Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Starting May 5, The wagon awaits, jump on >

Motivational Starting May 5, The wagon awaits, jump on

Community
Notices

Motivational Starting May 5, The wagon awaits, jump on

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Mother's Day!! My kids were so cute this morning giving me their Mother's Day school crafts. My son wrote in his card that he loves me because I cook him the best food and plant a nice garden. The funny thing is, he's the pickiest child in the world! He only eats about 5-6 different foods. I don't make a stink over it...I'm at work all day so I chose not to fight with him over food since I only even see him for a few short hours each day. I hope someday he outgrows it, but it will be on his terms not mine. I guess he appreciates it! Also, he eats nothing from the garden we plant but he loves to watch the plants grow and loves picking stuff too! Ahhhh....I do try to get him interested in food...maybe someday it will work!

Lidiia - Ouch! Hope you didn't hurt yourself when you tumbled from your bike!

Today, I'll be planning my weeks on the beach...South Beach Diet that is! I was planning to start today, but didn't get to the store yesterday to stock up on things I'll need. I'm making a list and shopping today so I'll be track tomorrow! Have an awesome day all!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

My strategy for the day, sleep in till noon ( no breakfast ) regular meal for lunch with family and a light supper. I hope I can pull this off. I might try for a walk after supper. Have a good day all.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Hey all!

So yesterday my calories look high, but I'm a little dubious, because FitDay says that a cocktail daiquiri made from scratch has something like 446 calories when consuming 8 fl oz. (I may have consumed less, but I'm logging it as a full glass). I'm not sure that's possible given what all is in a fresh daiquiri (it's just some lime juice/sweetened lime juice, I think gin, white rum, and not much else), but I logged it because I don't know the EXACT proportions hubby used and I can't make it a custom food. So it's possible I did better than what the numbers indicate. I also did cleaning housework for about an hour yesterday and didn't log it (I usually don't log housework, daily steps, trips up and down the stairs, etc. -- I like those to be little extra bouts of exercise that I don't log and can help me on a bad day to even out my numbers, lol!)

We had a spread of hors d'oeuvres for a few close friends including brie and crackers, bruschetta, and shrimp cocktail. I tried to stick with the shrimp cocktail but probably overdid it (I was starving and we ate dinner far later than normal) as I ate 18 pieces of shrimp, I had 10 crackers with Brie (though they were TERRIBLE crackers, coming in at 23 calories a pop), I had ONE bruschetta on the bread (it was delicious and actually my favorite thing of the night) along with the chicken alfredo. I had the daiquiri, a singapore sling, a glass of wine and a beer as well (along with breakfast/lunch, which totaled to about 440 cals between the two of them). I actually didn't eat my whole plate of alfredo, which was my goal when sitting down, so I'm proud of that. I think if I had cut it down on the alcohol (Hubs LOVES playing bartender) I probably could have easily been around more like 2,000, and I'm actually proud of that too. The alcohol was drunk in the presence of wonderful company, I didn't even get tipsy (four drinks over about 10 hours), and I'll give a few hundred calories for that. I can always work them off later now that I'm motivated and here with you all!!!! It's when I do that for days in a row that there's a problem!

My plan for today is to try to eat lightly, definitely get in my extra workout, and drink lots of water to try and get hydrated and rid myself of the ball of sodium that I'm sure I ate yesterday.

Libby: Enjoy your day out and do your best! You can do it girl!

Jenn: Restaurants are allllllways tough, and a lot of the ones around here (I live in a tiny town) are Mom-and-Pop with no online menus, so I just have to eyeball it and take my best guess, ugh. I am sure you will find something/make something PERFECT

Debbie: I love alfredo too, but let me tell you, yesterday I could have eaten that entire dang plate of bruschetta. It was delicious. Hubs is an excellent cook, and there's nothing like simple, fresh ingredients like tomato and mozzarella. Bruschetta isn't terrible as far as Italian food goes - unless you eat eight of them, haha, like I wanted to!! I had to get up and walk away from the platter. In hindsight, I wished I'd had a big jug of water nearby to chug. Usually helps for about a half hour or so.

Lidiia: Hope you're okay, ouch!!!

Like Jenai, Bea, and Debbie, I also want to wish all Moms, Mother Figures, and Single Dads a warm and wonderful Mother's Day!!!!!

Daily Goals:
1) Drink at least 64 oz. of water-- M: yes T: yes W:yes Th: yes F: yes Sat: no
2) Calories on average ~1350 M: 1,562 T:1,427 W: 1,427 (the EXACT same? Holy cow. I ate totally different foods. That'll never happen again)Th: 1,562 (It was 1,407, but then hubby brought me a fruity mixed beverage while I was grading. It was sweet of him, so I didn't say no) F: 1,154 Sat: 2,640 (estimate) Average: 1,628.6
3) Shoot for ~25-30% of calories from protein across the week, daily and across week M: 22% T: 19% W: 17% (it's going down, I don't like that trend!) Th: 18% (it was 20% before the drink) F: 19% Sat: 20% Average: 19.2%
4) No mindless eating!!!! M: yes T: no, I ate two pieces of bacon just because they were there W: yes Th: I snacked, but it was mindful, so yes. F: yes Sat: I think some of the crackers were NOT mindful
5) Getting back into workout routine - do 20 minute exercise routine M-F this week, every day, no excuses, it's twenty minutes. M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes F: yes Sat: Planned day off
6) Log everything M: yes T: yes W: yes. Had to guess on a couple of portion sizes, but I logged it. Th: yes F: yes Sat: I had to estimate a lot since hubs cooked and I don't know what all recipe he used, but yes

Specific Day Goals (I'll just start these with Thursday)
Th: Call previous mentor, get that reimbursement paperwork submitted, senior final papers graded -- Didn't finish all the papers (I got to them Friday morning) but I did get another abstract submitted, so I consider this a wash.
F: Class #2 final papers have a good dent in them (over half graded) All but one graded! Whoop whoop! I'll get to it sometime Saturday and continue exam grading.
Saturday: Control myself when we have people over for the evening. I'm allowed one treat. It was honestly the alcohol that did me in according to fitday - it says there's nearly 450 calories in one daiquiri made from scratch?!
Sunday: Do an extra workout! All senior exams graded

~Terri

Last edited by taubele; 05-12-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Mother's Day to all moms, aunts, cousins, lady caretakers or friends of children--to any women who love and nurture children--and to all single dads who take the place of a mother.

I've had a lovely day today so far. DH took me out for breakfast--just the two of us--and I ate on my plan's target. BUT son took me out for lunch where I cheated with a six inch Pillly Cheesesteak and fries which I washed down with Diet Coke, so that cancels out all the fat and calories, right?

Got plenty of exercise today when, as a Mother's Day favor, DH (the packrat) finally agreed to cooperate with dejunking the patio enclosure so we can enjoy sitting out there and not feel like we're relaxing at the city dump. It was truly a good workout.

Then I enjoyed sitting in our freshly mowed backyard for a while on our new lawn bench, under the wild cherry tree and next to the flower garden. Lovely day today--partly cloudy skies, about 80 degrees and a nice breeze.

DH is cooking his own dinner and I'll enjoy leftover low carb pasta and salad.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, thanks for your kind words. My daughter set a wonderful example of hard work and determination for her children. I'm so proud of her! Congrats on your two pounds lost! I don't think most people look any different whether they're displaying excess water weight or excess fat weight, so it likely doesn't matter how much of each is in your weight loss. I'll be rooting for you to keep good motivation so you can reach the 170s next week. Major kudos on your control at the Friday reception and at your Saturday gathering of friends. I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time and that extra workout and water will really help a lot. I don't buy the FitDay count of 450 calories for one daiquiri--maybe it's a typo--seems too high to me. But your body will know how to handle it--curbed with more water and exercise. I have the opposite going on with peaches, so log the higher carb count on FitDay. My bag of frozen peaches says it's only 2 net carbs for four ounces of peaches--that must be a mistake, so I record the higher carb count from FitDay.

Bea, wishing you good choices. Wow, I admire you for your children being your motivation to eat well!

Lidiia, best wishes on your cycling! I agree with your husband. Healthful eating lifestyles can usually make allowance for an occasional "cheat." Feelings of deprivation (like no birthday cake, etc.) most often cause me to binge eat. Wow, well done regarding your "Rain won't stop me" post! You are inspirational! Did you fall off your bike? I probably would--can't even remember last time I was on a bike.

Libby, kudos on eating good food, and not junk. If I go over on calories doing that, I just don't fret about it at all--I sort of doubt one's body would protest more calories of good nutrition. I enjoy Hershey sugar free dark chocolate miniatures--I smuggle them and unsalted almonds into movie theaters and don't feel guilty about it because they sell absolutely nothing I can eat. It is hard on Mother's Day when our loved ones take us out to celebrate. I feel OK about my controlled cheat--at just one meal instead of at all three. I hope you enjoy a walk this evening.

Becca, way to go Friday on eating well and saying no to Happy Hour!

Jenai, aw, I hope you feel better now after eating the cinnamon cake. Man, it sounds delicious, though. Reading about it actually made my mouth water. It reminded me of the coffee cake my Mom used to make when I was a kid. But your calories were quite good at around 1400 for the whole day! Big hug to ya!

Mary, I hope you are enjoying your weekend with your guests.

Jenn, way to go on your exercise. We had our driveway extended last year, putting in a turn around for my car so that our son can park his van in the driveway instead of in the grass. We reseeded last year but the grass didn't grow well--it looks quite nice this year, though. Most of the restaurants here are high sodium, except for a regional chain that has from-scratch cooking. I hope you find a place that's healthful eating friendly for you.

Debbie, hi! Sounds like you're having a wonderful Mother's Day. I always loved the school craft gifts when my kids were little. I empathize with you on your son's eating habits. My son was the same way when he was a kid--extremely picky--BUT as a 34 year old he eats very balanced, healthful meals. Enjoy your SB shopping!

Last edited by Mern; 05-11-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, you're such a doll! I hope you enjoyed every bite of your Philly Cheesesteak and then get right back on track. Your day sounds PERFECT and I'm glad you got outside. Cleaning out the patio sounds waaaaayyyy more productive than what I'm doing today. Just keeping quiet - did my exercise already - getting a little grading done and letting myself recuperate from yesterday. I hope that come Monday I've at least maintained (or close) and don't bounce back up. I'm drinking enough water to make my bladder burst and keeping my fingers crossed.

I asked DH about the 450 calories and what is in daiquiris - it's lime juice, simple syrup, and white rum (no gin). He says there is potentially a lot of sugar calories from the simple syrup, so one never knows. I still think 450 seems crazy, but I'm like you - I'd rather take the high calories and count them rather than estimate low.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

Mern that sounds like a wonderful day--minus de-cluttering.
Mom and I ended up going to "Tims". I had soup and sandwich which are sodium laden but not as bad as having dinner somewhere. I had iced coffee (I know with soup--yeah I'm weird). I thought it was just coffee with ice but it has syrup in it and it was soo sweet We made beef short ribs, mashed potatoes and greek salad. Dessert will be cherry cheesecake made with dream whip and cream cheese (sweetened with splenda)--graham cracker base.
I'm WAY under on my water today which usually happens on the weekend. Got a little bit of exercise in cutting front lawn.

Jenn
Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Just logging Sunday, then I'll join everyone on the new thread!!

Daily Goals:
1) Drink at least 64 oz. of water-- M: yes T: yes W:yes Th: yes F: yes Sat: no Sun: yes
2) Calories on average ~1350 M: 1,562 T:1,427 W: 1,427 (the EXACT same? Holy cow. I ate totally different foods. That'll never happen again)Th: 1,562 (It was 1,407, but then hubby brought me a fruity mixed beverage while I was grading. It was sweet of him, so I didn't say no) F: 1,154 Sat: 2,640 (estimate) Sun: 1,636 Average: 1,629.7
3) Shoot for ~25-30% of calories from protein across the week, daily and across week M: 22% T: 19% W: 17% (it's going down, I don't like that trend!) Th: 18% (it was 20% before the drink) F: 19% Sat: 20% Sun: 19% Average: 19%
4) No mindless eating!!!! M: yes T: no, I ate two pieces of bacon just because they were there W: yes Th: I snacked, but it was mindful, so yes. F: yes Sat: I think some of the crackers were NOT mindful Sun: yes
5) Getting back into workout routine - do 20 minute exercise routine M-F this week, every day, no excuses, it's twenty minutes. M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes F: yes Sat: Planned day off Sun: extra workout done
6) Log everything M: yes T: yes W: yes. Had to guess on a couple of portion sizes, but I logged it. Th: yes F: yes Sat: I had to estimate a lot since hubs cooked and I don't know what all recipe he used, but yes Sun: yes

Specific Day Goals (I'll just start these with Thursday)
Th: Call previous mentor, get that reimbursement paperwork submitted, senior final papers graded -- Didn't finish all the papers (I got to them Friday morning) but I did get another abstract submitted, so I consider this a wash.
F: Class #2 final papers have a good dent in them (over half graded) All but one graded! Whoop whoop! I'll get to it sometime Saturday and continue exam grading.
Saturday: Control myself when we have people over for the evening. I'm allowed one treat. It was honestly the alcohol that did me in according to fitday - it says there's nearly 450 calories in one daiquiri made from scratch?!
Sunday: Do an extra workout! All senior exams graded yes, both!