Notices

Cutting out sugar

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Cutting out sugar

This is so hard for me, but I have to do it. I eat way too much sugar -- mostly in the form of fruits. I have fooled myself into believing the sugar in fruit doesn't count. I eat way more fruits than veggies, and my favorite veggie is carrots, which are full of sugar.

Of course, aspartame and the other artificial sweeteners are deadly and Stevia is so expensive. I bought a Stevia plant, and I'm trying to multiply it so I can dry and use the leaves.

I'm determined to keep myself to one helping of fruit a day, probably an apple or berries in a smoothie. No refined sugar at all, not even in my coffee, although that means I'll have to give up my beloved Coffee Mate and replace it with half-and-half.

How do you fight sugar cravings?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

I would just cut out everything I could that contains processed sugar. In fact, that's one of my daily goals. So I rarely eat anything that's made with sugar. It was hard at first, but after several weeks, I didn't have cravings for sweets any more. (All things in moderation..if I'm at someone's house for dinner, I'll have dessert if it's served.)

I'm not a dietician, but I think you'd be better off reducing your overall carbs - carbohydrates get converted to glucose just like sugar does.

Try some cinnamon in your coffee instead of sugar. (And cinnamon is supposed to help boost the metabolism.)

Are you trying to cut back on sugar for a particular reason? Diabetes? Calorie control? I decided to do away with sweets because both my mother and maternal mother had diabetes and I don't want to go down that path.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:18 PM
FitDay Member

Cutting way back on coffee is helping me not want sugar! It's working! The hard part is cutting back on coffee.

I can't put fruit in the same category as white sugar. Surely it's not that bad? It has all the minerals and enzymes with it for metabolism. It's unrefined.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

No, fruit's not that bad - unless you're diabetic and need to watch your sugar/carb consumption very carefully. As you said, fruit has lots of vitamins and minerals, and often lots of fiber as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Be on the lookout, though. Food manufacturers are sneaky with hidden sugars. The sneakiest one I've found is "Evaporated Cane Juice" (in a box of cereal at the local "health" food store.). Table sugar is 100% sucrose: evaporated cane juice is only 99% sucrose. Really healthy stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
FitDay Member

I am a sugar addict and trying to fight cravings is hard. I read that taking vitamin B complex and chromium picolinate 1000mg daily will help. I havent tried yet and I am going to look up the chromium and see exactly what is it before I use it but the vit B sounds like a good bet. I also read liver detoxing foods helps. such as broccoli and cauliflower. When I drink coffe I go white coffee almond or coconut milk and honey. its a sweetener but you use way less its delicious and has good immuno boosting properties but thats just me. be careful with the honey though it can trap you back into sugar. if I was going no sugar at all I would go coconut milk, white coffee (it has a nuttier flavor and more caffeine) cinnamon. Hope I helped.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 PM
FitDay Member

as far as sugar goes i have read that some is needed not alot. Basically from what I've read certain internal organs only run off "sugar fuel" (the brain is one). So the body will always make sure you have enough of that kind of fuel. so eating a small amount of sugar (fruits) is good. The body will make the sugar if it doesn't have it. UNFORTUNATELY if your body has too much sugarit has this strange cycle it goes through. the sugars cut off your bodies ability to "hear" the sugnals telling you your full. so you will keep eating dulling this signal even more so the body thinks its starving and goes into starvation mode. which is to make sure there is enough food for the vital organs. so they start converting more body tissue into sugar which deadens the receptor sights even more causing even more tissue destruction this leads to things like diabetes and multiple organ failure. granted this is a very extreme example to illustrate the process. (the paleo solution by: robb wolf)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

It was hard at first, but after several weeks, I didn't have cravings for sweets any more. (All things in moderation..if I'm at someone's house for dinner, I'll have dessert if it's served.)

I'm not a dietician, but I think you'd be better off reducing your overall carbs - carbohydrates get converted to glucose just like sugar does.

Try some cinnamon in your coffee instead of sugar. (And cinnamon is supposed to help boost the metabolism.)
As someone who has cut soda out I can testify that if you take one day at a time is the best way to cut out your sugar. This is how I did it. I started of one day with going pop free all the way and then on the second or third day if I tempted to drink on or drink soda while out eating/movies, I would. Then I would go three or four days with out, then would let myself have a drink. Know I can only drink half a can then I feel sick.

I have told my both dietician and physician that paying attention to how many carbs you have in a day helps with curbing the cravings sweets. As a type 2 diabetic this plays a big role in my day. Yes, cinnamon is something that one can add to anything and it will help not only with metabolism but it will also help with the ups and downs or high and lows of your glucose.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

I wouldn't cut out sugars entirely, especially not from fruits. You don't want the processed stuff though, that's what is so bad for you. Your best bet is to find a balance and if you can just stick to fruits.