Notices

Motivation and Support - 7/11 - 7/17

Old 07-12-2016, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivation and Support - 7/11 - 7/17

I thought that I could do this by myself and quickly got into old habits which were detrimental to my progress. I am back here for support and advice on
accomplishing my goal of losing weight and regaining my health. I have high cholesteral and would like to change my diet so that I don't have to start taking meds. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

I guess ours is a typical story.
My husband had high cholesterol a few years ago (mine was kinda borderline, too). We THOUGHT we were eating healthy - seeking out deceitful buzz words like high fiber, low-fat, enriched with vitamins...
There were other factors involved, but long story short - we went completely plant-based. Only organic vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds and home baked sourdough bread (and a bit of organic red wine).
Nothing from a box. Nothing that has "ingredients". Nothing that we have not cooked ourselves. The only enhancements are garlic and herbs. No dressings from a bottle, seasoning from a packet etc. Kind of what Dr. Furhman promotes, only stricter - he allows things like vanilla flavorings, and we don't.
Socializing got harder. Our tastes changed so much, I can't even walk into a mall now, because I can't stand the smell of fast food.
This is not for everybody, but I am pretty sure results are guaranteed. His cholesterol is 187. We have not taken a single pill for anything in over two years.
If you are serious, things are not going to be easy at first. I don't believe in "everything in moderation"because your taste buds never get a chance to adapt to new ways.You keep craving what you are used to. So you can't go back, ever. But then, if you persist, make it a hobby, then make it a way of life - EVERYTHING changes. You want to make more changes. Avoiding plastics? Composting? Becoming an environmental activist? This is how the path unfolded for us.
Hope I did not overwhelm you Good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

My doctor thinks that I will always have bad cholesterol and I hope to prove him wrong. Do you grow your own food or buy organic? I have cut down on my meat intake but still love the taste of steak and chicken. I cook for three men, one large one medium and one very slim and all meat eaters. I got fat because my portion sizes matched theirs. Now I eat less than half of what they do. I would like to lose about 40 pounds and get my health back.
Can you tell me what you eat on a typical day? I know that I have to change my lifestyle if I am going to get better. Thank you for writing.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

i hear you - it is so much easier when everybody is on the same page and eating the same thing. My husband was easy - a few You Tube clips from slaughterhouses, and meat was out of the picture anyway. It just seemed to be the obvious way for us, but everybody is different.
We bought two shares from an organic CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) - you sign up in January, and get a huge box of vegetables every week. You have no choice of what you get, but we easily make it work. A share is meant for 2-4 people, so we really have to work hard to eat though all those vegetables! I does not leave room for anything else, lol. We make stews, soups, bread spreads, and salads basically for every meal - yes, breakfast too. But again - it only works if everybody is happy eating like that. I can easily see three guys thinking you are crazy even suggesting that.
I am not saying it is the only way, but we are hermits anyway so are not influenced much by what other people eat, and I believe this menu is what keeps ALL the items on a blood test within the healthy range for me at 56.
Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever plan you choose will work for you (and the large guy in your life)!
Old 07-17-2016, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Peek-a-boo!!

Things certainly seem quiet in here!
It's time to start again! <sigh>
Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome back Bea. The more the merrier. Join us in the Monday or Friday weigh-in or both. I will keep this thread going till we get more people and then we can go back to a weekly thread. We are a small group but we can do great things.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Morning Libby!!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

Kocia, would you please post one recipe a week that I can adopt as a meatless Wednesday meal for my family. If I could cook something flavorful and filling they might not object too much and it would help me to.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

wow so many "old" faces here. Where's the new thread?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
wow so many "old" faces here. Where's the new thread?
Surely, "Old" wasn't what you meant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.