Notices

7 Day Motivation 2/1 - 2/7

Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by episode2011
Lisa, Mike, Quinn: Thanks! The loss has been soooooo gradual (over 12 years), it's hard to realize that it happened. I honestly don't remember my 2004 body. I mean, I know I HAD one, but I don't remember much of what it felt like living in it.

Mike: Do you find building a home fun? I absolutely adore the building process. Have only done it twice but I'd LOVE to do it again. Sadly, my checkbook refuses to cooperate. I'm going to have to research this King Cake. Aside from these forums, I've never heard of it. Obviously, it's De. Li. Cious.
Being able to keep losing over 12 years is great. Heck I wish I could have just kept mine off.

The build process is nice. It's kinda stressful because I'm trying to handle as much of it as I can, so my wife doesn't have to deal/stress over it. Thankfully we have a good builder! I will have an office at my home so I'm having to get everything set up for that as well. Soon I'll have to mail out letters to all my clients stating that I've moved. Have to get new business cards, envelopes made up and my office has to pass a final inspection from my company. But internet is my issue. Nobody in my area offers unlimited internet. Everything is a data package, like a cell phone. The biggest package I could buy is 50 gig/month. I work 8 hours a day on a computer which is tied to a VPN, which means it is constantly streaming. Which kills data. I could possibly use all my data in a week or two and then be "unemployed" for the rest of the month. I may have to commute to my New Orleans office to conserve data. Seeing that I moved out to the country, that will probably be an hour and a half one way commute, which I was not planning on.

I will say it has been a learning process. I have learned a little about surveys, culverts, culvert data, drainage. Heck I've never even known how a septic tank worked (I think the PC term now is septic "system"). We've always had city sewage, well we have a septic tank now. The biggest thing I learned is that my definition of underbrush and an excavators definition is underbrush is not the same! I was standing that the property with the excavator before we did the dirt work. He looked out back by the lake and was talking about the view. I mentioned I'd like to clear out some of the underbrush, so we could have a better view of the water between the trees. He said he could have his guy do it for me for free, since he's be out the with the equipment anyway. When they started the dirt work, I went out to check the progress. I left and came back the next day and my heart drop when I saw they took out 20-30 trees!!!!!! My wife was really upset because the squirrels, rabbits and birds USED to hang out there, not any more. To top it off, he charged me $1000 to haul away all the trees. I figured since I paid him over $17,000 for the dirt work, he could have worked out a better deal than that. Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-03-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Being able to keep losing over 12 years is great. Heck I wish I could have just kept mine off.

The build process is nice. It's kinda stressful because I'm trying to handle as much of it as I can, so my wife doesn't have to deal/stress over it. Thankfully we have a good builder! I will have an office at my home so I'm having to get everything set up for that as well. Soon I'll have to mail out letters to all my clients stating that I've moved. Have to get new business cards, envelopes made up and my office has to pass a final inspection from my company. But internet is my issue. Nobody in my area offers unlimited internet. Everything is a data package, like a cell phone. The biggest package I could buy is 50 gig/month. I work 8 hours a day on a computer which is tied to a VPN, which means it is constantly streaming. Which kills data. I could possibly use all my data in a week or two and then be "unemployed" for the rest of the month. I may have to commute to my New Orleans office to conserve data. Seeing that I moved out to the country, that will probably be an hour and a half one way commute, which I was not planning on.

I will say it has been a learning process. I have learned a little about surveys, culverts, culvert data, drainage. Heck I've never even known how a septic tank worked (I think the PC term now is septic "system"). We've always had city sewage, well we have a septic tank now. The biggest thing I learned is that my definition of underbrush and an excavators definition is underbrush is not the same! I was standing that the property with the excavator before we did the dirt work. He looked out back by the lake and was talking about the view. I mentioned I'd like to clear out some of the underbrush, so we could have a better view of the water between the trees. He said he could have his guy do it for me for free, since he's be out the with the equipment anyway. When they started the dirt work, I went out to check the progress. I left and came back the next day and my heart drop when I saw they took out 20-30 trees!!!!!! My wife was really upset because the squirrels, rabbits and birds USED to hang out there, not any more. To top it off, he charged me $1000 to haul away all the trees. I figured since I paid him over $17,000 for the dirt work, he could have worked out a better deal than that. Oh well, live and learn.
I had the same problem. We built our home on a wooded lot, (...and paid for a wooded lot) and the builder wanted to cut down the majority of the hardwoods because I also wanted a circular drive. His argument was that unless he took out extra trees, the bigger trucks with the trusses and other things couldn't make it in. So, I literally "hugged trees" to keep him from cutting them down and made him a deal that if he left them, I would provide a chainsaw for him to cut the ones that were in the way for the trucks. The chainsaw never got used. =)

I did leave one tiny little oak outside of my kitchen window, though that I now regret. It's huge and awfully close to the house. I'll give him that one. That oak should have come out.

A few years later, we were hit my a tornado that took out about 22 oaks and maples, but we still have a lot to rake up after in the fall. =)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

Debbie, Lisa: I'm shocked! In my wildest imagination, I can't image having any sort of love for salad. I'm glad for you, though, that you love it. Makes it ever so much easier to include it in your plan, I'm sure! You both asked about prepping and storing batches, yes, that's pretty much what I do. But then I feel obligated to eat it for days on end until it's gone. As far as what I like? Lettuce (usually Romaine), spinach, maybe a firm plum tomato, mushrooms, scallions, sometimes some low-sodium beans, a little ranch/caesar/thousand island dressing... typical salad stuff. And bacon bits. Gotta have something fun in there. I must admit, though, if there were ever some sort of disturbance in the Force that forever banished salads, there'd be no tears shed on my part.

Libby: Glad to see you've had another good day!

Lisa: That chicken sounds yummy. I'll bet it smells good, too.

Mike: I had almost an identical situation with trees. I get the impression builders aren't very fond of trees! I love how he cut 'em for free but charged you to haul 'em out. Clever! Anyway, my tree loss was in the front. Virtually every tree on the front half of my wooded lot was ripped out because of... that darned septic system. It was also MY first experience with septic. Septic is a whole new kettle of fish, let me tell you. Hint: after you've been in the home for a while and they come to clean/pump the system, do yourself a favor and go inside. I was "curious" to see how the whole thing worked. I nearly passed out from the fumes (and I'm a pretty hardy gal). Your house sounds great, though (lake view -- wow!!!), and it sounds like you're really excited by how it's turning out. I hope you'll be able to get the internet situation squared away. A 90 minute commute would stink.

Quinn: Good for you for saving your trees. Even the oak. But but but, you had a tornado in Canada? I didn't know they could happen up there! Yikes!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
Debbie, I like your popcorn idea. We don't have an air popper though. I'll have to look into one for the future. That's such excellent news about your fat loss and muscle gain! You're really rockin on the exercise!!!
I don't have an air popper...I buy paper bags at Dollarama and measure out 40 grams of popcorn kernels, double roll the top and no need for oil or anything...just pop them in the microwave for 2:30 minutes. Perfect every time!!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

thanks debbie! I'll have to try that!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

I did it. I got up out of my chair, grabbed my daughter and the dog, and walked around the block. Maybe not a big deal to some, but I was starting to breathe heavy and my lower back was starting to ache. My core is so weak! It was a victory for me that I did it. Now I need to do the same thing tomorrow.

Sara was showing me the constellations (?) along the way...Orion's belt, big dipper, etc. She learned about it in her astronomy section in science I think last year.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa,
Congratulations on getting out there and getting it done! You can do this! After my back injury last March, I started by just walking to my mailbox and back. Then the next day a little further. Now, I'm walking 2-3 miles per day. If your back is sore, you're right... it's most likely your core, which was/is my issue. I always go back to what my MD told me, "Walking is the only exercise that builds all of the major muscle groups simultaneously." What a deal! =)

Epi,
I know some here are from Canada but I'm from Wisconsin, the great frozen tundra. =)

Personal Accountability Goal Sheet, Week 4

1. Eat clean; eliminate the 5 "bad foods". Y, Y, Y
2. Limit diet Coke to one glass per day; ideally zero. 0, 1, 1
3. Drink 1 glass of tart cherry juice per day. Y, Y, Y
4. Drink one cup of antioxidant tea per day. Y, 2, 1
5. Take all vitamins and supplements. Y, Y, Y
6. 45 minutes of core building per day. Y, Y, Y
7. Walk 4 times this week; minimum of 45 minutes each day. 2 so far
8. Stay within calorie limits. Y, 35 calories over, Y
9. Log everything. Y, Y, Y
10. Continue to very gradually add yoga and flexibility exercises to increase range of motion. (Spine) Y, Y, Y
Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec

Epi,
I know some here are from Canada but I'm from Wisconsin, the great frozen tundra. =)

Ahhh ok, that makes more sense. How in the world did I get the impression you were in Canada? Silly Epi!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 AM
FitDay Member

Yesterdays temperature broke all records going back to the 1820's but today we are in a cold spell again. I tried to walk outside but I didn't get very far and my calories were a touch over my upper limit. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Drink more liquids eg. water, tea, and limit juice to one glass: YYYY
Calorie limit 800 - 1100: YYYN
Treadmill walking 20 or more minutes daily: YYYN
Lose one pound or more each week:
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

You know how they say "Never go grocery shopping while you're hungry"? Well, yeah, I just finished scarfing down some store-made fried chicken. It wasn't particularly bad, but it wasn't good enough to seriously justify the calories and (holy moley) the sodium. I don't know the actual counts, so I'm using KFC numbers for logging purposes.

Thank goodness, I'm still within my daily calorie limits, but sodium? Blew the roof off. I *may* have an extra tea (or two) tonight to offset. More than likely, however, I'll just chalk it up to "oh well -- did it, logged it, done". Leave it in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.