Notices

Motivational Thread - Dec 22 - 28 Tweaking our diets!

Old 12-25-2014, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

It used to be that I could almost tell you how much I would gain and lose according to hormones and food choices. A slice of ham was worth a 5 lb gain overnight and I would gain 1 lb a day in the week before my period, then lose it all in one day.
I avoid ham completely now and have done so for years. The hormone fluctuations are no longer on a monthly schedule but can be as long as 9 month apart.
I hate having no control over my body.

But then I can be a little like Dori only out of water. "Just keep walking, just keep walking."
Old 12-25-2014, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

Annette: Happy Birthday to your twins! Girls or boys?

My daughter will be 27 in just a few days--we usually take her out to eat and just buy a cake and some ice cream for her to have with her housemates--that way I get to avoid the temptation! Vicki
Old 12-25-2014, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

One of each, Vicki. They were babies #4 and 5 for me.
Second daughter was born a week before Christmas.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

Lots of December babies. My dads birthday is on the 29th and he will be 93.
I had my mom and sister over for lunch yesterday because they always eat there biggest meal at noon. I made cabbage roll casserole because it was easy for my mom to eat. For desert we had pie and ice cream. At my sister in laws she had the table spread with all sorts of gastronomical delights most of which I avoided and ate the plainer healthier foods. I still gained a pound.
Today I get to relax and be stress free.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

My son brought me low sodium baked cracker chips. I overindulged, but still managed to hold on.
I have now walked 2.75 three mornings in a row. My goal is to get to 4 miles a day by the end of Feb.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

I found a small half ham Smithfield brand for less per pound than another brand and we bought the Smithfield ham. I explained to my hubbie that I would bake it with no glaze this year but I offered to make him a sauce for it if he wished but he declined. Baked sweet potatoes, a modified green bean dish and a sugar-free cheesecake mousse completed my meal. The ham was tender, tasty and very low salt compared to others I looked at this year. I had heard they were good hams and this one did not disappoint! The cheesecake mousse was made with lowfat cream cheese, Greek yogurt, vanilla and lite CoolWhip. It was good and a hit with those who don't even like cheesecake generally. Served it with fresh blueberries and pecans. Vicki

Last edited by rosabella2012; 12-28-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

My husband works for J. M. Schneider's so we buy their meat products but their ham is very salty. I will look to see if we can get Smithfield hams here.
My weight is up but not as much as it could have been. I plan to drink more water today and get moving. That should help to reduce the swelling.
Annette, good job on the walking.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

Everything sounds great, Vicki. Well except for the pecans, but that is the nature of my allergies. I cringe when I even hear them mentioned.

I have been cooking right, making sure there is a vegetable, even when it is "too much like work." I have been conditioned by a husband who has used that phrase for almost all of the 38 years we have been together. I'm sick of who I have become.

I am a boredom snacker and we are in the longest days of the year. I try to focus on my computer and writing my stories in the evening.

Bonus feel good move yesterday, besides walking 2.75 miles for the third day in a row, I went shopping for pajamas.
I had just decided to keep my size 4X pajamas because no one sees them anyway, but the clothing store next to the drug store was having 50% off of Christmas items. I bought 2X pajamas. I was expecting 3X to fit, not 2X.
Unfortunately, I felt so good and so warm that I had trouble sleeping last night.

So what's most important, looking good or sleeping? I say looking good.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

I think I am going to have to go back to eating the way I was in the summer. Problem is that the fresh fruit and vegetables of then are not available.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

We're getting winter veggies like fresh citrus, greens, turnips, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions and potatoes in our CSA boxes now. They'll take a break to get new crops ready to put out in Jan and Feb and start again getting spring veggies in about mid- to late-March. We're loving the fresh veggies.

Plans are to increase water intake and veggies. Get moving more--Annette, you encourage me! Getting ready to start a new year! Vicki