Notices

Anybody With a Home-Made Sweet Tea Recipe?

Old 06-29-2013, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Anybody With a Home-Made Sweet Tea Recipe?

I drink a hot cup of green tea every morning but with the warm weather I want to make my own sweet I've tea. I've tried adding cucumbers, blueberries, and strawberries but I never get the ratios quite right and it ends up tasting sour. I want to use as little sugar or artificial sweetener as possible. Any recipes to share?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM
FitDay Member

Sweet Tea Recipe
Servings: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ingredients Add to grocery list
3 quarts cold water
4 pitcher-size cold brew tea bags
Sugar Mixture, recipe follows
Lemon slices, for garnish
Mint sprigs, for garnish
Sugar Mixture:
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
Directions
Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat, pour into a pitcher, and steep the tea bags about 5 minutes. Mix the sugar mixture into the iced tea. Mix well.
Pour the drink mix over ice cubes in a glass. Garnish with 2 slices of lemon and a sprig of mint.
Sugar Mixture:
Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add sugar. Stir to combine.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

Does it have to be sweet?

I have recently become addicted to rooibos tea. We buy whole leaf, not teabags, from Amazon and steep it for 5 to 10 minutes with dried organic grapefruit peel (we just save the peel from grapefruits we eat and dry it on the windowsill in the sun), cool it, add ice cubes and enjoy.

I admit - rooibos is an acquired taste, but no harm in trying, right? I guess you could add sugar if you want... I have never put sugar in any kind of tea (hot or iced) so I don't miss it. Good whole leaf tea is so much better than teabags, you just don't want to add anything so you don't distract from the taste!

(Rooibos does not have caffeine.)