7 Day Motivational Thread Starting August 26 2013 - Luck is no excuse >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting August 26 2013 - Luck is no excuse

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting August 26 2013 - Luck is no excuse

Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Man! Right when I got the whole "y'all" thing down, I have to learn "Who Dat"? Only if you post a pic of yourself wearing a cheese hat! Thanks! Nice to be back!
That's not going to happen. It would be a shame to cover a head this pretty with a cheese hat.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all. Yesterday morning I had exploratory surgery of my left kidney. Every thing went fine and the doctor didn't find any amnormaletes so there is still the mystery of why it was bleeding. I went home with pain meds and was instructed to drink water and cranberry juice. I became very bloated and when the pain meds wore off I was in agony. In the morning my weight had been 172 and in the evening it was 179. I had to dig out my fat pants for something to wear. My son drove me to the emergency room after tele health advised me to go there. While in the ER I was finally able to go and passed several kidney stones. Today I had some pain but not bad enough to take the codine pills prescribed to me. I hate the way I feel when I take them. I can see how some people would get addicted to them because it feels so bad when they wear off. Thank goodness I only had to take two. The rest are going back to the Pharmacy. I Thought I would be laying in bed and not eating very much. Instead I was proweling the house and eating every thing that wasn't nailed down. Today was especially bad. I will try to get back on track tomorrow. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Wow Libby that sounds like a weird situation, did he not tell you that you were going to pass stones? Anyway, good news, nothing of note in your kidneys. The stones obviously could cause bleeding. My husband had lower back pain for 3 years before they figured out what was wrong. He had all kinds of tests. Finally it was a contrast cat scan that picked up his one kidney stone. The other tests had come back negative. He had one 8mm stone that was "hidden" in his kidney. The finally blasted it, 3 times before all the pieces came out. Anyway, here's hoping you feel better now that these stones have passed.

Goals:
1. Drink lots of water: M-Ok, T-N, W-Y, Th-ok, Fr-ok
2. 7 hours of exercise: M-70 minutes walk/run, T- 40 mins swim, 60 mins yoga class, W-30 mins walk, 60 mins yoga class, Th- 30 mins swim, Fr-0
3. 50 servings fruit and veg: M-11, T-10, W-10, Th-11 Fr-10
4. Post daily: M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y

My weight seems to be sticking, i.e. I have not bounced back up. Staying, so far, at 159. I've got some exercise minutes "banked up" so I should be able to make my 7 hours for the week. Also have already met my fruit and veggie goal for the week. The green smoothies have helped a lot. Can't see that I feel any different though.

Mern, I drive 40 miles to work everyday, 80 miles round trip. I've found ways to use the trip, e.g., listen to educational CD's (e.g. French), enjoy the news etc. I really only mind the drive in snowstorms and nights like tonight, with a long weekend coming, lots of traffic on the highway. When I am tired and hungry and wish I was home
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

I had a headache this morning and I did not get much down. I am feeling a bit better this eveniong- It helps to get my water. Amazing what a littlwater can do to how you feel. I had to turn down my brother for dinner to night and he was paying. He wanted to go to Chuch A Rama. It has the best beffet in town. And to die for carrot cake. I told him I was on a diet and that I had lost 8 pound and he said you go girl. My birthday is dec 14 and I told him he could take me to there for my biorthday.
My long term goal is to lose as much as possible by my birthday then eat what ever I want till after new years. Hopfully whatI am doing is engrained in my head as a habit and I won't blow it too bad. Do you know howo hard it was to say no about dinner. I have been half hungry all day today. but I will hold my grouond and keep this weight comiong off.

Goals this week
8 + cups of water-m=y,t=y,w=y,t=n, f=y
Exercise 4 times m=n,t=1,w=2, t=3.f=4
log everythingI eat m=y,t=n,t=y,w=y,th=y,f=y
post at least once a daym=y,t=y,w=y,th=y ,f=y
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

Thinking of you Libby!! Sorry you had such a bad time.

Was watching Dr.Oz today and he had Bob Harper on talking about his book "Jumpstart to Skinny". All you eat is salad (mostly) for 3 weeks. I would be so bored on a plan like that. 800 Calories a day for women. That seems really low to me?

Jenn
Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mern: Hahahaha! I'll tell DH you're hubba-hubba-ing for him, he'll probably grin wide! Thanks for the kudos on getting a little exercise in. It wasn't much, but I'm really hoping to settle into a routine this week or the next. I should start doing more dinner for breakfast, cod and a tortille sounds amazing right about now. And yeah, we keep the crackers around the house for DH (he loves cheese and crackers) and sometimes I just grab the box rather than thinking about it. If I'm hungry and feel like I need to snack, that's fine for me (I try to just eat when I'm hungry) but I REALLY need to portion myself or I go to town. Glad you found that bad pipe, yikes!!

I don't think it's weight loss so much as the scale finally reading properly - but thanks! I wish I lost 6 lbs. in a week!!! I agree with looking and feeling being the most important, but right now my clothes are feeling TIGHT!!!! haha. I got rid of all of my 'fat clothes' and I am not going to be buying any more of them unless I absolutely have to. My body is going to change, not the clothing!

Robin: You're completely motivational!!!!!!! So happy for you, can't wait to see how you kick butt on the maintenance

adyndravo1: I love your comment about your hips feeling better - sometimes it's that little stuff that keeps us going. "Hey, I couldn't do this two weeks ago, now I can!" Things to remember!

Jenn: Yeah, it's weird how that can happen, but I'm going to have to believe the scale and my clothing. We must be similar in that way! I even asked DH straight-up if I looked like I had gained 23 lbs. and he gave me the most confused look. I had to show him the scale. He's a sweetheart though. He said "well, you still look great, but if you want to get back down I'll help you." (Of course, then he proceeded to make a TERRIBLY high-cal dinner that night, see below, lol!)

quinn: QUINN!!!! So lovely to see/read you! I wasn't aware that anything was keeping you away all summer, I must go back and read all of the old posts, but I am sending you healing vibes, thoughts and juju! I think the last thing I posted about a year ago was that I had gotten the ring, so you probably did sort of just read it from me! Thank you for the compliments! Hope to catch up more soon

libby: That sounds like quite the day and night you had!!!! I am glad you were able to pass some stones and hope that you feel better in the aftermath. I agree with Robin - super-weird the doc didn't mention anything about stones at all. I would call him/her on it. Sending you healing/comfort vibes!

As for meeeee....

Well, sorry I didn't get back and post yesterday afternoon for my Thursday numbers. Friday totally got away from me. One class went wonderfully (PSY 101) and one went so-so (Sensation and Perception) mostly due to a very quiet class and my sudden nervousness when I walked into the room. It'll pass for the next class, and I have an activity planned so that hopefully they'll loosen up a little bit. I then had a faculty reception thingie to go to (I didn't have to go, but it's good to go to them). They had quite the spread of food - I did, however, limit myself to some carrot and cucumber slices along with two of these finger-sandwich wrap things (I did my best to try to figure out what was in them and log them - best guess!). I had only two thin slices which I think worked out to about 70 calories. There were some far unhealthier things there, so I was pretty proud of my choices. I did, however, have a glass of white wine.

I got home at about 6:30 or so, and DH was messing around the house, which looked like a pit. We got into a snit about it (the mess is mostly his mess - he's a hobbyist and his stuff was just everywhere like a hurricane had hit) and then, after making up, he made me dinner. It consisted of potato skins loaded with cheese and bacon and full-fat clam chowder O_O. I ate it, but man, did those calories bloat right up afterwards, I think all told it was about 1200 calories. Yikes! I appreciated the gesture, but considering we had talked just this morning about my losing weight, I had to roll my eyes a little. Oh well. I'm just in "log it and move on" mode today.

After looking at my log closely and my food choices, a few things are jumping out at me:
1) I need to get my sodium under control, pronto. A couple of days were WELL over 3000mg. I'm the type that's very reactive to sodium, so getting that into a reasonable range should help me a lot

2) I'm doing okay on protein, which seems to be a "life change" that has stuck as I've committed to a healthier life. I'd like my protein most days to be around 30%, and it was usually 25% or so. Not bad.

3) Saturated fat needs a check.

4) I need to talk to DH about phasing out the snacks that have crept back into the house, like crackers and bisciuts

5) I'm really happy to be back here!

Some things to be proud of this week:
1) I work on the 3rd floor of my building, which is very wonky-shaped and built in the 60s. It's 50 stairs up and down to my office, which I climb several times (at least 5 or 6, usually) each day. I've been committing to ONLY using the elevator if I am carrying something or if my ankle is acting up (I have a reconstructed ankle). It worked out really well this week - I only took the elevator three times (when carrying class materials). I'm going to try to make this a goal - to always use the stairs. Sneaks in some exercise when I'm not looking, and usually means I'm climbing 300+ stairs per day.

2) I didn't really have any "binge out" days.

3) Communicated food goals to DH as well as a friend at work who will help me if needed

4) Semester is off and running! Hooray! (I'm a weirdo, I love my job).

Below, I've logged both my Thursday and Friday numbers. I am committing to checking in this weekend, too! I'll need it!!!! We have plans to go out to a winery this afternoon with a couple of friends of ours. I'm committing to limiting myself to two glasses of wine (three if there is a very special one that we want to try) and if we get food, I'll be honest with what I log and try to make the best choices I can. I have work to catch up on this weekend as well - still haven't touched my jobs spreadsheet and it REALLY needs to get up to date. I'm committing to doing that Sunday, as well as making sure my Monday lectures are ready to go.

For my coloring scheme below -

Green = met goal (not necessarily happy with the numbers, especially with the calorie counts, haha, but goal is met!)
Red = missed goal
Blue = goal in progress or not applicable on a certain day

1) Log every damn thing I put into my mouth and post daily, good, bad, or ugly. M: 1,968 T: 1,338 W: 1,560 Th: 1,479 F: 2,107
2) Drink 64 oz, of water a day, no excuse, alcohol does not count M: Maybe 16? Yikes T: yes, about 80 W: yes, 72 Th: yes, 80 F: Not quite, somewhere in the 50s.
3) Weigh in on Friday with new scale M-Th: N/A F: yes. Weight 179.8
4) Stop the mindless snacking M: Snacked mindlessly with lunch. All other snacks were planned snacks T: Nothing unplanned W: Stupid crackers!!! I kept it to a 140 calorie binge though, once I realized where my hand was. Th: nothing unplanned F: STUPID CRACKERS.

I want to add in exercise goals, but I know it's not going to happen this week until I catch up with the semester. Any exercise I do is just going to have to be a bonus, I don't want to set up for failure.

T: Managed to get in 40 minutes strength training (Turbo Sculpt)

I have a few life goals too:

1) Stick with the new hair regimen M: yes T: yes, and tried new product W: yes, though dealing with frizzies Th: yes F: yes, and a fantastic hair day for my effort!
2) Courses done and up online by Wednesday morning M: Got 3 of 4 done T: 4th syllabus done; not online yet. W: didn't happen - I got two up Th: I finally got them all up on Thursday F: altered them to be better
3) Jobs spreadsheet Weds afternoon/Thursday; at least updated to current ****Updating this - do it by Sunday! M: No progress T: no progress W: no progress - this won't happen Th: no progress F: no progress
4) Post up some wedding pictures for you all! M: DONE T-Sun: N/A

Here's to a strong weekend! Stick around guys!

~Terri
Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Teri

Weekend warriors! Nice to see you here and on-line! Is it a long weekend there? I think not. Our Labour Day is Monday.

I think it's great that you have those stairs. The small things that matter. So even though you are not able to start a fitness routine you are at least moving!.

So where oh where are my fruit and vegetable competitors this weekend? I had six servings this am in my smoothie.......I am really finding this is helping me think more about getting these in and it is reducing the overall calories that I consume. I can't imagine anyone consuming 9 servings a day long term and being overweight. As a result of all these vegs I have been eating no grains.

Jenn I wonder about the salads. I don't really think Bob Barker is an expert. That was strange. I too think 800 cals a day is not enough.......but I guess it depends on sex, weight, height, muscle mass, fitness etc.

I went for an hour long walk. It is hot! I should have went earlier. I played out the dog, she'll probably sleep the rest of the day.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all. My head is much better today. The pain meds are out of my system and my bodily functions are back to normal but I tire easily. I won't record my weight till Monday so that should give me some time to get back to proper eating. I am drinking water with lemon and cranberry juice to flush my kidneys. My cravings are gone and I am eating well again. Thank you for your concern. It's wonderful to know that people care about me.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 PM
FitDay Member

I have had a restful day today. I got really busy bug and sweeped and moped the floors today. I is really nice here tonight. Once I have my dinner ate I am going for a walk then water my pots. I have loged everything in today including the ice cream for a rootbeer float, and I am way under my calorie max. I am definately going for a walk will post tomorrow

Goals this week
8 + cups of water-m=y,t=y,w=y,t=n,f=y,s=y
Exercise 4 times m=n,t=1,w=2, t=3, f=4,s=5
log everythingI eat m=y,t=n,t=y,w=y,th=y,f-y, s=y
post at least once a daym=y,t=y,w=y,th=yf=y,s=y
Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1. Drink lots of water: M-Ok, T-N, W-Y, Th-ok, Fr-ok, S-Y
2. 7 hours of exercise: M-70 minutes walk/run, T- 40 mins swim, 60 mins yoga class, W-30 mins walk, 60 mins yoga class, Th- 30 mins swim, Fr-0, S - 60 mins walk
3. 50 servings fruit and veg: M-11, T-10, W-10, Th-11 Fr-10, S-9
4. Post daily: M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y

Hey Libby and Nadia glad it was a better day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.