! I did it once, kept the weight off for 6 years, then quit smoking and now I am doing it again (nevertheless - even with the best doc and balanced prescription it's give and take w/symtoms...not to get overmedicated, it's not a magical pill that solves all symptoms, trust me - I got to try many of them and the one I am on for last 7 years, cytomel, works the best for me)
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by anad64
I have one of the best endocrinologist available. My point is - yes, weight loss can be done even with thyroid condition but it's much harder - not as easy as the OP describes! I did it once, kept the weight off for 6 years, then quit smoking and now I am doing it again (nevertheless - even with the best doc and balanced prescription it's give and take w/symtoms...not to get overmedicated, it's not a magical pill that solves all symptoms, trust me - I got to try many of them and the one I am on for last 7 years, cytomel, works the best for me)
I never said that it's "easy", but it is much harder when people hang on to their excuses. I did say that it will take much less time to take the weight off than it did to put on, is that not true?
You said it yourself, you lost the weight even with a thyroid condition, enforcing what I said. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, when you quit smoking you put the weight back on. If this is correct what does that have to do with your thyroid?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
75 pounds in 90 days??? How active are you, or did I miss that part? A "diet" is something that you'll come off of, it NEEDS to be a lifestyle as vabeachgirlNYC stated.

I know that amount seems shocking to most people, but I also gained around 100 lbs in about 4 months... Not a thyroid problem or pregnancies either... I had quit smoking and had a lifestyle change... and gained it all rather quickly.
After that, the pounds kept adding up.. I'd try to lose... and succeed at losing 10-20 lbs, then something would happen and I'd quit and gain it back PLUS some.
Now I am finally on the the right track, frame of mind, and no excuses
My first 3 weeks (21 days), I lost 23 pounds.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

I have to agree with anad64.

Due to health issues, including thyroid - some people will take longer to shed the lbs. Just because your mind tells you, you want to lose weight, your body doesn't always agree - example of that is in even healthy people - called plateau's. Your body sometimes does its own thing.

I am not saying it's not impossible to lose weight - it's very possible, but everyone is different.

FYI - No, I don't have a thyroid problem or any other health concern that would stop me from losing weight. I'm just saying, yes, 95% of people are just overweight because of themselves. The other 5%, we have to give some slack.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I never said that it's "easy", but it is much harder when people hang on to their excuses. I did say that it will take much less time to take the weight off than it did to put on, is that not true?
You said it yourself, you lost the weight even with a thyroid condition, enforcing what I said. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, when you quit smoking you put the weight back on. If this is correct what does that have to do with your thyroid?
I'm not here to do a dance with words nor to argue. All I will add to my previous post is 1) it DOES take longer to lose weight for me than put it on; 2) even on right medication I have much harder time to lose weight yet easier time to gain weight (yes, I put weight on because I quit smoking, yet the challenge I was talking about is to take if off because of my body chemistry is making it harder. That's a fact, not an excuse. Enough said.)

...15 pounds to my optimal and desired wght

Last edited by anad64; 08-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by anad64
What makes it harder? If your thyroid is regulated by medication then you lose weight just like anyone else by adopting a healthy and active lifestyle. If you are still having "thyroid symptoms" then you need to find another doctor to figure out why.

You can blame untreated/undiagnosed hypothyroidism for your weight gain but once it is regulated with meds, you have to lose the weight just like you overate to get fat.

And I am curious, you gained weight just because you quit smoking?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aarany
I have to agree with anad64.

Due to health issues, including thyroid - some people will take longer to shed the lbs. Just because your mind tells you, you want to lose weight, your body doesn't always agree - example of that is in even healthy people - called plateau's. Your body sometimes does its own thing.

Um, no. You can gain weight from it but once regulated by meds you can lose the weight just like anyone else.

I am not saying it's not impossible to lose weight - it's very possible, but everyone is different.

I didn't see anyone here say everyone was the same and would lose weight at the same rate.

FYI - No, I don't have a thyroid problem or any other health concern that would stop me from losing weight. I'm just saying, yes, 95% of people are just overweight because of themselves. The other 5%, we have to give some slack.

Haha...What?
I think the OP's thread hit a sore spot with some of you that are still hanging on to excuses.

I thought it was well written and motivational. I vote that it should become a sticky in this forum!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default anyone who has a bit of diffrent view, opinion

.. makes not sense to even try post it here....

yeah, all the OP said is written in stone, the weight loss is matter of black or white and you guys figured it all out as 1.2.3.

congrats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.