Notices

Motivational Thread starting 11/4/13: Where Y'at?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

The title of this thread is something motivational, so where is the motivation? If you want someone to magically motivate you, then what you write should be motivational. Everyone can succeed for 10min, or 1hr, or 4hrs, or all day. Focus on your success, not on your failure. I am personally coming to this site looking for people who can succeed despite adversity. Don't come here to say "I failed again today." That belongs on the "People who aren't ready to lose weight" forum. Instead, what did you do right? If you get a bunch of people focused that, they will lose a lot of weight.
I have things to share with you, but first, I want to see if I can find people who can help me stay motivated. I wonder how many people are stuck in this rut? I know I have to be more active to lose weight, but I'm too fat and too tired to work out. This is not very well articulated, but hopefully you get the idea. If that is you, what are you doing about it? We do have a choice. I hope to hear some comments. Good or bad, all comments are welcome. Let's get something going.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Libby! It's been a while since I posted here so of course I will re-introduce myself. I have recently met my weight loss goal, and now have gone 2 pounds under it! I didn't do it quickly, but methodically. I gave myself a reasonable caloric intake (2000 calories per day for days that I exercised and 1800 for non exercise days) I didn't do crazy exercise, I walked, did yoga, and water aerobics. I chose exercises that I enjoyed, that I knew I could continue to do for years to come!

I weighed daily and logged it. I measured the body monthly and logged it. Yes it zigs and zags, but over time I saw a slow, successful downward number on the scale, and lower numbers on the measuring tape. For me, that was motivation. Also during exercise, especially during my walks, I didn't use music or listen to anything. I walked alone, with my thoughts, and did my own affirmations, got honest with myself, planned my days, etc.

I read books on nutrition, not necessarily on dieting. I stopped drinking alcohol, I stopped eating in restaurants for a few years, I stopped eating processed food. Instead I took FULL CHARGE and FULL responsibility for what I ate. I lowered my total cholesterol by 60 points, my blood sugar, raised HDL's Lowered LDL's and Triglycerides. The interior change has been just as if not more dramatic than the exterior changes.

So there is a brief history of me. other boring details, Female, mid 40's.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by baxtman1
The title of this thread is something motivational, so where is the motivation? If you want someone to magically motivate you, then what you write should be motivational. Everyone can succeed for 10min, or 1hr, or 4hrs, or all day. Focus on your success, not on your failure. I am personally coming to this site looking for people who can succeed despite adversity. Don't come here to say "I failed again today." That belongs on the "People who aren't ready to lose weight" forum. Instead, what did you do right? If you get a bunch of people focused that, they will lose a lot of weight.
I have things to share with you, but first, I want to see if I can find people who can help me stay motivated. I wonder how many people are stuck in this rut? I know I have to be more active to lose weight, but I'm too fat and too tired to work out. This is not very well articulated, but hopefully you get the idea. If that is you, what are you doing about it? We do have a choice. I hope to hear some comments. Good or bad, all comments are welcome. Let's get something going.
Baxtman- You know what you did right in your post? you were honest. That is the key. You can do this, heck I did! I have my newest thing, and that is get 15 minutes ahead of tomorrow. Whatever that might be... plan out my meals, do a load of clothes, do 5 minutes of tomorrow's walk today... I set a timer and I do it.

You are right, you do need to be active to lose weight, but take it in small doses and you can and will succeed. I changed the way I did laundry to be more active! Seriously! I took one thing out of the dryer at a time, folded it then bent over and got the next thing out, yes it sounds dumb and yes I felt silly and yes it took a lot longer than pulling out the whole mess and then flopping down on the couch and folding it while I watched television, but it was movement, I strengthened my back, abs and got a little winded doing it (boom! exercise- wow!)

Last edited by frenchhen3; 11-10-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Motivation!

When a sweet treat beckons or skipping a workout seems like a good idea, I try to remember that skipping the treat and doing the workout will make me FEEL GOOD! In fact, I know from experience that will make me feel BETTER than the sweet or the extra 30 minutes goofing off. Speculating about why I know all that and still indulge does absolutely nothing to promote my health and fitness. It just takes me out of the moment -- THIS MOMENT -- which is really the only chance I have to make good choice. So, let's get up from the computer RIGHT NOW and do a few jumping jacks, take some deep breaths, drink a glass of water and SMILE! We are lucky to have such high class problems as being overweight and out of shape because WE CAN CHANGE THAT!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! I am overwhelmed with the positive responses so far. See, this is what I ment. When I read what you guys wrote, it makes me want to do the same. As a matter of fact, all my crew at work sent out for sushi today, and I am having my protein shake, and now I don't feel like I missed a thing.
Sometimes its the little things you do. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk to the mailbox. Take the dog for a walk. Just do it, it's a blessing. You may not be in shape to go to the gym, or ride a bike, or whatever. But just start somewhere.Making a concious decision to be more active will change you in ways you never thought possible.
Thanks for the positive input. You made my day brighter, and my way easier.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

That's right Baxtman- we have so many blessings. I live in a country that is safe, I can go and come freely... so I might as well make the right choices! My heart is with those who were devastated this weekend in the Philippines. I can only imagine what they must be going through. You made my day brighter too! Pass it on- it is free.

Bikehikerun- in my first 40 pounds I often caught myself asking if whatever I was about to eat or do was "worth" the calories. I also stopped eating "Diet" or "Light" anything because it was not honest calories. It also was good therapy for me to take a "body inventory" of how I felt right before I was to exercise, how I felt during the exercise and my result or feeling post-exercise. That gratitude at the end of the activity (and it happened EVERY TIME) sometimes was the motivation I needed to get in there on the day that the drive wasn't there.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

Where did every body go? No body started a new thread this week and I was having a good week too. Will there be a new thread on Monday or is this one closed?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

In another week I should be back down to my lowest weight this year. Nyda,
Were are you? Where is every body. Where is the motivation and support?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Update. Thanks Libby, Frenchen3, Bikehuntrun

Sorry for being out of the loop. I am up extra early this morning, so I thought I would update you. I set a high goal. I am 6'1", and was 220lbs. I set a goal of 200 lbs by Christmas on November 9th. So, 20 lbs in less than 2 months. Crazy huh. Not really, because I know it is a matter of choice. At first I started out pretty slow. Just trying to be more active and eat less. Mostly because I have bad knees and working out too strenuously makes them hurt. But I figure the more weight I lose, the easier it is on my knees. So far, so good. I have lost 7 lbs so far. Was able to start working out on the elliptical and free weights. My goal is to meet this goal by Christmas and then set another for Valentine's Day. You can follow me if you want. My profile and journals are open. Thank you to all of you with your inspiring stories. Special thanks to Frenchen3

11/09/13 220lbs
11/22/13 213lbs

Last edited by baxtman1; 11-21-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: adding dta
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 PM
FitDay Member

Default correction

I didn't get your names quite right, but I think you know who I mean.