Notices

2013 Year End Challenge! Who's with me?!?!?!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Becca - Glad you saw the invite and that you're joining us! Woohoo! 10 lbs. by NYE?!?! Go girl!! Libby and I are also doing a 12 week exercise challenge (I think baxtman is joining us too) where we'll be doing some form of exercise daily. Since you're already doing a 24 day ab challenge, you should join in. What's a few extra weeks right? There's so many different challenges you can find online that after you're done the ab challenge, you can try a different one.

baxtman - You work at a hospital right...you weren't there as a patient? 14 hours with just two protein shakes and then a decent dinner? Make sure you eat enough so you don't end up too hungry. Can you add in some healthy snacks like fruits and veggies in addition to your protein shakes and then have your regular dinner? Having said that, if you've done this before and it works for you, then do what you must. I just think I would be starving...that's all

Libby - Hi there

I'll check back in later with my workout for the day. Have a great day all!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

I just have to be sure I don't wait too long and get too hungry before I get something. Usually I can tell myself I know I have had enough to eat to fuel my body and then set a certain time when I will eat. I have to plan what I am going to have ahead of time though because if I don't, the results can be...disappointing.
I like the EAS Lean 15 mixed with some ice and a cup of skim milk. I will do a double serving of protein. It makes it nice and creamy and very filling and only totals 283 calories, with 30g of protein. I just finished my walk. I'm having a shake now before I get on the elliptical, and doing weights.
I'm getting off to a slow start this am. Trying to help my wife with Christmas lights. But, it's time to get my work-out done and out of the way.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

I just have to be sure I don't wait too long and get too hungry before I get something. Usually I can tell myself I know I have had enough to eat to fuel my body and then set a certain time when I will eat. I have to plan what I am going to have ahead of time though because if I don't, the results can be...disappointing.
I like the EAS Lean 15 mixed with some ice and a cup of skim milk. I will do a double serving of protein. It makes it nice and creamy and very filling and only totals 283 calories, with 30g of protein. I just finished my walk. I'm having a shake now before I get on the elliptical, and doing weights.
I'm getting off to a slow start this am. Trying to help my wife with Christmas lights. But, it's time to get my work-out done and out of the way.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Stuck in rut?

Stuck at a setpoint? I'm in the middle of my work-out right now, but watch out for my next post, and I will tell you how to shatter that setpoint!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all Checking back in with my workout for the day....a 40 HIIT workout on the elliptical. Awesome workout!

12 Weeks, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 1, Day 1 - yes
Week 1, Day 2 - yes
Week 1, Day 3 - yes
Week 1, Day 4 - yes

baxtman - you've peaked my curiosity about breaking a set point. Do tell!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Break that setpoint!

Okay! Here is a secret for breaking your setpoint. I will tell you that it is not for the faint of heart. It is definitely hard work, but it only takes 20 min a day. You can do it on the elliptical, a bike, a treadmill, or the road. Personally, I like the elliptical or a stationary bike the best, because it is the easiest to control.
I learned this from Bill Phillips, so you might recognize the method. I don't want to take credit for something somebody else created. I think he calls it intensity intervals. What you do is start at a moderate intensity, (50% of what you can do) and stay there for one minute. Then adjust the intensity up one level. Continue to do this until you are at 90% of your ability. You can do it, it's only one minute. Then go back to 50% and start over. Repeat this 4 times. On the last round, add one minute of 100% intensity. Give it all you've got. Then go back to 50% and cool off.
My elliptical is easily adapted to this, because it has 10 levels... So this is a minute by minute replay of my workout:

Level 5,6,7,8,9,6,7,8,9,6,7,8,9,6,7,8,9,10,6,6

You may not be able to start out on this high of a level, but remember that it is based on your level of fitness and ability. So if you begin on level 1 or 2, that is alright. You will adjust the level as your fitness level increases. I won't lie to you, when you finish your 20 minutes, you will know you have had a work-out. It is hard. But! This is the only way I know to burn 500+ calories in 20 minutes, and it actually burns much more than that because it kicks up your metabolism the rest of the day.
The most beneficial way to do it is first thing in the morning, and wait 30 min to an hour after you finish before you eat anything. That way, your body uses up its glycogen stores and is forced to use bodyfat for fuel. You want to stay away from simple carbs and make sure you are getting ample protein so your body doesn't break down muscle tissue. You can do this everyday. However, I would recommend maybe 3 times a week. If you work like you are supposed to, you will be too sore to do that intensity everyday.
Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

I am going to do a count down. Friday weigh in works for me.
Exercise:
84: Friday - Yes
83: Saturday - Yes
82: Sunday - Yes
81: Monday - Yes
We can do this.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Baxtman1- Hi, come join us each Friday for weigh-in.... post called Friday weigh-in 2013
Yes, I've heard about the intervals- I try to do them as well....
I use a treadmill with power inclines up to 10....I like how you break it down with your workout.... can you give me a plan to use for a treadmill??

I'm trying to work out 6 days each week if possible.....Sunday my rest day...so I will see how this goes.

Monday- done
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Interval intensity on treadmill

Becca,
On the treadmill would be very similar. Start out at a moderate intensity. It should be moderately difficult, but you can still talk and are breathing essentially normally. You can increase the intensity by either increasing the speed each minute, or by increasing the incline. When I used the treadmill, I did it by bumping up the speed, like 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 3.0, and then the last minute before cool down 6.0
As you get stronger and faster, you just bump up your start point. But you could very easily leave the machine at the same speed and increase the incline each minute. That really doesn't matter. What matters is that you're going from a moderate intensity to an intense intensity, and the last minute before cool down you give it all you have.
When I am on the most intense level, my respiratory rate is usually 60, and my heart rate is between 165-185. When you are at your 90 and 100% levels, you should not be able to say more than one word. I certainly would not suggest you try to hit my levels. I don't want to be responsible for your cardiac arrest. You have to be really in touch with how your body feels and what your capable of.
There is a standard formula for what your heart rate should be for maximum cardiac benefits. 220 - (your age)x 0.8= your target pulse. So lets say your 40yrs old. 220 - 40=180x 0.8= 144. You want to get your heart rate up high enough that it stays slightly elevated for several hours. Then you're getting a metabolic benefit on top of a cardio-aerobic benefit.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weigh in

SW 216.5 Nov 17/2013
Dec 3/2013 CW 212.5
Goal 200 by 12/25/2013

Friday weigh in sounds good to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.