Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection! >

Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection!

Notices

Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

thanks for the positive support everyone. tomorrow I'm going to an informational seminar put on by Weight Loss Inst of AZ. They'll talk about the various forms of surgery and such, some general insurance info I think. I hear there are hoops you have to go through to get approved such as losing some weight on your own, therapy, general lab tests and things to prove your heart and stuff is healthy enough. The reason I decided on the lap band is because it is the least invasive. Nothing is getting cut, rearranged or taken out. It's simply a silicone band around the stomach with a port under the skin. They inject saline into the port to tighten the band as needed.

Also, this afternoon I am making the switch from watered down crystal light to plain water. ugh. I hate it. But the red dye in the crystal light was ruining my bottle. lol
Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Pixi: I used to calorie cycle. I found that an easy way to get "higher" days without killing my macros was adding beans. I tried to get the lowest-sodium beans possible (the best is to buy non-canned beans - you just have to soak them, or you can buy low-sodium cans), but they add a lot of calories and a lot of fiber to the diet, especially navy and white beans. Pinto beans work too.

I used to eat a lot of chili when I was on higher-calorie days. Beans are also a good addition to any salad, especially a warm salad with other protein, like chicken breasts.

Spinach is also high-fiber, and raspberries are surprisingly high-fiber too. They do have sugar, but it's better than refined sugar

You could also try adding in more nuts/seeds to your diet, if you like them and aren't allergic. Pumpkin seeds were a go-to for me, and they also contain some fiber. They're delicious toasted in the oven.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I know it helped me on high-cal days! I used to cycle aiming for between 1200-1300 on "low" days and 1700-1900 on "high" days. This is not a huge shift, I know some cycle for over 1,000 cal difference between days, but I found it helped me. I usually ended up something like 1300 on low days and 1800 on high days - usually, if I went much below 1300, I was always hungry!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

OMG I figured it out!! I went to update my goals and tinker with things, since I felt like I've been eating too much for what I'm trying to accomplish. FitDay says my cal budget is quite high, and I'm not having the losses I feel I should be.

Each day, I fill in my current weight under the "Weight" tab. I just leave the "Weight Goal" section the same, because it shows my long term progress.

So - under the "Weight Goal" tab, my start weight was still my original start weight as of Dec 31; and my goal weight was still my long term goal weight. I figured since I'm updating my current weight under "Weight" each morning, that would be enough - right??

I thought the "Weight Goal" stats served as a long term progress tracker, and thus didn't need to be touched - WRONG!!

FitDay is calculating allowed calories based on Start Weight under the "Weight Goal" tab, instead of the "Today's Weight" number under the "Weight" tab (which would be more accurate!)

Calorie balance should change as our weight changes - but if you don't update your "Weight Goal" Start Weight each week - your cals don't decrease!

SO, now that I know this - I will have to update my weight under BOTH tabs to receive the most accurate calorie budget for my goals. I have been eating calories based on being 21 lbs heavier - and wondering why the amount seems high and why my cals don't go down as I lose!! (Also, it explains the smaller losses in the last couple weeks)

You all may know this and I may JUST be cluing in... but if you aren't updating your weight under the "Weight Goal" tab each week - you are not getting an accurate picture of how many cals you should be eating. Your numbers are based on your start weight, not your current/today's weight! You would think the program would automatically base the calorie balance off of the current weight, but it doesn't. Just a heads up

Let me know if you need further clarification - I hope my explanation isn't too confusing!

Last edited by paisleyjane; 02-27-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:44 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, my mind is a roller coaster! thank you Debbie for the link to the video. It was very enlightening. Maybe I should re-think weight loss surgery. Maybe I should just stick to what I originally planned...therapy, and lots of it. I don't know. I'll keep the options open, but I'm not going to rush in to anything.

If my daughter didn't have the car tonight I'd have been out getting junk food. Instead I had oatmeal and a banana. Still super high in calories, but maybe I should focus on healthier first and calories after I get that down better. I'm going to get back to logging and facing myself with what I'm doing.

And, I'm going to *try* to start exercising again. However, in the wise words of Yoda, "Do. Or do not. There is no try."
Old 02-28-2015, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

Happy weekend friends- so far so good - only had bottled water last night at the club so that was a good choice!

Lisa - surgery is a big decision. we will be here for you but you are right to take your time and make a well informed decision that is right for you.

Debbie - you said it progress! even a little loss is in the right direction.

Terri- glad to hear you are feeling well. It may seem like you are too tired to exercise, but at least for me, I usually feel better afterwards with more energy.

Roxy - I will be glad when Feb is over - lol Looking forward to March and Spring.

Paisley- thanks for the info- I did not know this as well. I will update now at least once a week in both tabs.

Epixi - cycling calories seemed to work for me when I hit a plateua. I don't do it consistently but mix it up and have a higher calorie day then. At least for me I think it helps my body to realize it is not being starved!

Off to the grocery store to stock up on some healthy choices this week. I am so ready to bring in March with some real accomplishments.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa: I'm glad you're taking your time to really sift through all your options. That's really smart. There's so much to consider: physical, emotional, mental, support and, of course, financial. It's a lot to wrap your mind around. Did you go to the seminar anyway? I'd imagine it would be a good way to gather information and continue your research.

With regard to the oatmeal and banana (versus fast food), not really *super* high in calories, in my opinion. And don't forget the differences in nutritional values. There's a lot less sodium in oatmeal than in, say, a Big Mac and fries. Even if you put butter in the oatmeal.

I got a chuckle out of you taking the Crystal Light out of the water. I did the exact same thing about 2 years ago. It takes some getting used to, to drink straight, unadulterated water. I'm *still* not a bit fan of the plain stuff. But it dawned on me that I wasn't sure exactly what the flavorings consisted of. Saccharine? Aspartame? And what exactly makes up the color? Is it good for me? Soooo I drink it straight now and remind myself that I'm doing something good for the body.

Terri: BEANS!!! You're a genius! I forgot all about the magic power of beans even though I have several cans of assorted beans in the pantry. And they're even the good stuff -- no salt added, so the sodium count is wayyyy low. And I have some wild rice (love that stuff!) and brown rice, too. Hmmmm, I think tomorrow I'll make some rice, mix in some beans and toss in a few raisins/craisins... yum! Fiber, protein and low sodium in one bowl. Nice!

With regard to nuts, I'm a big almond lover. I used to keep a big bag on my desk. Problem was, I'd go through the entire bag in two or three days, a handful at a time. I gave them up, however, because of the high fat content (even though it's "good" fat). But perhaps if I can train myself to have JUST one ounce, I may be able to add them back. I'll have to exert some self discipline and divide them up into single-serve packs as soon as I get home from the store. And keep them in the pantry, so I have to make a concerted effort to go get them.

Roxy: I think we all just witnessed an "AHA!!!" moment! Such a great revelation! And one I don't think many people take into consideration.

Lynda: I'm going to try to stick with the Calorie Cycling, but, as I said, re-think it a bit. First of all, I need to define for myself what exactly is a Low day and a High day. Once I have those better sorted in my head, I think it'll go a bit more smoothly. And maybe I won't do it as a weekly thing but as a monthly thing. Or maybe an "as-needed" thing. Hah, just like me, CC is a work in progress .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My Goals for the Week:
  • Calorie Cycling* -- 4 low days, 3 high days: L, L, L, L, L
  • Minimum 1500g water/tea per day: 2450, 2450, 2445, 2445, 2445
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1016,1183, 1170, 1213, 1202
Having spent the past 5 months eating Low, it feels dirty to eat High and that may be another reason I'm having trouble with it. And here's yet another one (and I can't believe I'm saying/writing this): I'm simply not as hungry as I used to be. 1100-1300 calories in a day and I'm honestly full. Heck, I used to be able to put that away in a single meal (and still have room for dessert!). What's happening to meeeee?????

Here's to a spectacular weekend, everyone! Keep up the good works!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning all My neck/back is feeling quite a bit better...so much so that I think I may attempt my regular workouts tomorrow...for today, I'll stick to low impact elliptical.

Thank you all for the encouragement after my .1 lb. loss this week. I've changed my signature to include a quote about progress to remind myself that any progress is still progress. Even if I hadn't lost the .1 lbs. I still stuck to my nutritional goals which includes cutting out the wine. It's just gotta pay off right!

Have a wonderful, restful Sunday all!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

I just started putting together a grocery list for the week.....UGH!!!! I am soooooo sick of looking at recipes and trying to figure out what my picky family will eat! That coupled with what I can eat and stay within my calorie budget is souring my mood. Maybe I'll just eat carrots and hummus and/or apples and peanut butter this week. Sounds awesome....no cooking involved! Seriously though...not in the mood to plan everyone's food for another week
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie: Yay! So glad to hear you're feeling better! Good idea on easing back into the full workout. Don't want to rush headlong back into it and re-injure yourself.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My Goals for the Week:
  • Calorie Cycling -- 4 low days, 3 high days: L, L, L, L, L, L
  • Minimum 1500g water/tea per day: 2450, 2450, 2445, 2445, 2445, 2445
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1016,1183, 1170, 1213, 1202, 1133
Going to try my best to make it a High day today. Yesterday I got busy and it ended up being yet another low day.

Happy March 1, everybody! Let's enter March like lions -- ROAR!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all - wanted to post as this next week will be super busy at work so I am not get a chance to log in at the beginning of the week.

I too try to drink my water without the additives but sometimes add lemon juice or in the summer I like to add cucumber. I am not a big mint fan but have also let mint soak in a pitcher of water and it is pretty tasty.

Epixi - I understand what you mean by not being as hungry. I am getting fuller faster and staying fuller longer. My only problem now is I am not hungry at "dinner time" so I have skipped eating but then a few hours later I am ravenous. I need to learn to still eat but maybe a smaller portion. This happened last week when I had a meeting in the evening and I didn't want dinner before the meeting because I wasn't hungry. By the time I got home, I was starving- lol I should have eaten at least something so I did learn my lesson that night.

Debbie - glad you are feeling better to get back to your regular workouts. I too had to go grocery shopping this week. I know it will be a busy week so I am prepping a big pot of bean and cabbage soup loaded with veggies. Then I can just reheat when I get home from work. My hubby will not eat this but he is very supportive and I bought things he can make for himself.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and off to a good start this next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.