Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread - March 24th - 30th >

Motivational Thread - March 24th - 30th

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread - March 24th - 30th

Old 03-28-2014, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

I think it is easier to stay motivated when I see everyone supporting and chatting in here! So, I am going to become more active.

Mary - Enjoy your holiday!
Debbie - You are such an inspiration and so bubbly, it's contagious ( as is your determination)
Jenai - I know first hand the pop addiction cycle, but you have broken it once! you have the tools to do it again!
Aimee - Good luck with the calorie cycling! Let us know how the 500 days feel!
Jenn - We will make it up next week! (But we don't need to wait til Monday to start )

My goals for the next week are to be more diligent with the food scale.
Gym - 3 days on 1 off
Water - 9 cups a day

I set a new goal today on Fitday - 299.9 by April 25!
I will need to be diligent to accomplish it!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Bea -- not gaining after a good period of weight loss is a victory in itself. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Oops--I have to get back to faithfully logging my food.

My labs from Wednesday came back that blood sugar is normal. HDL cholesterol is up in the normal range, but LDL cholesterol is 144.

Doc shot me an email to tell me she sent an e-script in for me in case I didn't get her message before she leaves for vacation tonight, and that I could start taking it if I've decided to give in to medication. I shot her an email back and reminded her that I had told her that if my numbers were off, it was due to not being faithful about using nutrition tracking to monitor my dietary cholesterol and saturated fat intake for the past three months. I haven't binged on high cholesterol foods, but evidently was eating too much of sensible foods. I told her I had not given up, just that I thought I could manage it from experience without tracking but evidently I'm not ready to fly on my own. We agreed that since I had reversed my cholesterol to normal before through diet, exercise, and no meds, I may be able to do it again if I try hard enough. So it's back to logging faithfully to monitor my sat fat and dietary cholesterol intake.

Hugs to all!

Last edited by Mern; 03-28-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

I hope I didn't miss or misaddress anyone here. Had to skim the posts and give replies my best shot. Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

Thanks, everyone for your kudos on my weight loss.

Jenai, major kudos on your 5.8 A1C! That's great that you can cut your Metformin in half! I don't target HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol specifically, but my target that doc and I worked out together for managing MY high cholesterol was to limit my dietary cholesterol intake to 250mg per day (300mg is the recommended limit) and saturated fat to no more than 12% of total calories. 10% sat fat is what's recommended, but that's to strict for me. Doc told me I don't have to be perfect--just better than I used to be. I agree wholeheartedly with Debbie--your doc should be able to work out directives with you. Everyone is different. My doc actually looked at my FitDay food logs to see where I could make adjustments. She told me not to add olive oil or avocados as EXTRA foods as I had been doing to help reduce cholesterol because they add more calories than help reduce cholesterol. (I suspect that's controversial.) But she advised (and I complied) switching from shell eggs to egg substitute like EggBeaters (I use the cheaper store brand) and switching from pork bacon and sausage to those made from turkey. Red meat no more than twice a week. I also switched to reduced fat cheese--for the most part. I, too, am very sodium sensitive and get too much of it through luncheon meats. I do better to keep cooked chicken in the fridge for lunch sandwiches. Do any of your meds cause water retention? Wow, that's great that you got your kids to eat zucchini! How'd you do last night? When I've used up all my calories for the day and deprive myself of an evening meal, I wind up on a carb and fat binge. It's better for me to give in and eat a sensible meal, going over in calories, than to go hungry. I keep bottled lemon juice on hand because I don't often have a good supply of fresh lemons. But I don't know if it's as beneficial as fresh lemon juice.

Nyda, hi! Sorry it was your greenhouse that got part of the roof ripped off, but I guess that's better than the roof of your home getting ripped off. Jello sounds like a better choice than the cookies--so congrats on that. I hope your head feels better by now!

Aimee, I hope you feel better soon. Kudos on your weight loss--15 lbs. since January is really great! I haven't heard of the 5.2 Diet.

Bea, you've made wonderful weight loss progress, but sometimes your body has to take a rest to get accustomed to your new weight. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes, too, we're losing inches or adding muscle which weighs more than the same volume of fat. Very nice goals.

Mary, I hope your next plateau is a long way off and doesn't last long. I am pleased with my weight loss, blood sugar and HDL cholesterol results, but wish I had the fortitude to do everything well. I know that a healthful lifestyle requires multi-tasking and that slacking off in any area will yield poor results. "Positive choices" is a phrase that I need to keep in mind. I saw your question but I buy my Walker brand one net carb per serving protein shake mix online--only place I know to get it. Yeah, I think blackjack burns about 3000 calories per hour.

Becca, thanks for the reminder--I forgot to post my weigh-in today.

Debbie, I hope that deep tissue massage helped. I've had a few binges in my time, but for the most part I ate just like anyone else. I didn't get this obese from eating like a pig, either--but from too sedentary a lifestyle after I last worked outside the home. Thanks so much for your daily pep talks. I've finally come to accept that my excuses are usually not valid, but rather explanations of why I chose to neglect proper healthful lifestyle behavior. I sometimes accept achievements as "close enough to call green." Effort goes a long way in feeling good about ourselves.

Jenn, nice report Wednesday! Kudos for not gaining and I commend you for writing down things you want to discuss with your dietician.

Last edited by Mern; 03-28-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, good for you for wanting to try on your own to get your LDL in check. I realize that many people need the extra push that meds can give, but I think it's great that you want to try on your own first. Good luck with it!

I lost 1.5 lbs this week, and I still feel disappointed. I know that 1.5 lbs is a good weight loss, but it just doesn't seem like enough to make a difference. I know I know...in 1 year that would equal 78 lbs. But I look at my weight today, not a year from now, and it's very discouraging. I have so far to go. But, as someone else recently said, "I'm going to pull up my big girl panties" and keep fighting the battle. I think part of the problem why I feel disappointed is that a few days ago the scale was a couple lbs lower and then it went back up again, and I'm not sure why. A mystery.

I did not survive last night with no dinner. I went over by 300 calories. I didn't cook, but I knew my kids had to eat something, so I went and got pizza. It was from a new place, and I couldn't avoid temptation of having a taste of the new stuff. But a "taste" turned into a few slices. Small, thinner crust and cheese only, but still not on my menu. I had allotted for an Atkin's shake/milk if I got too terribly hungry, so I took that off my log and added in the pizza. Came to 300 over. Ah well. Today is going better.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

Mern what is considered normal LDL? I take cholesterol drugs--it's a statin so it protects my kidneys. Well I can't really pat myself on the back too much re dietician. I seem to get motivated for a couple of months after I go and then slip back into old routine.
Jenn
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

Just in answer to a couple questions--I've never been a huge eater, in fact- my problem has been that I don't eat much during the day, and then late at night I had been eating big meals. Eating 800 calories has been easy while I was sick. It just meant eating a fairly small lunch like a sandwich with no chips or sides and then having a resonable dinner like one of those flatbread pizzas w/ veggie toppings for dinner.

Now that I'm feeling better, sticking with 800 calories isn't so easy...ha ;-)

Debbie- I had heard you mentioning calorie cycling and was wondering if it was a similar system to tht 5:2 diet. I may try some modification of that here in the near future. So far, I've been happy with how things are still going down as is.

I wanted to mention a milestone that I had here in the past few days. For the first time in 3 years, I can take off my wedding ring again. I know that might seem small, but I have been hugely motivated by that (not that I want to take it off, lol--- but that it's not stuck anyore) ! I want to keep things going and am still looking forward to my Easter goal of 180 lbs. I just have 9 lbs to go!!!

I went to my weightlifting class this a.m. even though I had yucky women cramps.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 PM
FitDay Member

Hi there all my beautiful fitday friends. I just caught up on the posts and I literally have tears in my eyes You ladies impress me and inspire me! Although we've never met, I'm thankful for each and everyone one here in our little check in!

Aimee - I kind of naturally vary my calorie intake...some days low, some days higher. This is essentially the 5:2 diet...calorie cycling. Kuddos on your NSV (non-scale victory)!!! So important to take notice and celebrate or achievements....on and off the scale!!!

Jenai You my lady, had me tearing up!!! You are doing so well!!! Please don't be disappointed and don't look too far ahead. You just keep on trucking along and checking in here...before you know it a few months will pass and you'll be so much further ahead than where you are today.....but you have to take all those baby steps between now and then to keep moving forward. Chin up friend! One more thing....I'm sure you've heard it before...it's not all about the scale. Get someone to take some pics of you...then after several weeks take another set of pics to compare. I never did this before, but did this time and I'm telling you I was ready to quit after the first month until I saw the proof in my pictures! Aimee's ring fits her again and Mern was able to get her cholesterol in check. What has been a NSV you've experienced so far?

Mern - I love your fighting spirit! Kuddos on sticking to what you feel is best for you. I know you'll get your numbers to where you want them! Your doctor sounds awesome! Truly! I'm impressed that she took the time to look at your food diary and suggest dietary advice!

Bea - Thankyou for the lovely compliment! Great job setting yourself a new goal! It's great to set attainable goals along the way! I'll be here rooting for you!!

Mary - Enjoy Vegas!!!! Bring home the heat will you!

Jenn - I do the same thing with flossing....after I'm at the dentist I floss for a while then slowly I give it up again. So hard to change our habits...even though we know it's possible.

Libby Where art thou?! Miss you buddy...hope to see you posting again next week!

Have an awesome weekend all!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Aimee, that's fantastic! It IS a huge milestone! I don't wear my wedding ring at all because it doesn't fit and I refuse to get it sized so much bigger. Those seemingly little things are actually HUGE things that keep us going. Good for you!!!

Debbie, Thanks so much for the encouragement. I plan on taking pics when my 21 Day Fix DVD set comes. I'm going to take pics with each round of the 21 days I start so I can see my progress. The biggest thing for my since I've started is my A1C being only 5.8. I can't wait to talk to my health coach next Friday and tell her. She'll be excited for me.

As much as I have little bouts of discouragement, they are more like little bitch sessions than truly being bummed out. I am still very motivated to keep at this and make it permanent this time. Even if it is slow, I know I can't stop. Coming here and reading all of you doing these amazing workouts on a regular basis, the goals reached every day and just the general vibe of the group keeps my spirits up and you all keep me motivated. I am really encouraged by your signatures and seeing how far you have come and how long you have been committed to a life change. This group is really fantastic!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

Jenia - Phew! I'm so glad you were just venting and not throwing in the towel! You worried me...but I won't doubt you again!! You've got this!!! I can't wait to read your post after you see your health coach! That's awesome that you have her in your corner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.