Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread - March 3 - March 9 >

Motivational Thread - March 3 - March 9

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread - March 3 - March 9

Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Julia, major congrats on losing 2.5 lbs. your first week! I have delicious omelets probably five days a week and found a way to enjoy them without all the calories. On the suggestion of my doctor, I switched from regular shell eggs to liquid egg product (aka egg substitute) like Egg Beaters, but I use the less expensive store brands. My doc uses liquid egg product/egg substitute herself. It's made from real egg whites with stuff added that makes it taste like whole eggs. For scrambled eggs and omelets, my family can't tell the difference in taste. For comparison, FitDay says two large eggs have 143 calories, 10g fat. For the equivalent of two eggs my egg substitute has 67 calories and zero fat. Instead of adding milk, I add a bit of water, seasonings of choice, and stuff them with low carb veggies like spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes which are also low in calories. I'm a veggie lover--I've even added things like broccoli and green beans. If using cheese, I use Laughing Cow brand light cream cheese or one reduced fat cheese slice per omelet. Salad dressings--I'll look later to see if I have any low fat recipes. I buy bottled Riverton Valley ranch dressing from the dollar store and allow myself only the two tablespoon serving which is 90 calories, 10g fat and 1.5g sat fat. I'll look later today and see if I have any low fat dressing recipes and will share if I do.

Libby, I hope you get your water heater fixed. It's such a pain heating water on the stove for the family, isn't it? Wow, I'm not even sure I can lose another 5 lbs. to my mini-goal by March 28 in the next 19 days. (I'll set a mini goal to Easter after my March 28 doctor appointment.) I can't imagine losing 20 lbs. in 21 days-three weeks. Losing it so fast, how do you keep from gaining back a lot of the 20 lbs. when you resume 1200 calories or more per day after the Jump Start diet? Does Bob tell you how to add them back gradually?

Last edited by Mern; 03-09-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Julia, I haven't tried any homemade low fat ranch dressing recipes. I just did a search on the Internet and found these. There may be a bunch more on the Internet--but I haven't eaten breakfast yet and am headed to make myself a yummy low fat omelet.

Links for the recipes:

Low-fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | Skinnytaste

Low-Fat Ranch Dressing Recipe | Taste of Home

Low Fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Low Fat Ranch Dressing Recipe - Food.com - 323076

I hope you find one you like.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

I'm still here. Just been super busy around the house and helping a neighbor. The scale is down. I'll update my goals later.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

Libby, I'll join you in making a 10 lb loss by Easter my goal too. I need a kick in the pants and a mini goal to work toward. Fantastic job on the 3 lb loss!

Julia, I get Ken's Lite Creamy Caesar, which is loaded with flavor and is 90 cal per serving. Don't know if you can get that where you're at though. you may have to do as Mern suggested and make your own. I made my own recipe, modified from another recipe and it was pretty good. A lot of ranch recipes call for Greek yogurt and i personally can't stand the stuff, so I substitute it with some light sour cream and regular plain yogurt. Hope you find one you like!

April, you are doing amazing this week! Only one red mark the whole week!

Debbie, despite your two days with wine, you have accomplished all of your goals this week, and I find that remarkable! Great job!

Mern, so glad you are enjoying the bread! I had another Flatout pizza last night and I made it lower calorie than the first one by using only 1.5 Tbsp of butter for the onions. I roasted the mushrooms and garlic in a foil packet and then finished them in the pan with the onions to brown them a little more. Then instead of pesto I used Italian season and basil. Remember, if you toast your whole wheat with flax like a cracker like I do then you can make two little mini pizzas out of them. Or just pile them with meats or veggies of all kinds. mmm-mmmm good!

I did not stay within my calorie goal yesterday. I had a smidge of frosting, 1 small piece of leftover cake and some ice cream. Those three things derailed me because the rest of the day was looking pretty good. I have stopped for the most part buying any type of junk food, because if it's in the house I have no willpower to not eat it. Fortunately my birthday is a few days after the Easter goal I'm on with Libby so I won't have to deal with that again for a while. Maybe I'll break with tradition for my birthday and have something other than cake and ice cream. hmmmmm. That's an idea! I have a little over a month to plan something new.

Yesterday, though, I did manage to have a whole tomato, almost a whole onion and 4 oz of mushrooms on my pizza. So the veggies were a little better. Proteins were almost to my minimum, but not quite there.

It's been forever since I've been to the gym. Today my exercise will be my grocery shopping marathon. I shop at anywhere between 2-4 stores a week for my week's groceries. It usually takes me about an hour and a half of walking. I hate grocery day!

Hope you're enjoying your weekends everyone!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

Mern. Bob has another book after the Jump Start Diet. I am going to see if I can get it from the library. In the third week you can't eat fruit. In the forth week you add 500 calorie into the diet and see if you are still losing. If not you have to cut back again. I will let you know how things are going day by day. It's day three and I am feeling good.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

April, yeah post a pic up!

Diet stuff:
1) Drink a lot of water. (This has always been a strong point, drinking 100+ oz, was never really a problem. I'm down to one or two 16.9 oz bottles a day) yes (didn't log it all, probably 6 bottles)
2) Log my food. (I don't remember when the last time was)I logged most of it.
3) Weigh in and log my weight (It's been too long for that too) yes, it was about what I expected
4) Try to make better food choices (pffft, you don't even want to know) Better than before but not great

Get my head right/ relieve stress stuff:
5) Go for a walk (even if it's just a mile or two) not yet
6) Go for a bike ride (motor... not pedal) not yet
7) Spend a little extra time outside yes a lot of time helping my neighbor fix a sink hole in his driveway
8) Break out the camera and take at least one good picture not yet
9) Send some brass down range (if time allows) not yet, probably wan't have time for this
10) Pray for good things to come and think about crap that makes me happy. yes
Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, sounds like a great, productive and kind day. Kudos on the scale being down.

Jedi, OMG, that pizza sounds soooooo yummy, especially with roasting the mushrooms and garlic in foil and then finishing it with the onions. Layering of flavors is what makes our dishes so yummy. I love the idea of the mini pizzas on half a toasted whole wheat with flax Foldit. I'm sure I'll enjoy that often. I was delighted to find at Kroger (regional chain grocery store near me) they had two kinds of the lower carb Flatout--Light original and Light Italian Herb. So both the grocery stores I normally shop carry the Flatout flatbread. Today is a new day, so you can put the cake and ice cream behind you and be proud of all the veggies you ate and almost making your protein goal. So what day exactly is your birthday? Yeah--maybe you'll think of something really yummy for your birthday just as satisfying as the cake. I'm not crazy about grocery shopping, either. To get the most for our money we shop three-four stores per week. DH buys as much as he can of our grocery needs from Aldi, then he has things he buys for himself from Meijer. After I see what he has bought, I do Walmart and then Kroger to get whatever he didn't.

My dinner tonight: we're having leftovers for dinner tonight. I made low carb lasagna yesterday, so DH is having that and I'm going to have leftover black soybeans (1 net carb per half cup serving) with very lean pork shoulder, and smear half a warm Light Original Flatout Flatbread with "garlic butter." I'll use garlic powder and a teaspoon of a more healthful butter substitute. What I have now is called Countryside Creamery, but I also sometimes use Smart Balance. I guess I'll have a side of sweet and sour cucumbers.

Julia, my Countryside Creamery butter substitute is from Aldi grocery warehouse and taste a lot like Smart Balance brand. My one teaspoon of it will add just an additional 23 calories, zero cholesterol, zero trans fat, 2.7g total fat and .67g saturated fat to my meal.

Libby, that's great that Bob has another book to help you in your weight loss journey and in getting back to more calories per day after the three weeks of Jump Start. I hope you can get it from the library. I've saved a lot of money by borrowing books or by finding them really cheap as used books at half.com or amazon.com.

Mike, VERY nice restart. Congratulations! Driveway sink hole--yikes--that's scary!

Last edited by Mern; 03-09-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quick check in. I finally was able to take some pics. We have the flowery bush thingy in our backyard that is attacking our fence. I couldn't get any closeups because it has about 357,875 bees in it. I took a few pics of some bees but they were't cooperating. They never would face me and smile and they had this one monster bee that was on lookout. Every time I'd get close it would come in like a kamikaze. Everything turned out too blurry for my liking. I guess when you're dodging bees it puts a damper on things. I did get a pic of what I thought was a lady bug, but even she wouldn't cooperate because she wasn't even red, more like a pale yellow/orange...ish. It turned out blurry, I had the focus set just before her... I guess you could say a took a pic of a leaf.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

The flowers almost made me cry. We are still buried in two feet of snow and
probably won't see grass till mid April. Post some more pictures PLEASE.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

We have the orange lady bugs here too Mike -- and beware they bite! Good photo. We have snow and ice. How do I attach a photo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.