Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread Starting 12/30/2013--Resolution Time >

Motivational Thread Starting 12/30/2013--Resolution Time

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread Starting 12/30/2013--Resolution Time

Old 01-05-2014, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Mern! I too am fortunate that I can manage my health without the use of meds. When I was diagnosed in 1994, the doc offered meds. I said I wanted a little time to see if I could find a way to manage it on my own. At that time, there was no internet...well at least I had no access I went to the local library, in the small town I grew up in, to read what I could about diet and nutrition. Lucky for me, I discovered what works for me and I'm one of those that can help myself through lifestyle. Lucky me!! My sister-in-law, unfortunately, is not so lucky. I've been relatively healthy since my diagnosis through stress reduction and dietary changes, I've also seen the other side through my sister-in-law....and it can be quite different. I'm so lucky that if I mostly stay away from processed foods, keep stress low and exercise diligently, I'm able to live my life with little disturbance! My husband is a huge contributor! Honestly, without him my stress would be so much higher! Lucky for me, I've found a partner that brings balance to my life...as I do to his...at least I hope so Crohn's does rear it's ugly head monthly or so, but on a daily basis, I'm blessed!

This post is much longer than I intended! I'm guessing you have that effect on people Thank you for asking...my father is doing much better. He has leukemia and will never be 100% well again, but luckily he has recovered from dementia. I would say he's nearly 90% himself again...I'll take it! I'm literally moved to tears nearly every time I see him....but I keep that to myself What he has been through (lengthy story) has stumped the doctors here in Canada. They're actually using him as a case study in their medical journals for other doctors to learn from....incredible!! My dad is a feisty and tenacious man....whom I respect tremendously!

I'll have to check out your and Cassie's recipes. I'll be sure to let you know if I post any new recipes so you don't miss them!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Where is every body? There are only 4 of us weighing in on Friday. Come and join the fun and make it a great year to lose weight and get healthy.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry, Mern... But I haven't covered much regarding dementia and Alzheimer's. It occasionally comes up when I'm covering primary care stuff -- but more for recognizing it / diagnosing -- not research on causes, etc.

My grandmother has had dementia for 15 years -- slowly progressing to the point she is now, which is very severe. It's devastating to watch. I'm sorry you lost your mom that way.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Week 2
Day 3

GOALS
1. Stay within calorie limit under 1200 Y Y Y
2. Eat 4 servings fruits and vegges Y Y Y
3. Drink 6 glasses of water Y N Y
4. Lose 1 pound Y
5. Post daily and weigh in on Friday no matter what Y Y Y
6. Use the treadmill 3 + times a week Y Y
7. Use hand weights 3 times a week Y

Day 3 went well. It's just green tea for the rest of the evening.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie, that's wonderful that you were so pro-active on learning to self-manage your Crohn's Disease without meds even before you had computer access! Wow, you are one lucky lady to halve a husband who helps keep you bananced, helping to alleviate or prevent stress. Seems like exercise is also a key factor in managing virtually any disease or disorder. My hat is off to you! Yeah, I admit to getting pretty talkative and asking a lot of questions. OMG, my heart goes out to you and to your father. I wish him comfort, peace, and as much wellness as he can garner out of his circumstances.

Libby, I just now joined your Friday Weigh-In. Luckily I had weighed myself that day. Thanks for the invitation. Great job on your post! I have almost reached my food limits for the day so at 6PM and not having yet eaten my evening meal, I have left only 3 oz. chicken, half a raw green pepper with Laughing Cow (low fat) cheese spread, and a protein shake with flaxmeal. But if I spread them out efficiently, I should not have to go to bed hungry.

Erin, thanks for your compassion. I've read a couple articles that said there may be a link between statin medication, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. Veterans of this thread--the following is nothing new to you, so you can skip it--just repeating my experience and ideas for our new members who haven't read it. My Mom was diagnosed with BOTH dementia and Parkinson's after 12 years on statins. When I asked my current doctor about it, she replied "Well, I have seen more 'memory problems' among patients who take statins than those who don't" but she said as far as she knows no links to dementia or Parkinson's have been proven. My heart goes out to you, your grandmother, and all your family. My siblings who take statin medication think maybe Mom's brain was so messed up that she didn't know it--that five minutes later she didn't remember that she thought a family member or health professional was trying to kill her, even though severe paranoia was a daily state of mind for her. My siblings are more afraid of having a heart attack from high cholesterol than sucummbing to dementia, so even though statin meds are not for me, I must respect their decision and the decision of anyone here who chooses to take them. I don't try to force my opinions on anyone--just share when I think someone may be interested in my viewpoint.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'm here!

Yesterday I tracked and posted and did one workout. Hoped for two, but ended up writing reports till 3 AM (zzzz). Maybe two today? Going to hit the treadmill now, hopefully weights later...

Hugs to everybody. Thanks for the sharing. It feels so positive to be "around" folks who are so in touch with what works and the motivation to do just that. I had it, lost it, and need to get it back. I will take any inspiration I can, so thanks for providing it!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Geez, Cassie, I don't think you are aware of how inspiring YOU are to others here. You must have been dogged tired after working until 3AM and then to do the treadmill and maybe even weights after that is amazing.

I, too, love being around people who have figured out what works for them as well as those who are still gathering information from other members and from other diet plans. I remember several months ago someone (maybe Robin) asked me what happened to my magic diet (or words similar to that). In searching for more ways to lower my triglycerides, I had been experimenting with Diet Free Life by Robert Ferguson. His plan has to do with combining protein, fats, and carbs in such a way as to boost metabolism to achieve better weight loss and better health. It was a really wonderful plan and was working well for me, but it was so overly time consuming for me to learn that I eventually abandoned that idea and went back to my previous goals and way of eating, but tried to be better at it plus be more motivated to exercise.

We are all different, and have different ways, but are able to share this journey and learn from each other. My time away from this group's support always results in weight gain and lack of motivation.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning all. I've come down with an upper respiratory virus which is sidelining me from working out. It hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday and by the time I crawled into bed at 6:30 pm I had a fever of 103! I still have a fever today, but it's staying a bit lower because I'm using both Advil and Tylenol. Soooo glad the kids are back at school today so I can just sleep for the whole day. I hope this doesn't stick around long or morph into anything else. Positive thoughts right!

12 Week Exercise Challenge, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 6, Day 1 - yes
Week 6, Day 2 - yes
Week 6, Day 3 - no...at least this was due to illness and not lack of motivation right!?!?!
Week 6, Day 4 - no...not until the fever is gone and I can breathe without my lungs burning

I hope you all have an awesome...and healthy day!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Ugh... Sorry, Debbie. No fun. Glad your kids are in school so you can rest today. Feel better.

I'm up. Gearing up to start my workout. Probably won't get my high intensity and my yoga done before kiddo wakes up because I overslept. I have such a hard time waking up when the house is still so dark and chilly.

I'll get better. I used to drag myself out of bed at 5 am and run in the middle of the winter. I know I've got it in me somewhere.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie and Erin, and other newbies to this group, we usually start a new thread each Monday. A new one was opened by Canary/Hope today at
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...t-serious.html

If you like, you can cut and paste your post to the new thread--or simply join us later over there if you don't feel like redoing it.

Debbie, so sorry you're sick! So much of that going around down here in the USA. Feel better soon! Just take the day off and pamper yourself as much as you can. My grandkids are off school today due to the icy roads and nine below zero temperature. Our wind chill is supposed to go down to 30 below zero.

Erin, what time does your wee one usually wake up? I remember when my kids were little and I was a stay at home mom, I had to get up at 6AM to enjoy any time to myself as the kids awoke between 7:30 and 8:00AM (if I was that lucky). Enjoy your exercise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.