Motivation and Support - 2/22 to 2/29

Community
Notices

Motivation and Support - 2/22 to 2/29

Old 02-24-2016, 07:08 PM
FitDay Member

Debbie, that was a very good message!

Libby, stay warm and safe.

The bold button isn't working. *heavy sigh*. It's always something, isn't it?

I've been awfully sick. I was fine one minute and literally the next minute I couldn't stop coughing. Not just a little cough. It's a deep, dry, loud, growling cough. Sara went to the dr. and has a bit of bronchitis so she's on meds. The dr told her to take over-the-counter delsym for her cough, so that's what I've been taking too. It's been helping a lot. I have no congestion or anything like that...it's weird. I slept for the better part of about 14 hours last night and yesterday. Now it's 1am and I'm awake. hopefully in the next day or two I'll be feeling back to normal. On the good side of being sick and not feeling like eating, my weight is down a little bit lol. Hey, I'll take it any way it comes!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:36 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa - Sorry to hear you're down with a cold!! There are some crazy virus's going around. Hope you are on the mend quickly! Glad to hear it's somehow working in your favour and the scale is down. When I was sick, the scale actually went up. Not sure if it was water retention or what....I'm so sensitive to it! As for the bold not working, neither are the smilies. You can bold it yourself by putting square brackets around a b before your text and a /b with square brackets at the end of your text. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

Libby - We got freezing rain yesterday in the capital as well. Luckily we didn't get nearly as much as they were calling for. Hope your yo-yoing scale is down tomorrow for Friday weigh in. I must have the same scale as you

Vicki - Great attitude on the .8 lbs. loss. A loss is a loss and also a success!! Congratulations on all the success you have achieved!

Quinn - You are sooooooo very close to your maintenance goal!! Wow!! 11 lbs. in 6 weeks is unbelievable!! Way to go!!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Good afternoon, Fitday Friends!

Glad to see everyone made it through unscathed. I worried that the forums were gone forever!

Thanks so much for the support and understanding, folks. It was a tough decision to make and a tough post to make (I didn't want it to come off as drama, because it really isn't), but I think it's the right one for me. It's sort of like how some people need to weigh every day (yes, that's me) and for others, seeing those daily fluctuations is detrimental.

When I took that hiatus last year, I posted very infrequently. The mistake I made was that I slowed down on everything. I stopped weighing daily. I stopped logging (bad move). I became extraordinarily lenient on what constituted "sticking to my program". A bag (or three) of Peanut M&Ms? Sure, I can handle it! Chinese food three times in one week (oh, the sodium!!!)? No problem! Big Bacon Burger and fries? Why not? Of course, it wasn't all day, every day, every week, but enough so that my weight crept up a bit.

This time, I'm going to continue the daily weighing (that seems to work best for me) and am going to continue monitoring intake and daily logging. Those two bits of self-accountability are important for me and, I think, will help me stay on the path. We'll see how it goes!

Now if I could just stop seeing ads for Nutrisystem/Weight Watchers/HydroxyCut... "I'm (name of celebrity) and I lost 9000 pounds with (name of miracle)!" Yeah, right. You and your army of personal chefs and nutritionists, make-up artists, stylists, personal trainers...

Anyway, on to the social:

Quinn: 11 pounds since January 11!!! Fantastic!!! You are an inspiration! I hear you on the taxes and year-end stuff. I'm mixed up in that now, too. My (physical) desk is awash in paperwork. I thought cluttering up the desktop would inspire me to work. Instead, I've just been pushing it all aside and working in the little clearing. Hmmm there's a dieting metaphor in there somewhere, haha...

Libby: Thank you for the kind comments. I love that phrase "Holy Hannah". Never heard it before. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it occasionally! Sorry to hear that the scale is yo-yoing. They tend to do that, don't they? Pesky bits of technology.

Lisa: Thank you, too, for the kind comments. Much appreciated. I hope you're feeling better soon. You're wise to get some extra sleep. It helps the body repair. I love how you're seeing a silver lining, though -- take it any way it comes (off!). Feel better soon, hon.

Debbie: I'm very thankful for your comments, too. Heh I didn't realize that you're a fast gainer (me too!!!). I eat one M&M (yes, they are one of my downfalls) and my body says, "Yeah, baby, I'm keeping that!" and stores it right on my butt.

To elaborate on Debbie's answer with regard to the Bold workaround, it works for other text enhancements as well. Do these WITHOUT THE SPACES and you should get the results you're looking for:
  • [ b ]Bold[ /b ] will show up as Bold.
  • [ i ]Italics[ /i ] will show up as Italics.
  • [ u ]Underline[ /u ] will show up as Underline.
  • [ color=red ]Red text[ /color ] will show up as Red text.
And, of course, for colors, you can substitute whatever color you want, blue, green, yellow and so forth. And you can combine effects, such as making a bold color.

There are workarounds for smilies and for making bullet lists, too. Let me know if you want me to show them.

Anyway, have a great rest of the week, folks! I hope the forum remains up and available for us!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

Epixi - Glad to see you posting Not sure you know my story....nearly 2 years ago, I was posting regularly here on fitday, logging, weighing daily and lots of exercise. I went from 143 lbs. to 118 lbs. in 8 months....so it wasn't fast, but I did it!! Then I injured my shoulder. I stopped working out and the scale started to creep up. I eventually stopped logging and weighing daily. Fast forward two years, I gained back all the weight +20 lbs.! The highest I weighed was 163 back in January. I've been flip flopping....trying one week, not trying the next. I'm just like you....I need to weigh in daily to stay accountable to myself. I also need to exercise daily or the scale won't move. The reason I'm dishing on all this is I just want you to see you aren't the only one who is struggling. I think we are all struggling to be honest. I hope you do stick around and keep posting. We all enjoy your positive energy! Also, one last thing...the only person you should be in competition with is you. We all have different bodies and metabolism....no use in comparing yourself to others. Look in the mirror....challenge that girl...she's your real competition! ....oh one more last thing, there's an app called Happy Scale. You enter your daily weigh in and it tracks it for you. It also highlights your best weigh in over the last 10 days and smooths out the fluctuations on a chart. I too find the fluctuations disheartening, but this app has helped some. If you have an iPad or smartphone you should check it out! It's free, so if you don't like it, nothing lost K, no I'm done!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

How is everyone? I'm super happy because I had a 2.4 lb loss this week. Being down with a cold and cough has its perks. lol Actually, I have eaten when hungry, and that's it. I'm trying sooooo hard to learn to listen to my body and not eat because I'm bored or even because I "have room in calorie count for the day for another snack" (which inevitably leads me to going over!) My calories have been under my goal quite a bit this past week, and a few days right on goal. I think I was way over one day if I remember right. So my lesson this week is that staying on target (or under if manageable) does actually work for me.

I've been taking Robitussin every 4 hours to try to keep my cough at ease. I've been coughing so much that all the muscles around my rib cage are aching from the strain. The Robitussin works for the 4 hours it's supposed to, but after that it comes right back. I was up for a couple hours last night with it until I finally got out of bed and took more. dh has been so good to me with taking the kids to school and picking them up. I'm really grateful for that. love that man o' mine!

Libby, I saw your note on maybe maintaining in the weigh-in thread. I decided to do that a couple weeks ago, and I've finally broken through and am having some progress again. Sometimes sitting back and maintaining for a while can help to take some of the pressure off and help you refocus. At least it did for me.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 AM
FitDay Member

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. My horrible cough seems to be getting better, thankfully!

I brought out an old goodie from my past arsenal...3-2-1 Cake in a Mug. You get a gallon ziplock bag and in it you mix one full box of Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix (or any chocolate you prefer), and 1 full box of angel food cake mix. Combine well. Then you spray a coffee mug with cooking spray. Mix in 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix, 2 Tablespoons of water and cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute. It comes out kind of spongy, but tastes great and it is a super little snack for just 132 calories. Granted, not much nutritional value, but it's an indulgence with portion control. That's the kind of treat I need...portion control!

I probably won't be on tomorrow. I'll be gone all day for a 3.5 hour trip each way to visit my son in prison for a few hours. I'm super excited to see him for the first time face to face in nearly a year. I'll actually get to give him a hug and hold his hand. It will be something special for the 3 of us (dh included).

Have a good weekend all. See you Monday for the challenge weigh-in!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:09 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa, the mug cake sounds a whole lot better than some of the stuff I have been eating lately. Starting tomorrow I will be on a much narrower path and hope to get some of this regained weight off before March 1st. A waist is a terrible thing to mind. Ha Ha.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

I'm home. It was exactly a 12 hour day. we left at 7:45 this morning, and walked in the door at 7:45 tonight. VERY long day!!!! Our visit with our son was really good. He looks healthy now that he's clean, and we shared some good laughs. It was a very good 4 hours with him.

On the not so good side, being gone for 12 hours meant food on the go. I had a danish this morning, 2 sodas at the prison, 1/2 a cheeseburger and fries at Wendy's (but it made me verrrry sick!!! ugh!), and a little hot fudge sundae from mcd's. All in all, I'm probably still near my calorie goal, but not the kind of food I should be eating on a regular basis. My weight is up a couple lbs today from friday, so it will be interesting to see where it's at tomorrow.

Libby, I like your "waist is a terrible thing to mind" line. lol
Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all No smiley face for me this morning. I did something to my neck/back/shoulder on the weekend and I think I'm dealing with a pinched nerve now. I'm off from work today and trying to book a massage and chiro appointment. I hope to be on the mend quickly!! Soooooo frustrating!

Lisa - how are you feeling? Is the cold on it's way out? So happy to hear you had a good visit with your son and that he looked well

Libby - good job getting back on track. It can be a slippery slope when we veer off our path, so good for you for getting right back on the right track!

Have a good, safe and healthy day all!