Notices

Motivational Thread Dec 15-21 Let's do it!

Old 12-15-2014, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivational Thread Dec 15-21 Let's do it!

Exercise, journaling, and avoiding temptation.
Tis the season.

The worst is over for me food-wise because the church Christmas dinner was last night. I didn't touch the dessert table, but I failed at home with a craving for sweet.

Now I pick my self up and move forward.

Goals for this week:

Walking five days this week - I've decided to play it by ear, or rather by foot. If my legs and feet feel like they have had enough, I will turn around and come home. If I can handle 2.5 miles every day, great.
Long term walking goal - I need to be able to do 2.5 miles daily by March.

Food goals this week - Fish twice, legumes three times, five servings of vegetables daily. I can get three of them just by having a salad at lunch.

Water goals this week - Back to the 2 Liters because it is within my reach.

Other exercise this week - At least one weight routine. Any day.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Ah, as far as I know the last social gathering is over and done with, but Annette, I didn't do as well as you. I visited the desert table but only chose two small desserts--one, a piece of sweet potato pie my daughter made (her first!) and a small slice of fresh apple cake. I made a dip using the classic dry onion soup mix but 'healthified' it by using Greek yogurt rather than the traditional sour cream and took fresh veggies like pepper strips, snow peas and carrot chips. Now, today is a new day and I'm back on my food plan! Vicki

Last edited by rosabella2012; 12-15-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Well, faced with that kind of temptation, I would have been lost too, Vicki.

The absolute truth is that for every dinner they put a "no nut" clause on the sign up sheet. I don't trust other people's desserts to begin with, but last night there were two desserts with nuts. One with pecans and another with walnuts.
That was enough to keep me well away from the table and leery of sitting with people during dessert.

I intend to experiment with pumpkin to make my own dessert. Sugar free.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Apparently I can eat too many peanuts.

I walked 2 miles yesterday. My skin was turning red during my walk. Early stages of frostbite. More clothing today.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Annette: I must be sensitive to peanuts and cashews because both cause nausea in me when I eat more than one or two nuts. Bummer, 'cause I LOVED peanuts as a child. Odd thing is that I can eat boiled peanuts with no problem. Nuts are healthy and I try to eat a variety of them but just a few--usually only 1 T per day. Walnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, almonds and pistachios are my favs. For treats/travel, I also buy the portion-controlled packs like Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds in Dark Chocolate--100 calories per pack, dark chocolate, what's not to love?!

Libby: I so want to be where you are weight-wise! I'm so glad for you!

Gotta get batteries for my scales. Fish is on my menu today with roasted turnips and beets.
My husband brought in my favorite pizza last night for his supper. I didn't even open the box--the smell was KILLING me! But he was great about it--he promptly portioned out what he wanted to take to work today for his lunch, got out what he wanted to have for his supper, covered the rest and took it to our neighbor next door to share with him. He said he was sorry he brought it home but I reminded him that he could eat pizza without going bonkers over it but I couldn't and just because I couldn't didn't mean he had to live without the foods he enjoyed.
Headed to the library after I run some errands--LOVE reading the old-fashioned books! Vicki
Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Vicki, I am all out allergic to tree nuts. Peanuts, being in the legume family are only a problem when it comes to cross contamination. That means I have to buy peanuts in the shell and shell what I want to eat.

My tree nut allergy keeps me out of the dessert line because the only dessert I trust is one from my own kitchen. I am talking an allergy that is so bad that if my husband eats a nut and we kiss it could put me into anaphylactic reaction. We don't kiss anymore. Enough said!

I have a milder allergy to bananas. I can eat them cooked, but raw or too much and I get hives.
Same with fermented foods. I can eat them, but I get a rash if I have too much. I quit breathing when faced with alcoholics. Something about the odor coming through their pores. I can handle someone who drinks on weekends, but a chronic drinker is too much for me.

I think I am going to make a trip to the grocery store to pick up trout if I can. If not, I'll have to settle for salmon. I'm getting take out for my family tonight. I'll have fish and a salad.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Allergies are no fun. When you have been eating something all your life and at 60 years old you are suddenly allergic to a food that you like and is good for you it's a worry. I have an allergist appointment in June to see if my
reaction to shrimp is potentially life threatening.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

At least mine are life-long. The only things is that the more exposure I have to them, the worse it gets. I used to be able to touch nuts, now I can't even be in the same room.

I have certain friends that I won't visit at all, and I give my mom lots of warning so she can get someone in to scrub her counters and wash her sofa covers.

Okay, I officially hate Tuesdays. It is the day that I don't get enough water or vegetables. I have the next two Tuesdays off and one of the moms has offered to help me with the scrap books during the holidays.

Today:
Go for my walk at sunrise. About an hour from now.
Make soup today.
Go shopping. I think. Not sure we have enough money for that.
Make sure I drink my water today
Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Annette: There's never enough money for shopping in my world! But sometimes it has to be done. I was never a big shopper and I'm still not--I go when I have to ONLY!

My hubbie has a severe allergy to seafood that started when he was in his 30's; until then he enjoyed all types of seafood. Now, if I eat seafood at home, I make sure to clean cookware/dishes, take out any garbage or at least double-bag it, and brush my teeth before he gets home. Most times I'll eat it at a restaurant and just brush teeth afterward.
We have a local market that has many types seafood raw and they will prepare it for you if you ask at no additional cost--it's usually boiled, steamed, baked or grilled, which works great with my food plan. They also have a fish tank so you can pick out your fish, watch them dress it and cook it right there while you watch! The grandsons think it's so cool!

Baked chicken, roasted beets with vinegar, and broccoli on my menu tonight. Vicki
Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Vicki, I will forever associate a certain park in the Okanogan as my strawberry snacking place. My granddaughter is allergic to strawberries and mangoes, my two favorite fruits. So every year I would go to my mom and on the way out of town stop at a farmer's market to buy those. Lunch would consist entirely of fruit. I would wash the knife and bowl at my mom's house. I didn't stop on the way home because then the knife and bowl were unclean.

My husband had to not eat tree nuts for several days before being intimate with me. Comes through the body fluids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.