Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread, August 25-31 - Let's finish August Strong!! >

Motivational Thread, August 25-31 - Let's finish August Strong!!

Notices

Motivational Thread, August 25-31 - Let's finish August Strong!!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
FitDay Member

can I come back in? I got some inspiring words tonight from a good friend about what you do with yourself after you fall off the wagon is the important thing. Wallow in it? Or get back on? I will need to take baby steps, but I want to get back on.

Tomorrow I am going to have at least one, and maybe even two, of my very favorite Atkins shakes/milk instead of something horrible. I will omit at least 1 horrible thing from my day tomorrow. I've redeveloped my taste for high calorie things and I've been giving in to temptation far too often...more often than not.

I've been craving sugar and carbs like crazy. Hopefully, as in the past, the Atkins shakes/milk will help curb my sugar cravings.

I'm terrified to step on the scale. I don't want to face the cold hard facts of the damage I have done. I need to get some control again. I've been spiraling madly out of control for at least a month.

It will take me a few days to catch up on everyone. I will try to get back in the habit of posting at least once a day again.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Annette: Awesome job getting your walk in. It is beastly hot here - we're alternating between high humidity and thunderstorms. Your dinner sounds DELICIOUS

Bea: Nothing like a new set of eyes! I was waiting to change a prescription for a very long time because I had to wait until I could buy new glasses on my prescription plan (you're right, thank goodness for insurance, but BOO to only being able to buy new eyes once every two years!). Glad you're taking care of yourself! I don't wanna clean either, LOL! I love it!

Becca: Great job getting your work in

Debbie: D'oh! Those chips!! Log it and move on, right? Sometimes my body surprises me, I post a terrible day and then a loss anyway. Crossing my fingers for you

Jenn: Of COURSE you can come back in! TO me, you never left, we're all here and I'm rooting you on! Sometimes we take a break from it, get off the wagon, fall off the wagon, run away from the wagon.... but coming back is the hardest part, right? Making that decision and facing up to whatever it is that we're mad or upset about, and deciding to change it. So good for you! I think we all know what it's like to start craving those foods again. It's hard. Step on the scale when you're ready, but we're here! Happy to see you!

As for me:

I had a very good day yesterday numbers-wise, although my cals were, for me, probably TOO low (I usually like to be above 1200) and I am expecting to be hungry today. It's okay because I can anticipate it, and I'm going to have to plan carefully. It was also day 2 of cutting out some dairy from my diet - I had no dairy at all with breakfast, and a small amount of cheese with lunch. Dinner was tacos, so there was some cheese sprinkled on top, but I measured it carefully to be 1/4 cup of cheese across the tops of the 3 smallish tacos I ate. I am craving cereal for breakfast this morning, but I think I am going to do what I did yesterday (a couple of eggs) instead to try to keep the milk out of my diet, just to see if the low-dairy thing is helping. I also changed one of my goals to working out 3x this week from working out MWF, since it looks like it's going to bw T/Th/S instead!

My calves are very sore from working out yesterday (I forgot to stretch them post-workout) but I'll walk it off. I matched my previous low from this month and would LOVE to be in the 170s by the end of the month. I'm so close - half a lb. and I'm there! I can do it! Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Weekly Goals
1) Water intake 64 oz+ daily (post number) M: No, Roughly 40 oz. T: yes, 72 oz.
2) Calories, post daily numbers and weekly averages. Aiming for under 1500 daily and weekly M: 1,316 (estimated dinner) T: 1,117
3) Workout cardio 3x M: no, got home late T: yes
4) Workout strength 1-2x (pick a day that looks good) M: no T: no
5) Weigh in DAILY and post on the daily thread M: yes T: yes
6) Eat mindfully (while I'm posting calories too, this goal really got to me when I had it, so I'm bringing it back!) M: yes, and this goal helps! T: very yes.
7) ADDED GOAL: Protein 20% or more of daily calories M: 20% T: 29%!

~Terri
Old 08-27-2014, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome back Jenai. The wagon has a spot |__| << right there, come on up

I can't wait for my new "eyes" They're PURPLE (naturally) and oh so purdy.

The other pair (progressives) are tortoise shell, for when I feel brainy chic
Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning all

Jenai - Glad to see your post this morning! It's not the same around here without you! Happy you found some inspiration and are taking baby steps back to the wagon. That wagon ride is a bumpy one and no doubt we will all take our turns falling off of it, but I like to think we're all here to hold out a hand to help each other back on when needed.

Terri - No chips for me! I don't even dare keep chips in my house....I would devour them!! By baked tortilla I meant I literally back some tortilla I spray a flour tortilla with a little olive oil spray then dress it up with some herbs and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese then bake it in the oven until it turns toasty brown. It's a relatively healthy snack, but that paired with air popped popcorn put me way over on carbs as recommended in 21 Day Fix. Yeppers...logged it in my journal...brushed off the crumbs (literally...LOL!) and moving right along

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

to Janai

Terri, its hot here too, probably not as hot as where you are, but it is more than I am used to.

Bea, I'll remember that. Purple.

No walk today, I slept till 8. Watching weather right now and they say it will not be as warm tomorrow. I'll walk tomorrow.
Still going to make my recycle run later. It will have to be afternoon because I woke up in the night and discovered my son still awake and he is parked behind me.
I have a cardiologist appointment this afternoon. Now I will find out if there is any lasting damage to my heart.
Unfortunately that appointment interferes with dinner. Cooking it. I am getting take out for my family and I will precook something for me, or put together left overs. I won't let scheduling ruin my eating habits.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, thank you for the "welcome back". I appreciate it. Why no dairy?

Bea, thank you for keeping a spot for me. Getting new eyes is always nice, and it sounds like you are expressive with yours.

Debbie, Thank you for welcoming me back.

Annette,
I hope your appointment goes well.

I had a sweet tooth last night (as I always do these days), so I made a dozen blueberry crumb muffins. I did the calculations just now and discovered that each little muffin is *gulp* 292 calories. That's for a standard muffin with no spill-over on top (just puffed up a little). I about had a heart attack.

I said "no" to my soda craving this morning. But I didn't say no to a breakfast sandwich. I'm not unhappy about that. They are not many more calories than if I had made one at home. So, I met one goal so far today of saying no to at least one thing, and I'm going to try for one more thing today.

I'm going to be way over on my calories today because of the muffins, but it's day 1 back and I knew I wouldn't be perfect on the first day.

on a personal note, I finally found a hobby that suits me and my hands (I have carpal tunnel that prevents me from doing handwork of any type that I love so much). I've been struggling with a way to express my creativity for quite a long time. I used to be an avid scrapbooker, but gave up all my supplies and paper in a sudden move, and I never had the desire to start all over again investing in tools and supplies after that.

I discovered the solution...Digital Scrapbooking! All the beauty of scrapbook pages without any of the mess or storage problems of the tools and paper. I started out with the free version of the software, and downloaded a lot of graphics from their Free section. Then, once I discovered how fun it is, I bought some pages and embellishments from the $1 section and sale section. Once I get enough pages done, I will start uploading them to MyMemories.com and getting them printed in 12x12 books.

I started the looooong process of scanning in multitudes of photos (about 14 years worth before digital cameras). Last night I finished scanning in the first shoe sized box, and that one alone was several hundred pics. I've got about 8 of those boxes, plus a moving box full of photos left to scan.

It has been so much fun to do these. Here are a few examples to show off some of what I've done. a couple pages of 3 of my kids in younger days and a page of my amazing dh (some from a long time ago, some not so long ago...he ages incredibly well. Hardly looks any older from 20 years ago.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sand Page.jpg (84.2 KB, 6 views)
PioneerParkPage.jpg (53.1 KB, 5 views)
zdhpage.jpg (62.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

I have to go for more tests. The doc was kind and said that the echocardiogram was inconclusive because of a big bust, but it is really fat. So now I get the radioactive version.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Debbie: I know what you mean about chips (see below). Ugh, salty snacks. Your solution sounds very nice though! I usually don't try stuff like that and I really should.

Annette: Wednesday provided some relief from the humidity, at least (it was still hot, but far more 'comfortable' heat). I originally grew up in New England and am now in the Midwest, so I'm used to SOME hot, but anything over 85-90 and I complain a lot. DH is from the South and thus is more tolerant of those hot days (but hates the snow - well, who am I kidding? We both dislike lots of snow. All the shoveling! It's a good workout but BLECK!). Good luck on your next EKG - I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes!

Jenai: Well, not NO dairy for me, but I'm trying to go lower dairy. I went back over my logs from when I was losing steadily before a long break (I had hit 156 as a low) and one thing that jumped out at me from my old logs and my current logs was an overall lack of dairy - not a lot of cheeses, creams, etc. I still ate it, but it was far less than the way I'm eating it now (DH and I have taken to eating fresh cheese slices as snacks, and I'd also started making more milk-based sauces and such), so this week and in the future (if it seems to be working) I'm trying to be more conscious about my dairy choices. I've heard that dairy can often cause bloat, and cheeses are full of saturated fats, so I'm wondering if cutting it down will help!

Good on you for "saying no"!!!! Little steps at the beginning are the best. You'll make another step and another step and soon you'll be outpacing the wagon I LOVE your scrapbooking pictures, what a great idea to just do it in digital form. I particularly love the first one with the embellishments, but they're all great! Finding happiness there will translate to happiness elsewhere! You remind me I should start my sewing again in earnest.

As for me:

Relatively good day yesterday. Had a high-carby dinner (pasta again - can you tell DH and I are waiting on a paycheck?), this time with chicken breast rather than shrimp, and a red sauce. DH was kind enough to write down what he cooked with (how much oil etc.) so that I could estimate the calories a little better, and I also had a glass and a half of wine -- as apparently he felt like lighting candles and bringing me a glass while I was on the couch looking over some class materials, how could I say no? It was cute and sweet. I am dog-tired today - a couple of nights ago I stayed up about 2 hours later than normal and I think it's still killing me. But I have a gym visit planned and it WILL happen!

My eating mindfully goal, I think, also saved my bacon yesterday. As I predicated, I was STARVING. Breakfast and lunch went okay, but at about 4:30 I started to get hungry enough that I felt like I could eat my shoes. I had a lot of students visit my office yesterday and so ended up staying at work about an hour later than intended. When I got home, DH was in the middle of writing and didn't want to be bothered (he was "in the zone!") and so I settled down to start some class stuff, when my stomach was loud enough to be heard in the next county. At about 6:30 I just got up and walked over to the pantry and opened it, and there staring me in the face was a bag of potato chips! EEK! I usually don't keep them in the house (DH bought them) and it was already opened and everything. Salty snacks are my Achilles heel.

My hand snatched out for them, but I remembered "eat mindfully" -- which to me means having your mind on WHAT you are eating and WHY you are eating it, and I reminded myself that dinner would be soon (DH wanted to cook), and that I was reaching for chips because I was hungry and being impulsive, and that I wasn't going to die if I waited another half hour or so.

I grabbed a SINGLE chip (for satisfying mouthfeel) and then retreated quickly back to the couch with a glass of water, which I downed. And then about 10 minutes later DH came out with the wine (and being a sweetheart), so I felt like I got a reward, haha! Wine has calories too, but I felt way better about them and drank it mindfully (I knew WHY I was drinking it). So that goal is totes a keeper for me!

Weekly Goals
1) Water intake 64 oz+ daily (post number) M: No, Roughly 40 oz. T: yes, 72 oz. W: just squeaked in 64 oz.
2) Calories, post daily numbers and weekly averages. Aiming for under 1500 daily and weekly M: 1,316 (estimated dinner) T: 1,117 W: 1,429
3) Workout cardio 3x M: no, got home late T: yes W: no
4) Workout strength 1-2x (pick a day that looks good) M: no T: no W: no
5) Weigh in DAILY and post on the daily thread M: yes T: yes W: yes
6) Eat mindfully (while I'm posting calories too, this goal really got to me when I had it, so I'm bringing it back!) M: yes, and this goal helps! T: very yes. W: yes. This goal helped me from making a very bad decision yesterday.
7) ADDED GOAL: Protein 20% or more of daily calories M: 20% T: 29%! W: 22%

~Terri
Old 08-28-2014, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

Wow Terri!!! You showed great restrain by eating only 1 chip!! I don't think I could have stopped at 1!! Good job! You husband sounds like such a sweetheart...it also sounds like you know that and appreciate his efforts I really should follow your lead and try to eat more mindfully. I end up eating snacks and having wine in the evenings too often. I think I use it as sort of a reward for getting through another hectic day...if that makes sense? The kicker is I end up undoing all the good I did that day. I need to find a different way to reward myself

Jenai - Your scrapbooking pages are so nice!!! I just recently bought myself a new camera and having been taking more pictures than usual. I should try online scrapbooking too!!

Annette - What is the radioactive version? Do they have to inject dye or something?

Have a good day all!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

I was having chest pains all day yesterday. They were intermittent, so I didn't think of using the Nitro spray. I was planning to tell the doctor, but when she told me she was taking an in office ECG, I let it go. I thought it would show up if there was a problem. No problem. I still told her.
She suggested that if it happens again, try the nitro just to prove to myself that it is something else.
Having chest pains are not uncommon for me. I have them when I am at the good part of one of my novels, which, in a way, I am right now. My heroine is in love with brothers and has to make a decision. Hurt one, love the other, or walk away. I have made my decision, but now I have to write the ending.

The other test is a Gallium scan where they inject radioactive dye into my veins and take pictures after. The dye will end up spreading through my whole body, settling in my intestines for a while before leaving my body through conventional means. I wonder if I should go camping and bury it in the woods.

I have now been officially told that I am diabetic. Right now that simply means fasting blood tests every 3 months.

My day ahead:

I just got back from my walk. So that is good.

My daughter volunteered me to drive the husband of a friend of hers to his weekend camping trip. Not far from my house. Its a thing about living out in the country.
I am hoping that my lawn team shows up today because we are expecting rain tomorrow.

As for food — Change of plans. My granddaughter is coming to stay the weekend. That means gluten free, dairy free, tomato free, egg free, (Shoot, I have a mango on the table. Gotta freeze that.) soy free.
Thursday — Crock pot sweet and sour pork, chowmein (I have to sprout my mung beans asap)
So, my usual sweet and sour sauce has tomato in it, so it is time for a different recipe. I can't use chowmein noodles while my granddaughter is here, so I have a recipe for Chicken Long Rice, which is gluten free. For hubby and ds I can do something else. I can do this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.