Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivation and Accountability Thread, April 20 - April 26 -- Onward and Downward >

Motivation and Accountability Thread, April 20 - April 26 -- Onward and Downward

Notices

Motivation and Accountability Thread, April 20 - April 26 -- Onward and Downward

Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivation and Accountability Thread, April 20 - April 26 -- Onward and Downward

Good Monday Morning, all! I couldn't come up with a pithy title for this week's thread, so I reused one I used waaaaay back in 2013 (I think it was 2013). No great words of wisdom or inspiration here (sorry), so let's just get to work .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Strategy for the Week (April 20 - April 26):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300:
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses):
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1400: (used to be 1500)
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g:
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Carbs = under 125: (used to be 150)
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = greater than 75g: (used to be 50-75)
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
Just a few tweaks this week. Over the past few days, I've been transitioning from a carb-heavy diet (in the generic sense of the word "diet", not the weight-loss sense) to a more protein-heavy strategy. Thus, for this week's strategy, I've increased the protein minimum and lowered the carb max. The line-item about fiber has been taken off the table for the time being.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning Fitdayers Thanks for getting us started Epixi!

I'm changing things up this week. I'm planning to track calories and exercise from Mon-Sat only, then give myself a little breathing room on Sunday. I took the day off exercise and tracking yesterday and instead of feeling derailed, I feel rested and ready for another week full steam ahead! I'm making a calorie, carb and protein range. Some days, I'm feeling too hungry eating only 1200 calories with the amount of exercise I'm doing and a range feels less restrictive. Let's make this a great week!

Weekly Goals
track food Mon-Sat:
min. 72 oz. water daily:
1200-1400 calories:
80 - 100 g protein:
120 - 140 g carbs:
20 - 25 g fibre:
exercise Mon-Sat:

Last edited by lildebbieg; 04-20-2015 at 07:28 AM. Reason: rethinking my goals...and edited a few times today ;)
Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM
FitDay Member

Debbie, great loss this week! I like your idea of ranges, and I'm also glad that you find a day of rest rejuvenating. I hope these things are good for you!

Epixi,
I hope the new tweaks work well for you.

I'm still not doing great, but I'm not going to go into details. I'm a work in progress. some days I do great, other days I do terribly.

Have a great week everyone!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

I'm feeling very wishy washy today! I'm changing my goals...AGAIN! I'm going to nix the protein, carbs and fibre goal. I feel for me it's too nitty gritty. In the past when I was successfully losing I never counted protein, carbs and fibre. Not sure why I thought I should add that in? So for now, I'll only be tracking calories, water and exercise. I'm counting exercise minutes as part of the current challenge.

Weekly Goals
track food Mon-Sat: Mon. - Yes
min. 72 oz. water daily: Mon. - 72 oz.
1200-1400 calories: Mon. - 1274 cals.
exercise Mon-Sat:Mon. - 84 mins.

Lisa - I think we're all a work in progress. Nobody can be perfect day in and day out. Do what you can and try not to be too hard on yourself

Epixi - Now that I've nixed the carb and protein goal, I'm curious to see if making those changes actually makes a difference. I'll have to live vicariously through you for now....if counting carbs and protein really makes a difference then maybe I'll add it back into my goals too!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

I'll post comments and my day's results in the next post but I wanted to make this separate post to share some info I read tonight. There was a study done in the UK (I'm not sure if it's an ongoing project) looking at over 4000 obese (BMI greater than 30) people. Based on their findings, they've theorized that obese people fall into 6 distinct groupings. Exciting news, eh?

Here are the groupings:
  • Young males, heavy drinkers
  • Middle aged people who are unhappy and anxious (this group was primarily females with "poor mental health" (that's the article's wording, not mine) who exercise regularly)
  • Happy older people, even though they have a lot of physical health issues
  • Young healthy females
  • Older, affluent healthy adults (who have above-average alcohol consumption)
  • People with very poor health (this was also the most financially challenged group)
Frankly, I was annoyed reading this. First of all, the groupings are, in my opinion, a hodge-podge of ridiculousness. So young males who don't drink don't get obese? They didn't find any middle-aged people who didn't have mental health challenges? What about older, affluent people who don't drink? And there was no indication of what ages fell into what groups. How young is "young"? What ages are encompassed in "middle-aged"?

And where was the mention of genetics and body-types? Where was the discussion looking into why people seem to have different metabolism rates (why are some bodies more efficient than others)? Or even the whole apple-shape vs pear-shape issue?

*sigh* Maybe I'm just miffed because I don't fit into ANY of these categories. Where's MY category???
Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 PM
FitDay Member

Lisa: Yes! You are a work in process, as are we all (heck, I have it as my sig!)! As Debbie said, do what you can. We're all here for you.

Debbie: Hehe changing the plan indicates flexibility, if you ask me. Acknowledging what you feel adds to your progress, tweaking what doesn't. And sometimes, it's good to shake it up, just because! In the past, I never paid much attention to all these fiddly nutrients, either, but new health concerns have changed all that. I sort of HAVE to track sodium and sat-fat now. Bah, getting old sucks .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Strategy for the Week (April 20 - April 26):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 966
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3923
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1400: 1277
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Carbs = under 125: 68
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = greater than 75g: 73
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Monday: Read the article I cited in the post above
In anticipation of having an over-calorie week, I've purposely under-eaten my calories for the past few days. Banking calories, as it were. I'm sure by the end of the week, the calories number will be back where it should be. I'm guessing sodium will be over my usual, because I'll have far less control over it. I'll just have to wing it and hope for the best.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:56 PM
FitDay Member

Hey, folks, I'm back! Glad the work assignment's done and so is training for now. I lost 2 friends last week and it's so sad to have them pass on. I have another friend in ICU in Texas.

Sometimes I made good food choices and sometimes I didn't while I've been out of state. I know my sodium intake was up pretty high and my weight is up to prove it--up to 272, but I am being consistent about moving (exercising!) more!
I was lamenting my weight issues to a friend today and was told, "Did you expect to NEVER have a gain just because you're trying to lose? It's just a number! Your goal is to make healthier food choices and to be able to move with greater flexibility and ease!" Movement is getting easier--so I'm seeing at least part of my goal materialize!

I'll be back tomorrow--dishes need to be washed! Vicki
Old 04-21-2015, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

My scale died again and I am having trouble keeping logged on. Tired to post yesterday and got kicked off.

Right now my exercise is yard work. Every muscle hurts in the morning.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Guys, I'm back. Glad to see you are still plugging away (maybe not the right term. ) How bout just glad to see you?

I have been stress eating and giving up so my goals:

1) to follow the healthy eating plan that worked for me mere months ago: N
2) 10 glasses of water: N
3) stretch daily: Y, Y
4) exercise 2-3x (walk, mild gym): Y, Y
5) meditate : N, Y
6) don't give in and give up, hold onto my values: N

I'm including yesterday to show the progress I hope to have.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canary52
Hi Guys, I'm back. Glad to see you are still plugging away (maybe not the right term. ) How bout just glad to see you?

I have been stress eating and giving up so my goals:

1) to follow the healthy eating plan that worked for me mere months ago: N
2) 10 glasses of water: N
3) stretch daily: Y, Y
4) exercise 2-3x (walk, mild gym): Y, Y
5) meditate : N, Y
6) don't give in and give up, hold onto my values: N

I'm including yesterday to show the progress I hope to have.
I was thinking about you yesterday... as i was eating crawfish. When are we going to see y'all again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.