Notices

Motivation & Support 9/28-10/4

Old 09-29-2015, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Debbie, Ian, glad to see you back!!!! So sorry you are sick, Debbie; feel better soon!!! Maybe some chicken soup?
Hi Hope! I discovered a Thai restaurant right up the road from my house. I ordered the most yummy hot and spicy shrimp soup! It was so good and felt so soothing with this virus. Now I'm on the hunt for the recipe! Lol!

Sorry to hear you're in a flare and feeling discouraged. I can relate! Chin up girl! One day at a time! Dealing with chronic illness is no joke! You are so strong to keep pushing towards your goals while dealing with fibro! Not everyone would do that! Hope you're having a better day today
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rosabella2012
I bought a fresh salmon fillet yesterday, cut it up and put it on to marinate overnight in a bottle of light balsamic vinegarette dressing. Rinsed it off and got a portion for my lunch in the oven and it smells SOOOO good! Fresh squash to go with it! DH's supper of baked boneless pork ribs already done and cooling. Making a salad of grilled chicken breast slices, fresh jicama, carrots, radishes, chopped romaine, low-fat feta and herbs instead of dressing for supper. Already had 64 oz H2O and I'm sure I'll get in more a bit later since today seems to be one of my 'thirsty' days. Even though I'm not diabetic, some days I crave water and today's one of those days.

Got cellulitis in my TOES, of all places! Feels like I'm walking on a rock--oh well, doing what I can to resolve the issue--cellulitis hits me from time to time, so I just take care of it and go on.

Mobility issues slowly improving--I really think the PT exercises and the glucosamine/MSM supplement are helping. At least I'm not having to take pain meds as often now.

Lost another 2 pounds last week! The Diabetes Prevention Program classes are interesting--I never realized the impact excess dietary fat has on predisposing us to Type 2 diabetes. We absolutely NEED fat in our diet, but we need good quality fat, not the processed fats some Americans might eat. Good fat helps us process and absorb some vitamins/minerals, provides saeity and helps lubricate our joints. Yes, other things set us up for diabetes too, but some of these are things we can't control like ethnicity, genetics and age, but I can and should be in charge of what I eat. Back when I was in nursing school, this wasn't known or taught--so glad for advancements in learning!

Vicki
Sorry to hear you're dealing with cellulitis....I had to google it to know what it is...sounds uncomfortable!! Glad to hear the mobility issues are improving though! And down another 2 pounds!!!!! Keep forging forward lady!!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

Libby and Ian...hi! Didn't see a post from either of you today...hope you're both having a great day!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

I was on facebook tonight (not sure what brought me there...not a fan )...anyway...I saw a post from a friend who posted a picture of us from a few years back. It was 2008...I had my second child in November 2007 and the picture was September 2008...so 10 months after my second baby. I was off work on maternity leave for 12 months (sooo nice!!! This pic was only weeks away from me going back to work and losing all balance in my life!!!!) While on mat leave, I had time to take care of my kids and myself...I ran nearly every day back then. It was stressful in a sense taking care of two kids only 18 months apart...but I didn't work...this was all I did...take care of them and take care of me (my husband fit in there somewhere as well...I swear! ) I was around 115 lbs. back then...the weight I always was before I had kids and before I went back to work. After I went back to work, the real struggle began. How to I fit in time for myself and still feel like I'm a good mother and a good wife. Fast forward to today, I don't feel like I accomplish any of those goals. I don't take care of myself...and I struggle to feel like a good mother and a good wife. Tonight I changed my avatar pic to the facebook picture I saw tonight. I hope that each time I log in here and see that picture, I'm reminded of someone who had balance. This is what I'm working towards. Sure, I would love to be 115 lbs. again, but more importantly, I would be so happy to feel balanced and able to handle the pressures in my life.

**Big sigh*** I hope I have it in me to do this again!

Last edited by lildebbieg; 09-29-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Debbie, yes I think if we get a taste of success it will be really motivating for both of us. I know the struggle of balance and being good for everyone. It's not an easy tightrope to walk. You do need to make time for yourself to be healthy and feel healthy in order to be the best you can for everyone else. Sounds corny, I know, but it's so true. With my mental illness I have to find balance or I lose stability and am no good to anyone. I have to take my meds, and get plenty of sleep (a LOT of sleep!!!) in order to be a better mom and wife when I'm awake. Do some self reflection and figure out what YOU need for yourself in order to be the best for everyone else and work hard on that. The rest will fall in line. btw, your photo is beautiful, as I'm sure you still are on the outside, but inside you're a beautiful person too and you need to remember that. We do have it in us to do this again. Come on buddy...we can both do this! (sorry for rambling so long!!!)

Vicki, so sorry to hear about the cellulitis! Like Debbie I had to look it up as I'd never really heard of it before. Sounds painful! I hope it clears up quickly. What do you do for it?

A good topic was brought up by Vicki in her last post...healthy fats. What types of healthy fats do you eat and how do you like to prepare them? Anyone want to chime in?

I had some healthy fat tonight at dinner...guacamole. It was so delicious on top of a chicken quesadilla. I went easy on the cheese (compared to usual lol...I love me some cheese!), but did have some sour cream on top. There were 6 oz overall of chicken, but I only ate 3/4 of it. I know that's a lot of meat at one meal, but it was my only meal so far today. I know that's bad for me too, eating only 1 or 2 meals a day. I need to find more balance in that area as well. I think I will have an atkins with milk sometime before bed to get in more protein and good stuff for the day.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I've been too busy at work to find time to write a long reply so I'll just throw in a quickie.

Did great on Monday, an hour of cleaning the house and 30 min on the exercise bike allowed a pretty good start to the week. Tuesday I didn't have time to exercise so I'll need to set that right today but at least I managed a calorie defecit (no matter how small it was) even without the exercise.

Keep up the good work people!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Great! I'm not even starting my week until its in the middle already.

I looked after my grandkids on Monday and it took everything out of me. I have so much to do before I leave again on Saturday.

Water, that is the big thing for me right now. My mom uses a Brita on her city tap water. I am used to well water.
I think I need to bring water with me for drinking. 14 Liters.

While I'm at it, I need to up my water here at home as well. I keep forgetting to drink.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

eye opening a-ha moment. There's a commercial on tv where at the end it says that women do another thing better than men...heart disease/heart attacks. I was driving home from dropping Sara off at school and for as many times as I've seen that commercial, it finally hit me in that moment. I'm getting older (44) and as overweight as I am I wouldn't doubt if I had some level of heart disease. I don't want to have a heart attack before I'm 50! I need to up this game!

Started off the day well with an atkins with milk. I need to keep the rest of the day in line.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

I slept most of the day yesterday. I was too sore to move because of all the cleaning I did on Monday. My calories were good yesterday and Monday so I hope Friday weigh in will be good.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
eye opening a-ha moment. There's a commercial on tv where at the end it says that women do another thing better than men...heart disease/heart attacks. I was driving home from dropping Sara off at school and for as many times as I've seen that commercial, it finally hit me in that moment. I'm getting older (44) and as overweight as I am I wouldn't doubt if I had some level of heart disease. I don't want to have a heart attack before I'm 50! I need to up this game!

Started off the day well with an atkins with milk. I need to keep the rest of the day in line.
That's the thing I have always been aware of: with heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc, in my family, I don't need to add extra risk. So, in a way, I am glad you got the jolt. We need you around!!!

Debbie, I found some great Thai chicken soup in NOLA when I got sick there. I lived off it. If you find a good recipe, please share....

Mike, how did you get those flags looking so good? Stencils? Thanks for the reluctantly given props lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.