Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread, August 25-31 - Let's finish August Strong!! >

Motivational Thread, August 25-31 - Let's finish August Strong!!

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread, August 25-31 - Let's finish August Strong!!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Did about 30 min of weeding this morning and 15 min trimming bushes this aft. Arms are sore...done for the day!!
Jenn
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
FitDay Member

I didn't make myself say no to anything today. I am just out of control. I know I keep saying this, but I've got to get a grip.

Feeling guilty and ashamed of myself.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

I am jealous of all you labor-day-ers with your long weekend!! I have to work on Labor Day and my students have to go to class on Labor Day, but all the administrative staff is off. I think it has something to do with how professors are classified under law, but I don't get the day off, haha! It's been that way for a few years so I am used to it, but it still stinks! Me and Annette will be over here, working! (Annette, when I have animals in the lab, it's the same thing for me. The animals don't know it's a holiday, or Christmas, or someone's birthday. They've gotta be taken care of!).

Annette: DH and I are lucky enough that normally paycheck-to-paycheck isn't 100% our lifestyle. We were both out of work for the month of August, and while we had savings, towards the end of the month we were really feeling it, and he's still not working due to his need to buy some expensive equipment, so we REALLY needed my paycheck! Once we're both working steadily again it should ease up. I don't make as much as people think I do being a college professor (you don't go into it for money), but we do okay for ourselves. We're also without kids or pets, which would stretch the budget even more. I don't know if I could ever be an entrepreneur for the reason you describe -- unpredictibility of pay. I like my predictible once-a-month pay deposit and knowing exactly how much is going to be in it! Have fun with your graddaughter this weekend!

Jenn: Sounds tiring! You're gonna have killer arms!

Jenai: It's one day. It's okay. Don't let those feelings overwhelm you - just pick yourself up and dust yourself off. *hugs* for you!

As for me:

Yesterday wasn;t obviously my best day , but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. I was very hungry. I've had a couple to too-low cal days this week and it caught up with me, but I overate mindfully, if that makes sense. I brought in a larger lunch today and told myself "I'll eat until I'm full" and I ate slowly to gauge how full I was - I eventually ate the whole thing, because I honestly wasn't full until then (or even after, I was still hungry)! I then had a meeting fellow newbie professors at my institution. I had one mixed drink (peer pressure ) and some snacks, including a crab cake and an asparagus thing. I had to estimate my calories there, and for the drink, because I don't know what was in it or at what proportions (I only remember vodka and grapefruit juice along with some other things).

THEN, on my way home, hubby called and asked me to pick up dinner. The only thing on the way home is Sonic (blergh) which has ZERO healthy options. I got him what he wanted, but I did NOT get myself anything. I cooked myself some tomato soup and a sandwich for dinner as we still haven't gone grocery shopping (that'll happen today) and there's not much around the house, so I got blasted with sodium from the canned soup, but I am proud of myself for getting no fast food. I figured it would be a high-cal day, but I've logged it and moved on, and hopefully will work that sodium out of my system today.

Weekly Goals
1) Water intake 64 oz+ daily (post number) M: No, Roughly 40 oz. T: yes, 72 oz. W: just squeaked in 64 oz. Th: 80 oz. F: 64 oz.
2) Calories, post daily numbers and weekly averages. Aiming for under 1500 daily and weekly M: 1,316 (estimated dinner) T: 1,117 W: 1,429 Th: 1,155 Th: 1,875 (estimated drink and snacks)
3) Workout cardio 3x M: no, got home late T: yes W: no Th: yes F: no
4) Workout strength 1-2x (pick a day that looks good) M: no T: no W: no Th: no F: no
5) Weigh in DAILY and post on the daily thread M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes F: yes
6) Eat mindfully (while I'm posting calories too, this goal really got to me when I had it, so I'm bringing it back!) M: yes, and this goal helps! T: very yes. W: yes. This goal helped me from making a very bad decision yesterday. Th: yes F: mostly
7) ADDED GOAL: Protein 20% or more of daily calories M: 20% T: 29%! W: 22% Th: 23% F: 15%

Have a good weekend everyone! I'll be here!

~Terri
Old 08-30-2014, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

"You're gonna have killer arms!" I wish!! Well the pain is certainly killing me--kind of burning. And I'm cracking like you would not believe!
Supposed to rain for the next 4 days--yucky long weekend. Will mean that I will have to cut the grass again probably. UGH never ending.

Jenn
Old 08-30-2014, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Jenn, I recommend horse liniment for muscle aches. One of my work out instructors, way back when I could do a two hour work out, suggested it and I found it so soothing. Still, pace yourself with yard work. Gym workouts are so much easier with fewer reps.

Janai, speaking of horses, get on up and get back on. You can do it.

Terri, I'm not actually working yet. I am only doing jobs that allow me the opportunity to back off if I need to. My daughter isnt' thrilled that I am not vaccinating the animals. Problem is, once you open a bottle, you have to give 500 vaccines in the two hours to follow. No putting it in the fridge if you get too tired. I could probably do it, but it would be costly if I couldn't.

I understand overeating mindfully. I often look at my dinner plate after having read some of the menus on here and wonder. But my plate is overfilled with vegetables, which is low in carbs and even lower in calories. One of my go-to raw veggies is celery. If I feel like munching, I can eat a whole celery plant.

I didn't walk again today. If I get my daughter's van cleaned out and my own (I think I will go to a car wash to vaccum mine) I will stop off at Campbell Valley for a walk. I haven't been there in years.

My gang went out for Sushi last night, after I had already started cooking for five. As a result I have a ton of leftovers. Tonight I will cook up a chickens soup/stew and still make dumplings, but I have to have two pots. One gluten free and one regular flour. I won't add meat, just veggies, so those needing protein will have to eat leftovers.

I bought some coconut vinegar last night. Fermented coconut water. I am actually allergic to anything fermented. I get a rash if I take in too much. But I will try it with my granddaughter here. If she likes it, I will send the bottle home with her. I need to decide how to try it. Probably a homemade coleslaw with coconut vinegar.

Off to get on with my day. Oh yeah, I have lost 2.2 lbs since Monday.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM
FitDay Member

Terri, that's fantastic to not order anything while you're already there for hubby! I definitely wouldn't have that kind of will power. Good for you.

Annette, The way you cook something different for all the people in your family remind me of the days when my daughter was vegetarian, and I made 2 dinners every night. Did that for 6 years, then when she moved out she decided not to be a vegetarian anymore. You definitely have more restrictions to deal with though. Don't know how you do it.

I didn't eat too much today. I kept looking to see if anything magically appeared, but the cupboards and pantry are bare. I resisted having a pb&j (or two is more like what I was thinking). But that was my "no" for the day. Dinner was good, but I really wanted more of it. Just so I wouldn't eat it all I hurried and put the leftovers in the freezer for another night.

My grocery is having a big sale on boneless skinless Foster Farms chicken this week...buy 1 get 2 free!!! The last time they did that I brought home 2 paid for and 4 free packages of great quality chicken, and I've just now used up the last of it. I want to buy 3 and get 6 free, but I don't think my freezer is big enough.

This next week will be a HUGE challenge. I'm going to be baking a batch of 6 different things. My daughter, who is a photographer, is coming over to take food pics for me and so I need to have a variety of stuff to shoot. I'll be sending quite a lot of it home with her. I'm pretty sure I'll over-indulge though. Although, my other daughter starts softball on Thursday night with a skills clinic, so maybe I should take some things there with business cards and pass out free samples. That's a good idea. I'll have to see if she can come over Wednesday so that the baked stuff is still fresh for Thursday.

I'm still at 240, and that was after dinner, so my weight hasn't gone up any further (thank God!) and maybe even down by a few ounces. That's a nice thought. I'll keep that hope alive! lol
Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Jenn: Pain just means you're building up that muscle tissue, as long as you didn't pull anything!

Annette: Sorry your DD doesn't see that you're doing what you can. That must be very frustrating. Family dynamics are so hard. You just keep doing you!! And I really need to work more on the veggies. I often have them for lunch, but DH doesn't like most vegetables and so we don't eat a ton with our dinner (often meat and starch). I should just cook them for me, it's just a pain in the butt. But given the menus you plan, it's inspiring to see what can be done if I stop giving myself excuses. Great job this week!

My go-to snacks are apples! I sometimes do celery with peanut butter for satisfying fat and protein.

Jenai: Thanks for the kudos! I think it also helped that I had just gotten off the phone with my sister (I didn't mention this before) and I had mentioned going to pick up dinner for DH and she said "Ugh, Sonic? Nothing healthy for you! Cook something good when you get home!" and just that little reminder made me feel better about my choice, felt like I had someone in my corner!

Great job on saying no!!!! I think sending snacks to whomever will take them is a fabulous idea, get 'em out of the house and further, out there for people to enjoy and look forward to buying more! If you go in with the mindset that you're going to overindulge, you're seeing yourself up and giving yourself excuses already. Go in there with the mindset that you don't need it. That's my advice!

As for me:

I'm going to continue being a weekend-posting warrior

I didn't get to the gym to work out yesterday as it was thunderstorming heavily all day and I didn't want to walk across the complex in it. It was enough that I went grocery shopping in it, haha! It looks to be threatening again today, so once I wake up entirely and my blood pressure stabilizes I'll head over to the gym. I don't often work out in the morning due to my blood pressure issues, but as long as I'm feeling stable and monitor my dizziness during the workout, I should be okay.

I've lost 3.8 lbs. this month total with some bouncing around. It's not quite what I was hoping for, but I can still make my larger goal of 20 lbs. by Christmas (if not more) AND it's in the right direction, and I feel like I'm getting my mojo back.

Weekly Goals
1) Water intake 64 oz+ daily (post number) M: No, Roughly 40 oz. T: yes, 72 oz. W: just squeaked in 64 oz. Th: 80 oz. F: 64 oz. Sat: No, 48 oz.
2) Calories, post daily numbers and weekly averages. Aiming for under 1500 daily and weekly M: 1,316 (estimated dinner) T: 1,117 W: 1,429 Th: 1,155 Th: 1,875 (estimated drink and snacks) Sat: 1,323
3) Workout cardio 3x M: no, got home late T: yes W: no Th: yes F: no Sat: no - rain
4) Workout strength 1-2x (pick a day that looks good) M: no T: no W: no Th: no F: no Sat: no
5) Weigh in DAILY and post on the daily thread M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes F: yes Sat: yes
6) Eat mindfully (while I'm posting calories too, this goal really got to me when I had it, so I'm bringing it back!) M: yes, and this goal helps! T: very yes. W: yes. This goal helped me from making a very bad decision yesterday. Th: yes F: mostly Sat: yes
7) ADDED GOAL: Protein 20% or more of daily calories M: 20% T: 29%! W: 22% Th: 23% F: 15% Sat: 17%
Old 08-31-2014, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

What I am doing now is nothing compared to when all the kids were home. Allergies are in my family, so this is what we live with.
One of my son's has an overactive gag reflex, which is a rare side effect of the meds he was on for the first 9 months of his life, and dh is just fussy, even though he swears he will eat anything. Yep, he will eat anything he likes, but nothing new.
He likes mustard, which I don't, and he likes salmon, as long as it's boneless, but he turned his nose up at the two together. I won't be using that recipe again.

Enough complaining, except about the weather. I woke my granddaughter up to help clean the van, but it started pouring rain outside. So much for that and walking. So I puttered around the house doing bits here and there.

Dinner was good, too good. I put on a pot of chicken breast frames for homemade broth. At dinner time I used 8 cups of that broth, divided into two pots. I added onions, carrots, celery, yams, and leeks. One pot had some leftover tomato sauce added, and my leftover salsa. The other pot had leftover black beans added.
Then to the black bean pot, I dropped in spoonfuls of gluten free, dairy free, egg free buscuit dough. Part way through cooking I turned the buscuits to cook the other side.
The tomato pot multigrain buscuits. Only there were more of them so I couldn't turn them. I put the whole pot in the oven to brown the tops.
I didn't hear any complaints about dinner. My granddaughter actually said it was good. My husband only mentions anything if he didn't like it. My daughter said it was tasty, and my son, as usual, made himself something else.

Too much leftovers though. And I think my cooking raised the scale this morning.

Tonight I am cooking up an old favorite for our family. Kind of a beef chili, with all the spices, but no tomato. Potatoes for dh and dgd, tortillas for the rest of us.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

And to finish up for Sunday...

Weekly Goals
1) Water intake 64 oz+ daily (post number) M: No, Roughly 40 oz. T: yes, 72 oz. W: just squeaked in 64 oz. Th: 80 oz. F: 64 oz. Sat: No, 48 oz. Sun: 72 oz. and one more glass before bed

Reaction to this goal: I did well on water this week. This is because I bought a new water container and can fill up at work without worrying about it. I'm also thinking about it all the time!

2) Calories, post daily numbers and weekly averages. Aiming for under 1500 daily and weekly M: 1,316 (estimated dinner) T: 1,117 W: 1,429 Th: 1,155 Th: 1,875 (estimated drink and snacks) Sat: 1,323 Sun: 1,485 Week Average: 1,385 This is a GREAT number for me to be at for a weekly average!

Reaction to this goal: One bad day does not a week make. Thrilled with this goal this week. Had a couple of days where I was almost too low, but I am not against calorie cycling. My weight bounces this week followed days where I had high sodium or had a drink, so need to watch that.

3) Workout cardio 3x M: no, got home late T: yes W: no Th: yes F: no Sat: no - rain Sun: yes!

Reaction to this goal: I got it done! I adjusted this goal to be 3x instead of MWF, and I pulled it out today (Sunday). First time I've pulled it out, so happy!

4) Workout strength 1-2x (pick a day that looks good) M: no T: no W: no Th: no F: no Sat: no Sun: no

Reaction to this goal: Not gettin' this done and mad about it. I really need to pick a day.

5) Weigh in DAILY and post on the daily thread M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes F: yes Sat: yes Sun: yes

Reaction to this goal: I honestly didn't know if I would like this goal or not - I've never weighed daily as I was worried I'd get obsessive. Instead, I'm curious about it in the morning, and it's keeping me from being completely surprised for bounces. I'll keep with it as long as it feels like a positive thing to do!

6) Eat mindfully (while I'm posting calories too, this goal really got to me when I had it, so I'm bringing it back!) M: yes, and this goal helps! T: very yes. W: yes. This goal helped me from making a very bad decision yesterday. Th: yes F: mostly Sat: yes Sun: yes, and needed it!

Reaction to this goal: A keeper for many reasons. It's really sticking with and resonating with me

7) ADDED GOAL: Protein 20% or more of daily calories M: 20% T: 29%! W: 22% Th: 23% F: 15% Sat: 17% Sun: 24%

Reaction to this goal: More green than red! That's new and happy! Eventually I want to push this to 25%, but I want to get 20% consistently first, so I'll keep this goal for next week. Having this goal helps prevent me from overloading on carbs.