FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational Thread - Januray 27- February 2 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/10591-motivational-thread-januray-27-february-2-a.html)

lildebbieg 01-27-2014 12:28 AM

Motivational Thread - Januray 27- February 2

“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” ― John Wooden

It seems to me that many of us had a rough week last week. This is a new week with new opportunities! I hope today's motivational quote resonates with each of you. It can be difficult when we first start on a weight loss journey (or have been on that journey for some time). We plan our diet and our exercise with determination. The first few weeks, we're focused and ready to take on the world! Then life happens. We didn't have a chance to plan our meals or something in our day caused us to miss our workout. These things sometimes lead us to giving up completely or make us feel like we're failing. This is why I chose the quote today. Even if we miss a workout or we've eaten something that's not conducive to our goal, that's no reason to ditch our plan for the rest of the day. We just pick up where we left off and keep forging forward. Focus on what we can do....what we can do to turn things around and continue on our path.

Wishing us all a great week filled with determination and personal successes!Here's to a great week ahead!

canary52 01-27-2014 04:04 AM

I like this quote.

Ok I weighed myself Saturday and I am getting too fluffy. Time to tighten the belt!!!

My goals:
1) plan food
2) stick as close to plan as possible
3) stretch daily
4) gym 2x this week (start small)
5) 6 glasses water
6) focus on work and achieve work goals

canary52 01-27-2014 04:07 AM

oatmeal with blueberries
clementines
tuna wrap with lettuce and onions
soup or hummus with chips and carrots
nuts
steak with broccoli
popcorn

Kumochi 01-27-2014 05:09 AM

I'm sticking with the same goals as last week.
Eat healthy
exercise daily
drink water
Y times 2 at least
Journal daily

Love the quote. Let's end January on a good note.

adyndravo1 01-27-2014 05:13 AM

:)Hello everyone. Here I am starting a new week . After last weeks desaster(SP) I am well aware that I need this site. I need to post and be acountable for everything. Even if the road is icey or the weather is cold, I can not use this as an excusse for not exercising. I refuse to regain everything I lost last year. The quote for this week, It really hit home. I have loged everything I have eaten so far today and I am on track. Decided to up grade to premium. I will see how I like it. Oh Hope I like what you said, I too am getting to fuffy.

My Goals.
drink alot of water
log everything I eat
exercise 3 times
post everyday.
eat 2 veggies and 2 fruits a day

Nyda

lildebbieg 01-27-2014 07:29 AM

Hi all :) Checking back in with day 1 of my new 52 day rotation I'm calling "Chasing the Sun" . It's 52 days long...it will take me all the way until the first day of Spring! Yes, I'm seriously counting down! :p Today's Chasing the Sun workout was Cardio Abs and I followed that up with BodyRock day 12 workout. I'm just about to hop on the elliptical and do some extra cardio...I'm aiming for 60 minutes.

So glad this is the last week of January! I'm so over this Winter weather! :cool:

Nyda - Good job ditching the excuses! I'm glad the quote I chose hit home for you. It hit home for me too which was why I posted it.

Hope - Your menu looks yummy!!

Mary - I'm with you on seeing January out on a positive note!

Hope everyone has had an awesome Monday!

ToriD1012 01-27-2014 10:43 AM

I'm in (again).

Goals for the week

1-log EVERYTHING
2-plan plan plan
3-post daily
4-do not lose focus

For those that don't know me, and for those that do and think I dropped off the face of the earth...I started here in November of 2011, had great success. From November '11 till October 2012 I lost roughly 75 lbs. Then all hell broke loose. BF came home from the army (he was stationed in Germany) that October and being the wonderful GF that I am, I indulged his every culinary wish. If he wanted a cake, I baked him a cake. I baked a LOT of cakes. Everything was awesome. I lost focus on my health because I was focused on making him happy. I gained a little weight. No biggie right? Life was thrown upside down last summer. A lot of stress, a lot of fighting (BF's sister stirred up a lot of stuff) and then I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I could barely move, and I was CONSTANTLY tired. Like, unable to get through the day tired. And I gained even more weight. I'm 6 months post diagnosis and am just now starting to feel like I can get back in control of my life. I'm 40 pounds heavier than I was when BF came home...and I'm miserable with it.

So...that's what's up with me. Looking forward to getting back in touch with old friends and making new ones.

Kumochi 01-27-2014 12:48 PM

Welcome back Tori and good for you to be back before all the weight comes back. You know this program works if we use it. Hope to see you on the threads.

libby116 01-27-2014 02:27 PM

Debbie, your words spoke to me. I have let circumstances beyond my control derail me from my goal. Tomorrow I will do better.

Goals for the week

Calories under 1200:
Treadmill 3X:
Hand weights 3X:
6 glasses of water:
Post every day and weigh in on Friday no matter what

We are still waiting for the furnace part. We are looking at temperatures of
-27 tonight. I am so sick of winter.

adyndravo1 01-27-2014 04:27 PM

Good evening everyone. I worked till 9pm tonight I am so glad I don't work tomorrow. A few phone calls and then just relax. I did not do to bad today. I strained my wrist changing the plates on my car.It is now legal.

My Goals.
drink alot of water m-y,
log everything I eat m-y,
exercise 3 times
post everyday.m-y-
eat 2 veggies and 2 fruits a day2 veg 1 fruit

cjohnson728 01-28-2014 12:06 AM

Hi Everyone, day late starting this week. Too much running and a huge crisis yesterday at work. I didn't eat poorly but I didn't take the time to log. We had STEM career night last night at school, too, so didn't get home till almost ten and though I could have done some weights, I didn't :(.

Hi Tori! So good to see you :D

Thanks for starting us off, Debbie, and for the pep talk.

Mary, Nyda, Hope, Libby, so glad you all are along for the ride :)

Basically same goals again this week for me.

1. Calories 1300 or fewer.
2. Exercise 5 times this week.
3. Choose food wisely.
4. Relax; breathe.
5. Log everything.

lildebbieg 01-28-2014 01:03 AM

Good morning fitday friends :) I got up a little late today after turning my alarm off when it went off this morning. I woke up about 20 minutes later, looked at the time and that little voice in my head was there saying "it's too later for you to get in your workout now...just skip it this morning....you can always do it this afternoon". You know that voice that talks you out of what you commited to doing? In September when I started to try to lose weight....again....I commited to getting in a workout in the morning before work 5 days a week because in the afternoon the kids are home and it's not easy to get in a workout. Of course, things come up like I get sick or the kids get sick and I have had to miss a morning workout, but talking myself out of my commitment is not a good reason to miss a workout. So I took my own advice and didn't let what I couldn't do stop me from what I could do. After over sleeping, I no longer had time to do my regular 40 minute workout, but when I designed my workouts, I also planned a shorter option for time crunched days. I got out of bed and did the shorter 30 minute option and then hustled my butt to quickly get ready for work. That voice in my head that tries to talk me out of my commitments is getting quieter over time and the voice that encourages me and reminds me why I'm doing this is getting louder! What could have been a crappy start to my day...one that left me feeling like I should have got up and got in my workout....turned out to be a great start to my day and now I feel accomplished and focused on my goals. :D

Wishing you all a awesome day, one full of accomplishments towards you goals. Even if they seem small, remember over time, those small accomplishments add up to big changes!

Libby - Sorry to hear your furnace is still not running! It's damned cold too...thank goodness you have a wood stove to you have some source of heat. Hang in there girl!

Tori - Welcome back! Looking forward to reading your posts. Sounds like you've had a really rough year...I'm glad to hear you're looking to the future. :)

jjrudd 01-28-2014 01:45 AM

Debbie I'm sick of winter too! It's sooo cold. I don't remember a winter that has been this cold for this long before.
Libby I hope you get your furnace fixed soon. BRRR.
Welcome back Tori.

Pulled a muscle and then aggravated it shovelling so I'm just going to eat healthy this week and make sure I drink lots of water.
Hopefully it warms up next week. I have to go for bloodwork and my veins are non-existant anyways and add in it's cold and my blood will never flow. :(

Jenn

Kumochi 01-28-2014 04:12 AM

Well done Debbie. We should develop some creative imagery of ways to off that little voice that likes to lead us away from our positive goals. I think I'll start picturing him as a gnome dressed only in a scarf that I toss out in the -16 degree snow bank. Right now he's try to keep me from going to the Y. I'll see if this works.

Good day yesterday. Curling was cancelled - due to weather - so I substituted time on the Wii. Eating well Drinking water and tea - which leads to weight loss but too many times getting up in the night. I guess need to drink earlier.

eej5 01-28-2014 06:03 AM

Hi, all.

Sorry I've been AWOL a couple of days. Busy weekend / Monday.

Well... if you remember, when I joined this group and got serious about my diet / exercise, the goal was to increase my fertility. The goal was to get my but as healthy as possible and then try again.

So I've dropped 9.8 pounds in a month -- and surprise, surprise -- I'm pregnant. I'm in total disbelief. And it's very early, so I still need bloodwork, etc. to make sure all is well.

But... my goals will be changing. Assuming this bean sticks around, I'll be looking to maintain / slowly gain now. I'm going to stick around and keep tracking.

But I won't be restricting calories much and I'm switching to walking and prenatal yoga.

Thank you all for helping me stick to it. I don't think this pregnancy is a fluke. I definitely think my good behavior helped us succeed.

Kumochi 01-28-2014 09:41 AM

Congratulations! I'm glad you are sticking around to maintain your health.

lildebbieg 01-28-2014 10:00 AM

Erin!!!! Congratulations!!! You must be so thrilled! Has it sunk in yet :p So glad you'll be sticking around.

Mary - Did you kick that gnome to the snow back and go to the Y today?

Jenn - Good job not letting what you can't do affect what you can do!! Hope your pulled muscle feels better soon!

I got in another 50 minutes on the elliptical and a 12 min HIIT workout this evening. I'm wiped! Off to eat some dinner :D

Kumochi 01-28-2014 11:23 AM

My imaging worked and I went to the Y. Water aerobics, laps, elliptical and rowing then walking the track. They have a seniors and weights group I wanted to go to however it was cancelled because of the weather. I then came home and used my snow blower for the second time today. Lots of extra calories burned. It always amazes me that exercise does not create and extra hunger. I did have a protein shake after working out but no extra calories.

aimeet_1 01-28-2014 11:49 AM

Good Afternoon everyone- I've recently rejoined the weight loss journey. I've been going to the gym (doing excercise classes & elipticals) for 2 weeks now-- going about 5 x per week. I'm 42 yo and it seems like my metabolism must be at a complete standstill. I weighed myself when I started 2 weeks ago-- 204 lbs. Then again this a.m. and it was only 202lbs. A little disappointing that I have only lost 1 lb per week (considering all the workouts and eating healthy I've been doing), but I suppose it's better than the scale going the other way.

One thing I have been really bad about in the past in hydration. Starting today I am increasing my water intake to at least 2-3 glasses per day. I have also bought some green tea and want to drink at least 2-3 glasses of that per day in addition. I hope that will help.

Also--in the past- I was only eating 2 large meals per day and starting 2 weeks ago I have been eating 3 smaller meals with light snacks 2 x per day. Any other tips ppl would like to share?

canary52 01-28-2014 01:17 PM

My goals:
1) plan food - Y, Y
2) stick as close to plan as possible, until the fatal biscotti Y
3) stretch daily - Y, Y
4) gym 2x this week (start small)
5) 6 glasses water - 4 water, 2 tea N
6) focus on work and achieve work goals -Y class

canary52 01-28-2014 01:19 PM

I had a post that got lost.

Tori, it's great to see you back, honey!!! So sorry to hear about the RA but we are here to support ya. I hope BF knows how lucky he is to have you!!!

I can't find who liked the fluffy comment but I had a magnet that said, I'm not fat, I'm fluffy lol.

canary52 01-28-2014 01:27 PM

I had a plan for today but my irritable laptop kept throwing me off FD. I think my equipment is possessed and I need Sam and Dean from Supernatural to come RIGHT NOW and fix this.

Sooooo plan for tomorrow:

Breakfast:
Ezkiel English muffin and goat cheese
Snack: orange
Lunch: leftover vegetable udon noodle soup or egg salad and baby carrots
Snack:100 calorie pack of nuts and raisins or chocolate Vitamuffin
Dinner: salmon and veg
Snack: popcorn or 100 calorie pack of pretzels

ToriD1012 01-28-2014 01:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome back. It'll be a quick post tonight because it has been. LONG day.

1-log everything--yes, yea
2-plan plan plan--yes, yes
3-post daily--yes, yes
4-do not lose focus--yes, yes

See y'all good folks tomorrow

libby116 01-28-2014 02:31 PM

Things are looking up. The furnace part arrived today and the repair guy is coming tomorrow. I had a good day food wise but no exercise yet. When the basement is warm I will be using the treadmill again.
Congrats eej5.
Awesome work out Debbie.
Let's all have a good week

Goals for the week

Calories under 1200: T-Y
Treadmill 3X:
Hand weights 3X: T-Y
6 glasses of water: T-Y

lildebbieg 01-29-2014 12:44 AM

Happy Hump Day!! :D It's going to be a busy day for me today and tomorrow so it will make it extra hard to get in my workouts. I'm committed to doing whatever I can...even if it's not as much as I would like it to be.

aimeet - Welcome! Glad you decided to join us! :) I'm sorry to hear you're already feeling frustrated....although I do completely understand! Losing 1 pound a week doesn't seem 'fair' when you're doing all the right stuff. It's this reason I believe that most people give up on their weight loss efforts....speaking from personal experience. You asked for tips...well here is the best tip I can think of...don't give up! That 1 pound a week will add up to 52 pounds in a year! Other than the obvious of not giving up, increasing your water intake to at least 8 cups per day and move as much as you can everyday. Unless you're training like an Olympian, you can exercise daily and not necessarily need a rest day. Some days can be a lighter form of exercise and other days a more vigorous form of exercise, but move daily...this is important!

Libby - Glad to hear your furnace should back up and running today! That took a long time to get the part!

Tori and aimeet - We have a weekly Friday Weigh In thread that some of us post to regularly. You're welcome to join us!

Have an awesome day everyone! I'll check back in at the end of the day to report how I did and to see what kind of day all of my fitday friends had. I know we're all going to rock it today right?!?! :cool: Later buddies!

Kumochi 01-29-2014 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by aimeet_1 (Post 105341)

Also--in the past- I was only eating 2 large meals per day and starting 2 weeks ago I have been eating 3 smaller meals with light snacks 2 x per day. Any other tips ppl would like to share?

Are your journaling your food intake? Exercise is great however calorie intake needs to be controlled for weight loss. The best way to control it is to be aware of calories in and out.

Good week so far. The road to my office is closed so another snow day - and more exercise snow blowing. I booked a physio assessment for later this week. Time to deal with some mobility issues.

canary52 01-29-2014 04:56 AM

Erin,

Holy cow!!! Congratulations!!!! I felt the greatest about my body when I was carrying DD even though I started twenty five pounds overweight at least. But I had her with me!!! Take care of yourself and the bambina or bambino.

aimeet_1 01-29-2014 12:07 PM

lildebbieG- Thank you for the welcome and advice. Yes- I will most def. be doing the Friday weigh in. I think it will help me to be accountable. TY for the invite. And that is a good point about it being 52 lbs in one year. Slow & steady...Just wish I was the rabbit sometimes, instead of the turtle --lol. 8 cups of water per day...I'll try. I seem to be running to the bathroom every 5 mins now ;-)

Kumochi- yes, thank you. I have recently been logging my foods and calorie intakes. I seem to be averaging about 1500 calories per day which seems about right I think? Good luck with the snow blowing and physio assessment later in the week!

lildebbieg 01-29-2014 12:18 PM

Hi all :) Checking back in with my workouts for the day. Today was day 3 of Chasing the Sun Challenge. It was a 40 minute cardio circuit. I also did day 15 of another 30 day challenge I'm doing plus 60 minutes on the elliptical. Whew! Lots o'exercise! :D It's getting harder to lose weight the closer I get to goal. Gotta keep it rev'd up to see those results!

aimeet - Glad you're going to stick around and join in on the Friday weigh in. I personally find the accountability has really helped keep me motivated!

Wow....it's quiet around here today...where is everyone?

libby116 01-29-2014 03:44 PM

Hi all. The furnace guy came and put the new part in but it still was not working so he had to go and get another part. He came back about an hour later and put a different part in. It ran fine for a while but tonight it shut down again. The temperature is dropping again and by morning it will be cold. My frustration lead me to eat junk so it was not a good day.

lildebbieg 01-30-2014 12:53 AM

Hi all :) Very rough sleep last night...I was still awake at 2 am. I normally get up at 4:45 to get in my morning workout, but clearly that didn't happen this morning. Not a great way to start the day...and I'll be playing catch up all day now for sleeping in late....and running on about 4 hours sleep. :( BUT....I can't change my lack of sleep and the way I started the day, but I can change how my day continues! I'll check back in later to report how I faired out.

Wow Libby! I can only imagine how frustrated you must be!! Completely understandable that you had a bad day! How old is your furnace....may be time for a new one? Hopefully you get some resolution today!

aimmet - wish I as a rabbit too! I average 1 pound per week....some weeks more, some weeks less, some weeks I gain...but overall 1 pound per week. When I suggested at least 8 cups of water a day, I should have also added that you can increase your intake over time. If your body is not used to that much fluid (and you're not used to multiple bathroom trips) then just try adding 1 cup per day per week. You said you drink 2-3 glasses per day...the for the next week try to increase that to 3-4 glasses...the next week try for 4-5 glasses and so on. By increasing it slowly it will be easier on your bladder and allow your body to get used to be properly hydrated.

Tomorrow is weigh day! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll see a loss this week. I should have expected this since it's PMS week and I've had a loss every week for the past 4 weeks. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, but I've been up all week so I'm not expecting much.

Have a great day all!

libby116 01-30-2014 03:28 AM

The basement was much warmer today so I did 57 minutes of walking and I feel good. So far today I am on track with eating so I should be OK. I don't think that I will be good on the scale tomorrow but I will do my best today.

Kumochi 01-30-2014 04:51 AM

Winter in Canada - so much fun! Snow blowing with the sunrise then a dead battery in my car. Funny thing is I'm much better at losing weight in the winter. Summer time barbeques must be more dangerous to my health than snow.

Keeping motivated. 2 trips and 3 reunions to look forward to later in 2014 although this time my main motivation is the desire to keep active into my old age - which some may think is already here.

canary52 01-30-2014 06:31 AM

My goals:
1) plan food - Y, Y, Y
2) stick as close to plan as possible, until the fatal biscotti Y NOOOOOOO but it strengthened my resolve
3) stretch daily - Y, Y, Y
4) gym 2x this week (start small) probably not: I'm really sick with fibro this week
5) 6 glasses water - 4 water, 2 tea N, N
6) focus on work and achieve work goals -Y class No

libby116 01-30-2014 08:50 AM

It felt good to use the treadmill today. My arms were sore from the hand weights so I gave them a rest today. My food was on track today.
I don't know what the scale will say tomorrow.

Goals for the week

Calories under 1200: T-Y W- T-Y
Treadmill 3X: T-Y
Hand weights 3X: T-Y
6 glasses of water: T-Y W-N T-Y

adyndravo1 01-30-2014 10:44 AM

I am still here. I have had a bad week. Not food wise so much as I have been more then usually depressed this week. I am filling a bit better.
I got caught up on the post so congrats erin hope you can have this one. Libby sorry about the furnace. Hope it gets fixed soon, and remember this day will be history tomorrow.
Aimeet also try measureing your body in several spots. I try to do so about once a month. Sometimes when we don't loose as much and we thnkwe should or stay the same for a while, our body is catching up with inches going away rathger t hen pounds.

My Goals.
drink alot of water m-y, t-y,w-y
log everything I eat m-y, t-n-w-n
exercise 3 timesmy hip has been tender this week.I did shovel snow today.
post everyday.m-y-t-n-w-n
eat 2 veggies and 2 fruits a day2 veg 1 fruit t-n,w-n

Nyda

lildebbieg 01-30-2014 12:53 PM

Hi all! Despite the lack of sleep and not getting in my workout this morning, I did manage to squeeze it in later in the day + an additional 45 minutes on the treadmill. I'm with you Libby, not sure what the scale will say tomorrow. I'm hormonal right now, so I am guessing I'll be up tomorrow. We just have to remember it's most likely water weight when we see these fluctuations. If we stay the course, the scale will move eventually! Let the chips fall where they may....just don't let them fall into belly! :p ;)

Have a good evening all!

canary52 01-30-2014 11:18 PM

My goals:
1) plan food - Y, Y, Y N
2) stick as close to plan as possible, until the fatal biscotti Y NOOOOOOO but it strengthened my resolve I actually did well
3) stretch daily - Y, Y, Y, Y
4) gym 2x this week (start small) probably not: I'm really sick with fibro this week
5) 6 glasses water - 4 water, 2 tea N, N ?
6) focus on work and achieve work goals -Y class No, No, focused on health

lildebbieg 01-31-2014 12:41 AM

Good morning all :) Despite yet another night of not enough sleep (I went to bed later than intended) I still got up and did my regular workout this morning. Today was a 40 minute cardio interval workout. I was dragging my butt through it, but happy I did it! As expected, my weight was up today. Freakin' PMS! However, when I look back at this 'time' last month I was 128.6, so I'm happy about that progress.

So glad it's the weekend, so I can sleep in until 7 tomorrow instead of my weekday 4:45 wake time. My husband is taking my son to a Beaver event (this is the Canadian version of Scouts for kids 7 and under) all day tomorrow so I am having a 'girl's day' with my 6 yo daughter. She's very excited to have me all to herself for the whole day ::D It's so sweet...I'll miss these days when she's a teenager and doesn't want to do things with me anymore.

TGIF!!!!

Kumochi 01-31-2014 12:41 AM

Good day yesterday except I forgot capers and smoked salmon would be high sodium! Weight up today even though a calorie deficit. Good thing is I managed to go out for dinner and while I was over my 1500 calories I was under 2000 even with the wine. I may weight till tomorrow to way in. Lots of fluids needed today to get rid of the fluid retained.