FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational Starting September 9, 2013: A Better Week (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/10126-motivational-starting-september-9-2013-better-week.html)

canary52 09-08-2013 10:56 PM

Motivational Starting September 9, 2013: A Better Week

Those of you who had a good week, let's make this one even better. Those of us who could use that extra motivation, a little inspiration, a bit more perspiration (in the form of exercise, not random sweating) come on!!!

Goals:
1) Plan food, yes the eating whatever is getting me into trouble!
2) Hypnotize myself into drinking more water: you are getting very thirsty... drink more
3) Daily stretch
4) Gym 3x this week
5) meditate: SERENITY NOW!!!!
6) practice Spanish
7) full day of work: FOCUS

And you?

canary52 09-08-2013 11:25 PM

Plan:
1 egg, 1 egg white
1 Van gluten free waffle with a little Earth Balance marg
apple
chicken noodle soup
1 c cantaloupe
2 T hummus
10 baby carrots
baked pork chop
steamed broccoli

Mern 09-09-2013 02:37 AM

Hope, thanks for starting us off. Great goals and plan! :)

I'm joining the ranks of those suffering from the pollen allergies-- but minus the sore throat. I just feel like my head is going to explode from the pressure even though I took meds as a preventive like doc told me to. But at least I don't have a headache--just pressure, so I'll count my blessings nonetheless.

I'll do as much exercise (up to 30 minutes) as I can do and will eat on plan.

Breakfast: turkey sausage, zero cholesterol egg substitute on a low carb tortilla
Snack: protein shake
Lunch: tuna salad on bed of fresh spinach
Snack: unsalted almonds
Dinner: casserole of baked chicken, low carb pasta and low carb roasted red pepper sauce, green beans, sugar free jello with fruit
Evening snack--don't know yet--something low carb and high protein

libby116 09-09-2013 02:38 AM

I had another good week. My weight this morning is 168.7.
Goals: lose weight and get fit
Drink 8 glasses of water:
Exercise 3x this week:
Calories under 1100:
2 fruits 3 veg:
Let's all have a great week.

adyndravo1 09-09-2013 08:01 AM

I am feeling much better today. I got out and mowed the front and then I walked all over the place and sprayed out 4.5 gallons of herbicide. We have 2 vines around here that are nasty and I hope I have weakened them enough to kill them off this winter.
I know I need to keep up the exercise -at least 5 times this week. And also need to drink my water. Have a good start today.
Okay here's to changing habits. I have a bag of white chocolate m&m's. I pured out a small amount and took to my bed room. Then had to go help with dinner. Did not know the time,so when I got back into my bedroom I ate all of 2 and that was all I wanted:D

Goals this week are
1. exercise 5 times min.
2. drink at least 8 cups water min.
3. Log every thing I eat.
4 post at least once a day.

LChang3 09-09-2013 08:40 AM

Thanks for sharing! Here are mine:

1) Figure out how to set up my profile on this site!
2) Get a good cardio workout in (Zumba)
3) Be mindful of my breathing
4) Plan for everything (on GCal), even if things don't go according to plan!
5) Cut the stress, because it is aging me and making me gain weight.

I hope to see more goals.

Mel-Mc 09-09-2013 09:31 AM

Oh no Mern! The pollen plague is spreading. Take care of yourself. I was down to 8 cough drops today, a real success.

Goals: Keep calories under 1400; M=y
Walk at lunch at least 3 times: 1 done
Detox from the Mt. Dew: M=none

libby116 09-09-2013 10:22 AM

Drink 8 glasses of water: Y,
Exercise 3x this week: N,
Calories under 1100: 1000,
2 fruits 3 veg: 1-4,

adyndravo1 09-09-2013 12:58 PM

The Church people didn't show up on saturday. But right while I was eating lunch 2 showed up. One of them had a chainsaw. Got the dead poplar and logust trees cut down and all the quakies cut out of the ditch. I got a lot of them hauled over to the trailer. So I definately got my exercise in today.

Goals this week are
1. exercise 5 times min.-1
2. drink at least 8 cups water min.m=y
3. Log every thing I eat.m=y
4 post at least once a day.m=y

canary52 09-09-2013 01:18 PM

OH no is it pollen? Or is a head cold the reason I feel so crappy? Plus a fibro flare = Not So Happy Canary/Hope.

libby116 09-09-2013 11:40 PM

The fridge repairman is coming today to look at our 3 yr old Amana bottom freezer fridge. Every week I find a puddle on the floor. Ice accumulates on the floor of the freezer and when it goes through the defrost cycle it thaws and overflows the pan out onto the kitchen floor. I tried unplugging it for 24 hours to see if it was ice in the drain tube but i didn't help. I hope we can get the problem straightened out today. The Diabetes clinic phoned me yesterday to said that they were offering free exercise classes and would I be interested. I was thrilled. Now all I need is a ride into the city. My husband can bring me home. I haven't been to a gym in years and I don't know what kind of exercise we will be doing but any thing is better than nothing. What do women wear to exercise? I'll let you know how things go.

libby116 09-09-2013 11:44 PM

The fridge repairman is coming today to look at our 3 yr old Amana bottom freezer fridge. Every week I find a puddle on the floor. Ice accumulates on the floor of the freezer and when it goes through the defrost cycle it thaws and overflows the pan out onto the kitchen floor. I tried unplugging it for 24 hours to see if it was ice in the drain tube but it didn't help. I hope we can get the problem straightened out today. The Diabetes clinic phoned me yesterday to say that they were offering free exercise classes and would I be interested. I was thrilled. Now all I need is a ride into the city. My husband can bring me home. I haven't been to a gym in years and I don't know what kind of exercise we will be doing but any thing is better than nothing. What do women wear to exercise? I'll let you know how things go.

libby116 09-09-2013 11:45 PM

OOPS did it again.

mcallahan757 09-10-2013 12:19 AM

I had the exact problem with my fridge and it ended up being the ice maker.

Managed to run/walk 2.6 miles today!

Goals are:
Curb my eating to a minimum. As a runner I know I still have to eat to run.
More H2O!
Less impulse eating
Keep up with my food log
Lose at least a pound a week until I hit 145-150

libby116 09-10-2013 02:01 AM

Welcome Mary. When you start logging your food it is a real eye opener to see how many calories you consume. Watch the drinking, its high calorie
and makes IBS worse. The cleaner I eat the less IBS symptoms I have.
Good luck and keep posting.

adyndravo1 09-10-2013 09:07 AM

Hello all. Hope you are having a good day.I have had a busy day. I had forgotten hard it is to get your own wood. It took Bechy and I from 10:30 To almost 2:30 ato go through the brush pile and get out the big pieces and limb them up and put in the back of the truck. We ended up with close to half a cord of green aspens. SHe has a barn but no horses now and we unloaded it there. Still need to do the popular tomorrow. And I got the strawberries planted I had started from runners. My back is a little sore. but hey we got it done:D.

libby116 09-10-2013 12:21 PM

Drink 8 glasses of water: Y, Y,
Exercise 3x this week: N, Y,
Calories under 1100: 1000, 700,
2 fruits 3 veg: 1-4, 2-4

Mel-Mc 09-10-2013 12:30 PM

Goals: Keep calories under 1400; M=y, T=y
Walk at lunch at least 3 times: 2 done
Detox from the Mt. Dew: M=none, T=1 bottle

Stupid sinus problems got worse again. I'm hoping I drank the Mt. Dew to clear my throat early enough in the day that it doesn't ruin my sleep tonight.

Libby: When I'm at the gym I'm wearing black yoga pants and a slightly oversized teeshirt with Tigger on it.

libby116 09-10-2013 01:39 PM

I have heavy legs and I was wondering if when I lose a lot of weight will my legs be slimmer with a lot of hanging skin and is there any thing I can do about it?

adyndravo1 09-10-2013 02:08 PM

Well I am one tired cookie tonight. so a quick post with my goals
Goals this week are
1. exercise 5 times min.-1-2
2. drink at least 8 cups water min.m=y,t=y
3. Log every thing I eat.m=y,t=y
4 post at least once a day.m=y ,t=y

canary52 09-10-2013 03:00 PM

Goals:
1) Plan food, yes the eating whatever is getting me into trouble! Yes and I ate twice as much as was on the plan, no
2) Hypnotize myself into drinking more water: you are getting very thirsty... drink more: yes, yes
3) Daily stretch; yes, no
4) Gym 3x this week: yes, no
5) meditate: SERENITY NOW!!!! no, no
6) practice Spanish- no, no
7) full day of work: FOCUS - yes, yes

canary52 09-10-2013 03:02 PM

Plan for Wed:
oatmeal or cereal and berries
apple
salmon and veg
cantaloupe
soup or hummus and carrots or egg salad
scallops and veg
Vitamuffin

Robingen 09-10-2013 09:54 PM

Hi All

I didn't post any goals this week, but thought I'd like to check in. I just really haven't figured out what to do for goals now. I know I should have them but I don't know what.

I have decided to do a yoga challenge (with myself) of doing it every morning for the rest of this month. (I always did it but usually at night and morning IS better). I know I have to keep up my other goals (water, vegs, etc). I have lost 2 more pounds since I reached goal. But I am struggling about what to do about eating since I like the fact that I am off treats and eating clean.

Anyway, I didn't want to just "disappear" from this thread as I find it disconcerting when others have. Libby, great news on the gym, Mel-mc, good luck with the allergies and Hope get cracking woman! Best wishes to everyone on the thread, hope it's a good week.

JediMindTricks 09-10-2013 10:30 PM

Can I join in? I know the week is half over, but I didn't want to wait until next week started.

My goals are to get to the gym with Thing 3 (nickname for kids) at least twice the rest of this week. Also, I'm going to try replacing all my diet soda with Crystal Light. I'm not a huge fan of it, and love love love my diet soda, but I'm wondering if the caffeine is hindering my weight loss in some way. So...

1. Move more
2. Less caffeine
3. Log food

libby116 09-10-2013 11:50 PM

Welcome Jedi. These are not the droids you're looking for. Sorry just had to say that. I'm just a syfy freak. I used to love my coke zero. It was my every day drink but just one can a day. I gradually cut down to one a week for a treat but last month I cut it out all together. I get fewer headaches and less sugar cravings. I have had the same chocolate bar in the freezer for 3 weeks and only eaten 3 squares of it. I drink water with lemon slices all day long.
Robin: Don't you dare disappear on us. You've been there and you know the ropes. Please give us all the advice that you can to help us make it too. Love ya girl.
Hope, Nyda, Mel, Great goals for the week.
I need to work more fruits and veg into my day.

mcallahan757 09-11-2013 12:19 AM

Well, I kept my calories ALMOST where I wanted them yesterday. The drinking is what put me over the top. Darn Angry Orchard and your delicious hard cider!!!!

I am trying to keep at or under 2000 Cal.
I am so freaking hungry!!!! Or, maybe thirsty? I drink a lot of water though.

I am really enjoying reading everybody's goals and I want to keep up with mine.

canary52 09-11-2013 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 102543)
Hi All

I didn't post any goals this week, but thought I'd like to check in. I just really haven't figured out what to do for goals now. I know I should have them but I don't know what.

I have decided to do a yoga challenge (with myself) of doing it every morning for the rest of this month. (I always did it but usually at night and morning IS better). I know I have to keep up my other goals (water, vegs, etc). I have lost 2 more pounds since I reached goal. But I am struggling about what to do about eating since I like the fact that I am off treats and eating clean.

Anyway, I didn't want to just "disappear" from this thread as I find it disconcerting when others have. Libby, great news on the gym, Mel-mc, good luck with the allergies and Hope get cracking woman! Best wishes to everyone on the thread, hope it's a good week.

Robin, ya gotta stay with us!!!! You're an inspiration!!! Plus yoga challenge sounds like a goal to me. Just because you reach ideal weight does not mean you stop having goals!!!

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks (Post 102546)
Can I join in? I know the week is half over, but I didn't want to wait until next week started.

My goals are to get to the gym with Thing 3 (nickname for kids) at least twice the rest of this week. Also, I'm going to try replacing all my diet soda with Crystal Light. I'm not a huge fan of it, and love love love my diet soda, but I'm wondering if the caffeine is hindering my weight loss in some way. So...

1. Move more
2. Less caffeine
3. Log food

Silly rabbit, of course, you can join!!!!! I love that: Thing 3 for kids. I used to call my DD "She Who Must be Obeyed" (that's came from a friend who watched Fawlty Towers years ago.)
Diet soda is bad on so many levels, not the least of which is that it makes you hold on to weight. I had to give it up and I like having something sweet to drink sometimes. There's a soda Zevia, sweetened with Stevia or sometimes I have a small amount of grape juice in seltzer or just flavored seltzer.

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 102547)
Welcome Jedi. These are not the droids you're looking for. Sorry just had to say that. I'm just a syfy freak. I used to love my coke zero. It was my every day drink but just one can a day. I gradually cut down to one a week for a treat but last month I cut it out all together. I get fewer headaches and less sugar cravings. I have had the same chocolate bar in the freezer for 3 weeks and only eaten 3 squares of it. I drink water with lemon slices all day long.
Robin: Don't you dare disappear on us. You've been there and you know the ropes. Please give us all the advice that you can to help us make it too. Love ya girl.
Hope, Nyda, Mel, Great goals for the week.
I need to work more fruits and veg into my day.

That was funny. But I agree about the diet soda and about the infrequent treats (chocolate in freezer) and about Robin. Don't leave us, girl!!!

Originally Posted by mcallahan757 (Post 102548)
Well, I kept my calories ALMOST where I wanted them yesterday. The drinking is what put me over the top. Darn Angry Orchard and your delicious hard cider!!!!

I am trying to keep at or under 2000 Cal.
I am so freaking hungry!!!! Or, maybe thirsty? I drink a lot of water though.

I am really enjoying reading everybody's goals and I want to keep up with mine.

Yeah that Angry Orchard is yummy but it was a one time (or rare) thing, right? I have been crazy hungry too. Is it something in the air? Can we blame autumn? Though today is hot and humid here so maybe not...

mcallahan757 09-11-2013 04:59 AM

I like the idea of blaming the Autumn!!! Nah, I just like to drink too much. Even through the IBS I will still have a drink or two in the evening most evenings. I looooove those dang Lime-A-Rita's too.

I am already at 1300 calories for the day........ lame. Well it looks like veggies for dinner!

Mern 09-11-2013 05:04 AM

I am woefully behind in reading this week's thread. My apologies to those of you who are so faithful to posting and keeping up with everyone.

I have to come back here and STAY back here. I went to the doc this morning for a followup consultation since my routine blood tests last week. I already knew from my online med chart and the doc's online comment that the tests came back good and she was very pleased with my previously high blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride numbers being reduced to normal and very near normal without meds. BUT she didn't know until today that I had gained another EIGHT POUNDS in the past 6 months. This was the third checkup in a row that I showed weight gain, yet had great blood test results.

All we can figure is that my excess calories to make me gain 8 lbs. was coming from extra protein and good fats, but too much of anything good can also be bad... 8 lbs x 3500 calories to add a pound=28000 calories divided by 180 days equals 156 extra calories per day.

[Edited in later: it wasn't an 8 lb. gain--it was an 11 lb. gain. The corrected math says I was overeating by 214 calories per day for six months. ]

Our plan of attack is:

1. (Her encouragement first--that's the kind of doc she is: :) ) Keep up the good work on limiting my daily carbs to 25g net, dietary cholesterol to 250mg, and sat fat to about 10% of total daily calories as I learned to do pretty much from memory

BUT

2. Log everything to be sure I'm not exceeding 1600 calories per day.

3. Exercise 150 minutes per week--whatever I want to do as long as it is legitimate exercise and however I want to do it--5 days for 1/2 hour per day or just keeping track of how many minutes I exercised on whatever days.

4. Come back for a weigh-in in three months.

So those first three are my simple goals for this week.

jjrudd 09-11-2013 07:21 AM

Wow Mern, what a great Dr you have. A good plan of attack. I haven't exercised that much lately. Should be better once it cools off and I start on yardwork. YUCK but must be done.

My BP has been up a little bit lately. Hopefully it will be down by next week or she may up my meds! Have been noticing I've been "grazing" lately. I do try to have a glass of water instead of doing that.

Hope how goes the writing? I've been working on something but it's very rough and not coming together.

Jenn

Mern 09-11-2013 07:50 AM

Jenn, great to see you here! :D It's been hot as blazes here, too--in the 90s for several days, but my excuse for not exercising was just plain laziness. Best wishes on your yardwork and kudos on the water. I hope your blood pressure goes down before your next checkup.

adyndravo1 09-11-2013 08:00 AM

:)Afternoon everyone. I got in a little house work this morning Then back outy to the back corner. MY friend and I filled up the back of my little pickup again with trees. We figure that we got close to a cord of wood gathered up and hauled down to her house. So any way I have been working a lot of muscles and I am tired to day but not as bad as uesterday
robin please stay you will be missed if you leave.
Hope that was clever about the droids.
Mern sorry you gained so much weight this last year. We all miss you when you don't post.
Speaking of missing where is mike and ian?:confused:

Mern 09-11-2013 10:16 AM

Welcome to mcallahan. Sorry you must deal with the IBS. Enjoy your dinner veggies. Best wishes on formulating goals that will be both achievable and satisfying at the same time.

Nyda, you're getting a lot of exercise moving that wood! Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I certainly don't do well on my own-- I need the support of this group. Oh, by the way, I found "Nyda" as a Native American name with the meaning of "a call"--something to do with a call. The other source I found was French as you mentioned but I've now forgotten the meaning. I love the name no matter what the source. :)

Hope, I should have thought of blaming Autumn for my weight gain. I have to start posting my menues again with you!

Libby, what fun it was to come here after being gone several days again to learn you've still got that chocolate bar in the freezer. I've had a crazy day and haven't gotten in as many veggies as usual, but I was in heaven eating mashed cauliflower with cheese tonight. I've gotten so that I actually prefer it to mashed potatoes. I saw your question about losing weight in the legs and possible hanging skin. I have no idea but look forward to reading what others may have experienced.

Jedi, so glad you joined us. We welcome new members any time--even the last five minutes of a week that's about to end. :) I just always hope our new members know we start a new thread each (USA) Monday morning. I like your nice simple goals.

Robin, I don't diet--I have changed my eating lifestyle and calories so that when I am at goal I should be eating the same way as I do now and about the same number of calories. I can't preach--I know what to do for myself and how to do it, I just haven't been doing it because I got burned out and lost willpower. We all have to find what fits us best as individuals and I just know you will figure it out. Kudos on losing two more pounds, are off treats, and eating clean. I am one who has disappeared several times. I know better--I have found it disconcerting as well when other veterans of this group have left without a trace.

Mel-Mc I hope your sinuses are better. My weed pollen allergy is worse but doc recommended two different generic meds for me to try since the generic Claritin wasn't working. The Zyrtec I took this morning is helping me breathe more easily, but I feel like I'm drowning in post nasal drip. Tomorrow I'm trying the generic version of Allegra to see if that makes me more or less comfortable.

Well, that's about as much catching up as I can muster today. Must go and log my food because I didn't have time to do it earlier today and then hopefully get in SOME exercise. I'm starting fresh after not exercising Monday or Tuesday, so my goal for Wednesday through Sunday is 90 minutes. Next week it will be 150 minutes.

Mel-Mc 09-11-2013 10:43 AM

Goals: Keep calories under 1400; M=y, T=y, W=Y
Walk at lunch at least 3 times: 2 done
Detox from the Mt. Dew: M=none, T=1 bottle, W=1bottle

Mern, congrats of having a great doctor with a good plan. I've never had good luck with the medical profession and my weight. (abusive, indifferent, or misinformed) My sinuses are worse again (see the non-detox from Mt. Dew above due to the nasal drainage) but not as bad as before because I'm on all my medications (loratadine, fluticasone, and supplemental OTC antihistamines when it gets really bad.)

Can you get an exercise buddy? I almost never miss exercise but that is because I'm meeting someone.

Mern 09-11-2013 11:00 AM

Correction: I didn't gain eight pounds since my last doctor visit. The medical assistant said it was eight, but she was wrong--it's an increase of eleven pounds to the tune of 214 excess calories per day for the past six months.

Mel-Mc, nice Wednesday report. :) Kudos on the walking and calories, and even on your Mt. Dew detoxing attempts, but I also have found my Diet Coke helpful in washing away the sinus junk draining down my throat. I think I'll try some club soda tomorrow (or some carbonated water with no sodium in it). Oh, golly, that's not a 64 oz. bottle of Mt. Dew, is it? ;) No, I don't have an exercise buddy, but I do better without one, except if I'm in a class at the Y or on my aerobic walking exercise DVD at home. Wishing you comfort while the allergy season lasts. UGH!

Mern 09-11-2013 11:29 AM

Mel-Mc, when I finally realized my doc's weren't worth the gas I was buying to drive less than five miles to their offices, I decided to keep looking until I found one that was willing to work with me. I am lucky my insurance allows me to do that.

libby116 09-11-2013 12:46 PM

Drink 8 glasses of water: Y, Y, Y
Exercise 3x this week: N, Y, Y,
Calories under 1100: 1000, 700, 754,
2 fruits 3 veg: 1-4, 2-4, 2-3,
I'm still congested and my throat still hurts. I'm drinking a lot of hot tea with lemon and it helps for a while. Friday is DH's birthday and I hope I am feeling better by then. In the mean time I'm staying on track with my diet and doing
what I can to keep the house clean.

Robingen 09-11-2013 01:40 PM

Wow, a tough week for illnesses.

Thanks to those who supported me staying. I will keep on here at least for a while. It's clearly good for me and if I can offer suggestions well :).

I must say I never had much trouble with exercise. Not because I had a buddy but because I enjoy it. Find something you enjoy! If you have trouble being motivated. I know, easier said than done. I will snowshoe when the snow comes. If I am struggling with exercise it's simply about time.

First day in of morning yoga. I have done this before and I know how good it feels. Just gotta get out of bed in time to have time (ugh).

On the diet pop, everything I read says it is awful for your health and for weight loss (sugar cravings, etc). I was totally addicted to diet coke. I quit several years ago and have not even had a taste of pop since. No doubt I am healthier for it.

adyndravo1 09-11-2013 02:18 PM

Had another busy day. I find when I am busy I eat less. I just forget about food until I am done. We are expecting rain tomorrow. It has clouded up and rained a bit tonight. I will have to work hard inside in front of the tv with my walking tapes. Me and the dog are s bit stiff. I had stiff knees this morning when I first got up. Had spagetti with home made sauce. We make a killer sauce and use our tomatoes and garlic and other veggies we happen to have.
Mern thank you for in the information on my grandmothers name.
Libby sorry ot see you are swtill not well. As far as allergies go, my sister and I both suffer from sage brush when it blooms in the fall.
Robin diet coke is the only real vice I have. I have cut back to about half what I use to. It really does help with the sinus and dry mouth which I have in the morning.
hope everyone has a good evening and a great tomorrow.

Goals this week are
1. exercise 5 times min.-1-2-3
2. drink at least 8 cups water min.m=y,t=y,w=y
3. Log every thing I eat.m=y,t=y,w=y
4 post at least once a day.m=y ,t=y,w=y

libby116 09-11-2013 04:58 PM

Earlier this evening we had a thunder storm. Everything is calm now but the humidity is unbearable. I was prowling the kitchen and decide to have a piece of chocolate. No harm done but it's still to hot to sleep.