Notices

Motivation and Accountability Sep 29 -Oct 5

Old 10-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Jenai: I love food too. I'm lucky in that full-fat creams make my stomach go wonky so I avoid them, but I love anything salty, or fried. I love comfort foods like mashed potatoes. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but a good ice cream when you're craving it is hard to beat (even if my stomach hates me later). I absolutely LOVE cheese and anything smothered in it. I bet a lot of us also love food - that might be part of the problem!

I think one of the biggest things for me has been portion control. I still eat full-fat foods a lot of the time, but just less of them. That way I get the taste I enjoy without letting the calories/fat go sky high. I don't fill half of my plate with mashed potatoes - it's a quarter of my plate, you know? I find veggies that I enjoy (I love green beans - they are a go-to for me -- I also love bell peppers, carrots, etc.) and put them on a larger part of my plate, and I put the veggies on the plate first. Little stuff like that helps a ton. I don't think ANYONE is "destined to be fat" -- it honestly sounds kind of like an excuse for bad behavior, and you know that you can do better! A little bit of fat and creaminess goes a long way in a meal.

You could eat more smaller meals (like you say, eating one big meal is very bad for your metabolism, blood sugar spikes, etc.) and it sounds to me like you need to do a little bit more meal planning.

Vicki: Thanks for spending your life helping others. It's a wonderful thing you've done, and I bet you've touched/helped so many lives. Good on you!

Christy: Looks like a great week for you! Good job!

Annette: Sounds like you're having a BUSY week - how did your burning go?

As for me:

Down to 178.0 this morning, so I think losing the bloat is continuing in a good direction. Phew There's something wrong with my right eye - it mostly feels fine, but when I put in my contact lenses in the morning/take them out in that eye, I get a terrible burny pain. I switched to a new lens (thinking it might just be old lens) but it persisted. I'm wondeirng if I might have a tiny corneal scratch or other irritations, so I am trying to wear my glasses today. My vision is TERRIBLE, and my glasses lens are very thick, so right now my world appears very curved and wonky as I adjust to having glasses on my nose rather than contacts in my eyes. Hopefully if I give my eye a rest this weekend, whatever is irritating it will have a chance to get outta there. If the pain persists into next week, I'll try to find a good opthamologist around here to take a peek. Corneal scratches are something I worry about a lot being a contact lens wearer. Blergh.

Yesterday DH and I had a nice movie night. I ate Chinese, but pretty healthy chinese- four steamed pork dumplings and wonton soup, which is usually one of the healthiest choices on the menu. I also had three bites of DH's sesame chicken (yes, I logged it, haha!). This weekend's weather looks like it's going to be pretty gross, and I have a TON of grading and reading to do, so I think I'll be a homebody this weekend!

I will be checking in though, and hope others do too!

Fitness Goals for this week:
1) Log everything that goes into my mouth. Try to keep it under 1500, but it's more important just to log it M: 955 T: 1,431 W: 1,452 Th: 1,321 F: 1,220
2) Water 64 oz. daily M: yes T: I don't think so W: yes Th: yes, barely F: No
3) In bed by 10:30 every night, NO EXCUSES. NONE. M: 10:29! T: no W: no Th: No - I need to do better! F: Still no, grrr.
4) Limit distractions at work. No Facebook/other websites except on lunch break (Fitday exception to log any food) M: I did limit, but I logged onto Facebook briefly a couple times in the afternoon T: yes! W: Only logged on FB once while I was waiting for a call to be returned Th: yes! F: I ended up on youtube for a long time looking for videos to show class, and got distracted.
5) Working out is a bonus goal. Log any workouts here.
6) Weigh in on Friday, good, bad, or ugly F: 178.6 -- I will TAKE it. I was worried I'd see 180 again.

Work-related goals (these are teaching and research-related goals, don't worry if they don't make sense!):
1) Monday: 339 Article write-ups graded and entered M: All but three, which I consider a win!
2) Tuesday: 339 Worksheets graded/entered; 157 quizzes graded T: Quizzes yes, worksheets no, because they're actually due Thursday (oops)
3) Wednesday: Poster introduction done/comments back to student on Methods/Results. Schedule phone meeting with student W: Comments to student and scheduling phone meeting done, also worked on a DIFFERENT paper as added, but not intro to first student's work. F: Nothing advanced on this
4) Thursday/Friday: head start on exam grading. Advanced W papers read. Th: I got 1/3 of all exams graded (the easy-to-grade parts). Papers are not read yet - this will be a weekend project. But I also got some good work on paper/posters with 2 students and 1 hr. phone conference. F: Exams and Advanced W papers over the weekend. I think my brain needed a break on Friday.

~Terri
Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for asking, Terri. I didn't start yet. I should have bit the bullet but since I had Writers Group on Wednesday night and was expected to read my story out loud, I thought I needed clear lungs. Then my Thursday excuse was that my husband and I were going out to a fancy dinner and I needed to be clear thinking for that. My Friday excuse was that I needed to cook up some fruits that were a little past their prime.

My new goal is to burn on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of next week. I don't expect to finish in four days because I don't intend to burn for more than 3 hours each day.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

Weather is sunny and clear but cool today--feels wonderful! Great cleaning weather and that's just what I'm doing.

I'm a survivor of childhood abuse and domestic violence. By working with other victims of DM, I felt I was showing them that life really could be better and lived without violence. Many victims think they will never heal emotionally and I want them to know they can heal! I also felt I was giving back in honor of those who had been there for me when I needed a shelter for me and my young daughter.

I KNOW I'm addicted to food! As a child growing up, food was the answer to everything that happened-- happy, sad or otherwise. And I kept that going well into my adult years. I grew up with a mother who binged and purged and a sister who did also. That just wasn't for me--I liked food to well to do that!

Like others, I have my favorite foods, like ice cream, carrot cake with nuts and cream cheese frosting, gooey cheeseburgers, pizza, pasta, chocolate anything, fried chicken and fish. None of these foods are inherrantly bad; they're just bad for me in that they keep me from getting to my nutritional and weight goals. chocolate has been pretty easy to limit and modify so it fits my plan, but the others, not so easy. Since I love fish and chicken just about anyway you fix them, I haven't missed the fried part really.

That reminds me, I gotta get my fish out to thaw! Have a good day, folks! We can do this--we CAN meet our goals--one hour, day, minute at a time--whatever it takes for us! Vicki
Old 10-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Banned

HI newbies

Jenai....fries are my weakness!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Kind of a terrible day. Our pantry runs out of food by Friday and dh usually stops at McD's and brings home some cheeseburgers for lunch on Saturdays. And I had a brownie. Baked Mexican Cornflake Chicken and rice for dinner, so that wasn't so bad. Oh, and I ripped a piece off a loaf of French bread. I don't know how to log the chicken. Well, the chicken I can log, but I don't know how to log the coating/topping. I've been really bad about logging.

I need to start exercising again, but I'm so afraid I'll hurt my back again. It would really help to offset some of the not so good things I eat, but I think it would also change my mindset. I think if I would put effort into exercising then I'd think twice about ruining my efforts. Maybe I'll just start with stretching.

Vicki, it sounds like you do some really good work. So glad you survived the abuse and are now teaching others that they can live again too.

Terri, thanks for the smack to the head. (in a sincere way). I probably am just making excuses. I'm just frustrated with myself. I know I can do better because I've done it before. I don't know what my hang up is this time. It does make it difficult, though, that I love cooking/eating what I cook so much. When I do well for myself I cook dinner, eat something else and watch my family eat the wonderful thing I cooked. It gets kind of sad! I know I know...find healthy recipes to cook! They just aren't the same. I'll just have to keep taking one day at a time.

Becca, I like fries too. Especially from 5 Guys!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Annette: You have a plan in place, so that's good! There's usually always something that could stop you, so stick to the plan!! You're so busy, sheesh. I feel like a lump on a log this weekend.

Vicki: I LOVE that positive attitude! Taking that attitude in every day is so helpful. I love that you say that none of these things are inherently bad - they're not! It's about the portions in which we eat them and WHY we eat them. MY husband has that book - Eat to Love ("Food is Fuel") and it's difficult sometimes to think of food that way, because I've used food as a comfort blanket my whole life. Good things? Food. Bad things? Food. Scary things? Food. Food is also such a huge part of any celebration (When you have a party, what's the first thing asked? "How many people - and what are we going to feed them?") that I think sometimes we don't realize how much revolves around food. For some people, it's easy navigation. For others, it's rough seas.

Addiction runs in my family. I have two uncles and an aunt who are "functioning alcoholics" and my sister has recently started going to AA meetings. Food, if anything, has been my addiction, but luckily I think I stopped it before it completely took over my life. I remember very vividly the day I decided I needed to stop - I had been "sneaking" food for months, having bags hidden in closets (usually Doritos) and going out to get fast food and eating in in the car before dinner, telling my husband I was in traffic when in reality I was sitting in the parking lot at work stuffing down french fries or whatever - and then going home and eating a full dinner, too. I never purged but I was starting to binge. Anyway, the day I decided to stop I had a McDonald's bag in my lap (per usual - it was the closest fast food to work) and I just stared down at myself. I had grease stains on my jeans, my shrt was too tight and pulling uncomfortably, I realized that it was no longer comfortable to sit in the driver's seat, and when I looked in the mirror there was food in my hair. I thought of myself as an animal right then. That was my turning point. But we all have stories like that, I'm sure. We all have good days and bad days and stops and starts, but I've never felt as cout-of-control as I did then, and that was a good thing. I could give lots of excuses about how stressful my life was at the time (and it was), but it would, at the end of the day, be that - an excuse for a budding addiction. Hopefully, it's nipped in the bud now!

Jenai: There is a category in the food menu for "Chicken - coated, baked or fried" and I often just enter that when I don't know how to log a coating. At least then I know it's taking some sort of coating into account (usually for the carb content). Starting with stretching is an excellent idea for working out! You could also try to do something very low-impact. Stationary bike, maybe? Less likely to throw out your back. Also, if McD's is a normal on Saturdays (it was that way growing up for me, too) you could always ask DH to bring you a salad instead of a cheeseburger!

Frustration happens. It's okay. Motivation can be really hard. I'm trying to remember what Debbie posted a couple of weeks ago - something about motivation not necessarily being necessary - it's determination that gets you through the long haul; that is, doing things when you're not motivated to do them. Doing things when motivated is far easier, but doing things when determined gets results!!

As for me:

I had a higher-cal day yesterday, but they were generally healthy calories (I did have a 130-calorie roll with dinner and three pieces of bacon with breakfast - but honestly, I don't think bacon is too terrible so long as we're not eating it every day. I also wipe as much grease off as possible when I cook it). Breakfast was a couple of eggs and bacon; I had a snack in the middle of the afternoon which was some leftover rice-and-veggies from a previous dinner (I should have eaten a protein with it, but oh well). Dinner was a pork chop with a green bean salad and the dinner roll. DH loves the way I make pork chops and we're eating pork more frequently - I am trying to avoid the pieces with fat as I eat, but I don't think I cook it in too much of an unhealthy manner -- I usually drizzle olive oil on both sides and rub it in, then just add seasoning (salt, pepper, various seasoning powders). I don't put any other fat in the pan to cook it with (no oil, no butter) other than the olive oil drizzled on both sides, and it sears perfectly before I stick it in the oven. Always comes out flavorful and juicy, never dry. I use any of the drippings from it to lightly saute the green beans (so I enter the green beans as "fat added in cooking").

I didn't get as much grading as I wanted to get done yesterday, blergh, so today will be busy for me! Off I go! Grading and football watching, haha!

Fitness Goals for this week:
1) Log everything that goes into my mouth. Try to keep it under 1500, but it's more important just to log it M: 955 T: 1,431 W: 1,452 Th: 1,321 F: 1,220 Sat: 1,607
2) Water 64 oz. daily M: yes T: I don't think so W: yes Th: yes, barely F: No Sat: yes
3) In bed by 10:30 every night, NO EXCUSES. NONE. M: 10:29! T: no W: no Th: No - I need to do better! F: Still no, grrr. Sat: No. Yuck. I fell asleep on the couch.
[/COLOR]4) Limit distractions at work. No Facebook/other websites except on lunch break (Fitday exception to log any food) M: I did limit, but I logged onto Facebook briefly a couple times in the afternoon T: yes! W: Only logged on FB once while I was waiting for a call to be returned Th: yes! F: I ended up on youtube for a long time looking for videos to show class, and got distracted. Sat-Sun: N/A
5) Working out is a bonus goal. Log any workouts here.
6) Weigh in on Friday, good, bad, or ugly F: 178.6 -- I will TAKE it. I was worried I'd see 180 again.

Work-related goals (these are teaching and research-related goals, don't worry if they don't make sense!):
1) Monday: 339 Article write-ups graded and entered M: All but three, which I consider a win!
2) Tuesday: 339 Worksheets graded/entered; 157 quizzes graded T: Quizzes yes, worksheets no, because they're actually due Thursday (oops)
3) Wednesday: Poster introduction done/comments back to student on Methods/Results. Schedule phone meeting with student W: Comments to student and scheduling phone meeting done, also worked on a DIFFERENT paper as added, but not intro to first student's work. F: Nothing advanced on this
4) Thursday/Friday: head start on exam grading. Advanced W papers read. Th: I got 1/3 of all exams graded (the easy-to-grade parts). Papers are not read yet - this will be a weekend project. But I also got some good work on paper/posters with 2 students and 1 hr. phone conference. F: Exams and Advanced W papers over the weekend. I think my brain needed a break on Friday.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

People are always telling me that I do too much, but I feel like I am hardly doing anything at all. I just never remember a time in my life where I didn't have several things going.

Vicki, some of the reason behind my busyness stems back to abuse.

I flopped yesterday because I didn't put thought into dinner. I cooked what was easy and although I didn't choose anything bad, it was tasteless and unsatisfying, so I ate too much.

Fish tonight.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Today, at the last minute, I decided I wanted a chef salad for lunch and sliced up some beef and turkey from the deli. When I went to log foods in and looked at nutritional stats, I realized the deli meat had a higher carb content than I prefer to eat and I realized, it might be meat but it's also processed! And it never crossed my mind until I went to log it in! I try to stay away from processed foods and ate them today without even thinking about it! Just goes to show you, old habits can creep in unless we're hypervigilant. Ok, time to reflect and PLAN to do better tomorrow! Vicki
Old 10-05-2014, 03:56 PM
FitDay Member

Terri, even though you said you were higher-cal, it doesn't sound like you made nutritionally poor choices. I had pork chops for dinner tonight. A few months ago I started cooking them in the crock pot. I get the really lean chops with all the fat cut off (boneless). Usually 8 of them for my family. For 8 pork chops I cut up 1 whole onion into slices. I put 2 c water and 2 packets of mushroom gravy in the bottom with half of the onions. Then I put a layer of meat topped with the other 1/2 onions and then the remaining 4 chops. I cook them on high for about 4-5 hours, depending on the thickness. They come out super tender and flavorful with no fat added. Just a suggestion for a new way to try chops. I will probably not go back to baking them now.

Vicki,
don't worry about 1 slip up on processed meats. I'm sure if you look, though, there are probably some higher end brands of deli meat that aren't processed. I buy Natural Choice deli meats (by the bologna in the refrigerated section) because they have no added nitrates or nitrites. I'm sure the meat is still processed, but if you look around I bet you can find something. Eating whole, unprocessed foods is always the best choice, but I don't think it will hurt too much if you slip up once in a while.

I am optimistic about next week. This morning I woke up craving oatmeal. So I had 1/2 c quick oats in 1 c milk, 2 tsp stevia, 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon and maybe about 1 Tbsp of raisins. I know it's kind of high calorie, but it's filling and healthy and if it fills me up and gives me a feeling of satisfaction then that may save me from some poorer choices later in the day. Then I decided to prepare ahead of time. One of the reasons I don't eat breakfast every morning is because it's a pain to get everything out, dirty the measuring cups/spoons and put everything back away. So I sat at the kitchen table and made snack baggie packets of oatmeal. About 1/2 the recipe I ate today...each one has 1/4 c oats, 2 tsp raisins, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp Stevia and a dash of cinnamon to each baggie. Now I can grab one or two, depending on how hungry I am, get the milk and make it quick and easy. I was happy with myself for doing that.

That was my win for the day.