FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational starting 8/19/13; OK let's get this party started (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/10023-motivational-starting-8-19-13%3B-ok-lets-get-party-started.html)

canary52 08-19-2013 12:58 AM

Motivational starting 8/19/13; OK let's get this party started

Hi All, It' me, I'm back (at least for now lol)

Goals:
1) stretch
2) meditate
3) write
4) practice Spanish
5) maintain positive attitude and stop being so grumbly and mean
6) go to gym, now that I rejoined TODAY, yeah
7) stop the crazy out of control rebellion eating (I was on a very strict "health plan")

y tu?

jjrudd 08-19-2013 01:23 AM

Welcome back Hope!!

I want to lose some weight before my next Dr appointment and my family gathering in Oct. I figure if I lose 1lb a week that would be 8lbs in 2 months.

GOALS
1. Keep to carb limit!
2. 4 servings of fruits and veggies
3. 6 glasses of water (at least)
4. Exercise 4X (this should be easy this week as I have to cut grass and do yardwork!)

Personal goals
1. Work on cleaning out another room in house
2. "My personal worth is not measured by what other people think" (still struggling with this one)

Jenn

Kocialapcia 08-19-2013 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 101865)
5) maintain positive attitude and stop being so grumbly and mean

That is scary! I would never attempt not to be grumbly and mean. My whole identity, and the whole way I relate to the world depend on those traits. Stripped of those - who would I be?!

:p

RenewedSoul 08-19-2013 02:15 AM

Hi all. Happy Monday! I had a good week last week. I dropped 6 pounds :eek: and really don't know how it keeps coming off so fast, but I am not going to complain. I eat anywhere from 800 to 1,100 calories a day and only drink water. I walk and do some exercises. I only eat fruits, vegetables, and beans. This is really working for me, and I am getting excited. I plan to keep this a life long pattern, not as a diet. I am going to start working on building muscle/tone soon. Good luck to all of you this week. :)

Week goals:

1. Log everything I eat
2. Walk daily
3. Breathing exercises
4. Daily sit-ups
5. Strength training on arms/small weights
6. Lose 2 pounds

Mel-Mc 08-19-2013 02:24 AM

Wow RenewedSoul, major congrats on the 6lb lost! I'm happyish being 1lb down.

Goals:
1. Log everything I eat
2. Stay between 1200-1400 calories per day
3. Exercise at lunch two days this week

Challenge of the week: Find a way to stay on track during the two workshop days this week. Food and exercise will be out of my control Wednesday and Thursday. Find what control I can in the situation.

canary52 08-19-2013 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kocialapcia (Post 101869)
That is scary! I would never attempt not to be grumbly and mean. My whole identity, and the whole way I relate to the world depend on those traits. Stripped of those - who would I be?!

:p

Frankly, I love this.

RenewedSoul 08-19-2013 04:45 AM

Mel-Mc: I am happy but just surprised. I know it will start slowing down eventually. Good job on the 1 pound loss!

Kocialapcia: You are too funny! Does that mean you're grumbly? :p The word grumbly reminds me of Winnie the Pooh stories and grumpy Eeyore. lol

jjrudd 08-19-2013 06:17 AM

I won't have any trouble getting up to 6 glasses today since cutting the grass makes me thirsty! Half an hour of exercise and the start of a clean yard. Still have a small section left to cut. Going to be warmer on Wed and rain Thurs so I have to make sure I finish tomorrow.

Jenn

canary52 08-19-2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by jjrudd (Post 101866)
Welcome back Hope!!

I want to lose some weight before my next Dr appointment and my family gathering in Oct. I figure if I lose 1lb a week that would be 8lbs in 2 months.

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I want to lose 8 or so pound in 3 months. Maybe we'll motivate each other. Good job cutting grass! And drinking that water. You are my heroine.

I added more goals.

Mike? Mern? Where are you?

RenewedSoul you are kicking butt and taking names.

Mel-mc I would be happy with one pound lost instead of the two I gained.

adyndravo1 08-19-2013 10:05 AM

Hi all. I also lost 6.5 lbs.:eek: I am surprised. I had to weigh twice to be sure ite was aright. I have now lost 15 lbs since the first of the year. My goals worked for last week so I am going to keep them the same. this week I am aiming to just keep the scale where it is. If I should loose more I will be more then happy. Nyda

My goals
drink 8 cups of water a day min.
Exercise 4 times a week.
Log everything I eat

libby116 08-19-2013 10:48 AM

My weight is up to 176 lbs. August is turning out to be a very tough month.
Most days my calorie count is between 700 - 1,000 and I drink my 8 glasses of water, two glasses with each meal and two more in the evening. Exercise has been hit and miss and now my treadmill is broken. Tomorrow I see my doctor for my 3 month blood work check up. He was pleased with my results in May and I have lost some weight since then.

RS: Please tell us more about what you are doing. Your success is fantastic.

adyndravo1 08-19-2013 12:32 PM

Evening ladies and gentelmen. I have finish up my food log for the day and now am going to go cross stich for a while. My goals for this week are
My goals
drink 8 cups of water a day min.n
Exercise 4 times a week.y
Log everything I eat y
hope everyone is haveing a good day. Nyda:)

Mel-Mc 08-19-2013 01:01 PM

Had a pretty good day. The goals were pretty much met, although I went 80 calories over my upper calorie goal. I'm happy with the effort as I've dropped the goal by 200 calories from what I had been targeting.

Goals:
1. Log everything I eat: M=Y
2. Stay between 1200-1400 calories per day: M-1480
3. Exercise at lunch two days this week: 1 done

Congrats to everyone on their big losses from last week.

iansteele 08-19-2013 04:47 PM

I'm going to be really busy this week so I'll keep it simple.

Goals:

1. Under 2k calories per day
2. Exercise 3 times

Robingen 08-19-2013 09:59 PM

I like that Ian, simple goals for a busy week. I have another busy week also and I did not start out logging?!

No weight loss for me in the past week. A guy I haven't seen for a couple months asked me yesterday if I am sick. It felt good to laugh and tell him that I lost the weight on purpose. It does make me think that the goal of 160 is right for me and that I shouldn't go any lower. At this point I am STILL 2 pounds from goal.

Ian I too am setting simple goals this week:

1. No take out
2. Exercise x2.

Next week will be lighter and maybe I will try harder to get those 2 pounds off.

libby116 08-19-2013 11:13 PM

Robin: Your body is telling you that 162 is perfect for you and it is a weight that you can maintain. You have reached your goal. Congratulations.

Kocialapcia 08-20-2013 12:41 AM

In the week of simple goals I will strive to do more of what our Resident Inspirator Renewed Soul is doing: eat mostly vegetables, fruit and beans.
Mostly is the operative word - wheat berries, a handful of nuts and a slice or two of my husband's killer home-baked whole rye bread are still allowed, along with (drum roll) ONE glass of wine only on Saturday and Sunday.

jjrudd 08-20-2013 01:38 AM

GOALS
1. Keep to carb limit! a little over
2. 4 servings of fruits and veggies yes
3. 6 glasses of water (at least) 8
4. Exercise 4X (this should be easy this week as I have to cut grass and do yardwork!)
30 mins cutting grass

Personal goals
1. Work on cleaning out another room in house
while I want to work on going thru boxes I looked in fridge this morning and it needs cleaning out so on to tackling that today.2. "My personal worth is not measured by what other people think" (still struggling with this one)

taubele 08-20-2013 03:43 AM

Hi there ladies and gentlemen :)

I'm not sure if anyone remembers me at all, I've been AWOL for a very long time. Life just got extremely crazy for me in the past year (crazy GOOD, but crazy) and it's still crazy, but I've found myself thinking of you guys a lot, and I think I'm preparing to come back and join once my semester starts.

I have a tendency to be really rambly, so I will try to keep this brief.

Hi! I'm Terri!

I just turned 30 this summer, July 15th (and thanks to Mern for the lovely PM - I was flattered to be thought of and remembered :) )

I started out on Fitday in January of 2011 weighing about 215 lbs, at 5'4.5"
At my lowest, I was in the 150s. That was in 2012. Fitday got me there!

I'm fairly certain I've gained back 15-20 lbs. with moving and other life stuff, but I am very very happy that I've kept most of it off for all this time. I haven't been logging food or exercise, but I have made a lot of permanent food changes in my life (the exercise has been harder, but I try).

I am a college professor in Neuroscience, I got my Ph.D. in 2010. I'm currently on a 2-year stint at a college in Indiana and back on the job market this fall, hoping to find a tenure-track position somewhere to call home :)

And also very importantly, I JUST GOT MARRIED! Wahoo! On August 11th, myself and my long-time BF Michael tied the knot. I couldn't be happier, and I was ALSO happy with being able to fit into the lovely dress in a non "big-girl" size. Don't have the professional pictures back yet, but here's a great one that a friend snapped:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...12136113_n.jpg

Anyway, I am a busy girl - semester is starting, getting used to married life, on the job market, etc. Why not just add in some fitness goals to the mix, right?

I may be back later today or later this week with some jump-in goals once I get my head wrapped around how I want to get back in.

So happy this group is still around! <3 looking forward to getting to know new members and catching up with old!

~Terri

canary52 08-20-2013 04:02 AM

Terri!!!! Of course I remember you!!!!! Welocme back!!! And congratulations!!!!!! Wow!!! You look gorgoues in your wedding pix. So gla dfor you. And so glad you're here.

And isn';t Mern amazing? She keeps track of it all, has a genius for keeping in touch. She's really a special, loving supportive person. Mern your ears must be burning!!! Where are ya?

canary52 08-20-2013 04:05 AM

Goals:
1) stretch - yes
2) meditate -yes
3) write - yes but not enough
4) practice Spanish - no
5) maintain positive attitude and stop being so grumbly and mean - um (I yelled at people in a doctor's office for keeping me on hold on the phone for an unreasonable amount of time - I said lucky this wasn't serious or I would have died by now. DH asked, "You actually said that?" Yes I actually said that. Also I bullied gym personnel into not charging me a $20 "activation fee" to rejoin. An activation fee? Seriously? for a key they could barely activate at first - activating it was pushing a button BTW. I'm chill now tho. JUST DON'T PISS ME OFF!!!! And pick up the %#!* phone and gimme my key!!
6) go to gym, now that I rejoined TODAY, yeah - YES
7) stop the crazy out of control rebellion eating (I was on a very strict "health plan") I did resist getting a burger and fries and Chinese food

libby116 08-20-2013 05:12 AM

I just got back from my doctors visit and all my blood tests were at normal levels. He credits the medications for that but he is glad that I am losing weight He gave me an A+ again and said I lost 5kg. I go back to see him in November. I hope to lose another 5kg by then.

valkyrie0927 08-20-2013 05:37 AM

Hello! I'm new to this... my bf and I are working to lose weight. We do at least 30 min of cardio every day (I've gotten into the Zumba phase so I do an extra 20 min of cardio)... We are trying to change the way we eat. More raw foods less processed... less carbs. So far its just been the difficulties of poor college kids trying to eat healthy... bad foods are so much cheaper. :confused:

Anyway, I've already noticed I'm more flexible so that's pretty cool :D

canary52 08-20-2013 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by valkyrie0927 (Post 101906)

Hello! I'm new to this... my bf and I are working to lose weight. We do at least 30 min of cardio every day (I've gotten into the Zumba phase so I do an extra 20 min of cardio)... We are trying to change the way we eat. More raw foods less processed... less carbs. So far its just been the difficulties of poor college kids trying to eat healthy... bad foods are so much cheaper. :confused:

Anyway, I've already noticed I'm more flexible so that's pretty cool :D

Hi,
Welcome! Great progress! The way this thread works is we list goals, diet goals, exercise goals, life goals, and try to achieve them through the week. But you are welcome to just hang out and visit. Altho you do seem to have goals...

Kocialapcia 08-20-2013 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 101903)
5)
maintain positive attitude and stop being so grumbly and mean - um (I yelled at people in a doctor's office for keeping me on hold on the phone for an unreasonable amount of time - I said lucky this wasn't serious or I would have died by now. DH asked, "You actually said that?" Yes I actually said that. Also I bullied gym personnel into not charging me a $20 "activation fee" to rejoin. An activation fee? Seriously? for a key they could barely activate at first - activating it was pushing a button BTW. I'm chill now tho. JUST DON'T PISS ME OFF!!!! And pick up the %#!* phone and gimme my key!!

:D :D :D See what happens when you try to mess with nature?
I am so proud of you now, though!

Kocialapcia 08-20-2013 07:52 AM

Terri - welcome back! Congratulations and best wishes for wonderful married life!
I remember you from way back! (I was not posting much then, but reading all that you guys wrote).

Let us see more pictures when you get them!

jjrudd 08-20-2013 08:10 AM

Congrats Libby on the weight loss and good Dr report.
Welcome Terri, beautiful wedding photos.
Hope, I think we all have those days!!

RenewedSoul 08-20-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 101886)
My weight is up to 176 lbs. August is turning out to be a very tough month.
Most days my calorie count is between 700 - 1,000 and I drink my 8 glasses of water, two glasses with each meal and two more in the evening. Exercise has been hit and miss and now my treadmill is broken. Tomorrow I see my doctor for my 3 month blood work check up. He was pleased with my results in May and I have lost some weight since then.

RS: Please tell us more about what you are doing. Your success is fantastic.

Libby: I just got tired of getting more and more unhealthy, which increased my weight. I basically only eat vegetables, fruit, and occasionally beans. My diet is 90% raw. This was difficult at first. I have lost 62 pounds in 3 1/2 months. It seems so overwhelming to me to think how much I have lost and that I still have more to go. I am working on changing my thoughts and feelings along with healthy food choices. It is a life long change that I have made. I am approaching my half way point. Once I reach it, I will share my whole story and progress pictures. I am so grateful for people like you that lend me support. By the way, great job on the weight loss and blood tests.

Valkyrie: Hi and nice to meet you. I agree that unhealthy food seems to be cheaper than healthy choices. I know our grocery bill has almost doubled, since fresh fruits and vegetables are the main source of protein in our household now. Good luck!

Mern: Where are you? I miss you! :confused:

Terri: Nice to meet you. The wedding picture is beautiful. You both look so happy. Congrats and good luck!

Kocialapcia: Good luck with your goals and adding more fruits and veggies. Once it is a habit, it's easier to keep up with that type of food choices.

Week goals:

1. Log everything I eat: Yes
2. Walk daily: Yes
3. Breathing exercises: No :mad:
4. Daily sit-ups: Yes
5. Strength training on arms/small weights: Yes
6. Lose 2 pounds: pending

adyndravo1 08-20-2013 08:52 AM

Good day to everyone. I spent some time this morning on finding a plumer abecause we have no cold water pressure. We just get this trickle. I have been really good so far today. I did tomatoes again to day 3 more bottle in the freezer- total 6. I do love my green house. Lunch was a tomato sliced with an ounce fo swiss cheese cooked in microwave. very tasty. I already have all my water in and it isn't 3 pm here yet.
Terri welcome back and congrats on the marriage. I hope you stay married and happy as long as my oldest sister- 52 years and counting.
Valkyrie welcome to fit day. THis really helps if you use it. I post everything I eat and Post at least once a day on this thread. THere are some really neat people on this thread and they are willing to help any one who askes.
Need to go get my walk away the pounds tape done so I can shower and work on supper.
My goals
drink 8 cups of water a day min.m=y
Exercise 4 times a week.m=y
Log everything I eat m=y

libby116 08-20-2013 11:37 AM

calories: M-922
water: Y,
exercise: N

Today went well. It was a busy day with dr. appointment, house work, making meals and taking care of the dogs. I may have over estimated my calories today. It sure would be nice to see the scale numbers moving down.

RS: I am looking forward to hearing more about your weight loss journey.

Mern: We miss you.

Thank goodness for this web site.

libby116 08-20-2013 11:54 AM

Robin: Your body is telling you that 162 is perfect for you and it is a weight that you can maintain. You have reached your goal. Congratulations.

It was none of my business telling you what to do. You know what is best
for you. I am sorry.

Robingen 08-20-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 101918)

It was none of my business telling you what to do. You know what is best
for you. I am sorry.

OMG Libby don't apologize......what you said was very nice and made me happy. I have been less regular than usual with my posting........just busy. It's only 9 pm and I am very soon going to bed.

And I think it was more than your meds that made the difference in your blood tests, healthy lifestyle also:)

canary52 08-20-2013 01:44 PM

Goals:
1) stretch - yes, yes
2) meditate -yes no
3) write - yes but not enough no
4) practice Spanish - no, aye no
5) maintain positive attitude and stop being so grumbly and mean - um (I yelled at people in a doctor's office for keeping me on hold on the phone for an unreasonable amount of time - I said lucky this wasn't serious or I would have died by now. DH asked, "You actually said that?" Yes I actually said that. Also I bullied gym personnel into not charging me a $20 "activation fee" to rejoin. An activation fee? Seriously? for a key they could barely activate at first - activating it was pushing a button BTW. I'm chill now tho. JUST DON'T PISS ME OFF!!!! And pick up the %#!* phone and gimme my key!! T: OK so eye doctor making me wait 45 minutes for my eye apppointment which he triple booked and then dilating my eyes and making me wait another 20 minutes; IS IT ANY WONDER I AM GROUHY?... but then I wnt to a MELT class and chilled right out and I did overpay the kid who took me to and for my eye appoinment so there's that. I am not a TOTAL Grinch
6) go to gym, now that I rejoined TODAY, yeah - YES, MELT class
7) stop the crazy out of control rebellion eating (I was on a very strict "health plan") I did resist getting a burger and fries and Chinese food I am eating everything THIS MUST STOP

libby116 08-20-2013 11:57 PM

It's early. I got up to put the dogs out before they made a mess in the house again. My border collie cross is almost 16 (in October). When she wakes up I have to get her out of the house right away because she loses bowel control. The beagle cross usually wakes me up when she has to go but by then the collie has already made a mess. I opened the windows to let the cool of the morning in. Today is going to be a hot one. My son welded the broken bracket back on the treadmill and put it back together so now I can use it again. The plan is to use the treadmill in the morning and walk outside in the evening. I hope that I can turn my weight around. So far this month I have gained two pounds :confused: I don't know how other people can eat 1400 calories and lose weight. I would love to go to a personal trainer dietitian, but I can't afford it. I would love to go to fat camp for a week and learn a new way of being. Congrats to all the people who are losing weight and winning the battle.

valkyrie0927 08-21-2013 01:18 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm happy to say that last night my bf and I went to Sherlock's for "KCCO" night. I did not have any beer and I did not have anything fried! It was my first "eat out" test :)

Goals:
1. Keep up the 30 min walks
2. keep doing 20 min of zumba
3. eat fresh foods only

50 lbs to go!

jjrudd 08-21-2013 02:36 AM

Libby, I hear ya. Yesterday I got on the scale and I was up the pound that I had lost. I was so frustrated because I exercised on Mon and have been drinking lots of water. I was a little over on carbs but not grossly.

My Mom went to Tim's this morning but I didn't have anything. My Mom made fun because I didn't have anything but I really, really want to lose weight by Thanksgiving. Yes it's vain--whatever. We went grocery shopping and we are well stocked on veggies and fruit now. I will have to watch what I eat a little bit more carefully and hopefully I can turn it around.

taubele 08-21-2013 02:59 AM

Hope: Wonderful to see you!!!!! Thanks for the welcome, and for the compliment on the picture :) That was about 10 seconds after we were intro'd as husband and wife, I love the candid shot.

Mern IS amazing. I hope she pops 'round to see us saying that about her! :D Miss you, Mern!

Honestly, I don't think your "grumpy" red text is actually grumpiness at all, but rather just standing up for yourself, especially in the case of the gym membership. I know that *I* am sick and tired of fees that exist seemingly for no reason and no effort. Ugh. It's gotten completely out of hand.

Libby: Great news on the doc's report!!! Good job! Your calorie count is something I could never do - anything under 1,200 calories and I'm like a rabid bear, biting at anything that moves. I do much better on 1,300+. I'm in awe of how you can do it!!

valkyrie: Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, I wish I was more flexible!! Your starting goals look great, nice and simple. Always better to start simple!!!

Kocialapcia: Thanks for the welcome! :) :) I will definitely post more pictures when I get them. The photog says they'll be online soon and is mailing us a list. Mad at the photographer though, she tried to overcharge me by $650 because she "forgot" that I had changed my debit card midway through the payment plan and had "lost" the records of those payments. Luckily, I had my bank statements and could e-mail. Ugh. As if weddings weren't expensive enough!!!!!

RS: Thanks for the welcome, lovely to meet you too! Your progress and dedication is very inspiring!!!! Thanks for the compliment on the picture, it was a very happy moment!!

adyndravo1: Many thanks!!! I hope we've got 52 years + in us as well. Husband and I have been living together since early 2006, so it hasn't been a huge change in terms of day-to-day, but we're happy and sappily in love still. I like our chances!

Okay, so I decided that this week is a bit too crazy to make any goals; I have a talk to prep for Friday, syllabi to write/revise and a lot of job hunt organization to do, as well as workshops on Wednesday night and Thursday morning (and all day Friday). I need to focus on work. BUT! I have two other goals!

1) Check in here daily! <3
2) Weigh myself on Friday and record the number, good, bad, or ugly.

Then on Monday, I'll start up with some simple goals again.

Woohoo!!!

libby116 08-21-2013 04:20 AM

taubele: My metabolism is so slow that if I eat 1100 calories I gain weight.
It's partly due to my age and partly because of the meds that I am on. All I can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other and never give up.

valkyrie0927 08-21-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by taubele (Post 101933)

valkyrie: Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, I wish I was more flexible!! Your starting goals look great, nice and simple. Always better to start simple!!!

Yes simple goals seem to work the best for us (my bf and I). We both have a lot of weight to put off. Baby steps and one day at a time... I feel like a recovering addict, haha!

canary: Puedo practicar en espaņol contigo

Mel-Mc 08-21-2013 11:34 AM

Goals:
1. Log everything I eat: M=Y, T=Y, W=N
2. Stay between 1200-1400 calories per day: M-1480, T=1430, W=???
3. Exercise at lunch two days this week: 1 done

Today was my big challenge day and I didn't rise to the occasion. All my meals were at the workshop so I had no say in what I ate, only how much. I wasn't unreasonable but I definitely went over my calorie goals for the week. I'm trying to decide if I should count today as one of my "exercise at lunch" days. The tour we had before lunch was even more walking than I would normally get in on the treadmill.

I was up a pound this morning after being good for days. Watch me be down the pound tomorrow after being bad. My body definitely doesn't know about positive reinforcement. :p