Notices

Motivational Thread Starting 12/30/2013--Resolution Time

Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie I find I am very sensitive to salt and my weight fluctuates quite a bit because of water retention. I have kidney issues--nothing serious but I have to be very diligent about drinking water and watching sodium intake. My dietician told me not to get too focused on the scale because my weight does fluctuate due to water.
Jenn
Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Week 2
Day 1

GOALS
1. Stay within calorie limit under 1200 Y
2. Eat 4 servings fruits and vegges Y
3. Drink 6 glasses of water Y
4. Lose 1 pound Y
5. Post daily and weigh in on Friday no matter what Y
6. Use the treadmill 3 + times a week Y
7. Use hand weights 3 times a week Y

Food and exercise went well. I might do another work out tonight.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, Libby... I need to borrow some of your energy. I have to get my workouts done first thing or I can't find the motivation in the evenings. Once kiddo goes to bed, I'm a slug.

I agree with Debbie, Mern. Great job managing your health without meds. And it's great your doctor was supportive and helping. So many doctors don't take the time and just write a script.

I go to a lot of medical conferences, and I often hear speakers say that while they know diet and exercise can slow, stop, and even reverse many chronic conditions, that patients won't do it. So therefore doctors shouldn't waist time with lifestyle changes. It's sad.

Today went well -- especially considering I got to bed late last night. I still managed to get a quick, intense workout in this morning before kiddo woke up.

I'm within my calorie count for the day, and have a few saved up again for an evening snack.

My husband's football team is playing in the Cotton bowl tonight, so I'm going to get a book and relax until bed.

First weigh in tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

I didn't get a second work out tonight. I played a game of scrabble with my husband instead. My brain needs exercise too. It was another good day.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
FitDay Member

Friday report:
Green=on track according to goal Blue=still time to get on track for the week Red=missed goal

Eating 5-6 small meals per day or 3 meals and 3 planned snacks is really helping me stay on track right now and not feel hunger pangs until it's time to eat again. I have been remembering that the best snacks to help one feel full longer is a combo of protein and lean fat. Low sugar peanut butter, low fat cheese, and olive oil are examples of good fats.

Calories: 1200-1600 per day 1228, 827, 1370,
Sat fat average: maximum 12% of total calories 11%, 7%, 11%
Dietary cholesterol average: maximum of 250mg per day 227mg, 145mg, 216mg
Fiber average: minimum 25g per day 40g, 17g so average is 28.5g, 33g
Protein average: minimum 120g per day 127g, 103g, 122g,
Net Carbs average (total carbs less fiber): maximum 25g per day 20g, 19g, 26g , so average is 22 per day
Exercise: 3 days per week for first three months. Any extra is a bonus 1, 2
Water 64 oz. per day. Lost track--probably closer to 48 oz., ditto--must work on that!, ditto
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 PM
FitDay Member

Libby, great job so far this week. Quality time with DH is important, too.

Erin, great job on your exercise! Thanks for your comment about scripts. I'm taking it you're in the medical profession since you go to medical conferences. What is your occupation if you don't mind telling? My DH's doctor is all about scripts. When she diagnosed him with high blood pressure, she immediately wrote a script. He got mad when she wouldn't give him a refill without another checkup (but that makes sense to me) so he went off his meds. But I had read that exercise and low carb can help lower blood pressure, so he went back to the gym and started eating lowER carb. Next time he went back to the doctor, and ever since--about a year and a half now, he had normal blood pressure and he told the doc he hadn't been taking his meds. She didn't ASK what he'd been doing to lower it--just said, "Well, whatever you're doing, keep it up."

Babysitting great-grandbaby today so probably won't be online much.

Today's pre-logged, planned menu:

Veggie omelet (with store brand of Egg Beaters) decaf coffee with creamer

Protein shake

Leftover chicken breast, cole slaw with ranch dressing instead of mayo

Homemade veggie soup, almonds

Low carb pasta in tomato based sauce with 93% lean ground beef, broccoli

Celery with peanut butter, another protein shake

And a flaxmeal muffin sometime during the day, if desired

Last edited by Mern; 01-04-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 AM
FitDay Member

Good job Mern. I am glad that you posted what you eat. Half the time I don't know what to eat especially between meals. Last night I made a caserol
with ground beef, onion, mushrooms, celery, orange peppers, broccoli, rice and tomato juice. It was very satisfying with all the vegetables. After that I had hot tea for the evening. My weight is down another smidge today. It's the week end and that is always a hard time for me but I have things to do to keep me busy and not thinking about food. Have a great day all.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! Checking in with my workout, day 16 of my current 30 day rotation which was a 40 minute lower body strength/cardio interval workout. Another awesome workout!

12 Week Exercise Challenge, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 6, Day 1 - yes
Week 6, Day 2 - yes

Libby - I didn't get in my second workout yesterday either. I always aim for 1...and the second one is just a bonus. Always good to spend time exercising the mind and the heart (not just elevating the heart rate!) as well

Mern and Erin - So sad to read this about doctors and the overuse of prescriptions. One of the causes of super bugs...at least that's what I've read

Mern - Your menu looks yummy! I looooove coleslaw! Do you make your own?

Is there a recipe section here....I've never seen one? Maybe we could start a recipe thread?

We're taking the kids to see Frozen today. Should be fun!! Have a great day all!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Debbie, this is what passes for the recipe section...http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/ kind of hit or miss in terms of which threads are actual recipes, but Mern has posted some super low carb ones, though they are further back chronologically. Thanks for the info on your exercise, btw. HIIT is terrific. There is a park with a 1-mile path around near me and it is marked off in mile tenths; a lot of folks use it for HIIT, though I prefer mine by time and not distance. I used to run and play tennis, primarily, and work out with weights, but I have deQuervain's (hand/wrist), tennis elbow, and shoulder impingement, so tennis dropped out. Then I hurt my hip flexor. Basically, I hike now, or use a recumbent bike, but I have rehabbed and now the challenge is finding the time to work my way back to other things.

Mern, your week looks good so far! Keep it up, girl!

Libby, great point. Mind-body-spirit, all need nurturing. Glad you got a chance to do so

Also good point for Erin...why is it that we don't always do what's good for us?!?! Sound like good dissertation research for somebody. Yes, Mern's doc is a true champ, and she really appreciates all the research and responsibility Mern has put into her situation. They are a very strong team!

Jenn, that's my reminder to go fill the water jug, now that the cup-o-caffeine is done for the morning!

Got snowed under yesterday (not literally) with work, did not exercise; worked on reports till 1 AM. I will double up exercise today; still working, but that has got to stop being an excuse. I did log, and I did post, so there's that.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!! Enjoy your day and stay warm (we have had some Aussies here in the past, so if any of you are there...keep cool ).
Old 01-04-2014, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Bubba--ECCBIEWTATNECDTSM. BH. And those goals are doable. I think I've found a way to make it happen

Mern & Cassie--thanks for the welcome back.

I hit the gym last night and already this morning. Did a mile last night and two today. Going to get some breakfast in my belly and then clean out the spare bedroom. Have a great Saturday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.