Notices

Motivation and Accountability Thread, Jan 18 - 24

Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there, Fitday Friends! Glad to see everyone! Sounds like we're all still chock full of enthusiasm, which is great! I didn't post much last week (sorry ), but I did stay the course and ended up losing a half pound. Not much (oh, how I envy people who can "drop" 2-3 pounds a week), but it's something. And movement in the proper direction!

Strategy for last week, Jan 11-17:
  • Average daily calories: 1350-1450 RESULT: 1313
  • Average sodium: 1400-1500 (and at least 75% potassium to offset) RESULT: 1379 (potassium: 1260 = 91%)
  • Average daily fiber: at least 25g RESULT: 26g
  • Average daily protein: at least 50g RESULT: 72g

I'm pretty satisfied with the way things went and, more importantly, with how natural it all felt. No stress (no dieting stress, that is) and no guilt for anything I ate, even though I delighted in a few things most would consider definite diet no-nos.

What I'm doing now certainly feels manageable and sustainable, even though it doesn't give me the "big drop" (and probably never, ever will *sigh*). This body simply refuses to do the "big drop". Anyway, let's see if I can pull it off for another week.

Strategy for this week, Jan 18-24:
  • Average daily calories: 1350-1450
  • Average sodium: 1400-1500 (and at least 75% potassium to offset)
  • Average daily fiber: at least 25g
  • Average daily protein: at least 50g
And of course, enough fluid (mostly tea and some water) to stay properly hydrated but not so much as to make me *cough*uncomfortable*cough*.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

Ok, so now that I've gotten the business parts done (see above post), let me try to catch up on social:

Debbie
: Thanks for getting us started. Sounds like you have a good plan for the week.

Mike
: Glad to know you're feeling better! Feeling crummy always messes up any dieting efforts, so cut yourself some slack. I hope things go well for your daughter (strep stinks).

Quinn: You had a spectacular week! Congratulations! Question: why do you hate walking at the mall? Too many people? Too many obstacles (benches, trees, kiosks)? Too many distractions? The lure of the Food Court? Or is it because it's an enclosed area?

Hope: I didn't check in much either last week. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I checked in at all, except for on Monday. Oops! We'll both do better this week .
Old 01-18-2016, 04:36 AM
FitDay Member

Hey y'all! I'm back for the week. I'll post my goals when I get home from work. I doubt they'll change much from last week. Weekend at the SIL went as expected. I wasn't able to log properly because I wasn't sure how ANYTHING was cooked. We also ate out one meal. I tried to choose wisely but I'm sure everything was full of sodium. I also didn't get enough water in. I'm down 0.6 from last Monday, so I'll take it!! Everything is logged so far today and I know what we're having for supper. I'll log it when I get home. A nice juicy filet! I'll pair it with a baked sweet potato and a salad. I may be over my comfortable calorie limit, but I was craving choc milk this morning. So I splurged. I'm not one of those that can cut things completely out of my diet, if I do I tend to go overboard. Anyway. Break is almost up. Catch y'all later.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there, Tori! It's tough to know numbers when you, personally, aren't in control of preparation. And you're right; virtually anything eaten at a restaurant is pretty much guaranteed to be scary-full of sodium. Best you can do is approximate and hope for the best. And drink a lot of water/tea to help flush it out a bit.

Speaking of numbers, I just peeked at post counts in this thread. Holy cow, I'm the baby with under 500; I thought I'd done more than that over the years. You folks are all in the thousands!!! And Mike! Pushing 7,800 . Yowsers!

Maybe I felt like I'd posted more because my posts are always so loooooong. I can never seem to get my thoughts out in one or two sentences. It's one of the (many) reasons why I don't Tweet .
Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

I'm having a busy day but thought I should at least say hi and let you know I will be logging my food and keeping track of my calories. Tonight I will post again about my day. It's wonderful to see so many of you posting and best of all losing weight. Have a good one.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hello Everyone,
I had a good week but the weekend did me in, Too much food and sodium and not enough water. However, it is a new week so I am back on track. Keeping my goals the same.

Goals for the week:
1. Drink 60 ounces of water daily
2. Workout at least 150 minutes a week
3. Log foods keeping macros in mind
4. Stay between 1000-1200 calories
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

Epixi,

I'll mall walk if I just have no other options. I live in a small town with a couple of small malls. That means that it takes 5 laps of the mall to equal 1 mile. Almost all of the mall walkers are senior citizens and are really chatty and slooooooow. It's more of a social thing for them than a workout, I think. So, just as you get up to a good stride, someone will stop you to chat about the latest small town gossip. Also, I've lived here for about 40 years and so I pretty much know everyone, including many who work at the mall. They think I'm rude when I don't stop to talk at their shop every time I pass. I try to explain heart rate and all that, but they don't care. One, in particular, is offended if I don't stop at her store after walking to chat. She's a real time-sucker and will hold you there for a good half hour.

It's a problem here in northern Wisconsin in January and February. I live in an especially beautiful, rustic area and so my first choice is always to be outdoors. I live on the edge of a forest with a river, so it's especially easy just to walk out my back door and be on hiking trails. I'll take a rustic hiking trail any day over a smelly gym.

I use to snowshoe in the winter, but I haven't gotten clearance yet from my MD since I slipped a disc. The extreme cold would cancel that option right now, too. If it's over 28-30 degrees, I'll usually be out hiking at the nature preserve near my home.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by episode2011
Hi there, Fitday Friends! Glad to see everyone! Sounds like we're all still chock full of enthusiasm, which is great! I didn't post much last week (sorry ), but I did stay the course and ended up losing a half pound. Not much (oh, how I envy people who can "drop" 2-3 pounds a week), but it's something. And movement in the proper direction!

Strategy for last week, Jan 11-17:
  • Average daily calories: 1350-1450 RESULT: 1313
  • Average sodium: 1400-1500 (and at least 75% potassium to offset) RESULT: 1379 (potassium: 1260 = 91%)
  • Average daily fiber: at least 25g RESULT: 26g
  • Average daily protein: at least 50g RESULT: 72g

I'm pretty satisfied with the way things went and, more importantly, with how natural it all felt. No stress (no dieting stress, that is) and no guilt for anything I ate, even though I delighted in a few things most would consider definite diet no-nos.

What I'm doing now certainly feels manageable and sustainable, even though it doesn't give me the "big drop" (and probably never, ever will *sigh*). This body simply refuses to do the "big drop". Anyway, let's see if I can pull it off for another week.

Strategy for this week, Jan 18-24:
  • Average daily calories: 1350-1450
  • Average sodium: 1400-1500 (and at least 75% potassium to offset)
  • Average daily fiber: at least 25g
  • Average daily protein: at least 50g
And of course, enough fluid (mostly tea and some water) to stay properly hydrated but not so much as to make me *cough*uncomfortable*cough*.
Sounds like you've got it under control. "What I'm doing now certainly feels manageable and sustainable", that right there is the golden ticket!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

Health/Fitness Goals:

1: Log everything (food and activities) M: so far so good
2: Water--minimum 50.7 oz a day M: 33.8 so afr
3: Calories under 1700 a day M: don't know yet
4: Walk 6 miles this week M: 1.5
5: Lose 1 pound

Home:

1: Shampoo the bedroom carpets
2: Give dogs a bath
3: 3 loads of laundry
4: Wash all bed sheets and blankets

Basically keeping everything the same. I lost 0.6 lbs last week, even with the crazy sodium filled weekend. I'll call last week a success. I have already put in 1.5 miles on the treadmill today, I'll take tomorrow off because it's my crazy day. Will catch up with y'all in a little while.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mike
: Glad to know you're feeling better! Feeling crummy always messes up any dieting efforts, so cut yourself some slack. I hope things go well for your daughter (strep stinks).
Thanks. I didn't smell it but I'll take your word for it...

Hi there, Tori! It's tough to know numbers when you, personally, aren't in control of preparation. And you're right; virtually anything eaten at a restaurant is pretty much guaranteed to be scary-full of sodium. Best you can do is approximate and hope for the best. And drink a lot of water/tea to help flush it out a bit.

Speaking of numbers, I just peeked at post counts in this thread. Holy cow, I'm the baby with under 500; I thought I'd done more than that over the years. You folks are all in the thousands!!! And Mike! Pushing 7,800 . Yowsers!
Oh for the love of God, please don't EVER tell Tori she's right. I repeat, DON'T EVER!

7,800... I guess I spend too much time on here.

Originally Posted by gypsyjoy
Hello Everyone,
I had a good week but the weekend did me in, Too much food and sodium and not enough water. However, it is a new week so I am back on track. Keeping my goals the same.

Goals for the week:
1. Drink 60 ounces of water daily
2. Workout at least 150 minutes a week
3. Log foods keeping macros in mind
4. Stay between 1000-1200 calories
Weekends can be rough. Up your water intake and you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.