Notices

Just need encouragement/support/understanding

Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Just need encouragement/support/understanding

Hi, I haven't wrote here at least I don't think so but I'M SO FRUSTRATED CONFUSED AND DISCOURAGED!

I have PCOS and for the past 7 years my husband and I have tried to get pregnant. WE WERE SO SURE THIS TIME but another NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Now I know I'm overweight so going back on south beach diet, that was the most successful and easy for me to follow. Low calories, exercise just made me exhausted and did nothing for me at all. In 2 months I would loose maybe 2lbs that's it. For someone with high testosterone like me it just doesn't work. Also I have hereditary anemia which involves my hemoglobin not iron so exercise just makes me more exhausted, even the hematologist told me don't exercise a lot because it makes my hemoglobin that's in my blood just get more depleted but a little bit once or twice a week wouldn't hurt and definitely not stressful like walking or swimming is fine.

I'm just wondering has anybody with pcos lost weight and naturally got pregnant? I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH MORE FRUSTRATION I CAN TAKE! I also quit smoking today too so maybe that's it. I don't know. Can pcos really get better with just diet and exercise?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay. I can't help you on the PCOS but somebody may be able to chime in and give some advice.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there I'm so sorry to hear that you and your husband having been trying to get pregnant for 7 years....I can only imagine how stressful and disappointing that must be for you both. Unfortunately I have no insight for you with regards to PCOS, but I do have some advice regarding exercise, diet and quitting smoking. You asked if diet and exercise can help PCOS...which like I said I know nothing about...however, diet and exercise are so essential when quitting smoking!! I wish I had focused on diet and exercise when I quit smoking....maybe then I wouldn't have gained weight. I gained 15 lbs. in a matter of a few weeks! Diet and exercise may not be a cure all, but you really can't go wrong by eating well and moving your body.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

I have a suggestion for the walking part of your exercise: have you tried the Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise program? It's something you can do at home, it's a cheap paperback you can probably buy used online (or at a library book sale), it doesn't need any special equipment, and it starts at a very low level and only increases the number of repetitions of a very small number of exercises very slowly and you determine the pace. I did it years ago and loved it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles to have a baby. I've had a history with that as well and know it can be heart breaking to deal with so my heart goes out to you. My doctor had told me that losing even 10-15 pounds can increase your chances of pregnancy although I don't share your diagnosis. I did find this little fact though...."If you have PCOS and are overweight, weight loss may be all the treatment you need. Even a small weight loss can trigger ovulation. Weight loss of as little as 5% to 7% over 6 months can lower your insulin and androgen levels. This restores ovulation and fertility in more than 75% of women with PCOS" this was from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)-Treatment Overview

That is so great that you quit smoking today because WHEN you get pregnant, the doctor will tell you to quit anyway. If exercise is hard, I would just start in small steps. If 5 minutes of walking is all you can do, then that is better than nothing and you can work up from there. Good luck and please don't give up! The first step is to take care of you, trust me on that!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Big hugs.

I've struggled with infertility as well. It's heartbreaking and lonely.

First... keep hope. We're struggling to conceive No. 2 now -- but we were successful once and have an awesome two-year-old little girl.

Second... Have you seen a reproductive endocrinologist? If not. Get there ASAP. That was the best decision I ever made. And get your DH checked out too.

When my RE first saw me, he put me on a fertility diet. No. 1 rule was no sugar, no pasta, no rice, no tortillas etc. That was really hard for me, but after a while it got easier.

Sugars found in whole fruits were OK as were other carb-y produce items like potatoes. They OKed a couple of slices of bread a day as long as I chose whole wheat with low sugar.

If I wanted something grainy, I could have wild rice or quinoa.

They also told me no trans fats and to get as much protein from plants sources (beans, nuts, peas) as possible vs. meat.

Also no low-fat dairy. Go with whole milk, full fat cheeses, etc. Something in low-fat dairy hinders ovulation.

They also prescribe an hour of walking every day.

I did these things and dropped 13 pounds in a month. Then I dropped more over the next few months. We were trying IUIs during this time without success (my husband had fertility issues too).

Then we tried IVF. About that time, I entered my healthy weight range, and we got pregnant the first time.

Now we've been trying for No. 2 without success and I know it's my weight. It's back up, so for the past week I've been back on the wagon. I dropped four pounds this week.

I'm hoping to drop another 15-20 pounds and try another embryo transfer in March or April.

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks everybody

I talked to my doctor and sure enough, I have ovarian cysts which made pregnancy symptoms and she told me the best thing I can do is loose weight. While it won't guarantee these ovarian cysts will go away it will make my body work better.

She told me south beach is the way to go but if I am craving carbs don't deprive. Just a serving will do and NOT PIES COOKIES AND ALL THAT lol well shoot.

I'm feeling better today just exhausted like always.