FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Teenager on a Mission for a Healthy Life (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/10647-teenager-mission-healthy-life.html)

elizabethconstantineau 02-08-2014 04:01 AM

Teenager on a Mission for a Healthy Life

Hi I am Liz, I just turned 15 and I want to have a better lifestyle. I been going through a rough few years and want to get myself out of it. I have tried to lose weight and eat healthier before but it hasn't turned out well due to a lack of faith in myself. I been recently diagnosed with depression and low self esteem. I am over weight and it is do to I am an emotional eater, I deal with everyone's problems and I am afraid of doing something stupid in front of my friends and pupils and saying the wrong thing. But I want to be healthier and lose weight for myself to boost my self confidence and self esteem.

I have never used FitDay before and I would also need help. I never really stick to things because I get bored fast it seems. I want to stick to something that will work and I will see results. I tried a diet once and I was on it for a month and there was no results in my size or my weight. I will probably need a lot of motivation and support to keep me going to reach my goal. I am 5 6' and 168 pounds. I want to weigh around 130-135. I don't want to be skinny as a twig but I also want to be toned.

I would appreciate everyone's support and opinions. Thanks :)

Kathy13118 02-08-2014 04:09 AM

Dieting is such an individual thing - but for certain, eating less and moving more works to lose weight (barring something your doctor can diagnose, such as a hormonal imbalance).

Measure what you eat (just using a scale or a cup measurement is about as simple as it gets) and be accurate. Then track that food online in the fitday log. You can see what the effects are of what you eat - you say you've dieted before, so you know about that - fitday just makes it easier to see it.

aimeet_1 02-08-2014 04:49 AM

Kathy is right. Probably the most helpful thing you can do for yourself while trying to lose weight is to track what you eat as accurately as possible. When you get a feel for exactly what you are eating, you might be surprised to see what you eat unconciously.

I found this nice calculation finder online that I wanted to share it with you.
How many calories should I burn a day to lose weight?

Drinking lots of water each day and staying active in addition to counting your calories is also key. The journal function here in Fitday is nice too if you feel like writing some of your thoughts down. Good luck Elizabeth!

Kumochi 02-08-2014 10:52 AM

Is your family supportive of your losing weight? If so you may be able to make it a family project for healthy eating. Check out what you are having at lunch. That can be a problem for students. Balancing calories in and calories out is the way to go and it can actually be interesting keeping track of it. You also get to count exercise which can provide motivation.

Find out how many calories you burn each day. Too lose weight you need to eat a few hundred less than you burn daily. Threat them like money and spend them on the foods you get the most satisfaction and nourishment out of.

Good Luck

lildebbieg 02-08-2014 01:35 PM

Hi there :) This is some good advice here. I can't think of much to add but to suggest finding activities that you enjoy. Getting and staying active will help burn calories and can be very enjoyable! Grab a friend and try out a Zumba class, take your dog or neighbours dog out for a walk, spend some time with a family member and go for a hike, try new activities like roller blading, kayaking, etc., pick up some exercise dvds from your local library to try out. You never know what you might like until you try it and getting out there and trying new things can also bring a new level of confidence and pride in yourself. One last thing, be patient with yourself. It takes time to lose weight and then takes the rest of your life to maintain it. Try not to get too focused on the end goal, but just do what you can to make changes in your daily life that you can sustain forever. All the best to you!

Deliverance14 02-09-2014 08:22 AM

Suggestions motivation

Your parents, family, friends, school staff, doctor are resources.

Eat less, exercise more set realistic goals for your new self and just do it. Find a cardio activity that you enjoy. Avoid diets, eat whole foods, eliminate flour, salt sugar from your diet and drink eight glasses of water a day.

Volunteering can boost your self esteem, combat depression and improve your physical conditioning.

“Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't.”
― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

The 50 Best Quotes on Self-Love | Psychology Today