Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivation 9/21-9/27 Keep building on what you're doing right >

Motivation 9/21-9/27 Keep building on what you're doing right

Notices

Motivation 9/21-9/27 Keep building on what you're doing right

Old 09-22-2015, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, I was doing okay with cheese, only buying Swiss cheese and leaving the cheap cheese for my family but my doctor told me to double my salt intake. The only way to do that is eat cheese that is high sodium because I hate salt in my oatmeal, soup, or food. Cheese and bacon are my only big salt sources.

At least until I leave my kids alone to shop for two weeks. I came home to a fridge filled with sausages straight off the shelf (I have mine specially made without salt), ham, full salt bacon, pork and beans, and Chefboyardee. They even have a tetra container of commercial chicken broth.

Grumpy, I don't dislike chocolate but I am terrified of it. My first trip to the ER as a child was because of chocolate. Only two men have ever brought me chocolates in my life and that was grounds for never seeing them again. Oh, I am highly allergic to tree nuts and cross contamination is high in chocolate. Yeah, so I won't trade.

Today I am adding another goal. WATER
Old 09-22-2015, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Oh Annette, how terrible.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Unlike Hope, I was able to get in 100 oz of water.

1) drink 100 oz water a day M. Yes
2) check in and touch base with everyone here M. Yes
3) 2 RAKs (random acts of kindness)M. No
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

Annette: I realized you were allergic to tree nuts but didn't realize chocolate hurt you too! I'd be lost without my dark chocolate--especially my chocolate coffee and dark chocolate balsamic vinegar! I love my bacon and the low-salt version tastes pretty good--some bacon really is way too salty. The best bacon I've tried came from a smokehouse in Arkansas--it was very lean and dry smoked. They also have smoked cheeses, sausages and hams that are great.

Grumpy: I realize my protein intake may be much higher than what others may need but with OA, lymphoedema, chronic cellulitis and chronic asthma along with trying to correct nutritional deficits, preserve muscle through exercise/diet AND lose weight, my MD suggests that I eat half my weight in protein grams per day (at 255 pounds, that would be around 128 grams protein per day), fat at 50-55 grams per day, 25-30 grams fiber and 30-40 grams other carbs per day. I also take vitamins to fill in any nutritional gaps. At 110 grams protein per day, that I feel I can do. I love meat, cheese and eggs--but that is a lot to eat which is why I use protein bars, drinks and powders.

Because of my chronic issues, some foods like grains and beans are off limits right now. They will be phased into my diet gradually as I get closer to the goals set by my MD. Other things, while great nutritious foods, work against my body and I will probably never be able to eat some things that other folks feast on daily.

When I started to try to lose weight and get healthy at >370 pounds, I was trying to eat the 'normal' amount of protein 60 grams per day, lowfat and high carb meals--the weight loss was very slow and I felt weak and lethargic all the time. My MD told me that 60 grams per day was an adequate amount of protein for a 120 pound 25 yr old female--which I definitely wasn't! At my target weight my protein should level off around 85-90 grams per day. This nutrition thing is truly a 'work in progress'! Fitday helps so much! Vicki
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rainbow24
I stood on the scale at home this morning and it actually registered a weight.

Sadly I have undone much of my hard work over the past year.

So my goals for today and for the next 12 days, in order of importance:

1) Housework until I drop because only the bare necessities were done while I was away.
2) Paper work so that all my usual duties can be kept up in my next absence.

3) Stay away from the cheese (already failed on this today, but I am not yet broken)

4) Daily walk
I can totally relate. I was able to undo all of what I had worked so hard for. It sucks but it's my fault, therefore it's on me to fix it. Nice set of goals. Keep plugging away!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
I've had an ok day. a little bit of soda, maybe 8 oz, the rest today has been diet soda. I had a little bit of ramen noodles with egg in it for dinner, but it wasn't enough to fill me for a full meal. I'll be having my atkins with milk in a little while. I'm still recovering from my bad food day yesterday, and I just feel blobbish. ick.

Mike, you certainly didn't give up on your goals last week...you knocked them out of the park! You know you can keep it up, so here's to a good week for you.

What types of things are on your menu for the week?
Nothing on the meun. That seems to be the problem, I need to plan ahead. I've honestly been too busy lately and have fallen victim to the drive up window all too often. This morning we had to get up and drive an hour to meet with our builder (to finalize the plans on the house and take the next step in the build). We stopped at Chick Fil A for breakfast. On the way back we stopped to look for furniture and ending up stopping to get gas at a gas station that just so happen to have food. I had meatloaf, mashed taters and gravy and corn. It was actually really good. Probably really bad for me. You know what's a good way to recover from a bad food day???? 100 ounces of water!

Originally Posted by canary52
Are you kidding? I can barely do 32 oz of water!!! DH and DD make fun of my "tiny sips." Just cause I don't guzzle. Speaking of guzzling, (like the segue?) I would LOVE to come for Mardi Gras again. It was soooooo much fun. (And sooo much money for a place lol, the price gouging bastids, pardon my French.) Probably won't make it for that time but DH is telling me HE is going to NOLA this winter if I'd like to join him. Got some good news, will be in touch soon.
You can do a 100 ounces, you just chose to be weak minded and let it intimidate you. Even though you don't have faith in you, I do and that should count for something! Don't let me down!!! Yes, you need to come with him. Unfortunately the new house won't be quite done, be we can still go check it out!

Originally Posted by rosabella2012
Morning, folks! Some of my goals for the week are to:
1. Keep up with PT exercises for my knee and pay attention to my pain signals.
2. Keep fluid intake at least 80 oz per day, protein 110 gm daily and fat 50-55 grams per day--according to my nutritionist, I've not been getting quite enough fat in my diet and it could exacerbate my OA--who knew?

Gotta grab my walking cane and run (very carefully!) some errands today--pick up meds, pay some bills--all the stuff that runs our lives! I might even hit a movie while I'm out! Vicki
What are these "fluids"you speak of?

Originally Posted by Grumpy72ga

Mike, you are an inspiration with your meticulous tracking of goals.

My goals
1) check in daily (as sucky wifi permits)
2) track my food on paper (sucky wifi - see above)
3) working the cranky treadmillI despite the audience.
4) keep up water.

So maybe someone can explain the whole protein thing to me. I was vegetarian for a while and the concept of eating that much protein eludes me. I can't do dairy for health reasons (hate cheese, can't do yogurt, etc if it's related to a cow I avoid it) love beans, eat meat but not that much.

DH has left us for the week and will return later, so I sent him on a mission to find out what equipment our clubhouse has at home, hoping he'll send photos. Oldest DD has expressed an interest in weight training so she can carry horse equipment and if she's gonna go for it, I might as well tag along and maybe hire a PT who works with teens so she does it right. My treadmill at home is fab, but some strength stuff would be good!

I have to fend for myself this week with food, lol, my hubby cooks way better than I do and now that Monday is out of the way no more bad food choices. I think we'll be making tacos with ground turkey for dinner (at least I know the girls will eat that, and there are veggies involved, maybe mine can be a salad instead.)

Planning to hit the stairs and treadmill all week, but the littlest will protest about the 14 floors, so unless I can convince the oldest to ride with her, the stairs maybe tough to accomplish.
Glad to see you grumpy! I'm not sure about females but when I was working out, I tried to take in 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. For example, when I was ~170# and 10% body fat, I would try to take in around 150g of protein per day (170-10%=153). That's excessive, I would assume for women, .5-.75g per lean body mass would be sufficient. This isn't necessarily you but lets say a female weighing 150# with 30% bf could probably take in 52-79g and be fine. I'm no expert but that's what I'm banking on.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

Don't get me wrong, no judgement on the protein, just not something I'm familiar with so I ask questions, lotsa questions. I've always kind of low carb-ed (love my carbs) and high veg/fruit and whatever was left could be a variation of meat fats etc. (my slipper slope has been sweets.

My goals
1) check in daily (as sucky wifi permits)M-Y, T-Y
2) track my food on paper (sucky wifi - see above) M-N, T-N
3) working the cranky treadmillI despite the audience.M-off, T-Y
4) keep up water.M-Y, T-Y

Ran 2.14 mi in 30min, with the girls being super patient, it's hard to run and talk at the same time LOL! mDD, now insists we go for a mile walk on the beach and then hit the pool before dinner (I swear she is after her inheritance already (she's 9) she's trying to kill me!!). I'll be fit as a fiddle in now time!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

Vicki, okay the protein makes sense now. I just keep reading everywhere that everyone needs to up their protein intake and I know I get nowhere near the RDA, which might explain somethings. Good thoughts for pondering, and further research. I have untreated Crohns and found meat to be a trigger along with dairy, so other protein sources might be to my benefit.

Annette, I didn't know you were nut allergic, but it makes sense that almost all chocolate is off limits. Everything is cross contaminated.

Mike, thank you. Protein questions make more sense now, and definitely something I need to look into and question my MD about.

Guess, I need to make that Dr. Appt for when we get back. *sigh*
Old 09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
FitDay Member

mike: The fluids I mentioned are a combination of water and usually 1 cup of plain unsweetened almondmilk. I usually do 3 24 oz glasses of water as a minimum plus the almondmilk. Some days, like today, I've had over 90 oz of fluids. Very rarely do I drink diet sodas.

Grumpy: Good questions regarding protein! By all means, get your MD's guidance. What I need could be entirely different from what you need. Vicki
Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

I failed miserably on the water. I need to step up my game today. (120 ounces today)

1) drink 100 oz water a day M. Yes T. No
2) check in and touch base with everyone here M. Yes T. Yes
3) 2 RAKs (random acts of kindness)M. No T. No

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.