Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection! >

Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection!

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone- Happy Monday from the bitter cold northeast.

I'm not walking outside yet - but did do one mile video inside so it's a start.
I plan on another one today. Thanks Debbie for the motivation this week - it's progress and something that I can learn to do everyday.

Terri - great news!! You have great goals to be healthy for you and the little one. It must have been terrific to hear the heartbeat.

Roxy - I have a hard time when I am tired, it seems I make very bad choices when I let myself get rundown. So nice you could recharge this weekend!

Love the great ideas this week for goals. I think I may steal them- lol
I will try to up my mileage this week and we have stairs at work also. Maybe not 10 minutes but if I did an extra set this week each day. Our office is up 2 and a half flights of stairs so I climb them once a day - maybe I could do another set at lunch.

Annette- the medevial event sounds so much fun. I love that time in history. It is fun to get out and enjoy life.

Here's to another great week.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, folks!

Hard to believe I've been away from the forums for nearly 18 months (sorry 'bout that!). Life got really (REALLY) hectic, time got away from me and I just fell out of the habit (tsk, tsk).

I've been lurking for the last week or so, and, since it's Monday, today was as good a time as any to jump back in. So, here I am. Lots of new faces around here -- glad to see the Motivation/Weekly Goals Thread is still going strong.

At the time I stopped posting (July 2013), I had been doing reasonably well on this ongoing weight journey. I had gone from 220-something to 198 (ONE-derland, wooo!). Sadly, between July 2013 and Sept 2014), some of those pesky pounds managed to find me again (grrr) and I ended up back at 210. This past September, however, I got a tiny (in other words, non-life-threatening) health wake-up call. Just so you know, gallbladder attacks are NO FUN.

Anyway, I took it as an opportunity to make a few changes and a fresh start. I'm happy to report, things are going well (well, at least the weight bits are going well -- life is still hectic ).

So, enough of the re-introduction -- let's get to gettin' with the goal settin'!

My Goals for the Week:
  • Calorie Cycling* -- 4 low days, 3 high days:
  • Minimum 1500g water/tea per day:
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300:

Probably enough for one week, eh?

*Note on Calorie Cycling: The weight loss was doing well from September through January (even during those oh-so-treacherous holiday stretches). Unfortunately, I hit a plateau around Feb 1. I think my body got accustomed to a certain number of calories per day and adjusted my metabolism to reflect that (darnit! -- NOT what I wanted!).

Result: I've been gaining and losing the same blinkin' pound every day for nearly 3 weeks (I'm a daily weigher), even though I hadn't changed the eating. No cheating, no "little allowances", nothing wrong. I had a choice: give up or change up. I chose to change. So, since the middle of last week, I've been Calorie Cycling.

Will it work? I don't know. This is all new territory for me. I assume I'll have to tweak it as I go. Maybe 5 Low, 2 High -- who knows? The hardest part so far is trying to eat High (I've got the Low days down pat) while still keeping proper balances (low sodium, low fat, high protein, high fiber).

It would be so much easier if I could simply make the High days full of pancakes, doughnuts and cookies!

Man, this is a long post (oops!)! I'll stop here. Happy Monday, everyone, and here's to a grand week!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Terri - Congratulations!! So happy for you what an exciting time!

Episode2011 - I'm very interested in the calorie cycling. Keep us posted on how this works out.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all I thought I've been sore from my workouts, but looks like I may have actually done something. I ended up going to the chiropractor this morning due to neck and shoulder pain. She said she thought it was mostly muscular which with stretching and massage it should calm down. She did adjust me since I was a bit out, but suggested foam rolling. I wish I could have gone home so I could use the heating pad and stretch, but I'm at work sitting in front of a computer for the next 6 hours. Ugh! Why can't I be independently wealthy so I don't have to work I can wish right!!! LOL!

Have an awesome day all!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

@Terry: I echo the congratulations! Wonderful, exciting news! (Side note: I must admit, I got a chuckle out of the thought of a "131 beats/second" baby ).

@Pranava: I definitely will be making/posting notes on how the Calorie Cycling is working (or not, should that be the case). As I mentioned, it's new territory for me. It looks good on paper. Let's see how the chips actually fall. (Mmmmm, chips!)

@Debbie: Ouch! I hope you're feeling better soon. Can you at least put some warm paper towels on your neck for a few minutes? And, by the way, I wish I'd been born rich, too!

My Goals for the Week:
  • Calorie Cycling* -- 4 low days, 3 high days: L
  • Minimum 1500g water/tea per day: 2450
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1016
I'm not sure if the Calorie Cycling kicked in or if it was going to happen anyway, but today, I finally (FINALLY) broke through the plateau. At 185.5, I am now the lowest weight I've been since 1995ish. I'm psyched!

Today is designated as another Low day. I get the Low days -- been doing them for the last 5 months. That's why my 7-day Average for yesterday was only 1016 (until last week, my typical day was 1000-1100). I'm assuming it'll take a week or so for the 7-day Average to creep up to where I want it. The real challenge for me will be the High days (ooo tomorrow is a High day...).
Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all - seems like everyone is staying busy. I did do an extra set of stairs today so really glad I stuck to it!

episode2011- welcome - I am fairly new to the group just got started in Jan so I am learning also although I have been "dieting" for many years. I lose and gain it back. I have not tried the cycling but sometimes to break thru a plateua, I do mix up and have a few higher calorie days it seems to kick my system out of starvation mode. I may gain a pound or two but then as soon as I go back to down to my low cal menu I lose it and more.

This time my true goal is learning how to just eat healthy normal foods and excercise that I can continue not just for the duration of the weight loss.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

Today was the first day in 2015 that I broke. I was tired, exhausted, and so was my boyfriend, D. We both were too tired to cook and have to get up early in the morning for work, so we went out for food.

We went to the local pub, and I knew on the way over that I would just order what ever I wanted and eat it all, and not care. I went in with the mindset that it was a choice; nothing to be guilty about, and to just enjoy it... and I did.

I ate a huge veggie burger with cheese and mushrooms, fries and gravy, and TWO pints of beer. I am SO full right now! It was delicious and I don't regret it. I don't do that kind of thing often, and it will be a while before it happens again. I've done a really great job of sticking to my plan for the past two months; one night won't undo everything.

I tracked it in my tracker. I'm over my cal budget for the day by about 600 calories. I knew that would be the case and I'm okay with it.

I just wanted to own up to it here I am going to eat fresh tomorrow and get an extra sweaty workout in at the gym. If this blows my weigh in this week, I accept it. It won't undo the 21 lbs I've lost since NYE, and I will persevere!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Good attitude Roxy!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry for forgetting to check in on Tuesday! Blergh. I'm just tired, lol. As soon as I get home from work I tend to deflate into the couch. Thanks everyone for the congratulations!!! I am a very happy girl so far!

Lynda: Great job on getting that walking in! It's cold here too, but the wind FINALLY was gone this morning. It's not really the cold air, it's the wind that'll getcha. Brrr! Great job on the stairs!

Epixi: Welcome!!!! I'm not sure if we've met before, but if not, I'm Terri! Calorie cycling always helped me before when I hit plateaus, so that seems like a very reasonable goal to me!

Roxy: 600 calories is really not bad, and sometimes I find that we all just need a day like that. Owning up to it is good, "log it and move on" as we say, and it'll even out in the long run. Nobody's perfect, and if it really helped perk you up, then the mental benefit can be worth it!! Great attitude

Debbie: Boooooo on the sore muscles! That comptuer gig at work really does suck, I'm right there with you. I hope foam roller/stretching does the trick, or perhaps a nice hot shower or bath. I know you won't let it keep you down too long

1) Continue to eat healthy, but do not count calories. Eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full M: yes T: Lunch was provided by work, which meant pizza. I probably ate too much, but I was hungry. I also ate a salad with it! And did not eat a cookie!
2) Make sure I get in my water - 64 oz at least, more is better M: definitely over 72 T: 64
3) Work out 20 minute DVD OR elliptical 30 minutes on low-impact at least twice this week M: not yet T: not yet
4) Remember my vitamin M: yes T: yes

My bloodwork all came back from the doctor normally, so that's good. Doc also scheduled another ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. It made DH nervous, but only because it wasn't originally scheduled. Doc said my 7 week ultrasound looked good, she just wants to make sure things are progressing normally given my history. Poor DH. He's worrying himself to death, he'll be all grey hair by the end of this

Need to teach in about 15 minutes, so I'll see all you lovelies later!

~Terri
Old 02-25-2015, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I stayed up with a good novel last night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.