Notices

Motivational Thread - Feb. 16 - 22 - Try something new!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 PM
FitDay Member

Good morning all Well it's Friday weigh day and I'm not down as much as I'd hopes, but I'm down and (according to my scale), I lost mostly body fat...06. fat and .1 lean tissue. So happy to have lost fat and preserved muscle which is exactly what I'm trying to do. I find tracking more information than just the scale number to be very motivating and enlightening. If it takes me longer doing what I'm doing, so be it....I want to change my body composition more than I want to see a lower number on the scale.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning! I dropped 2 pounds last night - hahaha!!!! Water retention and hormone imbalance are my nemesis. Anyone have experience with estrogen dominance? Down only .2 for the week, but I have a feeling I'll lose some more water weight today.

lildebbieg - What kind of scale do you have that tracks fat vs muscle loss? I have to get myself one
Old 02-20-2015, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hey everyone!

Debbie: Fantastic on checking on your health in so many ways and finding something that makes you feel great and confident. Slowly and surely always felt like me the best way to lose, because it felt real. If I was dropping five pounds in a day, I knew it was a wonky body thing and never trusted it. Half a pound a week always felt better in the long run, even if slow can be frustrating.

Lisa: Sometimes you just need to do one thing at a time. When I started my first big weight loss push a few years ago, all I did for two weeks was cut out soda and not eat fast food. I did zero else - didn't change my other eating habits, didn't log, didn't exercise. Then I started logging for a couple of weeks just to get used to it (didn't change eating habits, though). Then changed another thing and then another thing. Sometimes it's the best course, so don't beat yourself up too much. I'd recommend drinking more water (even if the flavor isn't palatable right now) to get rid of that dehydrated mouthfeel you've got going on. It'll start to feel better soon. Is the sugary taste you miss, or is it the fizziness of the drink (or both?)

Lynda: Thanks for the reminder about stress, lol! I try. I've been trying not to bring work home with me, which helps, though that'll be a no-go this weekend - I've got too many papers to grade, and an exam too. Blergh.

Annette: It's awesome when clothes start to fit! Way to go! I hope everything is okay with your tooth and you figure it out soon. Nothing more annoying than a nagging toothache.

Roxy: SO cold outside. This is the neverending winter (I'm sure I say that every year )

Pranava: Gotta love that estrogen. I don't have any experience with estrogen dominance, but I know it's so much easier for men to lose weight (in theory) - they don't know how good they have it

ohelp: You'll get that first pushup before you know it.

As for me: Sorry for not checking in yesterday, I had an unexpectedly hectic day and ended up needing to unwind last night (which I usually do by doing some sewing, away from a glowing screen!). Today seems to be going better, although it's COLD out there, and tonight I'm going to be having my first social event since I found out about my pregnancy. I'm a little worried that people will notice I'm not drinking - but then again, it's also none of their business (maybe I'll sip on some sprite with a lime in the glass, and no one will be the wiser).

It's an odd dynamic, isn't it? People will notice something is different and immediately speculate, while also exalting that everyone should mind their own business, lol. Oh well! I'll talk with hubs about any strategy that might need to happen, since we haven't announced anything and I don't want to invite questions. I'm an inherently private person.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Terri - The sprite and lime in a glass should do the trick. Even if you were to come up with some explanation for not drinking, you still could get someone insisting you have a drink....unless you outright say you're preggers. I think the sprite and lime would be easier on you than to have to squirm around nosy people

Pranava - It's a WW scale similar to this one. There are lots of these types of scales on the market. Some say these scales don't accurately track body fat because your hydration level can affect the reading. Since the scale I chose also reads hydration level, I can take that into account as well. Even if it isn't 100% accurate, I more interested in tracking the trend than to know my true body fat percentage. I've done a bit of reading on estrogen dominance...but really don't know enough to speak about it. If you learn anything, please share!

ohelp - love pushups! Such a great upper body and core exercise! Keep at it...you'll get there....and once you do you'll be so proud! I'm trying again to master a pullup. I was able to do only 2 in a row a few years ago, but stopped doing them so lost strength. Hoping to get strong enough to add these back into my workout rotation.

Roxy - Did you give into the cider last night? I hear ya on the frigid temperatures! It hasn't let up here in weeks! Oh I can't wait until Spring!

Lynda - Belly dancing sounds fun!! Any and all movement burns calories even if it's not formal 'exercise'. Plus it's important to enjoy what we do for movement

Lynda and Roxy - I'm so sorry for your losses. My father is not well....leukemia.....and it can be very difficult and scary to face. He's declining slowly...not sure if that's a blessing or a curse? It terrifies me to think what's to come...I do my best to keep it out of my thoughts...for now.

Annette - Wow! That's a lot of compliments!! So nice!

Lisa - That can be a slippery slope when we start gaining....I know all too well! Hope you're able to reign things in before you end up like me....5 lbs. over your high weight! Are you able to limit your diet soda consumption instead of cutting it out entirely? Maybe if you allow yourself 2 a day it will make it easier to stick to a better diet? I dunno....just thinking out loud...or I guess that would be typing what I'm thinking?!!?!

Have an awesome day all!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM
FitDay Member

Happy Friday everybody

I lost 2.2 for this week, which I'm happy with. With how much stress I've been experiencing, I am grateful my body is still losing at all. I tend to gain under stress... so this is good.

I'm also happy to have cracked the 1/4 mark towards my goal. I just restarted and already 1/4 of the way there. I know I still have much work ahead of me, but it feels manageable.

Debbie - No cider last night. I might have some tonight though
Also, sorry to hear about your Dad. I definitely know what you mean... my mom's passing was very slow, many months. A friend of mine's father passed in a moment, with no warning. We have talked about how both are so awful, and neither way is necessarily preferable, but they each have their own upside, too.

Terri - that is such a hard place to be in!! People are so funny... are we just curious (nosy) by nature?? hahaha. I think I would have not trouble covering it up to anyone who I wasn't close with/connected to, it would be if my friends or family started asking questions that would be hard. If people are noticing, maybe you're glowing??
Old 02-21-2015, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Roxy: Congrats on the loss!!! Great job No one has actually noticed my pregnancy yet except me (pants are a little tighter) and hubs, and I told my boss because of the timing as we prepare for next semester. No one else has said anything. Given that I'm overweight, I don't think I'm actually noticeably showing yet, and I don't think I'm glowing, unless by "glow" you mean "starting to get pimples" lol! But thanks!! Maybe I am and I just don't see it

Debbie: I ended up not needing the sprite with lime, which was good! I'm terrible at being deceptive...

We ended up arriving almost 20 minutes late for our social event last night (fashionably late?) due to the terrible road conditions + traffic on the roads. It was okay, though. We ended up being seated at a table with a couple other late-comers who were people I'd met before and we had a lovely conversation. Turns out the other people DH and I were sitting with (an older couple) were not drinking, so it was easy for me to say "just water for me too, please" without anyone batting an eye. It's harder if you're the only one not drinking, lol! DH just had one drink because it was on my college's dime, so why not?

I had a couple of crab rangoons for an appetizer (certainly NOT diet food, but they were very good) and then some nice udon noodle soup as my entree, with steamed chicken and lots of veggies. It was pretty good!

Ultrasound is bright and early Monday morning. I will be trying to distract myself with the piles of grading I have to do, but will check in tomorrow for sure! GET THAT WEEKEND, WARRIORS!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Happy weekend friends.

roxy - it is so cold here as well. fighting the urge to eat comfort foods and stay snuggled on the couch. did you go for your walk?

Terri - sounds like you had some fun and didn't have to worry about the drinking. My husband and I belong to a club but it is a family center and although there is a bar a lot of the older members or ones with their children that come do not drink. I am always the designated driver so I limit mine to maybe one or two at the most if we are there for the evening.

Lisa - it is so hard when we try to make lifestyle changes. maybe what some of the others suggested - try weaning yourself instead of cold turkey. just a thought.

Debbie - thanks for all the motivation. so sorry to hear about your Dad also. As Roxy said earlier no matter how it happens it is a hard thing to go thru. When my Dad was ill it was too hard for me to stay motivated or take the time to take care of myself. now I know he would want me to take care of myself so I am trying to get back to a healthy lifestyle.

ohelp - those are great exercises. The office girls did a plank challenge and had a little competitiion for our "Workout Wed" - i am not at that level YET!!
But still had fun trying to get on the floor was my exercise- lol

Annette- take all the compliments- you earned it!. Just inspires me to keep going those are the goals I'm working toward - to look nice in my clothes by Summer.

Hope everyone stays on track and has a healthy weekend!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, what do you teach? I am also a teacher!

It is so gorgeous outside, I absolutely MUST get myself out there before the sun escapes behind the mountains.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by paisleyjane
It is so gorgeous outside, I absolutely MUST get myself out there before the sun escapes behind the mountains.
Please do!! At least someone is enjoying some nice weather! What's that like!?!?!! Come on Spring!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the thoughtful comments about my father's health. He was diagnosed with leukemia 4 years ago (right after my mother finished treatment for uterine cancer!). We've had a lot of time to adjust I suppose. In the summer of 2013, they gave him a round of chemo....it quite literally nearly killed him! He ended up suffering from a temporary bout of dementia. We were all convinced that was it! He miraculously came back around and has been doing relatively well since. We felt blessed! I mean who can say their father came back from the brink! He's a tough man! However, recently things are declining. It scares me I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.